Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 01:35:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 72
Author Topic: Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer  (Read 90586 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: November 30, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »

How long is the current in-person early voting period for Wisconsin? Is it different per county? What is being proposed here isn't really that bad, but it still speaks to the problem of the GOP changing the rules every time they feel their power is threatened.

I really think we need to start increasing the vote requirements for lame duck sessions. Require 2/3 majority to pass things until the new legislature is seated, or seat new members immediately.

Even with these shenanigans aside, it really doesn't make sense to give lawmakers who are on their way out so much power. They have no incentive to act in the people's interest, and they frequently prove that.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1226 on: November 30, 2018, 02:56:03 PM »

How long is the current in-person early voting period for Wisconsin? Is it different per county?

I really think we need to start increasing the vote requirements for lame duck sessions. Require 2/3 majority to pass things until the new legislature is seated, or seat new members immediately. What is being proposed here isn't really that bad, but it still speaks to the problem of the GOP changing the rules every time they feel their power is threatened.

Even with these shenanigans aside, it really doesn't make sense to give lawmakers who are on their way out so much power. They have no incentive to act in the people's interest, and they frequently prove that.

Funny enough, Florida actually does this the right way in that there is no lame duck period for the legislature.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1227 on: November 30, 2018, 05:38:23 PM »

Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #1228 on: November 30, 2018, 06:28:09 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2018, 06:47:43 PM by No More Scottholes »

How long is the current in-person early voting period for Wisconsin? Is it different per county?

I really think we need to start increasing the vote requirements for lame duck sessions. Require 2/3 majority to pass things until the new legislature is seated, or seat new members immediately. What is being proposed here isn't really that bad, but it still speaks to the problem of the GOP changing the rules every time they feel their power is threatened.

Funny enough, Florida actually does this the right way in that there is no lame duck period for the legislature.

Walker is the worst thing to ever happen to this state. We know he won't fade into obscurity - he's a career politician (and a very corrupt one). He and Trump continue to reaffirm my essential belief about the GOP. My friends, coworkers, and I are talking about protesting at the State Capitol. It's on, Vos and Walker! And hopefully our voices won't be ignored like they were in 2011.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1229 on: November 30, 2018, 10:41:37 PM »

I really think we need to start increasing the vote requirements for lame duck sessions. Require 2/3 majority to pass things until the new legislature is seated, or seat new members immediately.

Lame duck sessions shouldn't exist. They're inherently undemocratic. There's no reason why elected officials can't be sworn in the day after results are certified.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1230 on: November 30, 2018, 10:42:17 PM »

Pretty sure that would be unconstitutional.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1231 on: November 30, 2018, 11:03:26 PM »

The Wisconsin GOP really needs some time in the opposition for their own good. I do think the state's demographic trends favor the GOP in the long run, but that won't help them win much if they aren't serving the public and, uh, actually trying to win people over.

Also Walker needs a break from things.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #1232 on: December 01, 2018, 11:57:18 AM »

The Wisconsin GOP really needs some time in the opposition for their own good. I do think the state's demographic trends favor the GOP in the long run, but that won't help them win much if they aren't serving the public and, uh, actually trying to win people over.

Just like Pat McCrory here in NC, he needs to go away.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #1233 on: December 01, 2018, 04:55:38 PM »

Wisconsin Republicans are making sure they win the 2020 presidential election and other future statewide elections through suppressing votes because they know in-person absentee voting favors Democrats. This state just continues to be a disappointment. I won't be surprised if Trump carries it again in 2020 due to this.

Wiz in Wis

« Reply #1234 on: December 01, 2018, 07:57:55 PM »

I'm going to disagree with you that "the long term trends look good for the GOP" in Wisconsin.

in 2018:

-Evers won 18-29s 60-37
-Baldwin won 18-29s 64-35
-Evers won 30-44s 56-42
-Baldwin won 30-44s 58-41
-Evers "trended" best (i.e. overperformed) in the most populous counties, including WOW.
-Evers carried Dane County, the largest growing county in WI,
-The counties that trended to Walker are losing population
-Scott Walker won more votes than any GOP governor's candidate in history, including his own previous records, and still lost.

While he wasn't destroyed, he presided over an unemployment rate under 3%, and had an even approval rating, and Trumps approval rating in this exit poll was 47%.

Given the GOP's weakness among college educated whites and young people, I have a hard time seeing the state moving more GOP in a systemic way... maybe from year to year, but it's not shifting like Ohio/Iowa has been.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1235 on: December 01, 2018, 08:01:57 PM »

I don't think shortening early voting to two weeks or even moving the primary is going to help them much. They probably think it will, but it won't.  Lower-turnout elections benefit Democrats so long as Trump is in office and pissing people off, and two weeks of early voting is actually still a lot, even if notably shorter compared to what some counties offer right now.

What would really make a difference is ending same-day registration. I'm glad they haven't done that yet (although it has been considered). If they try and take away Evers' ability to veto rigged maps in 2021, that could be a big problem. We'd just have to hope the supreme court rules it unconstitutional, because if not, rip, potential Democratic majorities - indefinitely.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #1236 on: December 01, 2018, 11:11:59 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2018, 11:16:52 PM by No More Scottholes »

I don't think shortening early voting to two weeks or even moving the primary is going to help them much. They probably think it will, but it won't.  Lower-turnout elections benefit Democrats so long as Trump is in office and pissing people off, and two weeks of early voting is actually still a lot, even if notably shorter compared to what some counties offer right now.

What would really make a difference is ending same-day registration. I'm glad they haven't done that yet (although it has been considered). If they try and take away Evers' ability to veto rigged maps in 2021, that could be a big problem. We'd just have to hope the supreme court rules it unconstitutional, because if not, rip, potential Democratic majorities - indefinitely.

Good to know. It's a good thing WI Dems are fighting back and a powerful Democratic attorney may be filing a lawsuit against Wisconsin Republicans if a limit on early voting is proposed during the upcoming lame-duck session.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/01/lawsuit-looms-over-proposed-limit-early-voting-wisconsin/2174110002/

I'm going to disagree with you that "the long term trends look good for the GOP" in Wisconsin.

in 2018:

-Evers won 18-29s 60-37
-Baldwin won 18-29s 64-35
-Evers won 30-44s 56-42
-Baldwin won 30-44s 58-41
-Evers "trended" best (i.e. overperformed) in the most populous counties, including WOW.
-Evers carried Dane County, the largest growing county in WI,
-The counties that trended to Walker are losing population
-Scott Walker won more votes than any GOP governor's candidate in history, including his own previous records, and still lost.

While he wasn't destroyed, he presided over an unemployment rate under 3%, and had an even approval rating, and Trumps approval rating in this exit poll was 47%.

Given the GOP's weakness among college educated whites and young people, I have a hard time seeing the state moving more GOP in a systemic way... maybe from year to year, but it's not shifting like Ohio/Iowa has been.

There is a good new Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article on the voting trends in Wisconsin: https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/blogs/wisconsin-voter/2018/11/30/wisconsin-undergoes-political-shifts-while-somehow-staying-purple/2160683002/
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #1237 on: December 03, 2018, 01:32:57 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2018, 01:37:18 AM by No More Scottholes »

Just thought I'd share this email. Stephen Nass is an a-hole! So ashamed to have such a terrible, corrupt representative!

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1238 on: December 03, 2018, 01:51:21 AM »

You should ask him if the people elected him and Republicans to rig elections and then deny doing so by playing on the ignorance of voters to the nuances of district map-making. That is the real crime of the century here. A whole decade of elections lost, and majorities that would be ruled by any sane court unconstitutional. No honest politician can deny what they have done is morally and ethically reprehensible, and corrupt at its core.

The idea of stripping power from an incoming governor of the opposition is really frustrating, but in this case, it's mostly the principle of the thing. What has been proposed so far isn't too bad afaik. It could have been much worse. But it is certainly worse than whatever labor contract stuff Democrats did in 2010.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1239 on: December 03, 2018, 02:03:11 AM »

The idea of stripping power from an incoming governor of the opposition is really frustrating, but in this case, it's mostly the principle of the thing. What has been proposed so far isn't too bad afaik. It could have been much worse. But it is certainly worse than whatever labor contract stuff Democrats did in 2010.

That's the odd thing. If they'd just proposed all this stuff without making a big show about how they're going to strip power from the legislature, etc., they wouldn't have all that much backlash.

There was also no reason to wait until now to move the presidential primary to March. Had they done that a year ago, nobody would have batted an eye.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1240 on: December 03, 2018, 09:20:15 AM »

That's the odd thing. If they'd just proposed all this stuff without making a big show about how they're going to strip power from the legislature, etc., they wouldn't have all that much backlash.

There was also no reason to wait until now to move the presidential primary to March. Had they done that a year ago, nobody would have batted an eye.

I guess it just goes to show how confident they were that Walker would win a third term. I guess when you win a one-off Presidential race, have a Senate incumbent win, and are winning crazy majorities due to gerrymandered districts, they figured demographics were destiny and that they were invincible.

Either that or they recognize that no matter what they do, as soon as the issue becomes politicized the majority of their (R) voters would back them up no matter what.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #1241 on: December 03, 2018, 12:07:17 PM »

According to Jay Schroeder, the Republican who lost the Secretary of State race, a "State Electoral College" is on the cards, too, because Madison and Milwaukee "voted" for the rest of the state this time. It's on his Facebook page. The WI GOP is truly a broken record - I think we have the most corrupt and greedy GOP establishment.

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #1242 on: December 03, 2018, 12:09:52 PM »

According to Jay Schroeder, the Republican who lost the Secretary of State race, a "State Electoral College" is on the cards, too, because Madison and Milwaukee "voted" for the rest of the state this time. It's on his Facebook page.

That screams completely unconstitutional.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #1243 on: December 03, 2018, 12:13:15 PM »

According to Jay Schroeder, the Republican who lost the Secretary of State race, a "State Electoral College" is on the cards, too, because Madison and Milwaukee "voted" for the rest of the state this time. It's on his Facebook page.

Yep.

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1244 on: December 03, 2018, 12:22:41 PM »

Why not have county electoral colleges as well, and congressional district electoral colleges! People don't matter, acres matter! Seriously, how can anyone defend Republicans bashing (not just writing off, but bashing) huge swaths of Americans (California/New York, the large cities/urban areas of a state like Madison/Milwaukee), and then turning around and saying that the Democrats are the smug elitists who don't care about Americas? Obviously, a "state electoral college" would never become law, but the fact that this is what they're seriously trying to push is comically corrupt, and further evidence that the last thing these Republicans care about is the "will of the people."
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1245 on: December 03, 2018, 12:54:00 PM »

Yep.

lol
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #1246 on: December 03, 2018, 12:59:27 PM »

Why not have county electoral colleges as well, and congressional district electoral colleges! People don't matter, acres matter! Seriously, how can anyone defend Republicans bashing (not just writing off, but bashing) huge swaths of Americans (California/New York, the large cities/urban areas of a state like Madison/Milwaukee), and then turning around and saying that the Democrats are the smug elitists who don't care about Americas? Obviously, a "state electoral college" would never become law, but the fact that this is what they're seriously trying to push is comically corrupt, and further evidence that the last thing these Republicans care about is the "will of the people."
Perhaps, this will force Dems to care more about than just urbanites.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1247 on: December 03, 2018, 01:37:49 PM »

Oh f**k off you prick. You're the worst disservice to the cause you pretend to care about.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1248 on: December 03, 2018, 01:41:06 PM »

Yeah, it would be a blatant OMOV violation. The only reason the federal EC gets around that is because it's written into the federal Constitution as well.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1249 on: December 03, 2018, 01:50:22 PM »

Yeah, who cares about 80% of the U.S. population? It's totally fine for Republicans to write that irrelevant part of the American electorate off and pretend to care about the remaining 20%.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies