A Different Republican Icon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:52:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Different Republican Icon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23
Poll
Question: Who do you think will win the 1980 Election
Fritz Hollings

Jack Kemp

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: A Different Republican Icon  (Read 67907 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: May 30, 2020, 09:16:27 PM »

What do you think of the FP team
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #526 on: May 30, 2020, 09:25:23 PM »

As I am quite the interventionist I like the picks of Westmoreland and Kirkpatrick. However, Reagan's IRL track record in regards to FoPo has me worried.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #527 on: May 30, 2020, 09:33:12 PM »

As I am quite the interventionist I like the picks of Westmoreland and Kirkpatrick. However, Reagan's IRL track record in regards to FoPo has me worried.

Reagan does have a pragmatic streak to him and he is probably a little less interventionist than Kirkpatrick imo .

Also Casper Weinberger is not part of this admin so If the thing you are worried about is what I’m thinking about , it largely should be avoided
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #528 on: June 01, 2020, 05:57:06 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 03:06:38 AM by Old School Republican »

Breaking News: Republican Bob Casten prevails in Senate Election in Wisconsin after recount shows him winning by .05%.

Chancellor: After a full recount was done in Wisconsin, the secretary of state of Wisconsin officially certified Republican Bob Casten the winner in the Senate race by .05% points over the Democratic Senator Nelson in an upset victory giving the Republicans 55 senate seats although since we expect the New York Governor to appoint a Democrat to fill President-Elect Kemp's seat that number will likely be 54

President-Elect Kemp makes picks for Justice, HUD, Education and Transportation:

Attorney General: California Senator George Deukmejian

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Former Michigan Senator Robert Griffin

Secretary of Education: Former US Commissioner on Education Terrel Bell

Secretary of Transportation: Congressman Norman Lent

Chancellor: Not surprising here but with the exception of Senator Deukmejian, his choices for these picks were more moderates as these were the picks where he was expected to pick moderates and he has

Congress passes bill which will tie the minimum wage to inflation and President Hollings signs it into law

Brinkley: President Hollings and Democratic Leaders were successful in their efforts to ram through a bill that will tie the minimum wage to inflation and get it passed with every Democrat voting for it and even a few Republicans. What this bill means is say the value of 3 dollars which is the current minimum wage is worth 3.50 5 years from now, well then the minimum wage will automatically be 3 dollars and 50 cents in 1985.

So this bill was passed and the President did sign it into law today

Chancellor: One thing about this bill is that while conservatives tended to oppose this bill, I dont think they will put that much political capital in repealing this bill so given that fact, the President and the Democrats were able to get one more policy win before they leave office this upcoming January.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #529 on: June 03, 2020, 03:00:26 AM »

President-Elect Kemp fills out rest of cabinet:

Secretary of Health and Human Services: Former Senate Majority Leader Wallace Bennett

Secretary of Energy: Former Deputy Secretary of Defense Bill Clements

Secretary of Interior: Congressman Robert J Lagomarsino

Secretary of Agriculture: Iowa Lieutenant Governor Terry Branstad

Environmental Protection Agency Head: Former Deputy Administrator of the EPA Russell Train

Brinkley: Again no surprise here with these picks with the exception of Branstad

President-Elect Jack Kemp resigns from Senate and New York Governor Hugh Carey appoints UN Ambassador Patrick Moynihan to fill vacancy

Chancellor: Given the Republicans win in Wisconsin and now a loss for the Republicans in New York that will give the Republicans 54 Senate Seats compared to 46 Democrats in the next congress. Given the map in 1982 , unless its a major Dem wave year then this majority should hold until at least 1984
wightblack

« Reply #530 on: June 03, 2020, 01:20:53 PM »

I wonder how Goldwater will get elected. Also I guess his presidency won’t be too bad if the title is to be believed.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #531 on: June 03, 2020, 02:00:34 PM »

I wonder how Goldwater will get elected. Also I guess his presidency won’t be too bad if the title is to be believed.

You are way late, bud
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #532 on: June 03, 2020, 02:07:10 PM »

Hope you enjoy the TL
wightblack

« Reply #533 on: June 04, 2020, 08:02:07 AM »

You are way late, bud
lol

Hope you enjoy the TL
Lol thanks
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #534 on: June 06, 2020, 02:09:12 AM »

President-Elect Jack Kemp gives first official press conference since elections  

Source: https://www.c-span.org/video/?3600-1/kemp-announcement (Modified)

Reporter 1: President-Elect Kemp, you have made it clear you want Congress to work on a tax cut plan now but wouldnt that just delay the time it takes for your cabinet to be confirmed and if so shouldnt you wait until later to move on the tax bill

Kemp: Well the fact is we cant wait and the American people need action now as delaying action on the bill will only result in the recovery taking a long time. We promised that we would pass a bill repealing the 1977 tax bill and an additional 15% tax cut for businesses to help our economy come back from this recession. I believe and hope we can get such a bill passed within the first week of my administration as well. As for the cabinet , listen I believe congress can multi task and make sure my cabinet appointees are confirmed quickly

Reporter 1: We also have found out that you plan to sign a few executive orders on day 1 regarding regulations so can you give us more details on that

Kemp: Yes I will sign an executive order that restores President Goldwater's rules on regulatory making in executive agencies , and am working with Mr.Greenspan and Mr.Sowell on finding out which existing regulations we should get rid of regulations that are hurting economy growth.

Reporter 2: With the rhetoric your secretary of state nominee, Ronald Reagan, has used about the Soviets in the past many worry that his nomination could cause relations to deteriorate to the lowest levels since the Cuban Missle Crises. What do you say about that

Kemp: Having known Governor Reagan for a long time, I can tell you he is committed in making sure we can get arms control treaties signed but what he has been a critic about has been the overly trusting nature we have been towards the Soviets during the past 4 years and I agree with Governor Reagan on that and I am sure he will be an excellent Secretary of State

Reporter 3: Mr.President-Elect , on the campaign trail you promised not to run your administration on a narrow ideological means but looking at your cabinet many could argue that it is even more right wing that President Goldwater's cabinet. What do you have to say about that

Kemp: Well of course this is the most conservative cabinet, as the American people in last year's elections gave our party the largest majorities we have had since the 1920s so it was definitely a conservative mandate and I intend to carry that mandate out.

Reporter 3: Didnt you promise to not run your administration on narrow ideological means

Kemp: Well its not narrow at all, as the fact is we have nominated moderates in the cabinet such as Senator Griffin for example and second conservatives as a whole while they are united on the principles that makes us conservatives such as believing in the fact that the people not the government makes a nation great , a strong military the fact is we disagree on how we reach those principles and my appointments reflect that. Also I intend to and will try to reach out to Democrats in Congress as well as I am a believer that our nation works better if we work bipartisan
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #535 on: June 08, 2020, 12:24:51 PM »

President Fritz Hollings gives final press conference of his Presidency:

Source: https://thetandd.com/news/local/ex-us-sen-ernest-fritz-hollings-of-south-carolina-dead/article_5f975e50-5876-11e9-aea5-df06217d38a6.html

Reporter 1: President Hollings what do you think will be considered your biggest success and failure when history looks back at your administration

Hollings: Well I dont think any of us can really say that because many times, things that were considered successes and failures during the tenure of a president might not be many years from now. That said in my mind the proudest achievement of my adminstration was definitely passing healthcare reform as the fact is we were able to get a bill passed that makes healthcare more affordable to every American in this nation and helps us move in the direction of universal healthcare.

It is my belief that healthcare should be accessible by all Americans and while we weren't able to get the bill we wanted past I beleive the reforms we passed will continue to make healthcare more accessible to millions of Americans.

Reporter 2: On the contrary what would you say would be your biggest failure

Hollings: I would say my biggest failure would definitely be the failure to pass the partial repeal of Taft-Hartley. The fact is unions helped build the middle class of this nation and it is my belief we must keep our nation's labor movement strong in order to protect and build upon those gains and the sections of Taft-Harley we are tried to repeal were the ones that were designed to weaken the labor movement and I feel that my failure to get that repealed will result in the decline of the labor movement . I do hope that one day in the future such a bill passes that does do that

Reporter 2: What about on the economy

Hollings: Well I believe we put in the right policies to deal with the crises that in the future , history will show that we did help our economy from falling in a deeper recession and did help with the recovery.

Reporter 3: Do you have any regrets with your policy of a more detente in tensions with the Soviets

Hollings: Well with hindsight there are things I would have done differently but I believe the arms control treaty we had agreed to was important but somethings I would have done differently was ask for more enforcement provisions on the treaty but the thing is we did not have that hindsight unfortunately so we really cant judge decisions based on hindsight but whether we made the right decision with the data we had then and the answer is yes

Reporter 4: Did you give any words of advice to President-Elect Jack Kemp

Hollings: Yes and that is to be trusting of the team you have hired as you as a President cannot do everything at once and the only way an administration can work is if you put enough trust in your administration even sometimes if they dont agree with you 100% of the time
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #536 on: June 10, 2020, 03:25:07 PM »

President Hollings gives Farewell Address:

Hollings: My fellow American, this is the last time I will be speaking to you and I want to start out by thanking you for giving me the honor of representing this great nation as your president for the last 4 years. Over the past 4 years I had the honor of working with one of the Greatest Vice President our nation has ever had, Edmund Muskie, and a great team overall and I want to thank them for the support as well. I also want to thank many friends I have had in the US senate over the years going back to 1966 and I had the honor of working with you to make our nation better as well.

Over the past 4 years it was my honor to work with all of you to pass legislation such as Healthcare reform, expand food programs for poor children, making college more affordable for Americans and while we may not have gotten everything done in which we wanted to get done I will always be proud of those pieces of legislation. Worldwide while hopes of peace seems to be low ,  I can tell you that I am still optimistic that we will achieve peace and no matter how grim things look we must never stop trying.

While our nation faces many problems today I am sure we will get through these problems like we always have and I will be hoping and praying for the success of President Kemp as his success will mean solving those problem which is what is more important than any political results at the end of the day. Thank You, May God Bless You and May God Bless America
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #537 on: June 12, 2020, 03:27:23 AM »

The inauguration of Jack French Kemp:

Former President Barry Goldwater, and current California Governor Barry Goldwater Jr give their thoughts on Jack Kemp's inauguration:

Brokaw: President Goldwater in just a few hours, President-Elect Kemp will be giving his inaugural address just like you did 12 years ago. Do you have any advice for the incoming president

Goldwater: Well mine would be just to be yourself and also not to go too much into the details about policies in your speech as he will be giving a state of the union a month from now where he will do that. Rather just give the overall philopshy

Brokaw: Which policy are you most looking forward too

Goldwater: Regulatory Reform as with this congress I am sure it passes and doing so will finally restore government back to where our constitution mandates our government to be

Brokaw: Governor Goldwater many have called you the future of the party and beleive you are the successer to President Kemp to lead the Republican party

Goldwater Jr: Well right now President-Elect Jack Kemp is the future of the Republican Party and will be until 1986 when we start debating who should succeed two successful terms of President Kemp

Brokaw: Not to be mean ,but do you think President-Elect Kemp could be a better President than your father

Goldwater Jr: Hopefully he is because my father was a great President for this nation, and if someone is even better than him then it will be even better for this coutnry

Goldwater : Oh I agree , hopefully, President-Elect Kemp is better than I was

Muskie Sworn in by Justice Lucas:

Lucas: Mr.Secretary, put up your right hand and repeat after me

Connally: I, John Bowden Connally, do solemnly swear
that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States
against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;
that I take this obligation freely,
without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion;
and that I will well and faithfully discharge
the duties of the office on which I am about to enter.
So help me God.

Lucas: Congratulations, Mr.Vice President

Hollings sworn in by Chief Justice Burger:

Burger: Marshall: Senator, put up your right hand and repeat after me

Hollings: I, Jack French Kemp, do solemnly swear
that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States,
and will to the best of my Ability,
preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.
So help me God.

Burger: Congratulations, Mr. President

President Kemp's Inaugural Address:

Baker: Ladies and Gentleman, the President of the United States(Applause)

Kemp: Mr.Chief Justice, President Hollings, President Goldwater, distinguished guests and my fellow Americans I want to start out by thanking President Hollings for helping my team and I in this transition process as much as possible to make this transition work and I also want to thank you for your decades of service to this nation and I want everyone to give you a standing ovation(Applause). What makes our nation great is the fact we have a moment where we can celebrate an occasion which in many parts of the world would lead to conflict(Applause) but here we celebrate that thanks to our great founding fathers( Applause).

Our founding fathers understood what makes a nation great is the people not a government and made us the only government in the world where the people tells the government what to do and not the other way around(Applause). It is my intention for us to return to those founding principles what made our nation so great as the fact is the government does not know and cannot run our lives better than we can run them ourselves and on that fundamental principle there will be no compromise(Applause). Our nation has faced many challenges before and throughout history, we have conquered those challenges and this isnt any different but to do so we must realize its the people who will help our nation solve those problems and I as the president intend to help the people in their efforts as the number one job of a president is defending the freedom of our people and I will do so (Applause).

Doing so is the only way we can credibly stand up against enemies of freedom throughout the world as we can only convince other nations to take the side of freedom if we live by what we preach(Applause). We also must once again make it clear to nations who want to choose the correct path that we will defend you at all costs and will not allow totalitarian communist regimes to topple your nation's government and turn your nation into a tyrannically nation as well(Applause). To do so I will require your help though and I hope you join us in helping making our nation reach its potential of being better than it ever has been before(Applause). Thank You, May God Bless You and May God Bless America
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #538 on: June 12, 2020, 03:24:26 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2020, 11:06:14 PM by Old School Republican »

Epilogue Part 1: Conservative Domination

In just 11 years Jack Kemp had gone from being a football player to President of The United States, arguably one of the most stunning and fastest political rises in modern history but with it came high expectations that he not only return the nation to the Goldwater Era but expand upon it. Within a week, the new President would get a massive victory as his tax proposal of repealing the 1977 tax bill plus an additional 15% across the board tax cut for businesses would pass . More Government programs would once again be block granted to the states in the budget.  His most contentious legislative battle came over regulatory reform a bill which would greatly reduce regulatory powers of executive agencies successfully passed through the senate thanks to a larger Republican majority and a more conservative Republican caucus as well. Another controversial moment of the Kemp Presidency came when air traffic control union declared a strike he announced he would invoke Taft-Hartley and fire any employee who didnt return to work within 24 hours which he followed through on despite massive opposition from Democrats and Labor Unions across the country.

On the Foreign policy side , He would also get an approval of plans to increase defense spending by 20% over the next 5 years which would mark a clear sign that the US would return to a more aggressive cold war stance and another stance with that was Vice President Connally helping oversee and effort to make US intelligence agencies more powerful again. Which made the effort very controversial was his plan to cut domestic spending to pay for the increase and while he failed to get all the spending cuts he was asking for he was able to get cuts of a few programs and spending increases of many programs delayed as well. Secretary of State Ronald Reagan also made it clear that the goal of the United States in the cold war was not to coexist with communism but to defeat it and the increasing US military presence in Europe symbolized changing attitudes along with increases in military aid to Afghan rebels who were fighting a guerrilla war against the USSR in Afghanistan.

Despite many policy victories in his first two years , the bad economy would result in Republicans losing 28 house seats which would mean a loss in control of the house and despite a favorable senate map the Republicans would only gaining one senate seat gaining Virginia and Nevada while losing the California Seat to former LA Mayor Jerry Brown. This loss though still would keep the Republicans in charge of the Senate which would allow the President to continue to reshape the federal judiciary in a more conservative direction and get passed free trade deals with European nations. Abroad the US would toppled a communist-backed government in Grenda , the CIA would begin to fund operations in Latin America to boost the strength of anti-communist governments, and the US would continue to increase Sanctions against Soviet backed interests as well.

Thanks to a fast-growing economy President Kemp's popularity would recover and in 1984 he would win a landslide victory over Massachusetts Senator  Ted Kennedy by winning every state with the exception of Kennedy's own home state and the District of Columbia. This victory also would result in the Republicans gaining 22 House Seats and winning an extremely narrow 219-216 House Majority and with things staying static in the Senate which the Republicans would control a 55-45 majority. President Kemp would use the renewed majority to push for more tax cuts would pass as well. Along with trade deals such as bilateral trade deals with Mexico and a updated one with Canada would also pass Congress. The 1986 midterms would not go well for the GOP though as the 6th year itch would result in Democrats taking control of both houses of congress

Abroad the collapse of the Soviet effort in Afghanistan, and  Gorbachev being their new leader would result in new diplomatic talks and Secretary of State Ronald Reagan would make it his main priority and after a year of negotiating a new arms control treaty would be signed under the agreement the Soviet Union would withdraw from Afghanistan by 1989.  Kemp would defy conservatives in the party in the issue of South Africa implementing Sanctions on the regime in 1985 and that effort would pay of as Nelson Mandela would be released in 1988 and South Africa would agree to move to fully democratic elections by 1991. Also on the issue of immigration, President Kemp would help pass a deal that would increase border security in exchange for amnesty for illegal immigrants living in the US before 1981 and he would also pass a bill increasing the amount of high skilled workers to the US.

The 1988 Republican Primary would be contested by Republican Majority Leader Bob Dole and former California Barry Goldwater Jr which Barry Goldwater Jr would prevail. The Democratic primary would be contested between Massachusetts Governor Micheal Dukakis, and Ohio Senator John Glenn and Ohio Senator John Gleen would prevail in a tightly fought primary. The General election would be tightly contested at first but the popularity of President Jack Kemp, and growing peace and prosperity would result in the son of former President Barry Goldwater, Barry Goldwater Jr winning a healthy victory winning with over 350 electoral votes in route to a 5 point victory.

President Jack Kemp would end his term very popular but it was clear that despite the 1980s being more conservative than the first half of the 1970s, much of his success had to do with the blue print laid out by President Barry Goldwater and President Goldwater would remain the modern  icon of Republicans
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #539 on: June 14, 2020, 03:27:21 AM »

Epilogue Part 2: Return of Goldwater

The Son of Conservative Icon, Barry Goldwater Jr took the oath of office with his father watching him with high expectations laid out for the former California Governor. A problem he faced despite arguably being even more conservative and libertarian than his father was that his honeymoon period would be much shorter due to Republicans already being in the White House for 8 years which made gridlock a feature of Washington DC from day 1. A major compromise he was able to get done though was on the issue of abortion in which Congress would agree to pass a constitutional amendment which would ban abortion at 18 weeks and would be quickly ratified by these states despite opposition from both pro-life and pro-choice groups. On every other issue though it seemed like gridlock was the feature as Democrats seemed to have no reason to make compromises with the President which led to a dip in his popularity.

What kept the President's popularity from falling into the net negatives was the fact that things seemed to go better than ever in foreign affairs from the Berlin Wall Falling , to the Soviets leaving Afghanistan and a trilateral trade agreement being singed between the US, Canada and Mexico. The major. In August of 1990 Suddam Hussain invaded Kuwait and despite reluctance to use force , President Goldwater Jr along with the UN announced operation Desert Shield where they would send troops to Saudi Arabia to stop Suddam Hussain from taking over the whole region and announced that if Suddam hadn't withdrawn from Kuwait by January . Through all this the 1990 midterms would take place and it would be viewed as a status quo election with Democrats only gaining 2 seats in the House and none in the Senate which man credited to the President's popular foreign policy and his strong stance against raising taxes.

In January of 1991 the Gulf War would commence as Suddam refused to withdraw from Kuwait and despite fears of a repeat of Vietnam, the US led coalition forces would rout the Iraqi army ejecting them from Kuwait within 6 weeks and forcing Suddam to agree to dismantle all of his weapons of mass destruction in exchange for a cease fire. This would result in President Goldwater approval to jump to a record 86% and would push many Democratic contenders such as Lloyd Bentsen, Michael Dukakis, and Al Gore out of the race. This along with the first Democratic Election in South Africa resulting in the victory of Nelson Mandala also increased the popularity of the President and made him seem unstoppable entering the 1992 election. The main event which took place in 1991 was the fall of the Soviet Union which marked the end of the cold war and an inauguration of a new era and hopes of a democratic Russia and Eastern Europe as well.

Despite massive successes for the US throughout the world from winning the cold war, the gulf war , trouble would brew at home with gridlock making domestic politics completely paralyzed outside of continuing resolutions , a recession making unemployment rate to go up over 7% ,  riots in LA , and a crime wave made things look like things were getting much worse at home despite successes in the Cold War. This would result in the President's popularity plummeting to the upper 30s by mid 1992 and would make the Democratic Nominee, New York Governor Mario Cuomo who easily defeated Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton in the primaries the favorite going into 1992. Despite the President's libertarian leanings he would decide to run a tough on crime platform in 1992 and hit Mario Cuomo on his opposition to the Death Penalty , the massive spike in crime in New York City during his tenure as Governor which would hurt Governor Cuomo signifanctly in the polls and along with a growing economy during the third quarter make the election a tossup entering election day.

The election would be one of the closest elections ever with it seemingly going back and forth all night long but thanks to a strong performance in Orange County, San Diego county and keeping the Democrats margin within 10 points in Los Angeles County President Goldwater Jr was able to eke out a close victory in California and Thus win the election with one of the narrowest popular vote victories ever . Republicans also would gain 4 seats in the Senate thus taking the chamber over for the first time since 1986

Despite President Goldwater Jr getting narrowly reelected in 1992 and Republicans retaking the Senate, Democrats in the House would remain in firm opposition to the Presidnet agenda which would eventually result in a six-week long government shutdown which would end with Welfare Reform passing in exchange for massive cuts in Defense Spending and the cap on social security taxes being raised. Despite the President getting welfare reform finally passed the shutdown would erode his popularity and despite bill passing such as bills to help reduce crime in the country , the President's popularity would never recover and Republicans would lose the Senate in 1994 and lose another 25 house seats along with it putting the Republicans into a deep minority in the House.

This would result in gridlock dominating President Goldwater's final two years with seemingly nothing getting down in Washington but unlike in Goldwater's first term this time the blame would fall mostly on the Republicans which would make their chances of holding the white house in 1996 seemingly get reduced by the day. The Democratic primary would be a battle between mainly 3 contenders, Texas Governor Ann Richards, and California Senator Jerry Brown which would be one of the most back and forth primaries in modern history but the California Senator would narrowly prevail and would select West Virginia Senator Jay Rockefeller to be his running mate. The Republicans would nominate Vice President Bob Dole and Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson as their Vice Presidential candidate in hopes of winning a 5th consecutive term for the Republicans.

The 1996 election would also result in a third party candidate, Businessman and real estate Tycoon Donald Trump would throw his hat in the ring calling both parties a massive failure for the gridlock and would run on how his dealmaking skills would help Washington work again. His campaign against gridlock and populist rhetoric on trade and interventionism would help him skyrocket in the polls and qualify for the Presidential Debates. The Presidential Debates though would not go well for Trump and would result in him falling off to around 13% of the vote on election day drawing almost equally from both sides. The election overall though would result in a landslide victory for California Senator Jerry Brown winning 400+ EV and a 48-40-13 margin in the popular vote which many would attribute due to massive fatigue after 16 years of Republicans in the White House , a lackluster Republican campaign and Democratic candidate Jerry Brown successfully being able to unite the Democratic party in a way they hadn't been united since the mid 1960s.

Despite high expectations for President Barry Goldwater Jr and many successes abroad and even successes on welfare reform and trade on economic issues his tenure being dominated by gridlock would mean that the President would never be able to meet those high expectations . The crime issue would mean that the President would not be able to govern by his libertarian ideals either .
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #540 on: June 15, 2020, 01:08:16 PM »

Jerry Brown becoming president would be absolutely great. However, I'm not sure how he would actually govern, since he re-invented himself more than once throughout his political career. IRL 1992, he ran as outsider wanting to clean things up, later in his 2010 bid for governor, he stressed experience and pragmatism. Anyway, I think he would have done a good job in the climate issue and fiscal restraint.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #541 on: June 16, 2020, 03:49:23 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2021, 12:17:53 PM by Old School Republican »

Epilogue Part 3: The Dawn of a New Century

On January 20th 1997, Jerry Brown would become the first Democratic President in 16 years and with a large majority in the house and a majority in the senate hoped to inaugurate a new democratic era after 28 years of seemingly conservative dominance. With Democratic majorities in both houses of congress, the President and Democrats would pass a bill mandating employers give 8 weeks of paid maternity leave and 6 weeks of paternity leave , increase the top tax bracket from 25% to 35% and creating 4 more tax brackets as well to restore the more progressive nation of the tax code to create a Children's Health Insurance Program to help cover uninsured children, expand funding into education, spend more on infrasutrue and to reduce the deficit. On the other hand the President's attempts to pass a healthcare reform bill would fail due to united opposition by Republicans and a failure to unite the more left wing Democrats in the party with more moderates on a bill made it almost impossible to pass a healthcare reform bill and after 6 months of trying , Democrats would abandon efforts to pass such a bill.

Despite failures to pass healthcare reform the President hoped the budget surplus and other bills they passed would help them keep their majorities in Congress and while the Democrats narrowly were able to maintain control of the house, the Republicans were able to take control of the senate. In Texas the Democrats would lose control of the legislature and lose every state wide race in a stunning rout for a party that seemingly dominated 1994. In New York the Republicans would shock the political world as Republican Rick Lazio would win the Governorship in an upset and giving the Republicans control of the highest office in the very important state for the first time since 1974.

1999 domestically would be a year of many compromises as congressional republican and democrats would form coalitions to pass veto proof bills on financial and media and in exchange Republicans would concede on educational reform and agree to pass bills to expand financial aid for college, increase funding for teachers but would have more testing as well. The President would also use his executive power to increase the power of agencies such as the EPA and would change HUD's metro policy from being focused on suburban development to urban renewal and bills passed in his first two years would help the President with such an agenda.

Abroad his first term would go smoothly with the exception of Kosovo where the president would intervene in behalf of Kosovo and against Slobodan Milošević and help the people of Kosovo get independence from Yugoslavia. He also get trade deals passed with Latin American nation,  extend trade relations with China and these deals would be quickly approved by congress. In the 2000 election the booming economy, record surplus and relative peace around the world would help Jerry Brown win a landslide victory over the Republican candidate, Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson in a relatively low turnout election but Democrats would fail to retake the seante due to a unfavorable map and Republicans focusing all their energy on keeping control of the senate.
 His second term would begin with a focus on passing campaign finance reform along side Repulican Senator John McCain and after 6 months of work would get a bill passed which would greatly reduce the power of "soft money in politics", and put limitations on the influence of Pac's . While there were many bumps in the Brown presidency it had relatively gone smoothly due to record peace of prosperity but that would change.

On September 11th 2001, the worst terrorist attack in US history would take place as terrorists would hijack 4 airplanes ramming two airplanes into the world trade center , another into the pentagon while another would crash in a field in Pennsylvania. In response to these attacks , President Jerry Brown would declare a war on terror which would be focused on 3 fronts the first goal would be to remove the Taliban regime from power due to their support of Al-Qaeda, the second would be to have the CIA and other US intelligence agencies make counter-terrorism their primary focus , and 3 would be to promote democracy in the middle east . He also would announce a creation of a homeland security department to bring all departments charged with defending homeland security under one cabinet department, and beefing up of airport security. On October 7th 2001 , 250,000 US troops would invade Afghanistan and within 6 weeks would remove the Taliban regime , and the US would also be able to kill the mastermind of the September 11th attacks, Osama Bin Laden at Tora Bora along with many other escaping Al-Qaeda leaders. Despite the victory in the Afghan War , Defense Secretary Sam Nunn announced that the work is not over and now the peace must be won and that the goal must be to turn Afghanistan into a stable democracy.

At home the President would nominate outgoing New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani to head the new Department of Homeland Security and his nomination would be confirmed unanimously by the senate. Congress would also pass a bill that would greatly improve the CIA's ability to conduct counter-terrorism operations throughout the world and within 6 months thanks to intel given by the CIA the US airforce was able to take out a terror cell in Syria led by one of al-Qaeda top leaders, al-Zarqawi. Another trouble spot that emerged though was Iraq in which Suddam kept kicking out UN WMD inspectors and refused to cooperate with the US in the war on terror which made a potential war with Iraq seem more than likely. To force Suddam to cooperate , UN forces led by the US would begin an Air war against Iraq where they destroyed major Iraqi military infrastructure throughout the nation which did end up working as Suddam agreed to cooperate with the UN on WMD's inspections and the US on the war on terror.

This success boosted the President's popularity to such an extent that despite the 2002 midterms being a 6th year itch the Democrats would only lose 3 seats in the House and only 1 seat in the Senate . A problem though which would emerge during the President's last two years was the slow economic recovery from a recession which had caused unemployment to go over 6% and the record surplus to be wiped out and despite the fact that President Brown did not want to go into a larger deficit he would agree to cut taxes for people making under 100,000 dollars a year by 5% for a 5 year period along with an infrastructure bill worth 100 billion over the next 4 years. Other domestic plans were mainly put on hold due to the War on Terror and the economic recovery being the two main issues facing the nation.

While elections weren't held in Afghanistan yet there was clear signs progress was being made as stronger court systems to go after former Tailban leaders was being established, religious freedoms were being expanded due to a decrease in violence and a new Afghan military was being trained by US troops. On the other hand Syria was quickly becoming another place where a major goverment was refusing to cooperate with the US on the war on terror and in response to that the US would implement major sanctions against the Syrian regime as well. Libya would also agree to eliminate their WMD stockpile due to mounting pressure by the US in exchange for a guarantee the US would not invade Libya .

Despite success in the war on terror , the seemingly slow economic recovery would result in Presdient's Brown popularity falling of to the low 50s for the rest of his Presidency which would also reduce the Democrats chance of winning the White House. The Democratic primary was mainly contested by 3 candidates: Defense Secretary Sam Nunn, House Speaker Dick Gephardt and Massachusetts Senator John Kerry which was a nomination battle that Secretary Nunn would win despite his more moderate-conservative views and would name California Governor Kathleen Brown as his running mate . The Republican nomination would be battled by on the other hand by Florida Governor Jeb Bush, Arizona Senator John McCain and Texas Governor Kay Bailey Hutchinson and despite a close contest early on, Governor Jeb Bush would win on Super Tuesday and use the momentum to win the nomination and would name Arizona Senator John McCain as his running mate.

The main issue of the election would be the War on Terror and the economy with the Democrats having the advantage on the issue of on who would better handle the War on Terror and Republican having the edge on the economy . The 2004 election would be one of the closest elections ever from the beginning of the campaign to election night with both candidates trading leads throughout the night and the election would be decided by the pivotal state of Oregon and its 7 electoral votes and while Governor Bush seemed to be leading all night , the Democratic strangehold in Oregon, Multnomah County would put Secretary Nunn over the top in Oregon and give him very narrow electoral victory. The House, on the other hand, would also very narrowly stay in Democratic hands with Democrats winning a total of 218 seats compared to Republicans in 2017 while Republicans would expand their majority in the senate.

While the victory of Secretary of Defense Sam Nunn and the fact that President's Brown sister would be the next vice President meant that much of the legacy put in place by President Brown should remain in tact. On the other hand President Jerry Brown who went in wanting to make his legacy about domestic issues and the environment instead was forced to change course to a more foreign policy approach in his 2nd term due to the war on terror and even though the President knew that was absolutely the right decision to make he was disappointed he couldn't get more done on the domestic front

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #542 on: June 17, 2020, 03:11:12 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2020, 11:29:08 PM by Old School Republican »

Epilogue Part 4: The Centrist Democrat  

In President's Nunn Inaugural speech it became clear that the new President was going to lead a more technocratic vision of how to lead the nation. The issue of immigration was an issue which had not been addressed at the federal level since the Kemp Adminstration and with the system seemingly getting more broken by the month , The Nunn Administration made the issue a top priority. After months of negotiating Congress would pass an immigration bill that would provide a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants who were here for 5 years or more in exchange for building a fence along the border, increasing the penalties for employers who hire illegal immigrants and the effective ban of sanctuary cities as well. Another domestic issue he would focus on during his first two years in office was the issue of climate change where the President would once again work with Republican Senator John McCain to pass a cap and trade bill which he would sign into law in April of 2006.

Abroad President Nunn would continue President Brown's policies in Afghanistan to help bring democracy to the place and in April of 2006 , Afghanistan would hold its first election since the fall of the Taliban. The CIA would also successfully manage to conduct many counter terrorist operations throughout the middle east and help destroy many terror cells in the region. Sanctions would also be increased on the Iranian Regime in hopes of tweaking the power of the Ayotallohs and stopping Iranian nuclear programs as well. Generally foreign affairs for the US went smooth for the US with the exception of North Korea due to the fact they were able to test a nuclear weapon despite heavy US sanctions.

President Sam Nunn would enter the 2006 election's very popular with approvals in the low 60s and hoped his popularity would help Democrats make historic gains but a 10th year itch would result in Republicans gaining 13 seats in the house thus taking over the chamber for the first time since 1986 and would gain 3 senate seats thus increasing their Senate majority. While the losses were not that bad due to the President's popularity the result would surely hurt the President in the next two years.

The next two years would result in much of President Nunn's agenda being watered down by a Republican Congress with the President forced to make compromises with House Speaker John Kasich to avoid a return to gridlock that marked much of the Goldwater Jr years. Such bipartisan deals included trade deals such as CAFTA, but the biggest one would be tort reform in which President Nunn would agree to sign a bill that would cap punitive damages which would anger the liberal wing of the party.

Along with liberals in the party getting mad over what they believed to be a prolonged occupation of Afghanistan, would result in President Nunn facing a primary challenge from the left when Ohio Congressman Dennis Kucinich would announce a primary challenge to President Nunn. A near defeat in Iowa would lead many to believe that the President may face a tough road to be renominated and while he managed to sweep the primaries that near defeat in Iowa would weaken the President. On the Republican side the primaries would mainly be fought by 3 candidates: Texas Governor Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Arizona Senator John McCain and New York Governor Rick Lazio in which the Texas Governor would prevail and she would select Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney to be her running mate. Due to a worsening economy and President Nunn being weakened by a primary challenge he would be defeated by a 6 point margin in November and Texas Governor Kay Bailey Hutchinson would become the first female President in US history.

The Sam Nunn years while they didnt end on a high note would be remembered as some of the centrist years the nation has ever had and many of his achievements on issues such as immigration, cap and trade and tort reform would be appreciated in the future even if they may have created opposition when they were first passed into law  
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #543 on: June 19, 2020, 02:37:36 AM »
« Edited: June 20, 2020, 03:53:19 AM by Old School Republican »

Epilogue Part 5: The First Female President

When President Hutchinson was integrated she faced the immediate issue of having to face the worst economic crises since the early 1980s. The failure of many community banks in the nation had many people fearing a large bank could fail especially given many people suspecting the merger between JP Morgan and Bear Stearns last September was due to the impending collapse of Bear Stearns. To avoid a deep recession Congress would pass a 3 part stimulus: One in the forms of tax cuts for individuals and businesses across the board , one in loans to community banks across the nation , and another being an infrastructure package and the bill would pass with bipartisan support. Second step was making sure that Lehman doesnt fail and in order to make sure that wouldn't happen the US Government would negotiate a deal with  British regulators and the board of Barclays in which the US Government would agree to buy off Lehman's toxic assets in exchange for Barclays buying Lehman brothers. This deal would make sure the US would enter a major financial crisis although a mini financial crisis was unable to be avoided.

With a major financial crisis being avoided and a stimulus bill passing the Hutchinson administration would set their next focus on Healthcare reform and learning from the mistakes of the Brown administration the Hutchinson administration would break up the reform into 3 separate bills: One dealing with Pharmaceuticals, one dealing with Health Insurance and one dealing with Health Providers. On Phramecauticals congress would pass a bill dropping many restrictions on importing medicine from nations such as Canada, on insurance they would pass a bill that would eliminate state lines and add a $1000 tax credit for anyone who purchases insurance. While it seemed like things were moving smoothly attempts to make major malpractice reform, Even further than what was done in 2007)  led to a huge backlash and Republicans dropping their efforts to to make those changes. It would also lead to the Democratic party which had seemingly been stuck in endless infighting since the fall of 2007 to unite in opposition to the bill especially given that one of the leaders to the opposition to the bill was a moderate Democrat, Congressman Bob Casey Jr who helped rally conservative moderate and liberal democrats against the bill and defeat it. This defeat would put brakes on the GOP momentum and while the GOP would get more victories such as LAFTA all it would do is create more opposition to the GOP and despite most people giving the President high marks for her handling of the War on Terror , the bad economy along with massive opposition to the GOP's malpractice reform bill and LAFTA would result in them losing 36 seats in the House and thus control of the house and another 6 seats in the house dropping the GOP senate majority to a meager 51-49. Congressman Bob Casey would also put an end to 12 years of Republican rule in Pennsylvania as he would be elected governor of that state.

Due to the defeat in 2010 , President Hutchinson would focus more of her attention in the next two  years on foreign affairs. The first instance was in Libya in which the President would intervene on behalf of the rebels to help overthrow Gaddafi but similar efforts would fail in Iraq due to Suddam Hussain's secret police and the Iraqi Republican Gaurd killing all the  protesters . This would lead to renewed call for the UN to dispose of Saddam from power and the UN would hold a resolution on a vote of invading Iraq but it was vetoed by the Russia and China. Saddam would also begin to flaunt UN resolutions even more by kicking out all inspectors and publically announcing the Iraqi government would restart its WMD program but that would turn out to be a mistake as the Russains and Chinese would abstain from the next resolution on an Invasion of Iraq went it became clear a coalition would form with or without the UN which would mean that if Suddam hadnt stepped down for power within a two week time frame the UN would send forces to forcefully topple his regime. When it became clear that Suddam would not step down, many high ranking officials in the Iraqi military and government would decide to launch a coup d'etat against Suddam Hussain which would succeed, and they would hand Suddam along with his kids and loyalists over to UN officials who would make Suddam face trial in the ICC court.  The new Iraqi leadership would agree to make some reforms that liberalized the nation in exchange for a decrease in the severity of UN sanctions and while Iraq still wasn't anywhere near  Democratic, the new leadership would be the Khrushchev to Suddam's Stalin. The events in Iraq would also get many middle east dictators to agree to somewhat liberalize their nation in order to hold their power .

Back at home though President Hutchinson's agenda was put on a standstill due to a Democratic house and while there was less gridlock and more compromises compared to the early to mid 90s , the Hutchinson agenda was put on hold. The Democratic primaries would be fought among 3 main candidates: Former Vice President Kathleen Brown, Massachusetts Senator John Kerry and Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer and while the former Vice President would prevail it would be a much tougher battle than originally expected. By election day though the improving economy with unemployment having fallen to 6.6% would result in President Hutchinson handily being reelected and Republicans would narrowly take over the house due to winning 11 seats and gaining a couple seats in the Senate.

Entering President Huchinson's 2nd term her first priority would be on the issue of energy independence given the issue of the economy and healthcare took up much of her first two years in office. Her reforms would include building the Keystone pipeline, expanding domestic oil exploration,  and increasing funding for alternative energy projects. This bill the President argued made sure we were investing in the energy sources of the present and also the future as well and after months of negotiations the North American Energy Independence Act of 2013 was passed into law. Also part of the bill was further drop in trade barriers between the American and Canadian governments for the energy sector to help make this possible. Her next priority was education reform in which she pushed for more funding for STEM classes , shop classes in public schools, increased testing , and expanding on merit-based scholarships. The testing part of the proposal was controversial as many liberals argued increased testing would lead to schools teaching to the test but given that most states already had similar requirements that part of the bill would pass as well making education reform happen as well.

Foreign Affiars would go rather smoothly as the new Iraqi leadership while dictatorial would be the new model many middle eastern dictatorships would model in order to keep uprisings or coup d'etat from taking places and it largely would help cool tensions that seemingly were spilling out of control in 2011. On the other hand Libya due to the fact that their was an revolution which took place there meant that the nation was still experiencing lots of instability which was leading to terrorist groups gaining power and the US would decide to intervene using targetted airstrikes but declined to send in ground troops without UN support. In Asia tensions between the North and South Koreans would increase due to a nuclear test by the North Koreans and the rise of China would also worry many Pacific US allies. The Biggest event though was the Russain invasion of Crimea which would result in tensions between the US and Russia going downhill, and Russia being kicked out of G8 and also NATO would implement heavy Sanctions on Russia due to that event.

The 2014 midterms would result in Dems taking both the House and Senate due to the 6 year itch and low top turnout and winning governorships in GA and FL after both states being in GOP hands since 1998. The last two years of the Hutchinson administration would be mainly dominated by compromise budget bills and executive orders being taken to cement her legacy. One big exception was the Trans Pacific Partnership trade deal which was a trade deal that involved the US , Canada and Pacific nations and would be ratified in January of 2016.

The 2016 election on the Republican side would be contested by Vice President Mitt Romeny who would have the field cleared for him and 8 year Kentucky Senator Rand Paul and despite Senator Paul being called a far right libertarian extremist by the media he stunned  all critics by performing really well , but Vice President Romney would prevail 55%-43% and would select Texas Senator George W Bush to be his running mate . On the Democratic side the field would be very divided but populist  Pennslyvania Governor Bob Casey Jr would manage to defeat candidates such as Massachusetts Senator John Kerry, Arkansas Senator Hillary Clinton, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and California Governor Antonio  Villaraigosa to win the nomination and he would select Louisiana Senator Mary Landrieu as his running mate . During the campaign Vice President Romney would seem to be the favorite throughout the campaign but it was clear by the enthusiasm numbers , Governor Casey had a far more enthusiastic base . On Election Day Governor Casey would shock the political world by defeating Vice President Romney in the election despite losses in previously considered swing states like Washington, Nevada and New Mexico due to his populist campaign helping Governor Casey win states even President Brown failed to win such as New Jersey and Wisconsin which would give Governor Casey the election .

Despite the election loss , President Hutchinson beleived her legacy was secure due to her successes in foreign affairs , energy and partially in healthcare but it was clear that she was worried about one thing and that was that this defeat could mean the rise of the far right libertarian wing they fought so hard to oppose in 2016 and their rise could leave the Republicans in big trouble .
Tron1993
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #544 on: June 19, 2020, 02:48:16 AM »

When you are done with the epilogues could you list all the offices the presidents and VPs held during their career?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #545 on: June 19, 2020, 03:26:52 AM »

When you are done with the epilogues could you list all the offices the presidents and VPs held during their career?

Sure though I’ll just do positions such as Mayor , major state wide offices , Senator , congressman , cabinet member
Tron1993
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #546 on: June 19, 2020, 05:44:48 AM »

Yeah that's fair…wasn't expecting you to do something like school board member lol
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #547 on: June 19, 2020, 10:24:54 PM »

Epilogue Part 6: The Populist Democrat

When Bob Casey Jr was inaugurated on January 20th, 2017 he knew he had an ambitious agenda which would be difficult to implement. His pledge to reform trade deals in order to make it more labor-friendly would be difficult given the fact they were already signed into law and withdrawing from them would be difficult but with a Liberal-NDP coalition government in Canada he hoped that renegotiating NAFTA could happen and with former Congressman Sherrod Brown as his Commerce Secretary he hoped it would. With Democratic majorities in both houses, President Casey would make his trillion-dollar infrastructure plan his top priority which would be aimed at fixing the C+ rating of US infrastructure and make it into an A rating and it would also focus on helping expand green infrastructure which he believed would help the US transition to alternative energy without hurting workers in traditional energy fields and he also would focus on hiring workers from affected industries like coal as well for the infrasture program. After months of negotiations and efforts to make sure workers from traditional energy industries either can keep their jobs or be hired from their current jobs, the infrasutrure project passed and was signed into law.  President Casey would also sign bills that would make the child tax credit refundable , and would put into place a Border Adjustment Tax as well.

On foreign affairs President Casey would come to an agreement with the Afghan government which would result in a permanent base in Afghanistan being created but all combat troops being withdrawn from Afghanistan by the year 2019. In Latin Amercica the inflation crises in Venezuala would cause instability in Venezuala to greatly increase and Maduro's crack down on any limited notion of Democracy would raise alarms as well. The main issue abroad that started to come up was the US relationship with China and President Casey's policy of implementing tariffs for their economic practices and sanctions for their human rights abuses would make it clear that the US Chinese relationship would be changed for good.

The 2018 midterms would result in only narrow losses in both houses for the Democratic party but given the narrow majority of the Democratic House it would cause Democrats to lose the house 219-216 to the Republicans. In the Gubernatorial races the biggest news was the election of former  Los Angeles Mayor(who was elected in a recall election in 2011) and former Hollywood actor Arnold Schwarzenegger to the California Governorship becoming the first Republican governor of the state in 24 years though would have comfortable majorities in both houses of the state legislature. Overall Democrats would not lose many seats in the Gubernatorial side either.

The year 2019 would go smoothly with a new NAFTA deal being signed which would include stricter labor and wage provisions and would be quickly ratified by congress. US combat troops would also withdraw from Afghanistan marking an end to 18 years of US combat operations in Afghanistan but one area where things would not go smoothly was the issue of China in which the trade war would only get worse. The strong economy also gave hope of a strong start to the next decade but things would change massively the next year.

A pandemic which originated in Wuhan,China would spread all across the world causing many nations in the world to lockdown including the United States in order to flatten the curve. The side affect of the lockdown would be that the stoppage of almost all economic activity would result in the worst economic recession since the Depression but unemployment would never go over 17% due to the government implementing a temporary UBI system of 1000 dollars a month for people making 100k or less which would last till September and would give  another 2 trillion worth of money in loans to small businesses to help keep them afloat as well. This would make President Casey's once almost guaranteed reelection prospects seem shaky.

The Republican primaries which largely would take place before Cornavirus became an issue would see Kentucky Senator Rand Paul easily defeat a divided Republican field of Texas Senator George W Bush, Florida Senator Marco Rubio , South Carolina Senator Nikki Haley, and Texas Governor Ted Cruz to win the nomination and he would select Texas Governor Ted Cruz to be his running mate. Despite the bad economy, Senator Paul's views on entitlements, the stimulus bill , and other far right domestic views would result in him being easily defeated by President Casey and Democrats would regain control of the house and hold control of the senate.

Entering his next term the President would have to deal with many issues ranging from making sure the economy recovers quickly and also would have to deal with the quickly deteriorating US relations with China

OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #548 on: June 20, 2020, 12:42:09 PM »

Sad to see this timeline end... are you gonna do another?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #549 on: June 20, 2020, 02:56:39 PM »

Maps of Presidential Elections from 1984-2020:

1984:

President Jack Kemp(R-NY)/Vice President John Connally(R-TX) 522 60.1%
Senator Ted Kennedy(D-MA)/Georgia Senator Jimmy Carter 16 39.3%

1988:

Governor Barry Goldwater Jr(R-CA)/Senator Bob Dole(R-KS) 358 52.7%
Senator John Glenn(D-OH)/Senator Lloyd Bentsen(D-TX) 1980 180  46.8%

1992:

President Barry Goldwater Jr(R-CA)/Vice President Bob Dole(R-KS) 319 49.7%
Governor Mario Cuomo(D-NY)/Senator Carl Levin(D-MI) 219 49.4%

1996:

Senator Jerry Brown(D-CA)/Senator Jay Rockefeller(D-WV) 400 48.1%
Vice President Bob Dole(R-KS)/Governor Tommy Thompson(R-WI) 138 40.1%
Businessman Donald Trump(I-NY)/Boston Univeristy President John Sliber(I-MA) 12.8%

2000:

President Jerry Brown(D-CA)/Vice President Jay Rockefeller 422 56.1%
Governor Tommy Thompson(R-WI)/Senator Connie Mack(R-FL) 116 42.8%

2004:

Secretary of Defense Sam Nunn(D-GA)/Former Governor Kathleen Brown(D-CA) 274 49.9%
Governor Jeb Bush(R-FL)/Senator John McCain(R-AZ) 264 49.5%

2008:

Governor Kay Bailey Hutchinson(R-TX)/Governor Mitt Romney(R-MA) 359 52.6%
President Sam Nunn(D-GA)/Vice President Kathleen Brown(D-CA) 179 46.5%

2012:

President Kay Bailey Hutchinson(R-TX)/Vice President Mitt Romney(R-MA) 355 52.4%
Former Vice President Kathleen Brown(D-CA)/Senator Hillary Clinton(D-AR) 183 46.8%

2016:

Governor Bob Casey(D-PA)/Senator Mary Landrieu(D-LA) 293 49.5%
Vice President Mitt Romney(R-MA)/Senator George W Bush(R-TX) 245 49%

2020:

President Bob Casey(D-PA)/Vice President Mary Landrieu(D-LA) 378 53.7%
Senator Rand Paul(R-KY)/Governor Ted Cruz 160 45.4%
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies