FL Southern College: Scott +2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:59:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Senatorial Election Polls
  FL Southern College: Scott +2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: FL Southern College: Scott +2  (Read 3794 times)
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2018, 01:19:48 PM »

I wonder what an impact Hurricane "Michael" will have on this Senate Race. Usually with this kind of Devastation the Governor gets a bump in his Approvals if he responds well to it and Scott has.

That depends on how big the hurricane is and how much damage it did, and the particulars of the Governor's media presence and what they did/didn't do.

Most of Florida wasn't affected too much by this. Over in my area (Treasure Coast), it wasn't any different than any number of storms we've had all year. So, if I had to guess, it's not really going to help or hurt Scott. At least outside of the areas of the panhandle that got hit hard, and most of that area is already heavily Republican.

The Problem is: Scott needs those Voters in the Pandandle. They need to come out in the same way they supported Trump 2016.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2018, 01:32:14 PM »

Yea, he does need them. It's hard to see how even a fantastic response to this would super charge turnout though. If anything, it would hurt turnout. And Republicans have maxed out a lot of those areas in recent years, so good marks on the hurricane response won't do too much with the voters that do turn out.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2018, 02:03:57 PM »

Yea, he does need them. It's hard to see how even a fantastic response to this would super charge turnout though. If anything, it would hurt turnout. And Republicans have maxed out a lot of those areas in recent years, so good marks on the hurricane response won't do too much with the voters that do turn out.
This is all probably a wash. Maybe if the response is seen as exceptional, it could net benefit Gillum because he was on the ground and benefited from the subsequent reduced turnout.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2018, 03:21:55 PM »

This is all probably a wash. Maybe if the response is seen as exceptional, it could net benefit Gillum because he was on the ground and benefited from the subsequent reduced turnout.

I think Scott still has a chance winning that Race. Q-Pac's Poll having Nelson up 8 or 9 was complete crap.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2018, 11:25:14 PM »

I think there are some ways that Michael helps Scott:

1. Swing voters/people planning on staying home show up to vote for Scott as a sign of gratitude.
2. Gillum bungles the local response hurting him in the governors race and dragging down Nelson with him.
3. Gillum does a good job but the media successfully sells an anti-Gillum narrative.
4. Damage in Tallahassee and Gadsden County causes turnout there to drop.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2018, 11:30:57 PM »

1. Swing voters/people planning on staying home show up to vote for Scott as a sign of gratitude.
2. Gillum bungles the local response hurting him in the governors race and dragging down Nelson with him.
3. Gillum does a good job but the media successfully sells an anti-Gillum narrative.
This might be true in an alternate universe, but currently, Gillum has been praised for his work, and DeSantis is being attacked for campaigning during the hurricane. Meanwhile, Scott is being attacked by veteran groups and even the Trump admin. on his handling of the situation.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2018, 11:41:15 PM »

Tallahassee and most of Gadsden had a loss of power, further west you have loss of homes.  Power will be running in Tallahassee and Gadsden by the end of this week.  Further west, replacement housing will not be available for some time.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2018, 11:36:08 AM »

I can't see a scenario where democrats lose FL while simultaneously winning MT and WV. It just doesn't seem logical. If democrats lose this, they probably are having a very bad night, at least in the senate.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2018, 01:26:52 PM »

Florida is independent of those two states. You basically have the equivalent of two incumbents going at it, since it's the sitting governor challenging a sitting Senator. I could see Florida going Republican and the other two states remaining in D hands very easily.

With that said, I could also see the Dems keeping all three seats.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2018, 09:16:14 AM »

I can't see a scenario where democrats lose FL while simultaneously winning MT and WV. It just doesn't seem logical. If democrats lose this, they probably are having a very bad night, at least in the senate.

Why? MT and WV are still very Democratic-friendly down ballot, Tester and Manchin are far stronger incumbents than Nelson, and the GOP candidates in MT/WV are not only getting heavily outspent but also running incredibly poor campaigns.

Heck, WV elected a Democratic governor by 7 while voting for Trump by 42 points, and Morrisey is almost certainly less popular than Bill Cole was.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies