A Different Republican Icon (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:56:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Different Republican Icon (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who do you think will win the 1980 Election
Fritz Hollings

Jack Kemp

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: A Different Republican Icon  (Read 68053 times)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« on: October 14, 2018, 06:05:25 AM »

GOLDWATER, YES!!!

I CALLED IT!!!
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »

quick question, will this take place in the 1960, 1964, or 1968 Presidential Elections?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 09:01:54 AM »

interesting that it's in 1968 instead of 1964. Either Kennedy survives TTL or Rockefeller wins California due to the birth not happening, though that would have ramifications with Johnson effectively killing off the Liberal wing of the Republican Party in a landslide, as I don't see Goldwater coming back after losing in a landslide in 1964.

also:

I hope I wont disappoint you and hope you will enjoy this TL.

I have also decided to start this TL on the 20th instead of 27th

WOOHOO

3 day wait!
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 02:28:36 PM »

quick thing to note: Rockefeller HAD to win California AND Illinois to get the Nomination in 1964, not one or the other, BOTH. The only way he could've gotten that was if the birth didn't happen until after he was Nominated, which I think is possible, though the birth would cause to lose a lot of support and maybe even Utah and the West entirely.

Who was Rockefeller's running mate?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 05:22:11 AM »

Something interesting for your TL, in 1964 OTL, William Scranton of Pennsylvania was originally considered for Goldwater's running mate until the Scranton Letter appeared. Perhaps Scranton is Goldwater's Choice ITTL?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »

Either it'll be Kennedy v Goldwater or Kennedy dies and it's Goldwater v Humphrey
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 07:13:47 PM »

Goldwater v Humphrey!
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 10:41:28 PM »

My guess is of course Texas can go Republican in 1970 since it already went Republican in 1952 and 1956.

Thats true but other than the Presidential Level, Texas hasnt voted for a Single Republican State Wide since Reconstruction(and OTL Bill Clements in 1978 was the first Republican to do so).

So there are lots of doubts that they can win statewide at another level but Presidential, though unlike the past when victory was assured for the Democrats this time the GOP is viewed to have a really good chance of winning the state

You forget about me John Towers, who won the 1961 Special Election for LBJ's Seat in 1961 and won Re-election in 1966 on his own, so by the 70s, it was only a matter of time and candidate Choice for both Senate seats to turn Republican
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 09:14:34 AM »

What Goldwater should do to end the War quickly is launch an attack on Hanoi and force the North Vietnamese to Surrender. That is the only way to end before the war gets too bad like it did OTL.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 09:36:49 AM »

What Goldwater should do to end the War quickly is launch an attack on Hanoi and force the North Vietnamese to Surrender. That is the only way to end before the war gets too bad like it did OTL.

Do you mean US forces should invade North Vietnam or just do an operation similar to this one :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Linebacker_II

An Invasion of North Vietnam as it would be able to stop NV's support of the Viet Cong by forcing them to support more for their homeland and allow the SVA some breathing space.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 11:42:00 AM »

Goldwater '72, Nixon '76, Nixon '80, Ford '84, Ford '88, Gore '92, Gore '96, Liz Dole 2000, Liz Dole 2004, Warner 2008, Warner 2012, Paul 2016

Tongue
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 07:43:12 PM »

Why Sanford over McCarthy

Goldwater '72, Nixon '76, Nixon '80, Ford '84, Ford '88, Gore '92, Gore '96, Liz Dole 2000, Liz Dole 2004, Warner 2008, Warner 2012, Paul 2016

Tongue

In this TL the Reagan never teamed up with Rockefeller in an attempt to derail Nixon. Would that make you more inclined to support him or not that much

No, he's still a person who went to far right and pretended to use the narrative of the party left him to win over Democrats. I prefer Moderates to former Democrats who went too far to the right.

EDIT : and yes, that means that I would rather vote for a communist than him, even if I know both are bad
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 07:59:38 PM »

Why Sanford over McCarthy

Tongue

In this TL the Reagan never teamed up with Rockefeller in an attempt to derail Nixon. Would that make you more inclined to support him or not that much

No, he's still a person who went to far right and pretended to use the narrative of the party left him to win over Democrats. I prefer Moderates to former Democrats who went too far to the right.

EDIT : and yes, that means that I would rather vote for a communist than him, even if I know both are bad

I would say Reagan's change to become a Conservative was genuine though. While he officially switched in 1962, he had basically become a Republican by 1952 and supported IKE twice and Nixon in 1960. He also was more pragmatic when he actually governed than when he campaigned .

I still don't care. Being pragmatic will not earn my support. Being a Hard Core Conservative will not earn my support. Iran-Contra is just one of the many things I dislike Reagan over, but it's a big reason, not to mention calling Dukakis an invalid in 1988 (I don't like Dukakis, but that was too harsh and borderline slander. In order to earn my support, you have to prove you're a moderate through governance (like Ford) or be incredibly humble and Libertarian in your approaches (like Goldwater) which is why I support Goldwater and Ford over Reagan any day of the week.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 04:03:24 AM »

Fun fact, when Joe Biden ran IOTL, he was considered a sacrificial lamb and wasn't supposed to actually win.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2019, 07:14:01 PM »

Will an alternate roe v wade happen ittl?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 07:06:00 PM »

what would be interesting is to see a Reagan/Brooke ticket in 1980 (Reagan considered it in 1968) if Brooke re-election. It would be a great opportunity to show how much America has changed by electing the first AA VP.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2019, 10:05:23 PM »

Senator Floyd Spencer when?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 01:26:34 PM »

I'll vote Hollings. Sorry, but I'll always, always, despise Fake Conservative Ronnie Raygun and his idiotic VP choice George "voodoo" Bush Sr.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2019, 06:18:58 PM »

Prediction : Reagan wins in 1976, loses in 1980 to some new deal/establishment Democrat (though I could see him winning term two. This is a OSR TL after all), then we have an epilogue explaining Goldwater's legacy as well as how the establishment of both parties are great and can never be replaced and in the modern day, we in the administration of an establishmentarian and almost everything is great.

Just a hunch from me Tongue
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 05:40:54 PM »

What was the final npv for 1968, 1972, and 1976. I want to make infoboxes of these Elections and post them here for OSR.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 09:31:40 PM »

What was the final npv for 1968, 1972, and 1976. I want to make infoboxes of these Elections and post them here for OSR.

Don't forget 1964

Thanks for the reminder!
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 12:34:46 PM »

here's the 1964-1976 POTUS Election Infoboxes. I can't do them with Maps so if you would like to see that, ask Peebs or someone more skilled in wikiboxes than myself.

1964 -

1968 -

1972 -

1976 -

BTW, I might send you a message in a few OSR, so keep an eye out for when I do that. Now, back to writing my MLaaTR fic. Hope you all like these Smiley
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2019, 12:40:42 PM »

They look great New Tennessean Politician, thank you for making them.

You're very welcome Smiley

Also, Ford only ever in the speakership, he never once wanted the job of President and had Nixon not have resigned and Watergate not have happened, he wouldn't have ran for the Presidency at all. The more realistic Republican frontrunners for 1980 would be Kemp, Nixon, and maybe Bush Sr. Reagan could consider another bid, since he barely lost because of Alabama of all states, but that's up to you.

Will Hollings face a Kennedy primary challenge in 1980 or will he be unopposed?
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »

Also, if I can help with anyone potentially doing TLs yourself one day, use the Wikipedia state-by-state results and change them as you see fit to get an accurate NPV via Google Spreadsheets. Or, if you don't feel like doing that, get the Raw Vote Total from the election's wikipedia page in #results and then use percentage calculator and later decimal rounder to get the the NPV you want.

also, if possible, please put in how many states a candidate won. I lose track of which states I already counted and which states I haven't many times. It makes it easier for those doing infoboxes. Thanks and hopefully this helps some Smiley
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2020, 02:00:34 PM »

I wonder how Goldwater will get elected. Also I guess his presidency won’t be too bad if the title is to be believed.

You are way late, bud
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies