The BlueSwan Basement of Absurd & Ignorant Posts VIII
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:49:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The BlueSwan Basement of Absurd & Ignorant Posts VIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74
Author Topic: The BlueSwan Basement of Absurd & Ignorant Posts VIII  (Read 169856 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1700 on: April 20, 2020, 05:54:41 PM »

Clicked no without even having to watch the ad.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1701 on: April 20, 2020, 06:28:44 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2020, 06:33:21 PM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

i guess it's getting more clear to everybody now that coronavirus was just fake news, and the gov used it as an excuse to perform this little police state experiment and see how much power they could take.

idk how many of you guys were also forced to read "A Separate Peace" in high school. In that book, the Finny guy is convinced that the Great Depression and WWII were just cooked up to prevent people from enjoying good times. It's the same thing with the COVID garbage.

So many people I've talked to have mentioned how they never felt like they were finally closer to getting their lives together than they were before all this started. I'll admit I felt similarly. Things were getting too good for too many people, and the deep state had to go and ruin us in an effort to turn us all communist and authoritarian.

Can't have things getting too good for people or else people will start to realize things, I guess. Gotta keep the sheeple brainwashed.

I think this belongs here.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1702 on: April 20, 2020, 07:16:55 PM »

i guess it's getting more clear to everybody now that coronavirus was just fake news, and the gov used it as an excuse to perform this little police state experiment and see how much power they could take.

idk how many of you guys were also forced to read "A Separate Peace" in high school. In that book, the Finny guy is convinced that the Great Depression and WWII were just cooked up to prevent people from enjoying good times. It's the same thing with the COVID garbage.

So many people I've talked to have mentioned how they never felt like they were finally closer to getting their lives together than they were before all this started. I'll admit I felt similarly. Things were getting too good for too many people, and the deep state had to go and ruin us in an effort to turn us all communist and authoritarian.

Can't have things getting too good for people or else people will start to realize things, I guess. Gotta keep the sheeple brainwashed.

I think this belongs here.
nah bro that’s just his persona man
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1703 on: April 21, 2020, 03:29:56 PM »

I feel sorry for the SN guy. He probably just doesn’t get why people want him banned. He represents a set of conservatives who are hackish, not all of course.

I don't think this user has read many SN posts, at all. SN isn't even a hack, at this point, he's a full blown troll.
blueandred
Rookie

« Reply #1704 on: April 21, 2020, 07:37:39 PM »

I feel sorry for the SN guy. He probably just doesn’t get why people want him banned. He represents a set of conservatives who are hackish, not all of course.

I don't think this user has read many SN posts, at all. SN isn't even a hack, at this point, he's a full blown troll.

Take a chill pill buddy
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1705 on: April 21, 2020, 07:54:37 PM »

Take a chill pill buddy

Whenever a poster makes bad posts they get posted here, I've had posts posted here, as well.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1706 on: April 22, 2020, 08:13:29 AM »

Hot take here but I think it will be more than 20 points difference between Indiana and Missouri. Holcomb will probably outrun Trump by a substantial margin while Parson will probably lose.
blueandred
Rookie

« Reply #1707 on: April 22, 2020, 05:23:29 PM »

The truly absurd part of that post is that Phineas was never portrayed as a role model in the book. He was so self-centered that he thought his vacation was important than World War II, and he claimed that rationing of gasoline was part of a plan by adults to ruin summer break.

Actually, in retrospect, that book seems even more relevant now than it was at the time. Adults are literally acting like a parody of a kid from the 1940s.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1708 on: April 22, 2020, 08:25:35 PM »

Democrats could win South Dakota, Alaska, and South Carolina. Republicans can’t win Illinois, Maryland, or New Jersey.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #1709 on: April 25, 2020, 07:09:04 AM »

I am option 5 [250k-500k USD annual household income] but it doesn't get our family very far in NoVA.

[non-absurdity]

I never said we live paycheck to paycheck. We don't. But we don't have the classic hallmarks of wealth. We have one car, our house is small and was bought in the 90s for not a lot of money but has sextupled in price since. To be clear, I've had the privilege of never experiencing money issues, and if there was something I really wanted my parents would pay for it. But we're not stereotypically rich and I attribute that to the high cost-of-living where I live.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #1710 on: April 25, 2020, 06:11:23 PM »

I am option 5 [250k-500k USD annual household income] but it doesn't get our family very far in NoVA.

[non-absurdity]

I never said we live paycheck to paycheck. We don't. But we don't have the classic hallmarks of wealth. We have one car, our house is small and was bought in the 90s for not a lot of money but has sextupled in price since. To be clear, I've had the privilege of never experiencing money issues, and if there was something I really wanted my parents would pay for it. But we're not stereotypically rich and I attribute that to the high cost-of-living where I live.

Arlington, VA is #8 on the list of 20 most expensive US cities to live in.

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/real-estate/T006-S001-most-expensive-u-s-cities-to-live-in-2019/index.html

Not quite sure why Atlas is so resistant to believe a high cost-of-living can alter how far money goes.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1711 on: April 25, 2020, 06:25:37 PM »

[non-absurdity]

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/real-estate/T006-S001-most-expensive-u-s-cities-to-live-in-2019/index.html

Not quite sure why Atlas is so resistant to believe a high cost-of-living can alter how far money goes.

The point is that what you view as not such a glamorous life is still massively out of touch with the average person. (I admit I struggle with this myself) Most people's lives suck. Being able to go to Whole Foods without worrying about the bill, regularly going out for dinner and drinks at decent places, being able to travel to visit a friend or family if you need to - these are relatively mundane, but out of the reach of most people.

We live in a culture where flaunting privilege is accepted, and even applauded, but at least try to have some self-awareness of your station in life.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1712 on: April 25, 2020, 06:33:25 PM »

[non-absurdity]

The point is that what you view as not such a glamorous life is still massively out of touch with the average person. (I admit I struggle with this myself) Most people's lives suck. Being able to go to Whole Foods without worrying about the bill, regularly going out for dinner and drinks at decent places, being able to travel to visit a friend or family if you need to - these are relatively mundane, but out of the reach of most people.

We live in a culture where flaunting privilege is accepted, and even applauded, but at least try to have some self-awareness of your station in life.

I do have self-awareness. I literally said, "I've had the privilege of never experiencing money issues".

I guess it's frustrating to be portrayed as an out-of-touch ignoramus for simply suggesting that my family's income doesn't go as far as some might think because of cost-of-living. Because that's all that I was saying.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1713 on: April 25, 2020, 07:16:49 PM »

[non-absurdity]

I do have self-awareness. I literally said, "I've had the privilege of never experiencing money issues".

I guess it's frustrating to be portrayed as an out-of-touch ignoramus for simply suggesting that my family's income doesn't go as far as some might think because of cost-of-living. Because that's all that I was saying.

“Not going as far as some people think” is much different than what you originally wrote
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1714 on: April 25, 2020, 07:19:45 PM »

[non-absurdity]

“Not going as far as some people think” is much different than what you originally wrote

How?
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1715 on: April 25, 2020, 07:24:38 PM »

You said it doesn’t get your family very far. That’s very different from what people’s perception of that kind of wealth is.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1716 on: April 25, 2020, 07:27:27 PM »

This whole thread goes into absurdity when computer and another  RINO pretend like white southern Democrats in the 1900’s were lefties and Vermont Republicans in power were normal conservatives like today

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=368864.0
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1717 on: April 25, 2020, 07:29:33 PM »

This whole thread goes into absurdity when computer and another  RINO pretend like white southern Democrats in the 1900’s were lefties and Vermont Republicans in power were normal conservatives like today

bruh, what? do you seriously not realize that Vermont of 2020 is very, very different from where it was in 1920?
Don't tell me you believe in the 'PARTIES SWITCHED PLATFORMS' myth.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1718 on: April 25, 2020, 07:36:22 PM »

This whole thread goes into absurdity when computer and another  RINO pretend like white southern Democrats in the 1900’s were lefties and Vermont Republicans in power were normal conservatives like today

bruh, what? do you seriously not realize that Vermont of 2020 is very, very different from where it was in 1920?

I believe that people changed their parties en mass, not their views, BRO
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1719 on: April 25, 2020, 07:37:22 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2020, 07:42:07 PM by LimoLiberal »

You said it doesn’t get your family very far. That’s very different from what people’s perception of that kind of wealth is.

I think you're misinterpreting what I mean by "very far". I don't mean that the money my family makes is equivalent to what the average American brings in. By "very far" all I mean is that we aren't in that upper level of society that people associate with wealth. We don't have the trademark symbols of money ingrained into the American consciousness. Fancy cars, big houses, lavish vacations, cool gadgets, pools, designer clothes. And that is partly a result of where we live diluting the reach of our income. And you can say that the cost-of-living penalty is recouped by the societal benefits of living in one area versus another, but I would call most of you hypocrites because I've seen multiple threads calling Northern Virginia the most soulless and sad place on Earth, which I would mostly agree with.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1720 on: April 25, 2020, 10:40:21 PM »

How are there Christians who believe this?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1721 on: April 26, 2020, 12:56:27 AM »

I apologize for being harsh in previous postings. I'll try and remain above the pettiness of negative things when posting.

You have nothing to apologize for.

Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #1722 on: April 26, 2020, 06:23:43 AM »

By "very far" all I mean is that we aren't in that upper level of society that people associate with wealth.

You are so, so close to getting the point. I'm gonna go out on a pretty secure limb and say you could afford pretty much any one of those symbols you keep rattling off in some version with a fairly straightforward shift in liquidity -- maybe not all of them, maybe not the highest-quality version in every instance, maybe not three or four of them at once, but you can not tell me that you absolutely could never find room for designer clothing if you ever tried and that every penny of yours is going to the bare essentials. You keep talking about, like, luxurious vacations; do you realize that for the wide majority of the human population, the idea of a vacation is itself a serious luxury?

Not only that, but nobody cares what symbols "people associate" with some ritzy-ass 1980s fever dream of "wealth" that only exists to put some psychological guilt-distance between yourself and the actual bad guys at the top. It's a distance that's real, don't get me wrong, but these "symbols of money," "engrained into the American consciousness" though they may be, exist solely because people make stupid decisions with their money and others think it's cool. Being rich is not about having a lot of fancy things, and it's not about being part of high society.

I'm from Baltimore. I spend a good deal of time in DC and NoVA, and I also can use Google, so I can tell you that I just looked it up and $350k in NoVA is worth about $260k in Baltimore, which is just such an incomprehensibly big difference that none of us could have possibly imagined. NoVA is an expensive place and the reason you are able to live there is because you are richer than you think. $250k/year is still a lot of money, anywhere. In fifteen years or so that may change.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1723 on: April 26, 2020, 11:06:34 AM »

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mortality
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1724 on: April 26, 2020, 11:48:15 AM »

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mortality

Yes, I’m not retarded, thanks. Obviously generational turnover played a role. But go ahead pretending that these people’s descendants’ views differed hugely from their views if you want to play revisionism
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies