NJ-Quinnipiac: Menendez +7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:12:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Senatorial Election Polls
  NJ-Quinnipiac: Menendez +7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NJ-Quinnipiac: Menendez +7  (Read 2527 times)
kyc0705

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 04:18:35 PM »

Why didn't he lose in the primaries? Why do people continue to vote for such people in primaries... .

Because nobody with any infrastructure or name recognition ran against him. The New Jersey Democratic machine is almost comically strong. Still, it's telling that Menendez's one primary opponent managed to win 40% of the vote, despite being completely anonymous. In effect, many voters were willing to go for her purely as a protest vote (myself included).
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 04:23:33 PM »

Why didn't he lose in the primaries? Why do people continue to vote for such people in primaries... .

Because nobody with any infrastructure or name recognition ran against him. The New Jersey Democratic machine is almost comically strong. Still, it's telling that Menendez's one primary opponent managed to win 40% of the vote, despite being completely anonymous. In effect, many voters were willing to go for her purely as a protest vote (myself included).

What's surprising to me is not how strong the machine is, but that someone like Menendez was ultimately able to exercise control over it. The NJ Democrats place absurd value on loyalty. Competent machines would have rightly forced him off the ballot.
kyc0705

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 04:28:24 PM »

What's surprising to me is not how strong the machine is, but that someone like Menendez was ultimately able to exercise control over it. The NJ Democrats place absurd value on loyalty. Competent machines would have rightly forced him off the ballot.

It probably just added up for them that it was worth the risk, in exchange for retaining that "loyalty" factor. That is, they felt that Menendez was too loyal to drop, and concluded that New Jersey is sufficiently inelastic for federal elections that he could pull through anyway (if by relatively low margins considering the national environment).
cvparty
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 04:31:21 PM »

bob is a loser
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 04:44:30 PM »

538 adjusted this poll to show Menendez with a lead of just 5.8%.

Schumer is worried enough to pump in an extra $3 million.   

If Moore deserved to be defeated, so does Menendez.

For us you could argue that, but seeing as you were all in for Moore...
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2018, 09:05:22 AM »

Despite what polls may be showing, I find it hard to believe that Menendez will do notably worse than whatever Clinton's margin would be among the same electorate. Ergo, I find it hard to believe that Dems are looking at multiple House pick-up opportunities at the same time that Menendez is looking at single-digit win or loss, corruption allegations or not.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies