ME-Pan Atlantic Research: Janet Mills (D) heading for the win
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:43:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  ME-Pan Atlantic Research: Janet Mills (D) heading for the win
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: ME-Pan Atlantic Research: Janet Mills (D) heading for the win  (Read 2539 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 10:33:37 AM »

Perhaps Mills wasn't such a bad candidate after all.

Atlas assumes anyone with a vagina is a bad candidate.

Seriously, notice whenever Atlas is bashing someone's "candidate quality", it is almost always a woman. The only exceptions are for over the top offensively bad male candidates like Roy Moore, Bob Menendez, etc.

Ex: Jacky Rosen is a bad candidate because she has a bad haircut and is uninspiring. Donna Shalala is a bad candidate because she doesn't speak Spanish. Randy Bryce is a great candidate despite his multiple arrests, multiple DUIs, delinquent child support payments, etc. because he's a #populist Purple heart white man.

Given that the average female candidate under-performs the average male candidate by 1-2 points, it's not an inherently wrong position in general terms. Just imagine how different things might have been with Howard Clinton winning the PV by 3-4 points.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 01:24:57 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2018, 01:28:27 PM by Representative-elect MAINEiac4434 »

Perhaps Mills wasn't such a bad candidate after all.
Moody’s actually turned out to be a shit candidate. Mills has done an excellent job uniting the left (her featuring Betsy Sweet whenever she can is certainly a positive in that regard), much better than I expected. Hayes running to the right also helped. She’s also come off really well in debates, making me wonder if she got some professional help there, as she was kind of shit at debates during the primary.

Moody has really failed to effectively attack Mills and her tenure as AG. He could’ve concern-trolled about her stance on water rights, which the tribes are still incensed about, and he didn’t. He could’ve accused her of politicizing the office in her vigorous battles against LePage, and didn’t. His entire schtick has been “muh taxes.” He's also become distracted by Hayes’s right-leaning candidacy, and now has to fight her off to keep from dropping even more.

Mills also runs more ads than Moody, and hers are (largely) positive — or at least I’ve seen her run positive ads, and I haven’t seen Moody run one.

So half of this is Mills being a better candidate than we thought, and the other half is Moody being an abysmal candidate.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2018, 01:47:20 PM »

To my larger point, this is from a friend of mine:

Moody hasn’t done a good job reaching out to the right. Hayes and Caron are inept.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies