ND - Cramer +12 (FOX) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:52:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Senatorial Election Polls
  ND - Cramer +12 (FOX) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ND - Cramer +12 (FOX)  (Read 11162 times)
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« on: October 03, 2018, 05:13:03 PM »

Lean R at this point, despite ND polls being difficult, at some point you have to give weight to the fact that every single poll has Cramer up, and now sometimes by double digits.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 07:10:09 PM »

Fox is a good, high quality pollster. Their editorial stance does not come into these polls - it is not like Rasmussen or Gravis or something.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 07:13:14 PM »

I remember when MT was a "difficult state to poll". Apparently it no longer is, because no one ever makes that point in the threads discussing polls showing Tester ahead.

MT does at least have voter registration. ND is a uniquely difficult state to poll, but that does not mean that multiple polls having Heitkamp down by double digits, including Fox (a very good pollster, usually) is in any way good news for Heitkamp. ND is a very deep red state, and there is a general tendency for deep red states to break Republican (and for deep red states to break Democratic). To some extent that may vary in a good year for one side or another, but there are limits to what is possible, and by even being competitive in the first place, Heitkamp is straining them.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 08:06:04 PM »

Tester has got to be nervous right now with rural trends.

It seems that rural Democrats have mainly recovered in the upper Midwest. But once you leave those borders it gets ugly.

Not saying ND is anything like Montana but Heitkamp's position has only gotten worse.

Montana is actually not that much of a "rural" state, and that is part of the reason why Dems do comparatively well there.

Montana is substantially less "rural" than North Dakota. By that, I mean that the land use in MT is much more oriented towards ranching as opposed to farming (which takes up a greater amount of land with less population, so although ranchers are heavily Republican, you don't get many votes from them), and also a large part of Montana (particularly in the west of MT, which is the more Dem part) is simply uninhabited mountainous wilderness. Montana also has more small cities such as Missoula, Billings, Bozeman, etc than does North Dakota.

This is similarly why Democrats do comparatively well in other states in the Mountain west. Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, etc all have large landmasses, but they are not "rural" in the same sense that, say Nebraska or Missouri outside of St. Louis and KC are rural. That is true to a lesser extent of Montana than of those states, but it still quite significantly differentiates Montana from states and areas that are "rural" further east.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies