A Different Republican Icon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:43:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Different Republican Icon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23
Poll
Question: Who do you think will win the 1980 Election
Fritz Hollings

Jack Kemp

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: A Different Republican Icon  (Read 68074 times)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 07:13:47 PM »

Goldwater v Humphrey!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 11:46:07 PM »

Former Vice President Nixon and Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen endorse Senator Goldwater after his win in Illinois which results in Governor Romney dropping out of the race. McCarthy wins Illinois but nomination will be decided at the Convention.

Goldwater and McCarthy win Illinois Primaries

Illinois Primary:

Republicans: Goldwater: 56%, Romney: 43%, Write-In: 1%

Democrats: McCarthy 39%, Kennedy 35% , Humphrey 25%, Write-In : 1%

Brinkley: With the win in Illinois I think we can safely say Senator Goldwater will be the Republican nominee and we are getting news that Former Vice President Nixon and Senate Minority Leader are about to make a statement endorsing Goldwater. On the Democratic side well, all we can say is it will be decided at the convention.

Former Vice President Nixon and Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen endorse Goldwater and ask that the party unite behind Senator Goldwater as the nominee :

Private Conversation between Governor Romney, and his advisor:

Romney: So with Nixon and Dirksen endorsing Goldwater is there any plausible chance I could still win the nomination

Advisor: I dont really see it as now its likely both the Conservative Wing of the Party and a lot of the GOP establishment will back Goldwater as well. I think its better for you to drop out of the race give a little support to Goldwater so either two of these things happen: if Goldwater wins you can get a cabinet spot in his Adminstartion or if he loses you would become the Frontrunner in 1972.

Romney: Ok I will do that

Romney Drops out

Romney: I want to thank everyone who supported and worked so hard for this campaign and while we all our dissapointed , remember change at the end of the day does not come from me or anybody who runs for President but you and you should never give up hope(Applause). Thank You Again

Brinkley: With Romney dropping out we can offically declare that Goldwater will be the presumtive nominee for the Republican Party
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2018, 01:07:36 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2018, 06:03:05 PM by Old School Republican »

NBC 1968 Election Special: Goldwater's Running Mate Selection

Huntley: Now that the Republican Nomination battle is over, the next step in the process is for the Presumptive Nominee , Senator Barry Goldwater to select a running mate. We are told he will announce who his running mate will be a day or two before the convention so all we can do now is speculate but we have gotten a list of names from top leaders of the GOP of who may become the Vice Presidential Nominee. So David who do you think are the 5 best choices out of that list .

Brinkley: First of all I want to start off by letting people know that Governor Nelson Rockefeller, Governor William Scranton have already made it clear they have taken themselves out of the running. So now lets look at the 5 best and here they are

George Romney:

Strengths: Would be the best choice to quickly bring Liberal Republicans on board, would bring working-class appeal to ticket and help in states like Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin.

Weaknesses: May reduce enthusiasm of Conservative Voters, Would hurt party's attempts of making inroads in the South and their differing views may lead to Governing Problems.

Ronald Reagan:

Strengths: Would almost Guarantee that California would go Republican and would greatly help the ticket in Texas as well, Very Charismatic and would drive up turnout among Conservatives even more

Weaknesses: Would not bring Ideological or Geographical Balance to ticket, May even hurt ticket in attempts to win critical Midwestern states and doesnt have much experience either.

Huntley: May I like to add that Governor Reagan may not even want to be Vice President as being the California Governor is a much better job and would set him for the Presidency in either 1972 or 1976 better than the Vice Presidency would. Also if Senator Goldwater needs Reagan on the ticket to win California, he will probably lose the election because out of all the major states California is the most likely to go Goldwater's way.

Everett Dirksen:

Strengths: Is popular among all wings of the party, would help the ticket greatly in Illinois and the Midwest in General, and if elected could use his experience in the Senate to help pass the administration agenda through the Senate.

Weakness: Too Old, and may help a possible administration more as Senate GOP leader than Vice President.

James Rhodes:

Strengths: Would help ticket win Ohio, help ticket with blue collar voters , Bring executive experience as well

Weaknesses: Wouldnt bring enthusiasm to the ticket, while not unpopular he isnt popular with any wing of the party either.

Spiro Agnew:

Strengths: Popular by both Moderates in Party and Law and Order Conservatives, Would help ticket make inroads in the south

Weaknesses: Could be of a wildcard due to being inexperianced and controversial as well

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2018, 02:17:14 AM »

Summary of Campaign in July:

Goldwater Releases Detailed Platform signaling he will seek a policy mandate from the voters

Brinkley: Senator Goldwater released his detailed platform today , where he clearly asks for a conservative policy mandate from the American People. Now while we cant read you the entire platform we can summarize it for you and here's the main details of the platform

Economic Issues: On tax policy, Goldwater calls for the income tax code to be overhauled from the current 25 tax brackets which have rates as low as 14% and go as high 70% all the way down to 5 bracks which have rates as low as 10% to a high of 40% along with getting rid of many deductions in the tax code. On Government Programs he has called for much of the spending which goes in direct aid to beneficiaries to go to state and local governments instead as he claims they can spend the money on programs in a more efficient mater. He has also called for an audit of all federal expenditures of the past 5 years and promises to immediately cut spending which is considered to be wasteful. Finally, on Regulations, he promises to create a task force which would be tasked in identifying unnecessary and unconstitutional regulations and then promises to get rid of those regulations immediately.

Foreign Policy: His strategy is to do anything to force the North Vietnamese on the Defense. He believes this would force the North Vietnamese to negotiate with good faith to end the war for good. He claims to implement this strategy he will consult with the generals on the ground as he believes they are the people who know best of how to win the war.

On the issue of civil rights, Goldwater has called for the continuation of integration policies and aggressively enforce the laws to end Jim Crow in the south. Lastly he claimed he would bring law and order back to this nation.

Humphrey and McCarthy Slam Goldwater's Platform

Humphrey: Senator Goldwater's economic platform would be a disaster to the working class people in our nation and would be a gift to the rich.

McCarthy: Senator Goldwater foreign policy would actually expand the war , which is the last thing our nation needs. We need to end the War on Day 1

Former 1964 Dixiecrat Nominee George Wallace says he wont run again in 1968 but he wont endorse either side either.

Wallace: While I wont be running for President Again, I wont be endorsing either side and the reason is simple, both sides show contempt for non-elitists. The Democrats completely show contempt for people outside the Washington Elite and would trample on the rights of states while the Republican Nominee shows contempt for anyone who isnt rich and would trample on the rights of states to protect them.

Senator Goldwater challenges eventual Democratic Nominee to 3 Presidential Debates. Both Humphrey and McCarthy agree to the challenge

Brinkley: Senator Goldwater today announced he will be challenging the eventual Democratic Nominee to 3 Presidential Debates, one about Domestic Policy, one about Foreign Policy and one town hall style debates. Both Senator Humphrey and Congressman McCarthy agreed to the challange .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2018, 11:30:02 PM »

Breaking News: Goldwater selects Ohio Governor James Rhodes as his running mate

Brinkley: News as just come in that Senator Goldwater will select Ohio Governor James Rhodes as his running mate.  This is not a big surprise as Governor Rhodes was one of the two finalists for the Vice Presidential Pick along with Senate Minority Leader Dirksen and Senator Goldwater probably came to the conclusion that Senator Dirksen can do a lot more as the GOP leader in the Senate then he can as Vice President.

Huntley: Also Governor Rhodes and Senator Dirksen both are equally good picks when it comes to electoral politics , so the fact that Party Leader in Senate is a more powerful role than Vice President is why he probably did not choose Senator Dirksen in the end. Now lets go to Cincinnati, Ohio where we are told that Goldwater will officially introduce Governor Rhodes as his running mate

Goldwater Introduces Rhodes at a rally in Cincinnati:

Goldwater: Thank You, Thank You. As you may know two days from now the convention will begin and I will be asked to name who I believe should be nominated as our party's Vice Presidential Nominee and after careful consideration, I have decided that person will be Ohio Governor James Rhodes(Applause). Over the past 6 years Governor Rhodes has done a great job as the Governor of Ohio and I am sure he will make an excellent Vice President. As Governor he has cut taxes , implemented policies which incentivized businesses to invest in Ohio and due to his leadership the state of Ohio has boomed economically (Applause). Now it is my honor to introduce to you my running mate and hopefully our nation's next Vice President, Governor Jim Rhodes(Applause).

Rhodes: Thank You Thank You. I want to start of by thanking Senator Goldwater for giving me the honor of being your running mate and the chance to serve our nation as our next Vice President(Applause). Over the past 4 years we have seen our nation get bogged down in a war in Vietnam due to incompetent war leadership, countless new government programs created here at home with no guarantees of accountability, inflation going up year after year and unrest getting worse and worse. It is time for a change, and Senator Goldwater represents change better than any potential candidate and I'm confident would help bring upon change. Now the Democrats all across the nation have claimed that Senator Goldwater tax proposal is too radical and would not work, well as Governor of Ohio they said the same thing about my proposals and guess what we did cut taxes and not only did it not lead to disaster as they said ,it led to the state of our economy get better.

Thank You, May God Bless You and May God Bless America
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2018, 12:35:17 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2019, 06:15:32 AM by Dave Leip »

1968 RNC: Party Unites after Successful Convention and Goldwater makes up major ground in the polls

Major Speakers At Convention and Summary of their Speeches:

Image Link

Former President Dwight Eisenhower: Talked about Vietnam and the Cold War and why Goldwater would do a good job at dealing with those issues

Former Vice President Nixon: Talked about the need to end the Vietnam War with Honor and Bring Back Law and Order in the Nation.

Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen: Talked about how much of a principled and honorable man Goldwater is and about Goldwater's career in the Senate

House Minority Leader Gerald Ford: Talked about need to give Republican control of the House

California Governor Ronald Reagan: Energized crowd with his speech about the need to cut taxes, get rid of unnecessary regulations and reversing the growth of the Federal Government. Also spoke about his friendship with Goldwater

Michigan Governor George Romney: Talked about the need to make Government Programs more efficient

Maryland Governor Spiro Agnew: Lambasted President Johnson and the Democrats over and over their handling of the Vietnam War and the growing unrest in the nation

Excerpts of Ohio Governor Jim Rhodes speech accepting the Republican Vice Presidential Nomination:

Thank You Thank You. Its a great honor to be nominated as the Vice Presidential candidate of this great party and have the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of great Vice Presidents like Hannibal Hamlin , Teddy Roosevelt, Charles Fairbanks, and Richard Nixon and I will work hard every day to prove that I deserve to follow in their footsteps(Applause). Throughout our history, we faced many issues where people have doubted whether or not our nation could move past and solve those issues or whether or not we would be stuck with them for the rest of our lives , but time and time again we have solved those issues and I am confident we will solve the ills that face our nation today as well(Applause). That does not mean it is a guarantee though as the reason we solved them was because of great leadership and as Governor of Ohio these are the lessons I have learned in what makes good leadership.

One that leader must be willing to do whatever he feels necessary to fix problems no matter what the political and personal costs that might mean and after getting to know Senator Goldwater for the past many months all I can say is he embodies that trait than most politicians I have seen in my lifetime and that is why we must elect him as our next President. For the past 4 years the Johnson Administration has not taken the tough decisions needed in Vietnam because taking that decision could alienate either the Pacifists or Hawks in his party and that strategy has failed. Senator Goldwater I can guarantee you will not be afraid to make the tough decisions that may be unpopular but are needed and that goes true for Vietnam, the Cold War in General, Law and Order and to continue to implement policies that help our economy grow(Approval). Thank You

Excerpts from Senator Barry Goldwater's Speech Accepting the Republican Nomination:

Image Link

Goldwater: President Eisenhower, Vice President Nixon, Delegates and members of the Republican Party , I am honored to be the nominee of this great party of Lincoln and with gratitude, I accept your nomination(Standing Ovation). Today we meet here at a time when our nation is faced with many crises from the War in Vietnam, to the break down in law and order in our nation,  a tax system which taxes our people far too much while favoring the government bureaucracies and special interests. While the problems we face today may seem overwhelming I am confident we can fix these problems and make America Great Again(Applause). Now doing so wont be easy, but if do these things not only can we make America Great Again we can make America greater than it ever has been before(Standing Ovation).

The first thing we must do is bring a successful end to the war in Vietnam. It is critical that we make sure that we are successful in Vietnam, so we can guarantee the tens of thousands of our soldiers who died fighting for our nation and a free South Vietnam sacrifice is honored(Applause). To do so we must change our strategy in the war as the current strategy just has not worked and we should change it to a strategy which the generals on the ground believe would be a good strategy as they not the politicians know best what the situation on the ground is(Applause).

Second, we must reduce the size of the federal government and return that power to the people. To do that we must do 3 things : reform tax , spending and regulatory power (Applause). Currently, we have a tax code which taxes the American people too while being ridden with special tax breaks that only help the bureaucrats and special interests. Instead, we need to have a tax code that is simple  taxes our people and business less so they can have more money to spend or invest in our economy, while we need to get rid of the special breaks for the bureaucrats and special interests. We also must reform the way government by letting local and state governments choose how they want to spend program money, and this will lead to programs being more efficient as effective as each problem in each city and state is different and the people who know there problems are the state and local governments who then can use the money to help people better(Applause). The 3rd thing we must do to reduce the size of government is to reform the regulatory state by getting rid of regulations that hurt our economy and clearly violate the rights of the states and the people . We also must change the process of how they are implemented to guarantee that these types of regulations never again get implemented(Standing Ovation).

Lastly, we must restore law and order in the nation and continue to integrate society and end the Jim crow Era for good(Applause) . While our constitution guarantees people the right to protest, it does not give people the right to do so in a violent fashion and the types of riots that have engulfed our nation is inexcusable and we must make it clear we will not tolerate violent riots and the utter disregard for the rule of law and will punish those who act out in a violent way. This applies to both violent protestors and the racists who are attempting to violate the law by keeping Jim Crow on the books, so to the Governors and Mayors who want to stop integration, I will let you know that we will not let you succeed in violating our laws(Applause).

I want to end today by asking all of you to make sure you vote in November because it is you not me who is the ultimate driver of change. Thank You

NYT Polling Map:

Dark Color: Solid R or Solid D
Light Color: Lean R or Lean D
Gray: Tossup

Humphrey 212 45%
Goldwater/Rhodes 201 45%

Goldwater vs McCarthy(No state by state polling):

Goldwater 53%
McCarthy  39%
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2018, 08:32:23 PM »

California Governor Ronald Reagan interviewed about his thoughts on the election on Meet The Press

Lawrence Spivak: Thank You, Governor Reagan, for coming on

Ronald Reagan: Pleasure is mine

Spivak: Lets get straight to it, the latest New York Times poll shows both Senator Goldwater and Vice President Humphrey tied and thats after the convention bounce. So wont the race go back to around a 5 point lead after the Democrats have their lead assuming, of course, Humphrey wins the nomination.

Reagan: I disagree because if you look at the polling numbers before the convention while Humphrey had a 7 point lead the numbers showed it was 46%-39% and now its 45% to 45% so most of the deficit was made up by undecided voters much of whom were comprised of Governor Romney's supporters coming home to the party during the convention.  So while Humphrey will take back the lead in the polls I think it will be more like a couple point lead .

Spivak: Cant the DNC also unite the Democratic Party as well

Reagan: Well first of all most of the undecided voters left are ones who are independents so I dont think party unity will help them as much in the polls as it helped us. Second I also think it will be harder to unite the Democratic party as remember we spent the 2 months before the Convention uniting our party , the results of that effort just showed at the convention. The Democrats, on the other hand, have not done that and due to that they will only have 4 days to unite the party which I dont believe if enough time to effectively do so.

Spivak: Ok moving on, what is the key factor what you think gives an unconventional candidate like Goldwater a chance to win

Reagan: Well I think its actually very similar to my race in 1966 for Governor as we both were viewed as unelectable for a lot of the cycle but we were able to get lots of enthusiasm behind our campaign and used it to ride the momentum to a landslide win.

Spivak: But California is more Republican than the nation as a whole. It has only elected 2 Democrats this century so Republicans have the advantage they dont have nationally.

Reagan: I disagree because if you look at voter registration in California, the Democrats have a 3:2 edge so to win we needed to get Republicans and Conservatives very motivated to turn out, appeal to independents and many Democrats either. The reason we were able to win so many independents and Democrats is because many of the important issues we addressed were issues that were popular but not addressed by either party .

Spivak: Like what

Reagan: Well for one , lowering taxes , regulations and the size of government. While traditionally they are viewed as Republican policies the reason they are popular is that people feel that taxation and regulation has gone out of hand and government has grown way to big, especially over the past 4 years. This along with the fact that their has been a break down in law and order in our nation , and the current administration has mishandled the war in Vietnam is why I feel my candidacy in 1966 and Goldwater candidacy in 1968 were able to appeal to voters who ususally either dont vote Republican or dont vote at all.

Spivak: Looking at the map what do you think is the easiest path for Goldwater to victory

Reagan: Well I think he will have to win Texas and I think he can because Texas in many ways is similar to California and much of the message that appeals here can appeal in Texas. So if you add that to his electoral totals he will still need 44 more to win. So the next step, in my opinion, is by winning Tennessee and Lousinia two southern states he polls pretty well in and once you do that he will only need 23 more and then Illinois will put him over the top.

Spivak: Thank you, Governor Reagan, for coming on

Reagan: Pleasure's mine
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2018, 02:34:55 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2018, 04:51:25 PM by Old School Republican »

1968 DNC : Humphrey Nominated but Choas and Riots just outside Convention overshadow events inside the Convention Hall

Breaking News: Vice President Humphrey Nominated on First Ballot and Former North Carolina Governor Terry Sanford nominated as Vice Presidential Nominee

Brinkley: We have breaking news to report to you and that is that Vice President Humphrey has won the nomination and selected former North Carolina Governor Terry Sanford as his running mate

Riots outside Convention disrupt events going on inside as things seemingly get out of hand:

Huntley: I have never seen such disgraceful behavior in my life, and these protestors should be ashamed of themselves for their behavior.

Brinkley: These riots have completely taken attention away from the convention and towards them and I think thats very unfortunate.

Notable Speakers at Convention :

President Lyndon Johnson- Spoke about the Great Society and how he is confident that Humphrey not only will protect it but expand it

Note: Boos and Jeers by protestors and some delegates were loudly heard throughout the convention hall during the speech

Senator Ted Kennedy- Spoke about Healthcare and the legacy of JFK and RFK and how Humphrey will continue it

Speaker John McCormack - Talked about all the work Democrats have done in past 8 years and slams Republicans for all the measures they opposed

Senate Majority leader Mike Mansfield: Slams Goldwater and talks about legacy of LBJ, Humphrey and Democrats in past 8 years

Excerpts of Former North Carolina Governor Terry Sanford Accepting Vice Presidential Nomination:

Terry Sanford: Thank You, Thank You. It is a great honor of receiving the Vice Presidential Nomination of this great party and I accept your nomination(Applause). As a teenager during the Depression, I saw how President Roosevelt helped pull millions of families out of poverty and from his policies of fighting for the working class of our nation I knew from that day I was a Democrat and proud to be one(Applause). Over the past 8 years, our party has helped pass a tremendous amount of legislation aimed at helping the ordinary men and women of all races whether it was with the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act, Medicare and Medicaid, expanding Education to make sure poor children can have a decent education, and creating many programs aimed at reducing hunger and poverty all I can say is I am still proud to be a Democrat(Applause).

This doesnt mean our fight is over , because all I can say is we can always do better(Applause) and one area where we can is on education(Applause). We need to start off by increasing teacher pay all across our nation to make sure teachers get the wages they deserve for teaching our next generation and to attract the best and brightest among us to the profession of teaching(Applause). We also need to expand the school lunch program so we can guarantee that no child in our nation has to sit in class with an empty stomach (Applause), we must expand the Head Start Program as well(Applause). Also we must expand access to college education so we can make the types of jobs which require people to have a college education available to everyone in the nation if they work hard. This is why we must elect Vice President Hubert Humphrey as our next President because I am certain he will continue to fight for the working men and women in our country along with our children (Applause). Thank You, May God Bless You and May God Bless America

Excerpts from Vice President Hubert Humphrey's Speech Accepting the Democratic Nomination:

Humphrey: Thank You Thank You. Its an honor to be nominated as the Presidential Nominee of this great party of Jackson and Roosevelt(Applause) and I accept your nomination(Standing Ovation). It has also been an honor to serve as your Vice President over the past 4 years and work with President Johnson in passing the Voting Rights Act, Medicare and Medicaid and the Great Society and I look forward in expanding the work he has done over the next 4 years(Applause). While our nation faces many challenges rights now , it will only make us a stronger nation moving forward(Applause).

Now my opponsnet Senator Barry Goldwater said in his speech at the Republican Convention that if you elect him he will make America Great Again, and the question I have is what does he mean by the again. In his speech explaining that statement, he made it clear that the time period he believes we need to go back to is a time similar to the 1920s where we had a tax code which benefited the rich and the corporations over the working class of our nation(boos), and era where we had no minimum wage which allowed corporations to greatly underpay the working class of our nation and an era where they were allowed to run amok without any regard of the consequences it had to our nation as whole(Boos). My friends that is exactly the wrong direction we need to move our nation in as now is the time where we need to expand the Great Society not curtail it(Applause), it is the time where we need to Expand Medicare not cut it, and it is a time where we need to create programs which benefit the working class of our nation and not the very Rich(Standing Ovation).

An issue that has divided our great nation of ours is the Vietnam War, and is a problem facing our nation as well but like the other problems we have had in our nation's history I am sure we will move past this one successfully as well(Applause). While it would be irresponsible to immediately pull troops out of Vietnam , it would also be irresponsible to believe like my opponent believes that the answer is to expand the war even further. The correct answer to this problem is to begin negotiations with the North Vietnamese to end the war in Vietnam while guaranteeing that the South Vietnamese doesnt fall to the communists as well(Applause). It may not end the war immediately but it will end the war faster than if we go to the strategy of expanding the war and give better results than the strategy of pulling out immediately which would result in South Vietnam falling to the Communists.

Ending the war , would not only lead to peace in Vietnam but help calm tensions here at home and reduce unrest(Applause). It will also allow us to spend money to make sure we can provide every child a decent education, expand health care to millions of Americans, and maybe help us achieve the goal of wiping out poverty in the United States(Applause). Thank You

Goldwater takes a 6 point Lead in Presidential Race due to riots outside DNC overshadowing events inside the Convention Itself

Dark Color: 8+ point lead
Light Color: 4-8  point lead

Goldwater/Rhodes 254 49%
Humphrey/Sanford 165 43%
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2018, 04:46:27 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2018, 08:13:27 PM by Old School Republican »

Race Tightens in September and Debate Schedule Set:

President Johnson campaigns in Texas in an attempt to keep the state in Democratic Fold:

Johnson: If you want somebody who will fight for poor and working-class Texans, this choice is not even close. The Republicans have nominated a guy who voted against the War on Poverty over and over, The Expansion of Healthcare to Senior Citizens, and is running on a platform which would not only rip up my legacy but Roosevelt's as well and take our nation back to the days of the Laaiz Faire 1920s. On the other hand Vice President Humphrey has always been a strong advocate for unions , labor , wants to expand Medicare, expand educational opportunities for poor children and an expansion of the War on poverty.  It is clear there is only one person in this election who will fight for poor and working-class Texans and that is Vice President Humphrey while his opponent Senator Barry Goldwater will take us back to the 1920s.

Eisenhower and Nixon Campaign for Goldwater in the Midwest

Eisenhower: The number one priority for any administration has to be to win the War in Vietnam believe we need to put in the military strength we need there to win as soon as possible, instead of the strategy of gradualism which has not worked. I am confident Senator Goldwater can end this war with honor and that is why he must be elected our next President.

Nixon: Unrest in our nation has gone out of control and the fact is the current administration has done nothing to help restore law and order in our nation. Senator Goldwater will restore law and order to our cities and communities and that is why we must elect him as our next President as we need Goldwater now more than ever.

Governor Rockefeller Appoints Representative Charles Goodell to New York Senate Seat to fill the vacancy which was caused by the assassination of Senator Robert Kennedy:

Debate Schedule Released:

1st Debate(Foriegn Policy Debate):

Date: October 4th , 1968
Venue: Walnut Street Theater
Moderator: Walter Cronkite of CBS

VP Debate:

Date: October 12th, 1968
Venue: Municipal Auditorium
Moderator: Tom Wicker of New York Times

2nd Debate(Town Hall):

Date: October 18th, 1968
Venue: Alley Theater
Moderator: Frank Reynolds of ABC News

3rd Debate(Domestic and Economic Policy):

Date: October 25th, 1968
Venue: The Forum
Moderator: David Brinkley of NBC News

Humphrey Cuts Goldwater Lead in Half:

Goldwater/Rhodes 213 48%
Humphrey/Sanford 177 45%
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2018, 09:04:18 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2018, 01:49:24 PM by Old School Republican »

Senate Seats which have the potential of flipping:

Huntley: The current balance of the Senate is 61 Democrats to 39 Republicans so Republicans need 11 seats to gain control of the Senate because if they gain 11 seats they will have won the White House so Jim Rhodes would break ties in the Senate. David is there a way they could reach that number

Brinkley: At this point no, but they could very much significantly cut into the Democratic majority as there are a lot more Democratic-held seats that are vulnerable than Republican held one ones . Lets go to the list of these senate seats. First lets go over the Democratic Seats vulnerable for flipping

Vulenrable  Democratic Seats
Alaska: Former Alaska Speaker Mike Gravel(D) vs Buisnessman Elmer Rasmuson(R) vs Senator Ernest Gruening(Write-In) - Tossup

Arizona: Former Governor Paul Fannin(R) vs Mr. Roy Elson(D) - Tossup

Florida: Former Governor LeRoy Collins(D) vs Congressman Edward Gurney(R)- Lean Republican Gain

Huntley: Florida has trended Republican for the past two decades, and this race will probably result in the Republicans winning this Senate seat for the first time since Reconstruction

Indiana: Senator Birch Bayh(D) vs Indiana Representative William Ruckelshaus(R)- Tossup

Maryland: Senator Daniel Brewster(D) vs Representative Charles Mathias(R)- Lean Republican Gain

Missouri: Lieutenant Governor Thomas Eagleton(D) vs Representative Thomas Curtis(R)- Tossup

Ohio: Former Representative John Gilligian(D) vs Ohio Lieutenant Governor John Brown(R)- Tossup

Oklahoma: Senator Mike Monroney(D) vs Former Governor Henry Bellman(R)- Lean Republican Gain

Oregon: Senator Wayne Morse(D) vs Oregon Secretary of State Henry Myers (R)- Tossup

Pennsylvania: Senator Joseph Clark(D) vs Representative Richard Schweiker(R) - Tossup

Vulenrable Republican Seats:
California : California State Senator George Deukmejian(R) vs California State Controller Alan Cranston(D)- Tossup

Brinkely: Originally the Republican Primary race was going to be Senator Tom Kuchel vs Far Right Max Rafferty and the rise of Mr.Rafferty in the polls caused Senator Kuchel to drop out and then Mr.Deukmijian got in and won the nomination.

Iowa: Iowa Representative David Stanley(R) vs Governor Harold Hughes(R)- Tossup

Kentucky: Former Kentucky Representative Marlow Cook(R) vs Kentucky Commerce Commissioner Katherine Pedan(D) - Tossup

Brinkley:So Senate Balance could go from Anywhere to +10 Republicans to no net gain for either side if all the tossups go to either party.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2018, 02:22:36 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2018, 03:05:44 PM by Old School Republican »

Key Moments of the first Presidential Debate

Key Moment 1:

Cronkite: Its now been more than 4 years since the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution passed Congress in 1964 , and despite the fact that we have sent in over 500 thousand more troops to Vietnam in those 4 years the situation in Vietnam has not gotten any better and some may argue has gotten even worse. Due to this most Americans in a recent poll want the next President to end the war in Vietnam, and question whether either of you can do it due to you Vice President Humphrey being the Vice President of an administration which has presided over the war , and you Senator Goldwater due to you seemingly want to be even more aggressive.

Goldwater: Well the reason is pretty simple, as the fact is the North Vietnamese wont be willing to negotiate a treaty with fair terms as long as they are the side that has much less to lose. This is why  I believe we should go on an offensive strategy so we force the North Vietnamese on the defense instead which then will incentivize them to come to the negotiating table and allow us to end this war with honor.

Humphrey: If I am elected I would begin negotiations with the North Vietnamese to end the war as soon as possible and yes that may require some concessions on our behalf but the fact is the goal of the war was to guarantee that the South Vietnamese dont fall to the communists and if it that happens then we will have met the goals and ended the war in Vietnam with success.

Goldwater: While Vice President Humphrey and I agree that there have to be negotiations, the fact is the Vice President hasn't explained how would get the North Vietnamese on the bargaining table or get them to agree to an agreement which is not totally favorable to them.

Humphrey: Its by using other tactics not just military to get them on the table and secondly I am surprised that Senator Goldwater would accuse our campaign of not providing any successes since he hasnt given any specifics either on how he would go on offense. Is it invading North Vietnam and risking China getting involved like in Korea, is it increase bombings of North Vietnam, is it just sending more troops our is something else. The fact is we dont now what Senator Goldwater wants to do because he hasnt given it yet

Goldwater: Vice President Humphrey's answer right there is why the war effort hasnt worked so far. He along with the President believe that the President knows more about the state of the war than the generals, and I wont repeat the same mistakes. In my opinion, it is time we let our generals on the ground decide our strategies as they know best about the situation there.

Humphrey: Senator I wasnt asking for the exact strategy, I was asking for a broad one which is something the President should set then once you give the generals that broad strategy then you leave it up to them for the decisions but you havent even given the broader strategy yet.

Important Momentent 2:

Cronkite: As you may know over the past few years the relationship between the Soviet Union and the Chinese Government have deteriorated. How important do you believe it is for the US to try to now improve relations with the Chinese Government in light of this. Vice President Humphrey you first

Humphrey: Well I think it is important as they are the most populated nation on earth, and also would provide a good check on the Soviet satellite States in the region. How I would go along to improve it is by agreeing to drop sanctions in exchange for an improvement in human rights in their nation.

Goldwater: I also think it is important that we improve Chinese relations, but not with the record their current government has. It is of my opinion that we can give them a deal agreeing not only to drop many sanctions but to expand trade there as well in exchange for improvement of human rights in China, Liberalization of their Economy and to help us bring the North Vietnamese to the  table

Humphrey: While I do agree with the other things the Senator brought up right now,we must improve our relations with 3 steps: First ask them to improve their human rights in exchange to drop sanctions , then we can ask to help end the war in Vietnam and liberalize their economy .

Goldwater: No it can be done, it just requires our leaders to have the courage to do so.

Important Moment 3:

Cronkite: Another issue Americans are moving more in favor of is agreeing to the Strategic arms limitation treaty with the Soviets, so first to you Mr. Goldwater do you support it.

Goldwater: At the current stage no, but I do agree with the policy itself. The problem is President Johnson and Vice President Johnson have been willing to support a deal even if they require us to do more to limit these missils than the Russians My beleif is we cut down at an equal rate so the cloud of nuclear war can never happen in our lifetimes.

Humphrey: I would definitely support it , as the fact is currently both our weapons aresnal has enough power to destroy our great planet multiple times over so the cloud of nuclear war being lifted from our shoulders and we need to keep it that way.

Goldwater: The fact is again , the goal has to to get rid of both our nation's nuclear arsenal but I cant and wont support a treaty that will only be enforceable against us. In my opinion, any deal with the Soviets should require third-party inspectors to make sure that they are following through on the deal.

Humphrey: I want people to remember what it was like 6 years ago during the Cuban Missle Crises, and how close we were to a potential nuclear war.  Since then we have tried to reduce tension with the Soviet Union , instead, my opponent believes its a mistake that we did try to reduce tensions with the Soviets and really wants to return to the more confrontal cold war diplomacy of the the 1950s which is something we cant afford right now

Goldwater: If you remember the Cuban Missle Crises would never happened if not for the botched handling of the Bay Of Pigs Invasion.

Viewers Say Humphrey won Debate, which propels him to take a 2 point lead nationally

Humphrey/Sanford 216 49%
Goldwater/Rhodes 207 47%
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2018, 02:30:55 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2018, 03:05:30 PM by Old School Republican »

Key Moments of the Vice Presidential Debate

Key Moment 1:

Tom Wicker: If either of you are elected to the Vice Presidency this November, what would your role be in next President's administration and if God Forbid anything happened to the President what experience would you have that would qualify you for the job. Governor Rhodes you first

Rhodes: Well I cant tell you what exact role I would play in a potential Goldwater administration but some of the potential roles I would play is helping the President in reducing the size of government and some prior experience that qualifies me in helping him with that is that I was the Ohio State Auditor for 10 years so I know first hand about how to spot and get rid of wasteful spending . That would be one role I would play along with being the President's top advisor and sitting in on cabinet meetings as well.

Now in the unfortunate event that something happens to the President, what would qualify me to be President is that I have been Governor of Ohio , which is one of the most populated states in the union for the past 6 years and since I would take an active role in the administration I would be prepared to take over from day 1.

Sanford: While the exact role I would play hasnt been decided either, one role I would play is taking a very active part in the President's Education Policy. I believe education is one of the most important issue facing our nation today so I will take a very active part in helping the President in his goal to integrate all our nation's public schools, increasing teacher pay so that very important profession can attract the best and brightest among us, making universities more accessible to poor students and more.

In the unfortunate event something happens to the President, the reason I would be qualified is I have been governor for 4 years and that would prepare me for the job.

Wicker: I would like to ask a follow up to both of you , Governor Rhodes you first.  Governor Rhodes you say that you will take an active part in helping the President reduce the size of government, how will you do so.

Rhodes : Well I would use my experience as state auditor for 10 years to help the administration identify certain types of government programs which are wasteful, inefficient, or outdated which then would help the President decide what programs to cut . Also since I was governor for the state of Ohio for 6 years I know which types of programs would be better implemented at a state level and can advise the President in that as well

Wicker: Governor Sanford while you listed of what you would want to do , how would you do them

Sanford: Well as Governor of North Carolina we integrated  more and more of our schools, expanded our state university system and promoted the arts and humanities  so I would bring that experience to the administration to help them replicate that nationally

Key Moment 2:

Wicker: Governor Rhodes, you and Senator Goldwater have made it a key point of your campaign to fundamentally change our nation's economic policies. With unemployment as low as it is now why is it that we need to change it at this moment

Rhodes: Thats a good question Tom, but the fact is while unemployment is low,  inflation has reached its highest point in nearly 17 years and is growing. While it may not seem to be an immediate problem now , if we dont do anything soon it will negatively impact our economy so the time to act is now.

Sanford: Governor Rhodes the reason inflation has gone up is because demand has gone up, and the reason the demand as gone up is due to our strong economy. If the economy falls into a recession , inflation will fall as demand falls and the proper way to react to that is by using Kenyesian Economics which has worked for the past 36 years and not try out Milton Friedman's untested theory.

Rhodes: Well Governor Sanford , that is not true inflation can still go up if a recession happens if the recession is caused by a supply shock. The thing is for many years , espically in the last 4 we havent accounted one bit for Supply so that negligent handling could lead to a recession caused by a major drop in supply which would result in high unemployment and high inflation .

Key Moment 3:

Wicker: Governor Sanford , given that the Democrats have been in power for the past 8 years why should voters stick with them when it comes to Vietnam policy

Sanford: Well it is because Vice President Humphrey and I actually want to end the war and have a tangible plan to do so while Senator Goldwater and Governor Rhodes would actually expand the war. The fact is we beleive that yes we need to try to end the war through diplomatic means and while that may not end up with the best result it will end up with a free South Vietnam, which is why we are fighting this war in the first place.

Rhodes: Well again what the Democrats have been saying about our plan is totally misleading. The reason we do want to go on the offensive is so we can end the war because there is no way that the North Vietnamese will end the war with a free South Vietnam unless they have a reason to and that reason is they have something to lose if they dont.

Sanford : Well going on the offensive means you will expand and lengthen the war

Rhodes: No it doesn't, what will lengthen the war is by continuing the current straegy of treating it like a police action.

Polls move slightly in Goldwater's direction after the debate:

Humphrey/Sanford 216 49%
Goldwater/Rhodes 213 48%
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2018, 06:04:04 PM »

Key Moments of the 2nd Debate

Key Moment 1:

Audience Member: Senator Goldwater, while you did vote for the Voting Rights Act you did vote against the Civil Rights Act. What was the reason why you opposed the civil rights act and would you repeal it as President?

Goldwater: Thank You For the Question, and to answer it no I would not repeal the civil rights act. The reason why I voted against the civil rights act was because there were some provisions in there which I felt were unconstitutional due to the fact that those provisions gave the government the power to regulate whom a private business is allowed or not allowed to hire or dictate a businesses customer service policy. Now the reason why I wouldn't repeal the bill is because there are many great things the bill did liked desegregation and ending the Jim Crow Era.

Reynolds: I have a follow up to that question, so what would your administration to the provisions you oppose

Goldwater: I would ask Congress to get rid of the regulations I believe are unconstitutional and replace them with ones that are constitutional.

Humphrey: While I have no doubt that Senator Goldwater did not vote against the civil rights act for racist or political reasons, his reason why he did vote against is still concerning but not surprising. The reason why it is concerning is that he essentially believes that the rights of businesses should trump the right of the people and that is just wrong. It is not surprising because Senator Goldwater as said throughout the campaign that he will make America Great Again, and in some ways I agree because while he would take our nation back to the 20s, he would make America great for the Rich and most Privileged among us by allowing for businesses to trample on the rights of the people once again. I on the other hand dont believe that would make our nation as a whole great , and as President, I will always put all our people first, just not the ones who my opponent and his party cater to.

Goldwater: Vice President Humphrey, the people who own the businesses are people as well and the idea that they dont have the same struggles like everyone else is just not true. Remember the vast majority of businesses are small businesses and small business owners have the same struggles as everyone when it comes to getting money they need.

Also the Vice President also misquoted me like usual, as what I believe is those provisions of the bill should be replaced with ones that are constitutional not that they should be entirely repealed.

Reynolds: Moving on

Key Moment 2:

Audience Member 2: Vice President Humphrey, what is your opinion on the draft and do you think the penalties for draft dodgers are too strict.

Humphrey: While I believe we need to end the draft we have to do it in a gradual way to make sure our military doenst get negatively affected. In the meantime, I would support increasing the amount of exemptions which exempts you from the draft, and reduce penalties for people who were drafted but dont want to fight.

Goldwater: I oppose the draft and believe we need to go to a full volunteer army as soon as possible. I believe a full volunteer military force would result in us having troops with higher morale since they joined because they wanted to join, not because they wanted to be forced too. On the other hand I don't believe penalties for draft dodging should be reduced because if a person dodges the draft that would result in someone else being drafted in his place and I dont think its fair for some people to not partake in the draft while other have to.

Humphrey: The problem with ending it now is that we need a transition phase and that is what I believe we should do

Reynolds: Moving on

Key Moment 3:

Audience Member: Senator Goldwater , throughout the campaign you have said you would restore law and order in this nation , so the question is why do you believe it needs to be restored and how would you do it

Goldwater: The reason why I believe it needs to be restored is due to all the violent protests we have had in our nation over the past few years which has led to unrest getting worse and worse. My belief is that we need to make it clear that while everyone has the right to protest but when they get violent they will be stopped immediately and the people responsible for the violence will get server penalties for it. This requires us to work with local law enforcement to be able to stop the type of unrest on the streets before it happens.

Humphrey: My belief is we need to increase the number of cops on the ground and that would require us to invest more money into local law enforcement so they have the ability to put more cops on the ground. My belief is also that if we as a government address the problems facing our nation in a more affective way much of the anger we are seeing today wouldnt be there.

Goldwater: I agree partially on the need to increase the number of cops and the fact that we have to fix problems our nation has had to reduce anger but that fact is we are worse of as a whole now then we were 4 years ago so it is time for a change so we can begin to solve the many problems our nation faces.

New Poll shows both candidates are tied, but the electoral map remains unchanged
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2018, 01:54:54 AM »

Key Moments of the 3rd Debate:

Key Moment 1:

Brinkley: Senator Goldwater, you have made economic policy a major part of your campaign. If you are elected you have said you want to dramatically change our tax code by reducing the current 25 tax brackets which have rates as low as 14% and go as high 70% to all the way down to 5 brackets which have rates as low as 10% to a high of 40%. Wouldnt this tax cut dramatically reduce revenues

Goldwater: Firstly what you have decribed is the changes we would make in the amount of brackets and the new tax rates , but thats not the only thing we would do in tax reform. We would get rid of many of the exclusions and deductions in our code that were created to benefit special interests and allow the goverment to pick and choose winners instead of letting the market decide. Also if you cut taxes it would increase the amount of disposable income the average American has and make it easier for buisnesses to increase supply which then would reduce consumer prices, expand their operations and all these would result in our economy growing at a faster rate with inflation dropping as well.

Humphrey: Senator Goldwater's tax proposal is another example of him continuing to propose policies that are sweked greatly in favor to the wealthy few in our nation, and while that type of attitude of favoring the wealthy and big business over the working man and women of the nation is typical of the Republican Party it has definetly been exacerbated by Senator Goldwater to ways we havent seen since the 1920s. The reason for this is the ways Senator Goldwater would pay for it is by taking away exemptions and deductions in the tax code which are there to incentivize them to treat workers well . Also that still wouldn't pay for it so the way he would pay for those tax cuts, is by cutting programs that benefit the working class.

Goldwater: After that statement you just made Mr.Vice President, I think its time for a little economics lesson(laughter).

Say you are a movie theater and you currently charge $2.00 per movie ticket and you decide to raise the price of the ticket to $2.50 a ticket , now theortically that should result in you having more revenues right , well in reality that is not true because now that you have raised the price of the ticket , less people come to watch it and due to that overall sales drop. Now say instead you decide to cut the price of the ticket from $2 to $1.50 , you now have made more in revenues why , because now you have gotten customers who could previously couldnt afford the $2 ticket who can afford the $1.50 ticekt and due to that your revenues go up.

Similarly in taxes when you cut taxes you do the same thing. The reason is say because of the tax cut one family disposable income has gone up $500 dollars. This means now they have $500 dollars more to spend in the marketplace and to keep up with the demand businesses will have to higher more workers and more workers mean more revenue for the government. Similarly if we cut taxes for businesses that would increase the amount they can spend to increase supply or expand their business to a new city and that too would require them to create new jobs thus increasing revenues the government receives.

Humphrey: Comparing a movie ticket to taxes is ridiculous. The fact is the Government is not a business no matter how much my Republican Friends would like it to be so , it is not so the comparisons between a business and government is just ridiculous. As President I will instead use government money to help improve our education system, increase access to healthcare and reduce poverty all which would stimulate our economy than this tax cut, my opponent, as proposed.

Goldwater: While a Government is not a business, the fact is there are some basic economic facts which are the same for both of them. That economic fact is that , just because a business keeps prices high or in the case of government taxes high does not mean revenues will be high and the same is true visa versa. Now while my Democratic friends don't believe in following these basic economic facts I will

Brinkley: Ok Moving on

Key Point 2:

Brinkley: Vice President Humphrey, you have made expanding the Great Society a big part of your campaign. What types of ways would you expand the Great Society and where would you get the money to do so

Humphrey: Two major places where we need to expand the Great Society is Education and Healthcare. Education is the best vehicle for people to get out of poverty and I will make sure if I am elected President that we will expand the school lunch program to make sure no child has to sit in class with an empty stomach, increase teacher pay to attract the best and brightest among us to that profession and make going to universities more accessible for Americans. Another issue where we need to expand the Great Society is by expanding Medicare and Medicaid so we can eventually reach a goal of universal coverage . We would get the money to pay for it by one using our growing economy to expand prosperity to everyone, and an end to the war in Vietnam would allow us to spend money in these areas.

Goldwater: I have a very different approach when it comes to Government Programs. My belief is instead of directly running programs at the federal level , we give that money to cities and states who know the problems facing their cities or states better than we do and this change in policy would result in us getting better results while spending less money.

Humphrey: The problem with block grants which my opponent has proposed is that it puts too much faith that states would actually use the money on those programs. Secondly the money is coming out of people federal income taxes so it is our responsibility to use it to directly benefit the people .

Goldwater: Well one problem is each state and in many case city faces a slightly different problem so the fact is they would know better what problems they face and would be able to use the money to directly confront those .

Humphrey: The fact is if those states wanted to create programs they would have by now but havent so its the responsibility of the federal government to come in for the general welfare of our people.

Brinkley: Moving On

Key Moment 3:

Brinkley: One issue where you two differ is on the issue of free trade. Senator Goldwater believes we would get rid of many of the trade barriers we currently have and especially do so with Canada and Mexico. On the other hand Vice President, Humphrey believes in keeping the current barriers we have to protect American workers. Why is one policy better than the other here, Senator Goldwater you first

Goldwater: Well the fact is protectionism results in us having to pay higher prices un the market and reduces competition. Instead, if we got rid of trade barriers we could lower prices for consumers in our nation, increase quality of products as now established companies here will have to compete with more business and that will result in an increase in quality and third help us improve relations with natins around the world.

Humphrey: While I oppose getting rid of the current barriers at the moment , I do not oppose free trade. It is just my belief that it has to be fair for our workers so we dont see corporations use free trade laws to ship jobs overseas for cheap labor. It is my belief that any trade deal we sign must benefit the workers first and then can we get rid of the barriers.

Goldwater: Lower prices do benefit workers and so do an increase in competition because to match the competition, companies would have to hire more employees to match the quality or keep their employees more motivated.

Humphrey: The fact is it is our job as President to put our workers interests in mind and that includes Steel Workers, Miners, Construction workers and much more so I will make sure any Free Trade Deal will benefit the workers

Goldwater: The best way to put our workers interests in mind is by making our economy even better which Free Trade will do

Goldwater takes back Lead in Polls

Light Color: 4-8  point lead

Goldwater/Rhodes 224 50%
Humphrey/Sanford 207 48%
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2018, 02:25:14 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2019, 01:32:07 PM by Old School Republican »

Summary of Final Weeks of Campaign:

California Governor Reagan campaigns extensively in California and partly in Texas for Senator Goldwater

Brinkley: California Governor Ronald Reagan has hit the campaign trail for Senator Goldwater and Senate Candidate George Deukmejian so far doing 8 rallies in the state of California, 7 of them taking place in Southern California . He has also done two rallies in the state of Texas for Senator Goldwater , one in Dallas and one in Houston .

Ted Kennedy campaigns for Vice President Humphrey in the Midwest

Brinkley: Massachusettes Senator Ted Kennedy campaigned for Vice President Humphrey today in the state of Illinois, saying that if you want to keep the legacy and dreams of both his brothers: President John F Kennedy and Senator Robert F Kennedy alive we must vote for Vice President Humphrey in November.

Breaking News: President Johnson orders halt to bombing in North Vietnam, as apparent talks to end war begin:

Johnson: Due to developments in the latest rounds of talks between the North and South Vietnamese, I have ordered a halt to all bombing in North Vietnam .

Breaking News: Peace Talks Fall Apart:

Brinkley: We have some breaking news to report to you and that is that peace talks in Paris have fallen apart as neither side could come to an agreement to end the war.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2018, 03:12:22 AM »

Polling of Presidential Race with one day to go:

Dark Color: Solid R or Solid D
Light Color: Lean R or Lean D

Humphrey/Sanford 228 49%
Goldwater/Rhodes 224 49%

Polling of Tossup States:

Arkansas: Humphrey 50% Goldwater 49%
Georgia: Humphrey: 49% Goldwater 49%
Illionis: Humphrey 50% Goldwater 49%
Kentucky: Humphrey 51% Goldwater 48%
South Carolina: Humphrey 50% Golldwater 48%
Texas: Goldwater 50% Humphrey 49%
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2018, 04:46:16 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2018, 06:04:38 PM by Old School Republican »

NBC News: Election Night 1968(Part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ8dPRhuE1s&t=145s

Brinkley: Good Evening and Welcome to NBC News's coverage of the 1968 Presidential Election. After a back and forth campaign , the campaign is finally over and we are ready to cover for what looks to be a very close election and potentially a very long night. Ok I will send it over to John Chancellor who will explain a new feature we have created to make you at home have a better understanding of the state of the election throughout the night

Chancellor: As you can see behind us , we have a map of the United States of America and as the night progresses we will fill it in one of 3 colors. If a state is won by Senator Goldwater we will fill it in Blue, if it is won by Vice President Humphrey we will fill it in red, and if we are unable to make a projection it will be filled in green.

As you can see we have already been able to project that Indiana has been won by Senator Goldwater and we can also project that the states of Florida, Virginia and Vermont all will also be won by Senator Goldwater tonight and currently we are unable to make a projection in the states of Kentucky , South Carolina and Georgia .

Goldwater 42
Humphrey 0

Brinkley: No surprise so far

Huntley: Now lets look at our exit poll

Exit Poll:

Race:
White Voters: 89% ; Goldwater 55% Humphrey 45%
Black Voters: 9%; Humphrey 91% Goldwater 9%

Men Voters: 50% ; Goldwater 52% Humphrey 48%
Women Voters 50% ; Humphrey 52% Humphrey 48%

Where people live:

Urban Areas: 32% ; Humphrey 66% Goldwater 34%
Suburban Areas 37% ; Goldwater 59% Humphrey 41%
Rural Areas 31%; Goldwater 56% Humphrey 44%

Income Level:

Less than $5000: 17% ; Humphrey 61% Goldwater 39%
$5000-$20000: 60% ; Goldwater 50% Humphrey 50%
More than $20000: 23% ; Goldwater 58% Humphrey 42%

Huntely: So the exit polls show a very close race and it will come down to where those votes are coming from.

7:30:

Brinkley: We can now project that the state of West Virginia will got to Vice President Humphrey. We are unable to make a projection in either Ohio or North Carolina at the moment

Goldwater 42
Humphrey 7

In the senate we can project that in Florida- Congressman Edward Gurney will win the senate seat meaning Republicans will have won a Senate seat from Florida for the first time since reconstruction.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2018, 02:24:20 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2018, 03:22:14 AM by Old School Republican »

NBC News: Election Night 1968(Part 2)

Brinkley: It is 8:00 in the east and the polls have just closed in many states. At this hour NBC News can project that the states of Alabama, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, New Hampshire, and Oklahoma will all be won by Senator Barry Goldwater. Vice President Humphrey will win the states of Connecticut, Deleware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania.. Currently we are unable to make a projection in Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey , Tennessee, and Texas

Goldwater 82
Humphrey 74

Huntely: So Alabama and Mississippi like expected go to the Republicans for the first time since reconstruction. Now lets look at our projection in the House so Far.

Currently we are projecting that the Republicans will make gains in the house when this night is all said and done and have anywhere from 203 Seats in the House to 218 Seats which means that they do have an outside chance of taking the house. John with these house projections what do you think it means for the senate

Chancellor: Well I think it probably means the Senate will have Republicans gaining anywhere from 1 to 8 seats which even in the best case scenario would leave the Democrats with 53 seats in that chamber.

Brinkley: I agree but what I am more interested to see is what the ideological composition is at the end of the night

8:30

Brinkley: The polls have closed in Arkansas and we are currently unable to make a projection there. On the other hand we are able to make projections in the state of New Jersey where we can project that Vice President Humphrey will indeed win that state and its electoral votes.

Humphrey 91
Goldwater 82

Huntley : In the senate we are able to make another projection and that is Former Oklahoma Governor Henry Bellman will defeat Senator Mike Monroney to become the next Senator of Oklahoma . This will give the Republicans their 2nd pickup of the night

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2018, 03:30:26 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2018, 03:48:39 AM by Old School Republican »

NBC News: Election Night 1968(Part 3)

Brinkley: Its 9 PM in the east and NBC News can project that Senator Goldwater will win the states of Arizona, Colorado, Lousinia, Nebraska,  New Mexico, North and South Dakota, and Wyoming while Vice President Humphrey will win the states of Minnesota, New York, Rhode Island and Wisconsin .

Humphrey: 160
Goldwater: 123

Brinkely: No Surprise Again

Huntely: In the Senate We can now project that Representative Charles Mathias will defeat Senator Daniel Brewster to become the next Senator from Maryland. This so far gives the Republican a net of 3 seats in the Senate

Brinkley: He is a liberal Republican so even if Goldwater wins , he may not go along with Goldwater's agenda as much as the Republicans would like him to .

Huntely: Back to the Presidential race, while people may think that Humphrey is starting to pull away , remember its still a very close race as California which is probably going to be won by Goldwater has more than enough Electoral votes to make up for that margin so the race is still a long way from being even close to over.

9:21:

Chancellor: We can now make a call in both the Vice Presidential Homestates and we can project that Senator Goldwater will win Ohio and its 26 electoral votes while Vice President Humphrey will win North Carolina and its 13 electoral votes

Humphrey 173
Goldwater 149

Brinkley: Two major victories for both candidates as Ohio was a must win for Republicans and same with North Carolina for the Democrats

Huntely: We can also project that the Democrats will retain control of the House as the Republicans best case scenrio of the night has dropped form the 218 it needs to win the house to 216

9:51

Huntely: We have major projections we can make right now, and that is the states of Michigan and Missouri will be won by Vice President Humphrey tonight. While they were expected to go to Vice President Humphrey, them being called before 10 shows a stronger than expected performance by Humphrey there. A sigh of relief in the Goldwater camp as well , as Tenneesse, as been won by his camp .

Humphrey: 206
Goldwater: 160
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2018, 01:23:36 PM »

NBC News: Election Night 1968(Part 4)

Brinkley: Its 10 in the east and NBC News is ready to make some more projections. We can project that Senator Goldwater will win the states of Idaho, Montana, Nevada, and Utah. We are unable to make a projection in Iowa .

Humphrey: 206
Goldwater: 175

Brinkley: So far this night is going exactly like all of anticipated it would go

Huntley: Yes it has but I have something interesting to point out. Currently Vice President Humphrey has a narrow lead in the popular vote but after California comes in , Goldwater probably will take the lead in it so there is a chance for one candidate to win the popular vote but not the electoral vote. Lets take a look at some of the major races.

In Texas Goldwater currently has the lead and it has mainly come in from winning the Dallas and Houston Metro Areas by large margins  and so far Humphrey is not performing well outside those areas as he needs to to win this state. While there is still much of the state left to count if Humphrey doesnt start doing better in those areas this state will likely be called by Senator Goldwater by 11:30-11:40

In Illinois we cant make any predictions as there is still lots of the vote to come in Chicago which will come in strongly for Humphrey and its Suburbs which will come in strongly for Goldwater. Its likely we wont be able to make a projection in this state till very late in the night.

Chancellor: Hold up, Hold Up we have a projection to make in a key Senate Race. In Pennsylvania we can project that Representative  Richard Schweiker will defeat Senator Joesph Clark to become the next Senator of that state. This pickup means the Republicans so far have picked up a net of 4 seats in the Senate.

10:49:

Brinkley: We interrupt coverage of your local races as we have two more projections to make in the Presidential Race. We can project that Vice President Humphrey will win the State of Kentucky and its 9 electoral votes and Senator Goldwater will win the State of Georgia and its 12 electoral votes.

Humphrey: 215
Goldwater: 187

Chancellor: And we have two projections to make in Key Senate races. In Kentucky we can project the Democrat Kentucky Commerce Commissioner Katherine Pedan will be the next senator of the state and in Ohio we can project Lieutenant Governor John Brown will be the next Senator of that state. So the net change of the night remains at Republican+4.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2018, 01:59:55 PM »

NBC News: Election Night 1968(Part 5)

Brinkely: Its 11 in the east and we have a major projection to make and that is we can project that the State of California and its 40 electoral voteswill be won by Senator Goldwater. In the state of Hawaii we can project Vice President Humphrey will win it . We are unable to make projections in either Oregon or Washington

Goldwater: 227
Humphrey: 219

Brinkley: So what made it that California could be called this instantly

Huntley: Its because in our state exit poll , it shows us that Goldwater will win LA county and by at least 5 points. Humphrey needed LA County for it to be even close and since he wont we can safely call this state for Goldwater.

Brinkley: So this must be good news for Mr.Deukmijian as well

Huntley: Yes it is but that race is far closer but it looks like Senator Goldwater with the help of California Governor Ronald Reagan were not only able to match the get out of vote efforts in SoCal but exceed it. Margin wont be in double digits though since Humphrey is doing better than Former Governor Brown as well.

Chancellor: In the Senate, we can project that in Missouri Lieutenant Governor Thomas Eagleton will be elected as the next Senator of the state. We can also project that in Arizona Former Governor Paul Fannin will be elected the next Senator of the state. This means so far the Republicans have picked up a net of 5 seats tonight

Brinkley: How are some of the other races going

Chancellor: Well in Indiana currently Senator Birch Bayh is trailing to State Representative William Ruckelshaus, but its close so he still has a chance to win. In Iowa the Democrat former Governor Harold Hughes is winning so far but there is still much of the vote left. In Oregon and California we just received their exit polls so theres not much we can predict of that race and in Alaska polls wont close for one more hour.

11:30

Brinkley : We have another major projection to make and that is Senator Goldwater has won the state of Texas. With that the President's home state and a major tossup state, Texas will be won by the Republicans tonight. We can also project that Vice President Humphrey will win Iowa

Goldwater: 252
Humphrey: 228

Huntley: Now there is actually a chance Senator Goldwater can win win the election without Illionis . To do so though he must hold both Oregon and Alaska and win both Arkansas and South Carolina. Is it likely no but there is a possibility now that he can.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2018, 02:51:08 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2018, 03:02:45 AM by Old School Republican »

NBC News: Election Night 1968(Part 6)

Brinkley: Its the day after the election, and we can project that Senator Goldwater will win the states of Oregon and Alaska while Vice President Humphrey will in Washington

Goldwater: 261
Humphrey: 237

Brinkley: That puts Goldwater just 9 away from the Presidency and either winning Illions or a combination of Arkansas and South Carolina would put him over the top.

Huntely: Yup lets take a look at Illinois, its more than 90% in and Senator Goldwater still has a lead of 52,000 votes and while much of that 10% left to come in is from Cook County there is still some left in the Collar Counties as well so that is good news for Senator Goldwater.

Chancellor: We have some news also to Project in the Senate and that is in Iowa, Governor Harold Hughes has won so the Republicans overall net gains for the night will drop from 5 to 4. In Alaska we can also project that Mr. Mike Gravel will win.

1:13

Brinkley: In South Carolina, we can project that the state will be won by Senator Barry Goldwater. In Illinois at this moment Senator Barry Goldwater is holding a lead of 46,000 votes

Goldwater: 269

Chancellor: In the Senate, we can also project that State Senator George Deukmejian will defeat State Controller Alan Cranston to become the next Senator of California.

Huntley: The Republicans also lead in both Oregon and Indiana so if the state of the races remain the same they will have picked up 6 seats in the Senate tonight.

Brinkley: NBC is now projecting that in the House the Democrats will have between 222-225 seats while the Republicans will have between 210-213 seats . Now lets look at the ideological balance where we are projecting that the Conservatives will have a majority in the chamber and have between 244-246 seats while the Liberals will have between 189-191 seats.

Huntely: This means if Senator Goldwater wins the Presidency he will have a defacto majoirty in the House to pass much of his economic agenda , but even with Conservatives having a majoirty the fact Democrats hold the House and Senate will mean many Great Society Programs likely wont be axed either. So his success will depend on what route he chooses if he wins

Chancellor: I agree if he chooses to tackle tax reform, regulatory reform, change how Great Society Programs are implemented say instead directly by the means of block grants he will likely have the numbers to get them through but if he chooses to try to get rid of many programs all together in the Great Society it likely wont pass.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2018, 05:36:20 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2018, 03:09:38 AM by Old School Republican »

Breaking News: Barry Goldwater Elected  

3:05 am:

Huntley: Goldwater is the one. We can project now that Illinois will be won by Senator Goldwater, meaning Barry Morris Goldwater will become the 37st President of the United States of America.

Goldwater: 295

Brinkley: The reason we were able to project Illinois is that Cook County is now fully counted and Senator Goldwater still has over a 30,000 vote lead in the state and the math isnt there for Vice President Humphrey to make up that deficit now that Cook County is in.

Lets go to New York where we can see Nelson Rockefeller's reaction to the results

Rockefeller: I want to start of by congratulating Senator Goldwater for his impressive win tonight , and I wish him the best of luck over the next 4 to 8 years.

Reporter: What does this election mean

Rockefeller: Well I dont think you can gain say around the fact that it is a conservative victory and their hour has arrived. What I want to see is , what his cabinet appointments are, what his first economic proposal is, what his first budget is and 4  to 8 years from now we will see what they have done with the mandate they received tonight.

Reporter: Thanks for the thoughts

Chancellor: Ok NBC News has another projection to make and that in the Indiana Senate Race State Representative William Ruckelshaus will defeat Senator Birch Bayh to become the next senator of Indiana . That gives the Republicans a net gain of 5 seats tonight so far with one left outstanding in Oregon.

3:35:

Brinkley: NBC News can now project the final state outstanding, Arkansas will be won by Vice President Humphrey and that makes the final electoral total Goldwater 295, Humphrey 243.

Goldwater: 295
Humphrey: 243

Chancellor: We can also project that in Oregon , their Secretary of State Henry Myers will defeat Senator Wayne Morse to become the next senator of Oregon. So the change in Senate composition come next January will be +6 for the Republicans which will make the overall composition 55 Democrats to 45 Republicans.

Huntley: Wait we are just getting word that Vice President Humphrey has just called Senator Goldwater to concede the election. So Senator Goldwater will now be officially called President-Elect Goldwater.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2018, 03:12:49 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2018, 03:23:11 AM by Old School Republican »

Vice President Humphrey Concession Speech and President-Elect Goldwater Victory Speech:

Humphrey Concession Speech:

Humphrey: A short while ago , I called Senator Goldwater and congratulated him on winning the election(Boos). No dont boo, while we may be sad about the results of the election, I certainly am , the American people decided to elect Senator Goldwater as our next President and in a democracy no matter how sad we may be over a result of an election, we must accept the results of them. Also since Senator Goldwater will be our next President, the successes and failures of President-Elect Goldwater will be all of our successes and failures and since we want our nation to be successful we must pray for his success as well since his success will be all of ours success(Applause).

I want to thank Governor Terry Sanford for being an amazing running mate, a great friend and I am certain you will have a great future as well(Applause). I also want to thank President Johnson for giving me the opportunity to work with him as our nation's Vice President and I will always be proud of the things we accomplished over the past 4 years(Applause) . Lastly I want to Thank all the people who supported me in this campaign, as Vice President, as senator and throughout my political career as I would not be here today without all the support you gave me and I will always be grateful for that support(Applause). I want to end tonight by saying that while I lost the election, the ideas we fought for such as universal healthcare, expanding access to education and expanding the war on poverty are not loss, because at the end of the day change doesnt come from me or anyone running for President but from you and if you keep up the fight one day we will make those policy dreams reality(Applause). Thank You, May God Bless You, and May God Bless America

Barry Goldwater Acceptance Speech:

Goldwater: A Short While Ago, I recieved a call from Vice President Humphrey who congratulated me for winning the election(Applause), while I accomplished him for running a tough and spiritied campaign. I also told him that I look forward to working with him over the following weeks to help unite our nation after this close campaign as the best way for our nation to move forward is if we remain united.

I want to Thank my good friend Vice President-Elect Jim Rhodes, for being an excellent running mate and I am sure he will be an even better Vice President(Applause). I also want to thank all of you and anyone who has supported me through the years as we wouldnt be close to being where we are today without the hard work and dedication you not only put in this campaign but throughout my career(Applause). I also want to thank the American people for trusting me with the honor of being their President and I promise to work hard everyday to prove to them that they made the right choice by trusting me(Applause). While many problems we face may be difficult to solve, I am confident more than ever we can solve and move past those problems and make our nation a better place for our kids(Applause). Thank You, May God Bless You, and May God Bless America .

Brinkely: That marks the end of our coverage of the 1968 election , It has been a long night but its finally over and I hope you turn in tommorow evening to the Huntley-Brinkley report.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2018, 03:54:38 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2018, 03:07:06 AM by Old School Republican »

1968 Election Final Resuts:

Presidential Race:

Senator Barry Goldwater(R-AZ)/Governor James Rhodes(R-OH) 295 50.1%
Vice President Hubert Humphrey(D-MN)/Former Governor Terry Sanford(D-NC) 243 49.6%

Close States(Under 5 Points):

Arkansas: Humphrey 50.01%, Goldwater 49.89%
Illionis: Goldwater: 50.07%, Humphrey 49.71%
Georgia: Goldwater: 50.77%, Humphrey 48.91%
Texas: Goldwater 51.04% , Humphrey 48.64%
Kentucky: Humphrey 51.99%, Goldwater: 47.26%
North Carolina: Humphrey 52.24%, Goldwater: 47.26%

Senate:

Democrats: 55(-6)
Republicans: 45(+6)

House of Representatives:

Democrats: 223(-12)