The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:36:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 171946 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: January 04, 2019, 11:00:36 AM »

Garcetti has been urged to resign as mayor if he runs for president, but he's "never taken the idea of quitting seriously":

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/01/la-mayor-eric-garcettis-plan-run-president/579301/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #851 on: January 04, 2019, 01:50:07 PM »

Booker announcement could come “within weeks”.  Most of the pieces are already in place, as his team has been “laying the groundwork for a potential campaign for months”.  However, a final decision hasn’t been made yet on who the campaign manager will be:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/cory-booker-2020-campaign-taking-shape/index.html

In other news, Merkley asked about 2020 at a town hall, but dodges:

https://lebanon-express.com/news/local/merkley-barnstorms-mid-valley/article_df1414d9-7611-5e8d-a320-2bc14942a2d6.html

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #852 on: January 04, 2019, 02:38:24 PM »

Beto supports a "Green New Deal."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #853 on: January 04, 2019, 03:07:57 PM »

Gillibrand reaching out to Wall Street to see if there’s support there for her likely presidential run:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/04/kirsten-gillibrand-reaches-out-to-wall-street-execs-about-potential-2020-run-for-president.html

Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #854 on: January 04, 2019, 03:21:21 PM »

Correction: A Beto spokesman was reported stating that the congressman is "supportive of the concept" of a Green New Deal - that is far from a pledge to fight for, much less endorse, the platform. Phrasing and word choice is important, folks.

For instance, I would be supportive of the concept of buying an electric car - but actually moving ahead with doing so is a different story.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #855 on: January 04, 2019, 06:02:26 PM »

Correction: A Beto spokesman was reported stating that the congressman is "supportive of the concept" of a Green New Deal - that is far from a pledge to fight for, much less endorse, the platform. Phrasing and word choice is important, folks.

For instance, I would be supportive of the concept of buying an electric car - but actually moving ahead with doing so is a different story.

Yes, this is different from Bernie working on an actual Green New Deal together with AOC.

Also Beto O'Rourke was not one of the 46 co-sponsors of the Off Fossil Fuels bill.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/3671/cosponsors
Joey1996

« Reply #856 on: January 04, 2019, 06:06:48 PM »

Gillibrand reaching out to Wall Street to see if there’s support there for her likely presidential run:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/04/kirsten-gillibrand-reaches-out-to-wall-street-execs-about-potential-2020-run-for-president.html

Smh
indietraveler

« Reply #857 on: January 04, 2019, 06:15:34 PM »

For what it's worth (probably not much), I just completed an extensive poll today for what was likely a Bloomberg internal.

It focused on my past primary decisions, what direction I think the Dems should take going forward, and who I would vote for in the caucus under several different scenarios. Also asked if I was more or less likely to support Bloomberg based on different statements.

The interesting part was who was listed as the choices for most of the questions (for the most part, write-ins weren't an option): Bernie, Joe, Elizabeth, Kamala, Beto, and of course, Michael.

This was an online poll.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #858 on: January 04, 2019, 06:16:07 PM »

I'm actually curious, aside from Sanders, is O'Rourke the only candidate on record for carbon pricing? I know Gillibrand supports Cap and Trade but **politically** the two do not mean the same thing.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #859 on: January 04, 2019, 06:17:53 PM »

I'm actually curious, aside from Sanders, is O'Rourke the only candidate on record for carbon pricing? I know Gillibrand supports Cap and Trade but **politically** the two do not mean the same thing.

Warren also supported the concept of a Green New Deal, without endorsing anything specific.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #860 on: January 04, 2019, 07:10:29 PM »

Deleted User #4049
MT2030
United States
« Reply #861 on: January 04, 2019, 07:14:28 PM »

What even is the appeal of this guy? Who are the people voting for him?
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #862 on: January 04, 2019, 08:40:14 PM »

itshappening.gif
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #863 on: January 04, 2019, 09:11:44 PM »

Wtf do these clowns like Buttigieg, Castro, McAuliffe and co. think their potential winning coalition is going to consist of

Buttgig is just doing this to boost his a national profile: growing name recognition and building establishment/donor connections for his next attempt at becoming DNC chairman and/or running for some statewide race in Indiana.

Castro is an ambitious empty suit who is egotistical enough to believe he's the "Hispanic Barack Obama", even though the people building that hype are morons with no idea what they're talking about

T-Mac is a popular former governer with a solid record. He will be brought up and discussed far more often than his candidacy would otherwise warrant due to probably 2/3 of the DC press corps living in his state; literally every Virginia governor since Chuck Robb has at some point been hyped up as "potential presidential candidate" and (at least) flirted with running for office. As a former DNC Chairman he also has literally all the insider connections, has major experience with previous Presidential campaigns so he knows firsthand what to do and/or not to do, and as a guy who has literally drank rum straight from the bottle on cable news his status as "candidate you'd have a drink with" is unparalleled. Lastly T-Mac is one of those "ruthless pragmatists" willing to get his hands dirty to win with the talent to cover it up well (I remain convinced that he spent election night 2014 personally stuffing ballot boxes in NOVA, toiling away for hours to ensure Mark Warner's reelection.)

tl;dr don't underestimate T-Mac, he's leagues above those also-rans and should be taken seriously
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #864 on: January 04, 2019, 09:20:05 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2019, 09:32:13 PM by Roll Roons »

Wtf do these clowns like Buttigieg, Castro, McAuliffe and co. think their potential winning coalition is going to consist of

Buttgig is just doing this to boost his a national profile: growing name recognition and building establishment/donor connections for his next attempt at becoming DNC chairman and/or running for some statewide race in Indiana.

Castro is an ambitious empty suit who is egotistical enough to believe he's the "Hispanic Barack Obama", even though the people building that hype are morons with no idea what they're talking about

T-Mac is a popular former governer with a solid record. He will be brought up and discussed far more often than his candidacy would otherwise warrant due to probably 2/3 of the DC press corps living in his state; literally every Virginia governor since Chuck Robb has at some point been hyped up as "potential presidential candidate" and (at least) flirted with running for office. As a former DNC Chairman he also has literally all the insider connections, has major experience with previous Presidential campaigns so he knows firsthand what to do and/or not to do, and as a guy who has literally drank rum straight from the bottle on cable news his status as "candidate you'd have a drink with" is unparalleled. Lastly T-Mac is one of those "ruthless pragmatists" willing to get his hands dirty to win with the talent to cover it up well (I remain convinced that he spent election night 2014 personally stuffing ballot boxes in NOVA, toiling away for hours to ensure Mark Warner's reelection.)

tl;dr don't underestimate T-Mac, he's leagues above those also-rans and should be taken seriously

Buttigieg probably won't be able to win a statewide race in Indiana. I see him getting a cabinet position (HUD or Transportation) in the next Democratic administration.

Also T-Mac would be a terrible nominee for the Democrats. As you pointed out, he's the ultimate DC insider in every way possible. Trump can just dust off the "Drain the Swamp" playbook and it will work just as well as it did against Hillary. He's even been under investigation for shady business dealings. Stunts like drinking rum on live TV just come off as pandering. Plus Bernie types will be completely turned off by him.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #865 on: January 05, 2019, 12:21:23 AM »

A lot of people who we thought were clear candidates are now not running (O'Malley, Cuomo, Patrick, Avenatti, but he was obviously under exceptional circumstances). Who else falls into the "has no shot and has been lying low recently" category?

- Eric Holder
- Eric Swalwell
- Tim Ryan, I think because Brown is exploring a run
- Eric Garcetti
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #866 on: January 05, 2019, 12:45:20 AM »

A lot of people who we thought were clear candidates are now not running (O'Malley, Cuomo, Patrick, Avenatti, but he was obviously under exceptional circumstances). Who else falls into the "has no shot and has been lying low recently" category?

- Eric Holder
- Eric Swalwell
- Tim Ryan, I think because Brown is exploring a run
- Eric Garcetti

Why are three of them called Eric lmao
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #867 on: January 05, 2019, 02:43:37 AM »

Buttigieg probably won't be able to win a statewide race in Indiana. I see him getting a cabinet position (HUD or Transportation) in the next Democratic administration.

Also T-Mac would be a terrible nominee for the Democrats. As you pointed out, he's the ultimate DC insider in every way possible. Trump can just dust off the "Drain the Swamp" playbook and it will work just as well as it did against Hillary. He's even been under investigation for shady business dealings. Stunts like drinking rum on live TV just come off as pandering. Plus Bernie types will be completely turned off by him.

You're right about Buttgig. I hadn't really considered it but "presidential campaign as an audition for the cabinet" has actually become pretty common lately.

I agree T-Mac would be a bad candidate on many levels, I'm just pointing out that if he's serious about running then he will be treated as a major candidate by the media and by "conventional wisdom", not reduced to the level of Buttgig (btw note that I'm not saying anything about how he'll actually perform in the primary, just saying how seriously his campaign will be treated. He could very well end up as the Jeb! of 2020)
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #868 on: January 05, 2019, 04:18:26 AM »

You're right about Buttgig. I hadn't really considered it but "presidential campaign as an audition for the cabinet" has actually become pretty common lately.

I agree T-Mac would be a bad candidate on many levels, I'm just pointing out that if he's serious about running then he will be treated as a major candidate by the media and by "conventional wisdom", not reduced to the level of Buttgig (btw note that I'm not saying anything about how he'll actually perform in the primary, just saying how seriously his campaign will be treated. He could very well end up as the Jeb! of 2020)

I think McAuliffe is at the bottom of the totem pole at least when it comes to old white dudes running. Inslee and Hickenlooper both have more impressive records than him, honestly T-Mac didn't really accomplish all that much as Gov thanks to the GOP, but still. What is he really going to run on besides restoring felon rights and vetoing a bunch of bills?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #869 on: January 05, 2019, 08:23:05 AM »

itshappening.gif

Please no DINOs.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #870 on: January 05, 2019, 11:32:29 AM »

I think some of this has already been mentioned here, but this story on small $ fundraising mentions Gillibrand's and Harris's efforts to build their national lists:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/05/2020-elections-small-donor-fundraising-democrats-actblue-1081892

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #871 on: January 06, 2019, 02:13:49 PM »

Booker headed to South Carolina on MLK Day (Jan. 21):

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/south-carolina/article223864720.html
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #872 on: January 06, 2019, 04:03:38 PM »

Sherrod Brown's wife Connie Schultz gives an update on his decision timeline ("within the next two months"):

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/06/politics/sherrod-brown-2020-presidential-election/index.html

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #873 on: January 06, 2019, 04:53:40 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #874 on: January 06, 2019, 06:16:58 PM »

Biden “leaning toward running” and “likely to decide within the next two weeks”:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/06/us/politics/joe-biden-2020-president.html

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies