The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:58:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 171942 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1950 on: March 15, 2019, 06:14:30 PM »

Bullock reiterates that while he might run for president, he has no interest in a run for Senate:

https://www.montanafreepress.org/mt-lowdown-podcast-gov-steve-bullock-looks-back-on-his-political-career-discusses-legislative-priorities-and-discusses-2020/

Bullock acknowledged that some in his party have urged him to challenge Daines, but he thinks there are other Democrats who could take that seat. Besides, he says, he doesn’t want that job.   

“I’ve expressed all along [that] I just don’t have an interest in running for U.S. Senate,” Bullock said. “I think that my skill set, and what I’ve done, I just wouldn’t enjoy it, so I’d ruled it out.”

Damn...Democrats really could have used another potential pickup opportunity.

And his odds in the Presidential primary are so bad that he'd have a much better chance of becoming Senator than President.

Exactly. That would have been a much better move for him and the Democratic Party as a whole. It also would have enabled a future run for President if he got elected.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1951 on: March 15, 2019, 10:10:46 PM »

de Blasio asked about 2020 at about the 12:45 mark here:

https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/de-blasio-nyc-would-have-worked-with-amazon-to-resolve-issues-1458682435699

and simply answers “I have not ruled it out.”

Also, there’s a new Tim Ryan profile here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/03/ohio-democrat-tim-ryan-might-run-president-2020/584782/
ibagli
United States

« Reply #1952 on: March 16, 2019, 07:21:54 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2019, 07:27:35 AM by ibagli »

Tim Ryan has almost run for governor, what, three times? So who can deny he has the experience needed to almost run for president?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1953 on: March 16, 2019, 10:52:52 AM »

Gillum was on Real Time with Bill Maher last night, and seemed to know the Iowa poll results pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssSecquxZ0U
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1954 on: March 16, 2019, 01:00:13 PM »

Tim Ryan has almost run for governor, what, three times? So who can deny he has the experience needed to almost run for president?

He has almost enough.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #1955 on: March 16, 2019, 05:43:33 PM »

Will Larry Hogan run or will Bill Weld be the only notable Republican (sort of) to primary Trump?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1956 on: March 16, 2019, 09:04:48 PM »

Moulton says he’ll decide on a presidential run in the next 4-6 weeks:

https://www.wmur.com/article/inslee-moulton-and-de-blasio-visit-nh/26845983

Biden:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-17/biden-makes-verbal-slip-as-he-almost-refers-himself-as-candidate?srnd=premium

Former Vice President Joe Biden made a verbal slip on Saturday and almost referred to himself as a presidential candidate as he edges toward entering the race for the 2020 Democratic nomination. 

“I have the most progressive record of anybody running,” he told a room full of family and friends gathered for a Delaware Democratic Party dinner, stopping himself just before he referred to what he might be running for. The home state crowd responded with cheers, and after a few seconds playing up the situation, he added, “anybody who would run.”
Biden suggested that if he runs, he’ll propose a “new corporate ethic.” He didn’t get into details but said “you’re going to hear a hell of a lot about it from me.”

Abrams talks 2020, including, again, the unusual decision flowchart she’s alluded to before, where she plans to first make a binary choice about running for Senate, then followed by deliberation about a presidential run:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/as-the-democratic-field-grows-stacey-abrams-weighs-a-presidential-race/2019/03/16/82a77ec8-475c-11e9-aaf8-4512a6fe3439_story.html

“I think that I am a skilled communicator,” she said. “I think I’m a very good thinker. No, I know I’m a good thinker. I know I have policy chops. I have foreign policy experience. . . . I’ve done a great deal of work on a number of issues. But I need to make certain that I am the best person at this moment for that job and that’s what I need to think about.”

Abrams says she is not an impulsive politician. She is methodical in her thinking and her analysis. Running for president has been in the back of her mind for many years, though not a race in 2020. Candidates for president don’t always get to pick their moment. Abrams’s gubernatorial race has provided an unexpected opportunity to consider a White House bid. But time is pressing in on her.
Abrams has been pushed hard by Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) and many of his colleagues to challenge incumbent Sen. David Perdue (R-Ga.) next year. If she isn’t going to do that, she knows she owes it to her party to make that known soon. She said she expects to decide about a Senate campaign by early April. If the answer to that is no, she will then turn immediately to the question of running for president.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1957 on: March 16, 2019, 09:06:12 PM »

Gillum was on Real Time with Bill Maher last night, and seemed to know the Iowa poll results pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssSecquxZ0U

I have a theory that the reason why so many random people are jumping in is because they think the more candidates that run, the higher their chances are of breaking out.
Harlow

« Reply #1958 on: March 16, 2019, 09:52:42 PM »

Biden:

“I have the most progressive record of anybody running,”

Ohhh, so he's going for the comedy tour angle.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1959 on: March 17, 2019, 10:49:57 AM »

de Blasio in NH:

https://nypost.com/2019/03/16/de-blasio-continues-to-tease-presidential-run-in-new-hampshire/

Mayor Bill de Blasio took his presidential tease tour to a new audience Saturday, coming to this key early presidential contest – but again refusing to answer the key question: When will he decide if the White House is a better fit than Gracie Mansion?

“Sooner rather than later,” de Blasio said, reiterating an answer he and First Lady Chirlane McCray have given repeatedly in recent days.

And no matter the way reporters phrased the question, de Blasio wouldn’t budge.

“Sooner rather than later,” he again reiterated.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1960 on: March 17, 2019, 09:10:02 PM »

lol no one even bothered to make fun of this
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1961 on: March 17, 2019, 09:52:29 PM »

There's a thread about it here:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=315753.0

And "What are Messam's chances in Iowa?" here:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=315790.0
GAProgressive
Rookie

« Reply #1962 on: March 18, 2019, 12:20:14 AM »

De Blasio speaking at AIPAC feels like it's building up to something.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1963 on: March 18, 2019, 09:57:43 AM »

New Hogan interview, in which he says he might not decide on 2020 until the fall:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/i-havent-abandoned-my-principles-hogan-pondering-challenge-to-trump-casts-himself-as-a-traditional-republican/2019/03/17/3862b274-48d3-11e9-9663-00ac73f49662_story.html

He said he remains undecided about a White House run and may hold off on deciding until the fall, waiting to see how investigations of Trump unfold and whether Republican voters eventually clamor for an alternative.

“The whole country is waiting for this to come out,” Hogan said, referring to the findings of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, who has been investigating Russian interference in the 2016 campaign and possible obstruction of justice, and is expected to finish his inquiry soon. But, the governor added, “don’t get the impression that I’m sitting here like this vulture waiting for some bad news.”

In the meantime, Hogan, a cancer survivor and gregarious pol, is chiseling his political persona into 2020 shape — and is taking steps to introduce himself to Republican voters nationally. He has accepted an invitation to speak next month in New Hampshire, home to the first-in-the-nation primary, and spent two days in early March in Iowa, the first caucus state.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1964 on: March 18, 2019, 07:02:55 PM »

The fall will be too late for Hogan. He's not big of enough of a national figure to make up the difference in time for NH. I suspect he's leaning against running. Sure, running a scampaign against a uniformly popular incumbent (among Republicans, I mean) could make him some money I guess, but he seems like he has bigger problems to worry about than money,
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1965 on: March 18, 2019, 11:56:24 PM »

Looks like Terry McAuliffe has an event in South Carolina tomorrow:

https://secure.ngpvan.com/4Wli09LOwEm2gV-P9Ep6XA2?midqs=PxjwZcvdyifjZh0-XV09Kw==

(As spotted by the Washington Examiner: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/terry-mcauliffe-to-travel-to-south-carolina-ahead-of-looming-2020-decision )
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1966 on: March 19, 2019, 10:22:36 AM »

Biden:

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-nation/2019/03/18/former-Vice-President-Joe-Biden-endorsements-message-2020-Democratic-race/stories/201903180154

As he prepares for a possible run, Mr. Biden has hunkered down for strategy sessions with a tight knit group of advisers and held meetings with top Democrats and elected officials. One subject of discussion has been the early selection of a running mate, which one aide said would help keep the focus of the primary fight on the ultimate goal of unseating Mr. Trump.

Last week, Mr. Biden stirred speculation as he met privately with Stacey Abrams, a Democratic rising star who ran for governor in Georgia last fall and is weighing another run for office -- potentially even the presidency. Mr. Biden requested the meeting, according to a person familiar with the sit-down, which comes as the two mull their own respective political futures. Ms. Abrams also huddled with a half-dozen other Democratic presidential hopefuls, but her meeting with Mr. Biden takes on added weight because of his attempts to shore up support among black leaders amid lingering questions about his treatment of Anita Hill during the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings and his support for a sweeping crime bill two decades ago.

Mr. Biden's team has started gaming out scenarios for what a campaign launch could look like with Wilmington, Delaware, and Scranton, Pennsylvania, where Mr. Biden was born, among several potential locations floated for an announcement rally, a source with knowledge of the discussions said. While the rest of the Democratic field settles into place, Mr. Biden's allies say the former vice president is keenly aware of the attention any announcement will draw.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1967 on: March 19, 2019, 11:24:53 AM »

Biden:

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-nation/2019/03/18/former-Vice-President-Joe-Biden-endorsements-message-2020-Democratic-race/stories/201903180154

As he prepares for a possible run, Mr. Biden has hunkered down for strategy sessions with a tight knit group of advisers and held meetings with top Democrats and elected officials. One subject of discussion has been the early selection of a running mate, which one aide said would help keep the focus of the primary fight on the ultimate goal of unseating Mr. Trump.

Last week, Mr. Biden stirred speculation as he met privately with Stacey Abrams, a Democratic rising star who ran for governor in Georgia last fall and is weighing another run for office -- potentially even the presidency. Mr. Biden requested the meeting, according to a person familiar with the sit-down, which comes as the two mull their own respective political futures. Ms. Abrams also huddled with a half-dozen other Democratic presidential hopefuls, but her meeting with Mr. Biden takes on added weight because of his attempts to shore up support among black leaders amid lingering questions about his treatment of Anita Hill during the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings and his support for a sweeping crime bill two decades ago.

Mr. Biden's team has started gaming out scenarios for what a campaign launch could look like with Wilmington, Delaware, and Scranton, Pennsylvania, where Mr. Biden was born, among several potential locations floated for an announcement rally, a source with knowledge of the discussions said. While the rest of the Democratic field settles into place, Mr. Biden's allies say the former vice president is keenly aware of the attention any announcement will draw.

Is he just trying to preempt the field and act like he’s already won?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1968 on: March 19, 2019, 02:18:56 PM »

Anything new on Gillum?
Harlow

« Reply #1969 on: March 19, 2019, 02:24:45 PM »

Announcement coming tomorrow.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-ne-nsf-andrew-gillum-tease-20190319-story.html

After a surprise primary election victory, the former Tallahassee mayor had hoped to make Florida history by becoming the state’s first black governor. DeSantis dashed those dreams, but the campaign skyrocketed Gillum onto the national stage.

Despite the loss, Gillum’s been rumored to be considering a run for president in an already-crowded Democratic field.

Will that be the “major announcement” coming Wednesday in Miami, or will Gillum throw his support behind one of the other contenders?
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1970 on: March 19, 2019, 02:58:04 PM »

Announcement coming tomorrow.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-ne-nsf-andrew-gillum-tease-20190319-story.html

After a surprise primary election victory, the former Tallahassee mayor had hoped to make Florida history by becoming the state’s first black governor. DeSantis dashed those dreams, but the campaign skyrocketed Gillum onto the national stage.

Despite the loss, Gillum’s been rumored to be considering a run for president in an already-crowded Democratic field.

Will that be the “major announcement” coming Wednesday in Miami, or will Gillum throw his support behind one of the other contenders?

He’s gonna primary Shalala.

Source: My *ss, but I think it would be funny
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #1971 on: March 19, 2019, 04:55:28 PM »

Is Richard Vague still running?
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #1972 on: March 19, 2019, 05:16:11 PM »

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1973 on: March 19, 2019, 05:51:41 PM »

Biden should really either announce or get out of the way, him holding his decision is getting old really fast.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1974 on: March 19, 2019, 08:16:10 PM »

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/joe-biden-tells-backers-he-plans-on-2020-presidential-run-2019-03-19

Former Vice President Joe Biden reached out to at least a half-dozen supporters Tuesday to tell them he intends to run for president and to ask for their help in lining up contributions from major donors so he can quickly raise several million dollars, said a person familiar with the matter.

Biden has expressed concern to these people that he wouldn’t be able to raise millions of dollars in online donations immediately the way some other Democratic candidates have, including former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, this person said. O’Rourke raised $6.1 million in the 24 hours after his announcement, while Sanders collected $5.9 million in the same period.

Biden wants to announce a large fundraising number after his candidacy is official to better compete in what is often dubbed the “money primary” that kicks off a presidential season.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies