Meanwhile in Indonesia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:38:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Meanwhile in Indonesia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Meanwhile in Indonesia  (Read 726 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2018, 01:48:47 AM »

Looks like womens' rights in Indonesia has some room for improvement.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-20/indonesian-policewomen-must-be-pretty-subjected-to-tests/10333762?pfmredir=sm
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 11:01:07 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2023, 11:08:33 PM by Meclazine »

Indonesian woman, Lina Lutfiawati, jailed for 2 years for eating pork on Social Media.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-21/tiktoker-jailed-after-saying-islamic-phrase-before-eating-pork/102883182

In the TikTok video, Lutfiawati said "Bismillah" before eating crispy pork skin.(TikTok)

In Islam, consuming pig products is considered "haram" or prohibited.

A cleric reported her to the police for a blasphemous action, accusing her of "consciously eating pork skin as a Muslim".

The court also ordered her to pay a fine of 250 million Indonesian rupiah — or more than $25,000.

It was a nice crispy pork with honey glaze, mushrooms, red chilli topped with lemongrass flamed with whiskey.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 09:16:01 AM »

Nasty cleric sneak.
Republican Party Stalwart
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 01:08:53 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2023, 05:30:50 PM by Republican Party Stalwart »

Indonesian woman, Lina Lutfiawati, jailed for 2 years for eating pork on Social Media.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-21/tiktoker-jailed-after-saying-islamic-phrase-before-eating-pork/102883182

In the TikTok video, Lutfiawati said "Bismillah" before eating crispy pork skin.(TikTok)

A cleric reported her to the police for a blasphemous action, accusing her of "consciously eating pork skin as a Muslim".

The court also ordered her to pay a fine of 250 million Indonesian rupiah — or more than $25,000.

It was a nice crispy pork with honey glaze, mushrooms, red chilli topped with lemongrass flamed with whiskey.

It would be funny if she could evade prison by saying "I'm not a Muslim."

The thing is, I suppose that if she has publicly identified as Muslim already in her life, she wouldn't want to out herself as an "apostate." But from a legal perspective, does Indonesia have any anti-apostasy laws (whether "only for Muslims" or not)? Based on what I know, I would imagine the answer is no, but the contrary wouldn't surprise me. IIRC, the Indonesian constitution on paper guarantees "freedom of religion," but only six religions - "Islam," "Catholicism," "Protestantism," "Hinduism," "Buddhism," and "Confucianism" - have constitutional legal "recognition" as legitimate, and every Indonesian must be documented as belonging to one of those religions (have their religion listed on their national ID cards, passports, etc.) unless they apply for specific unique exemptions (for folk religions, modern new age cults, etc.), and there has also been state-sponsored persecution of avowed atheists in the country historically. Based on all of this, an anti-apostasy law "for Muslims only" wouldn't seem out of the question.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2023, 06:09:00 AM »

It would be funny if she could evade prison by saying "I'm not a Muslim."

The thing is, I suppose that if she has publicly identified as Muslim already in her life, she wouldn't want to out herself as an "apostate." But from a legal perspective, does Indonesia have any anti-apostasy laws (whether only "for Muslims" or not)? Based on what I know, I would imagine the answer is no, but the contrary wouldn't surprise me. IIRC, the Indonesian constitution on paper guarantees "freedom of religion," but only six religions - "Islam," "Catholicism," "Protestantism," "Hinduism," "Buddhism," and "Confucianism" - have constitutional legal "recognition" as legitimate, and every Indonesian must be documented as belonging to one of those religions (have their religion listed on their national ID cards, passports, etc.) unless they apply for specific unique exemptions (for folk religions, modern new age cults, etc.), and there has also been state-sponsored persecution of avowed atheists in the country historically. Based on all of this, an anti-apostasy law for "Muslims only" wouldn't seem out of the question.
Aceh is a full blown theocracy  as it stands right now.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2023, 07:24:51 AM »

Yes, that was basically the price of ending the insurgency there.
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2023, 03:42:38 PM »

Well yes but she isn't from Aceh as far as I can tell; the court which sentenced her (and presumably she herself) is located in Palembang, which is a city in South Sumatra, not Aceh.

Also, apparently her "crime" wasn't just eating pork per se, but rather eating pork immediately after saying "bismillah" (Arabic for "in the name of God," used by Muslims as a grace before eating), and ergo "publicly identifying oneself as a Muslim whilst simultaneously eating pork."
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2023, 06:01:05 AM »

Well yes but she isn't from Aceh as far as I can tell; the court which sentenced her (and presumably she herself) is located in Palembang, which is a city in South Sumatra, not Aceh.

Also, apparently her "crime" wasn't just eating pork per se, but rather eating pork immediately after saying "bismillah" (Arabic for "in the name of God," used by Muslims as a grace before eating), and ergo "publicly identifying oneself as a Muslim whilst simultaneously eating pork."
So, she blessed the pork?
Stalwart_Grantist
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2023, 05:28:02 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2023, 05:37:42 PM by Republican Party Stalwart »

Aceh is a full blown theocracy  as it stands right now.

So, she "blessed" the pork?

Yes, and therefore she evoked a theological paradox, which was certainly seen by the clerics as sacrilegious and irreverent, and probably more offensive than just eating pork in and of itself.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2024, 07:07:22 AM »

Two foreign women tried to leave a nail salon in Indonesia without paying, then pulled some woke crap argument with staff threatening to give the salon bad reviews on social media.

Bad Move

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1XBx9HuW1W/

Indonesia is avoiding the woke phase by the looks of this. They are actually really nice people.
icc
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2024, 08:13:19 AM »

In what way is that 'woke'?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2024, 08:45:59 AM »

That "everything I don't like is Hitler" pic - but ending with "woke" instead.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies