Rainbow in the Dark
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:07:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Rainbow in the Dark
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rainbow in the Dark  (Read 4203 times)
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2021, 09:53:57 PM »

July 15, 1991

South Boston, Massachusetts

Home is Where the Heart is

Easy Livin’ - Uriah Heep

It had been quite the journey for James Michael Hardy. Never in a million years could he have imagined that he’d end up at this stage making this announcement. Just five short years ago, he was still serving as the Mayor of Fall River, Massachusetts, beginning his bid to become the Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Even that office seemed unattainable to him at the time, or at very least he felt as if he was unworthy to hold it. The step he was taking on this day however seemed surreal in the deepest sense of the word. There were many questions that haunted his consciousness on this day. Would his father finally accept him now that he had made his mark on the world? Would his friends and family view him as a failure if this bid were to be unsuccessful? “Why the f**k does it have to be here of all places? Back here in Southie! Why do I ALWAYS end up back here?” He thought about the day he left home for Fall River in the first place. The long overnight shifts stocking shelves, going home to sleep for an hour and a half, and then punching in for another eight hours to go work on one of Fall River’s many commercial fishing boats.

Donahue: You good man? I know you’ve probably got some butterflies right about now.

Hardy: It’s just… Why the f**k here man? Couldn’t I have made this speech at the State House?

Donahue:  That was the original plan. You can thank Mr. Westman for this.

Hardy: How so?

Donahue: Well he made his f***in speech at a goddamn hole in the wall rib joint in Montana. Doesn’t get more common man or hometown hero than that! We have to at least attempt to match that same type of quaint, rustic, vibe.

Hardy: You want rustic? We could’ve gone out to the goddamn Berkshires if we wanted rustic! There’s nothing rustic about Southie at all.

Donahue: Yes, but some folks love the idea of the hometown hero giving the speech from, ya know. His hometown!

Hardy: (Peaks his head out to Survey the Crowd) For Christ’s sake, my dad could be here! I haven’t seen him in like 10 years, man! And God knows who else he’s told.

Armstrong: (Appearing behind the curtain) I suppose that’s my fault. How are you doing champ?

Hardy: Oh Jackie, thank God you’re here! I was afraid you might not show.

Armstrong: Trust me Jimmy, there’s nothing happening in Chicago that’s more exciting than this.

Donahue: What’s the matter, tired of watching the Cubs lose?

Armstrong: I could watch the Cubs lose all day. I’m a White Sox fan, Matty boy. You know, the actual Sox.

Donahue: Yeah the “actual” Sox. At least our Sox make a World Series every now and then. Your losing streak is even longer than ours buddy! And once my cousin gets called up to the majors you’re all in for it!

Armstrong: Oh yeah your cousin. What’s his name again? Hercules or some sh*t?

Donahue: It’s Connor sh*thead. I think you’re referring to his middle name which is Bartholomew.

Armstrong: Oh yeah that’s right. How the hell did he get that name?

Donahue: I don’t know man, he’s named after my great-grandfather.

Armstrong: So how the hell did your great-grandad get that name?

Donahue: F**k if I know man. He was born in Ireland in the 1800’s for Christ’s sake.

Armstrong: Man, and white people like to give us sh*t about what we name our kids. Goddamn hypocrites if you ask me!

Hardy: I’m really thrilled you guys are having fun right now, but uhh, I’m about to announce that I’m running for President of the goddamn United States right now! Can we please focus on that for a little bit?

Donahue: You’ll be fine, just remember what I told you last night.

Hardy: Matt, I drank about 20 shots of whiskey last night. I don’t remember jack sh*t about last night!

Donahue: Oh yeah that’s right. To be honest with you, I can’t remember what I said either. I’m sure it was something profound and astute though.

Armstrong: Last time you said something profound and astute you tried hitting a bull’s eye in that dart game and hit me right in the ass with your shot!

Donahue: Jackie, this is about Jimmy right now, let’s focus on him instead of me, okay?

Hardy: Did you at least bring the suit for me?

Donahue: The suit?

Hardy: DON’T TELL ME YOU FORGOT MY SUIT!

Donahue: I was just as plastered as you were last night, Jimmy! You’re lucky I even made it here on time!

Hardy: This can’t be happening right now! I’m literally wearing a f***in Pink Floyd tank top! I can’t announce for President of the United States in this sh*t!

Armstrong: Well lucky for you guys I always carry an extra suit with me in my briefcase, you never know when it might be needed.

Donahue: You just carry an extra suit with you for the f**k of it?

Armstrong: Man, I live in Chicago. You never know when a change of clothes is going to come in handy!  (Gives Hardy the briefcase)

Donahue: Actually to be fair, I do have a second tailor down in Newport. You know, for those nights on the beach…

Hardy: Jackie, WHY IS THIS SUIT WHITE?!

Armstrong: It’s my clubbing suit. It’s better than nothing, Jimmy!

Hardy: At this point I’m seriously considering going out there wearing the Pink Floyd shirt. I’m going to look like a goddamn idiot either way!

Armstrong: Put the suit on, stop being so self-conscious!

Donahue: Listen to Jackie, Jimmy. Besides, I haven’t yet revealed what I’ve got in my briefcase yet.

Armstrong: I sincerely hope it’s some type of Irish poem of inspiration.

Donahue: It’s Scottish and inspiring. So not quite as good, but close enough!

Donahue revealed a bottle of Johnnie Walker blue, still in its box freshly sealed. He poured a tall glass for each of the trio present.

Hardy: Are you insane? I’m already going to look like a fool out there, and now a drunken fool on top of it?

You don’t have to get drunk, but I would highly suggest you calm your nerves a bit.

Armstrong: (Places his hand on Jimmy’s shoulder) Yeah Jimmy, you could definitely use a drink!

Jimmy shoots a disappointed look at his friends, betraying the fact that he felt inadequate for the enormous demands of the job that he was applying for.

Donahue: Look, Jimmy. I don’t know what’s going to happen out there today, that’s entirely up to you. However, there is one fact that I am wholly sure of. You’re the man for this job. There isn’t anyone in this country that I know of that is more worthy of such a responsibility.

Hardy: But…. It’s just, I’ve made so many mistakes!

Donahue: It’s not about the mistakes that you’ve made, it’s about what you’ve learned from the last. And trust me when I say this, you have learned more about life than anyone I know, including myself.

Hardy: You’re a U.S. Senator, and before that you were the best defense attorney in Massachusetts! Why didn’t you just run?

Donahue: Because I know that there is a time and a place for all things. And this…. This is your time, my friend. If I were to attempt to run for president in this election, I’d be lucky to make it out of Iowa in one piece.

Armstrong: I fully concur with Matt here. Listen, I love you Jimmy, but even I can’t fully explain what it is that you possess. You possess a particular type of x-factor that none of the rest of us have.

Donahue: You know what? F**k the Walker Blue!

Donahue reaches into his sock and pulls out a small 1.5 oz bottle of what appeared to be a type of whiskey with an unreadable label.

Donahue: This is one of my most prized possessions. It came from my great-grandfather Bartholomew before he left Ireland. I keep it with me for good luck. However, I think this momentous occasion calls for a transfer of ownership. I want you to have it, Jimmy.

Armstrong: Drink up, buttercup.

Hardy: You know what? I think I’m good now. Maybe another time, Matt. Thanks, guys!

Donahue: Go get 'em, buddy.

Jimmy approached the podium, in his trademark disposition. He was still unsure of himself, particularly given the enormous pressure of the day, but was far more sure of himself then he would’ve been giving the same speech just a few short years ago. This had been a constant in the political career of James Michael Hardy. Never possessing the same levels of self-confidence as many of his peers, but consistently growing daily by his own metric. Jimmy scanned the crowd, as he began to deliver his crucial speech.

Hardy: I’d like to start off by thanking everyone in attendance today, and by offering my sincere gratefulness to everyone that came out to support the…..

Suddenly Jimmy Hardy noticed a man in the crowd that he hadn’t seen in years. It was his father, who he had a severe falling out with about 10 years prior. At that moment, Jimmy remembered the trauma that his family had suffered. The angst and torture that him and his father had collectively suffered at both the hands of the Vietcong, and the wealthy corporatists that Jimmy’s father had slaved away under, for the entirety of his adult life. It was as if a tremendous weight had been lifted off of Jimmy’s shoulders upon seeing his father again, and remembering the suffering that they had endured together. Jimmy now knew the purpose of both his crucial speech, and the mission of his campaign for President.

Hardy: Ya know what? Screw it, Screw it, Screw it! I’m going to save you all the B.S. and cut right to the chase of why I’m deciding to run in this pivotal election. As some of you undoubtedly know, when I was a young man, I went to Vietnam, not because I wanted to, no. But because I was forced into it. Sure, some conservative members of the press will respond to that statement and question my patriotism. Well screw them! Were they there, witnessing their friends and loved ones dying, a cruel heartless death in a battle that had absolutely nothing to do with defending democracy or our way of life? For the vast majority of these pundits, the answer to this question is a resounding no! And even amongst those who were forced to partake in that godawful war, a very low percentage of them had to witness the death of beloved family members! Now, what I say is not meant to slight anyone who courageously sacrificed to take part in that war. But what I say is meant to offer what I believe to be a unique perspective on many of the bloody wars that we have fought in our history.

In World War II, we defeated a genocidal maniac who was hellbent on not only dominating Europe, but the entire world. Was this a justified war for the United States to partake in? I believe you’d be hard pressed to find a single breathing soul who would find a problem in joining the fight to defeat the Axis Powers 50 years ago. A battle of similar ramifications was waged in order to ensure that all people in the United States could be free from bondage, and to establish the precedent of a more perfect union within our borders. Again, this is an example of a war that was entirely justified. However, if you were to ask not only me, but the American public if we are to be the world’s police, I believe you would be met with a negative response of deafening proportions!

Crowd: *Cheers*

Hardy: However, besides the horrifying prospect of yet another war, which is something I believe that we all would oppose except under the most dire circumstances, there is another issue that I believe the current administration and Republican Party is gravely incorrect about. And this issue is the struggle that the American laborer faces each and every day. For the past 10 years, we have been bombarded with what I call “The Big Lie.” The Big Lie tells us that the wealthiest among us remarkably don’t have quite enough money to improve our lives, and that if we just gave them a little bit more, all of our lives would improve by astonishing proportions. Well, my father used to preach to me the benefits of living by what he called, the “Seven Week Rule.” Meaning that if a man hadn’t met his promises within 7 weeks, he would NEVER follow through with these promises! He told me that he came up with this rule because most items ordered by mail would arrive within a window of 6-8 weeks. My father believed that “meeting them in the middle” was the most effective way of determining whether or not you had ordered from a legitimate enterprise, or you had fallen victim to an elaborate scam.

Crowd: *Laughs*

Hardy: While I am not sure if the Seven Week Rule was scientifically tested or not, I believe that 10 years is well beyond sufficient to determine whether or not a guarantee is a scam or not! Over 10 years, and no positive results for working class Americans? I would call that a tremendous lie!

Crowd: *Cheers*

Hardy: I am running for President of the United States, not because I have all the answers, or because I am even the most qualified candidate, but because I believe I possess a unique perspective on the issues that most dramatically affect the American working class, the American soldier, and the American way of life!

Crowd: *Cheers Loudly*

Hardy: God Bless All of you! And God Bless the United States of America!

Crowd: *Chanting* HARDY! HARDY! HARDY! HARDY! HARDY!

Donahue: *Talking on a nearby Pay Phone. Laughing* Yeah, I think we got a winner on our hands!
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2021, 12:06:10 AM »

July 18, 1991

New York, New York

Unconventional Warfare

Social Distortion - Another State of Mind

It was another warm summer evening in the early days on the 1992 Presidential campaign trail. This evening, a certain well respected news anchor sighed into his microphone showing fatigue from trying to get a certain United States Senator to realize that he was now live on national television.

Larry King: Senator Westman, can you hear me? Senator?

Herschelwitz: (Presenting a campaign pin to a tall Italian-American man, while simultaneously attempting to get Westman’s attention) Scott!!

Westman: (Interrupted from gifting his leather jacket to a large African-American man, he races toward the camera) Oh sh**t!

King: Hello Senator Westman, can you hear me now?

Westman: Oh Larry! Hey, how’s it going?

King: Senator, you seem to be a bit preoccupied, I must say that seems to be quite an unconventional rally you’ve got going on!

Westman: Well Larry, these are quite unconventional times that we are living in. After 12 years of Republican control of the highest office in the land, we are being forced to dwell in a SARANGHETTI of apocalyptic proportions! A land where the poor often go SHIRTLESS (pointing to a well built, young African American man wearing a New York Yankees baseball cap & no shirt) just to leave enough funds available to feed themselves and their families! (Gesturing to this same man) Sir, I understand that these must be incredibly difficult times for you and your family! Leaving you unable to even be able to afford such basic necessities as a shirt! (Grabbing a gift bag full of Westman 92’ merchandise) Here you are sir! At least now, you will have one shirt to call your own!

Man: Why thank you Senator Westman! You truly are a man of the people! (Tears running down his eyes) I haven’t had a shirt to call my own in 10 ye—-

King: Senator, do you believe that going without clothes is somehow a widespread epidemic in this country? (The sound of an explosion suddenly interrupts Larry King mid-sentence)

Larry King was hard-pressed to believe what he was witnessing. It appeared that the Senator was shooting campaign t-shirts out of a cannon with famed stunt performer Evel Knievel.

King: Mr. Knievel can you hear me?

Knievel: Loud and proud, Larry! I’m just thrilled to be here on this beautiful night with my old friend Senator Westman, and I’m also real happy to be making new friends out here in New York City!

King: Evel, is it true that Senator Westman was actually an aspiring stunt performer in his own right back when you began your career?

Westman: (Interrupting) You bet your ass I was, Larry! I actually taught Bobby (Knievel’s birth name) here a lot of the tricks he used early on when he toured the country. As a matter of fact we both got our start doing stunts in the parking lots of soup kitchens in Montana back in the day. You see, me and Evel would serve those who could not afford a hot meal, and then go outside and give them a show they would never forget! Usually we’d hop a couple of trash cans on a motorcycle or something. These folks were too broke to afford television sets at home, and oftentimes would show up barefoot with no shirts to call their own, just like some of my friends here in New York City.

King: That’s quite a history you guys have! Senator, I wanted to just ask you one more question before we head to a commercial break. What do you think your grandfather, the esteemed Senator from New York, Willie Westman would think of you beginning your campaign for president in your ancestral hometown?

Westman: Well Larry, I have to say that I am honored to hold the first official Westman 92’ campaign event here in New York. I think it just showcases the great strides that Irish Americans have made in the past 70 years. My grandfather had similar humble beginnings as myself, as a matter of fact he was often known to walk around shirtless in his youth, due to the despicable fact that his family didn’t have enough money to purchase clothing, and well, I just think his life showcased the promise of America. (Visibly tearing up) The fact that you can be born shirtless as the result of a RIGGED Economic system, yet can die a United States Senator and one of the wealthiest men in New York. Unfortunately I don’t believe that the dream that my grandfather lived is accessible to many Americans today, and that is precisely what this campaign aims to fix!

King: United States Senator Scott Westman, as always a wonderful guest, and a man who truly marches to the beat of his own drum in all aspects of life, including this presidential campaign. Senator, good luck to you, and we hope to have you on again soon!

Westman: Godspeed Larry!

King: Coming up next, we’re joined by Chicago Bulls superstar and NBA champion, Michael Jordan….

(Scene shifts to Senators Ted Kennedy and Matthew Donahue, in Donahue’s Senate Majority Leader Chambers)

Kennedy: What the Christ is he doing?!

Donahue: Honestly, I thought it was a good speech he gave.

Kennedy: I’m not talking about the speech. As many lies as there were! I’m talking about the f***ing event itself! What is he, a goddamn rockstar now?!

Donahue: If we know one thing about Scott, it’s that we have to let him do these types of things his way. Otherwise, we risk losing his participation in our plans.

Kennedy: I’m all for creativity on the campaign trail, but my God! It’s just that, if I didn’t know any better, I’d think he was…

Donahue: What? Him and Caroline? They’ll be alright. She told me last week that the counseling is doing wonders for them. I’ve talked to him as well.

Kennedy: Yes, I’m sure you have.

Donahue: Listen, Scott seems to actually want to be Vice President. It’s strange because I had my worries initially that he was only doing this as a favor to me, but he’s been talking about his plans for the Vice Presidency incessantly as of late. Without any prodding from me. Well, at least anything out of the ordinary from me, I should say. You really think he’s going to risk his viability as a running mate by provoking a messy divorce in an election year?

Kennedy: You know as well as I do that his and Caroline’s relationship is extremely volatile. Sure, everything might be just dandy at the moment, but a year from now? Lord knows that any number of travesties could occur.

Donahue: Suppose they do split next year in the midst of election season. Caroline is always busy writing, and Scott will be in the heat of campaign season bidding for the highest office in the land. No divorce is necessary, they can be separated without any explanation necessary. They’ll already be physically separated whether or not they want to be. Besides, we can always talk to Caroline to ensure that she keeps these matters out of the public eye for the time being.

Kennedy: There’s no guarantee of this, knowing my niece. If Scott pisses her off enough, there’s no telling what kind of damage she’ll unleash on him, his campaign, and everyone else involved.

Donahue: That would normally be true, but benefits can be guaranteed in the event of a Hardy/Westman victory. I know Caroline has always dreamed of having an exclusive line to the president, and it just so happens that Mr. Hardy may very well want an experienced ghostwriter for a biography in a couple of years. We all know that another Kennedy is destined to live in the White House.

Kennedy: Yes, I’m just afraid that the closest we’ll get is you!

Donahue: (Laughing) Oh c’mon Teddy, you know I’m far too polarizing a figure to ever get elected President!

Kennedy: I think you sell yourself short sometimes, kid. (Sipping on a glass of bourbon) You know, I’ve always trusted your judgement more than most. But are you really certain that Westman is the best choice for this task, given his past?

Donahue: You know when I first met Scott, I thought he was definitely unconventional, perhaps even a bit crazy. However, when it comes to effectiveness there’s no one better. Plus, the Republicans are so desperate to crawl up his ass that when he gives them a whiff they’ll be so distracted that we’ll be able to pass our legislative agenda without a hitch. Scott will distract them on the culture wars sh*t so much, that we’ll easily get our economic plan through on all counts.

Kennedy: I’m not going to dispute his ability to inspire debate, but what I do worry about is that we’ll lose the ability to prevent him from becoming a rogue agent at one point or another. For instance, if he deems the plan to be insufficiently leftist, he may just use his powers as President of the Senate to halt progress all together.

Donahue: The one thing you’re missing in your analysis is that Westman is above all a pragmatist, despite his often harsh rhetoric. I mean, for Christ’s sake, the guy was willing to compromise with Ronald F***ing Reagan. You don’t think he’ll be able to compromise a bit with his friends, who agree with him on 90% of the issues?

Kennedy: I worry that he’ll actually be less cooperative with his friends, because he believes that their ideas should be unwaveringly aligned with his.

Donahue: I think you’re overestimating how socialistic he is in nature. Sure, he believes strongly in universal health care and collective bargaining, but don’t we all? We’re the Democrats for God’s sake! If working people can’t count on us then they can’t count on f***ing anyone! I mean hell, he was just on TV shedding tears about his esteemed grandfather. A man who never met a dollar he didn’t like, but likewise never met a government program that he didn’t co-sponsor in the Senate. You of all men should understand that wealth doesn’t automatically equate to being opposed to the poor, or being opposed to government intervention on their behalf. I actually once remember you saying that Scott Westman reminded you of a young Edward Moore Kennedy.

Kennedy: He often does, I just pray, that for his sake, he doesn’t end up in similar straits as I did at the end of the Presidential campaign.

Donahue: (Looking deeply into his own reflection in his whiskey glass) That won’t happen on my watch…
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies