NJ-Stockton: Menendez +2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:46:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Senatorial Election Polls
  NJ-Stockton: Menendez +2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: NJ-Stockton: Menendez +2  (Read 4177 times)
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 12:01:51 PM »

Seriously, if the electorate is over 80% white like Stockton is suggesting, Menendez might lose. However, the electorate in a democrat leaning midterm  is probably going to be under 70% white. I know we shouldn't unskew, but it frustrates me that Harry Enten and Nate Silver wont even point out the huge flaws in this poll.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2018, 12:02:09 PM »

A few brighter spots for Menendez, the poll is only 8% black, but NJ electorate is around 14% black, and asians are less than 1% of the poll, but are over 8% of NJ and a little under that in the electorate. Menendez is probably leading by 5-6.

Stockton obviously has problems that make this poll favor Hugin, but I wouldn't assume Asian voters are going to go for Menendez in any big way. I think he'll be under 60% with them.

The real problem is the undersampling of Hispanics and black voters.

A few brighter spots for Menendez, the poll is only 8% black, but NJ electorate is around 14% black, and asians are less than 1% of the poll, but are over 8% of NJ and a little under that in the electorate. Menendez is probably leading by 5-6.
According to exit polls from past off-year elections in NJ, African-American's have been about 10% of the electorate (looking back at 2006 and 2017), and not 14% which is the presidential level. Same thing for Asians, they have consistently been about 3% of the electorate in past off-year elections, so this poll isn't that far off. But who knows, that could all change.

2017 had record low turnout which 2018 wont have and 2006 was 12 years ago and the state has gotten a lot less white since then.

It has also gotten a lot less non-Hispanic black since 2006. Population growth in NJ is almost entirely driven by Hispanic and especially (South) Asian populations.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2018, 12:14:12 PM »

Stockton obviously has problems that make this poll favor Hugin, but I wouldn't assume Asian voters are going to go for Menendez in any big way. I think he'll be under 60% with them.

The real problem is the undersampling of Hispanics and black voters.

According to exit polls from past off-year elections in NJ, African-American's have been about 10% of the electorate (looking back at 2006 and 2017), and not 14% which is the presidential level. Same thing for Asians, they have consistently been about 3% of the electorate in past off-year elections, so this poll isn't that far off. But who knows, that could all change.

2017 had record low turnout which 2018 wont have and 2006 was 12 years ago and the state has gotten a lot less white since then.

It has also gotten a lot less non-Hispanic black since 2006. Population growth in NJ is almost entirely driven by Hispanic and especially (South) Asian populations.

Fun fact, NJ would be facing a small but significant population decline if it were not for non-whites moving and having families there.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2018, 12:16:44 PM »

Safe D, Menendez will win no matter what (and would have won even in a Clinton midterm, lol) since he has that magical (D) next to his name. I don’t actually blame any Democrat for voting for him, but it’s sad that this scumbag made it out of the primary.

lol no
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 12:19:50 PM »

Ouch. That's embarrassing.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2018, 12:21:47 PM »

Safe D, Menendez will win no matter what (and would have won even in a Clinton midterm, lol) since he has that magical (D) next to his name. I don’t actually blame any Democrat for voting for him, but it’s sad that this scumbag made it out of the primary.

lol no

Zero chance NJ is sending a Republican, no matter how moderate they are, to the Senate. Zero reason to believe that Clinton would have been unpopular in NJ of all places. MT, ND, IN, MO, OH, WV, etc.? Sure.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2018, 12:22:15 PM »

More for Stockton than Menendez.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2018, 12:22:18 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hugin pull it off at all. Time to add this race to the list of battlegrounds.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2018, 12:25:37 PM »

The poll specifically says 4% Hispanic and 8% black pre-weighting. Did they only weight by likelihood or did they also presumably weight by race?
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2018, 12:26:23 PM »

lol no

Zero chance NJ is sending a Republican, no matter how moderate they are, to the Senate. Zero reason to believe that Clinton would have been unpopular in NJ of all places. MT, ND, IN, MO, OH, WV, etc.? Sure.
If Trump's unpopularity in NJ isn't dragging Hugin down, I fail to see how Clinton's popularity would.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2018, 12:26:43 PM »

Menendez is an embarrassment for the Democratic party but he will prevail for the same reasons Pat Roberts did four years ago.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2018, 12:27:47 PM »

The poll specifically says 4% Hispanic and 8% black pre-weighting. Did they only weight by likelihood or did they also presumably weight by race?

I'm not sure how accurately you can weigh 24 people tbh. 
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2018, 12:28:47 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Beyond candidate quality, it's striking how terrible the Menendez campaign is as an operation. This is probably partly a product of Menendez's own flaws, though. What credible operative would want to work for this scumbag?
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2018, 12:30:30 PM »

I think the final result will be something like Menendez +6
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2018, 12:32:42 PM »

lol no

IL 2010, DE 2010 if Republicans didnt nomiante O'Donnell

Tom Kean would be the next senator
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2018, 12:33:24 PM »

I'm not sure how accurately you can weigh 24 people tbh. 

Not very. Wish we had actual crosstabs so we could see if there were any counter-intuitive results. I don't really have a problem with it if they found Menendez gets 90% of the black vote and 75% of the Hispanic vote or something similar, and then weighted that. It might not be a accurate picture of the race, but at least we'd know it's not an overestimate of Hugin's real support.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2018, 12:33:55 PM »

I think the final result will be something like Menendez +6

Yeah somewhere between Menendez by 4-6 seems reasonable to me
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2018, 12:43:38 PM »

Blue states have gotten much more polarized since then. Even in 2014, the GOP did terribly in states far less Democratic than NJ (MI/MN/etc.). IL-SEN 2010 and MA-SEN 2010 were outliers, not the norm.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2018, 12:46:25 PM »

Blue states have gotten much more polarized since then. Even in 2014, the GOP did terribly in states far less Democratic than NJ (MI/MN/etc.). IL-SEN 2010 and MA-SEN 2010 were outliers, not the norm.

Franken was pretty popular in 2014 while Menendez is pretty unpopular
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »

Beyond candidate quality, it's striking how terrible the Menendez campaign is as an operation. This is probably partly a product of Menendez's own flaws, though. What credible operative would want to work for this scumbag?

New Jersey has very unusual politics. Unlike with Democrats who have lost in New Jersey, like Corzine, who was abandoned by the county machines in favor of Christie, Menendez has the full backing of the county machines, so there's a lot of operatives out there working in his favor.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »

Yeah, no.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2018, 04:37:02 PM »

This race is gonna be close.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2018, 04:43:47 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2018, 04:57:44 PM by yeah_93 »

I'm personally waiting for Monmouth and Quinnipiac to poll this race again. I have it as Lean D for now.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2018, 04:45:23 PM »

I'm personally waiting for Monmouth and Quinnipiac to poll this race again. I have it as Lean R for now.

"Lean R"

No.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2018, 04:58:32 PM »

I'm personally waiting for Monmouth and Quinnipiac to poll this race again. I have it as Lean R for now.

"Lean R"

No.

As Lean D, SORRY, it was a mistake.

I don't want to be a laughing stock  Cry
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies