Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 04:14:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 72
Author Topic: Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer  (Read 91190 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: December 04, 2018, 04:18:16 PM »

That point about it not being fair to rural voters about Milwaukee voters voting while their county offices are closed is F[inks]ing absurd.

I mean yeah it's not fair, but the fair solution, is obvious: expand early voting everywhere.
Boss_Rahm
Rookie

« Reply #1276 on: December 04, 2018, 09:56:30 PM »

Just came across this visualization of the gerrymander of the WI Assembly. Stunningly effective.

https://twitter.com/bcburden/status/1069773072587206656
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #1277 on: December 05, 2018, 09:16:58 AM »

Just came across this visualization of the gerrymander of the WI Assembly. Stunningly effective.

Yep, and it's gonna get worse next cycle as the Milwaukee portion of the delegation would happily Russ Carnahan the rest of the caucus to get theirs, even if the Dems as a whole continue to get decimated.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1278 on: December 05, 2018, 09:50:28 AM »

Yep, and it's gonna get worse next cycle as the Milwaukee portion of the delegation would happily Russ Carnahan the rest of the caucus to get theirs, even if the Dems as a whole continue to get decimated.

No they aren't. If anything a fair map would greatly increase the power and representation of Milwaukee County by killing the baconmanders that expend out into Ozaukee and Waukesha.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1279 on: December 05, 2018, 11:44:12 AM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/lame-duck-wisconsin-republicans-vote-weaken-incoming-democratic-governor-attorney-n944001

the bill passed 17-16.
Aurelio21
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #1280 on: December 05, 2018, 12:47:31 PM »

I feel a bit sorry for Wisconsin. Like in NC, the GOP-controlled legislative passes bills with provisions which where declared illegal for the n-th time. Just keep trying, maybe the SC will turn the previous ruling upside down.

The 2 most questionable measures( extra primary/elections for judical elections, stripping the AG from making ligitations) have been skipped, yet:
- disempowerment of the Governor in one of the core competencies(negotiating as head-of-government, which is the definition of a Governor)
- Executive Boards as parallel governments established
- Voting rights in peril and limited (EV, oversight of the executive disbanded)
- Original law bill published minutes before
- Own legistlative rules of the senate disregarded (a law must be passed 3 times on different sessions)

I do not know about how american/wisconsonite judges consider this legal, yet all these points are in the realm of constitutional law, but the according processes changing the constitution with amendments etc has been disregarded. The early voting provisions are repeatedly struck down, and the law itself has not been passed appropiately to their own legislative procedures.

Thus all bills of the #WIPowerGrab should be null and void. But who knows what the WISC does this, as there are clearly two sets of law: one for the WI GOP, and a stricter one for the rest of the state's citizens.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1281 on: December 05, 2018, 12:52:41 PM »

I feel a bit sorry for Wisconsin. Like in NC, the GOP-controlled legislative passes bills with provisions which where declared illegal for the n-th time. Just keep trying, maybe the SC will turn the previous ruling upside down.

The 2 most questionable measures( extra primary/elections for judical elections, stripping the AG from making ligitations) have been skipped, yet:
- disempowerment of the Governor in one of the core competencies(negotiating as head-of-government, which is the definition of a Governor)
- Own legistlative rules of the senate disregarded (a law must be passed 3 times on different sessions)

I do not know about how american/wisconsonite judges consider this legal, yet all these points are in the realm of constitutional law, but the according processes changing the constitution with amendments etc has been disregarded. The early voting provisions are repeatedly struck down, and the law itself has not been passed appropiately to their own legislative procedures.

Thus all bills of the #WIPowerGrab should be null and void. But who knows what the WISC does this, as there are clearly two sets of law: one for the WI GOP, and a stricter one for the rest of the state's citizens.

Conservatives have a one seat majority in the Wisconsin Supreme Court, but if liberals can hold their open seat this year and knock off the conservative incumbent in 2020, they could take the majority and start hacking away at a lot of the crap that has taken place under the Walker regime.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1282 on: December 05, 2018, 12:59:06 PM »

Conservatives have a one seat majority in the Wisconsin Supreme Court, but if liberals can hold their open seat this year and knock off the conservative incumbent in 2020, they could take the majority and start hacking away at a lot of the crap that has taken place under the Walker regime.

Yep, the SC takes priority now to stop the WIGOP. It could also get us a non-partisan map for the 2022!
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1283 on: December 05, 2018, 01:00:46 PM »

Yep, the SC takes priority now to stop the WIGOP. It could also get us a non-partisan map for the 2022!

Evers veto pen "should" be enough there. Also given how off-year and special elections have looked in Wisconsin, I feel pretty good about the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1284 on: December 05, 2018, 01:12:09 PM »

Evers veto pen "should" be enough there. Also given how off-year and special elections have looked in Wisconsin, I feel pretty good about the Wisconsin Supreme Court.

Yeah, he can still veto, but a court drawn map would likely be fairer, and give us a tossup district in the South of WI.

If I were to give a rating to the WISC, I would say tilt/lean D.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1285 on: December 05, 2018, 01:21:03 PM »

Yeah, he can still veto, but a court drawn map would likely be fairer, and give us a tossup district in the South of WI.

Evers' veto would result in a court drawn map, just from a Federal Judge (Obama appointee) rather than the State Supreme Court.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #1286 on: December 05, 2018, 01:21:11 PM »

I remember when Wisconsin politics were sane. Big money (Koch money) bought the state in 2010 with the Walker regime and the loss of one of our best U.S. Senators (John McCain agreed), Russ Feingold. What has happened to this once progressive state is beyond sad - WI didn't used to have this level of corruption in its politics. Walker may always be the "zombie governor" no matter who wins. Michigan has been owned by the Koch Brothers, too, since then. Something similar is happening in their state right now.

Wisconsinites, PLEASE don't give up and continue fighting. We are a smart state - we CAN continue our winning streak!
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1287 on: December 05, 2018, 01:22:01 PM »

Evers' veto would result in a court drawn map, just from a Federal Judge (Obama appointee) rather than the State Supreme Court.

I see, I thought the Federal Judge was a Trump appointee. My mistake!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1288 on: December 05, 2018, 01:48:34 PM »

What about the legislative maps?

Also, even if the court-drawn maps were from a court with a majority of conservatives, I think we'd probably get something fair. Is there any precedent for a court drawing a gerrymander for the dominant party because of a divided govt? And I don't mean the court basically taking the old map and making minimal changes as a remedial map, like Texas.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1289 on: December 05, 2018, 01:50:17 PM »

What about the legislative maps?

Also, even if the court-drawn maps were from a court with a majority of conservatives, I think we'd probably get something fair. Is there any precedent for a court drawing a gerrymander for the dominant party because of a divided govt? And I don't mean the court basically taking the old map and making minimal changes as a remedial map, like Texas.

Yeah I don't see a court drawing a specifically gerrymandered map no matter the composition of it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1290 on: December 05, 2018, 02:07:00 PM »

So which of these power grabs will be struck down? I'm pretty sure the AG stuff at least is unconstitutional.
Aurelio21
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #1291 on: December 05, 2018, 02:19:55 PM »

So which of these power grabs will be struck down? I'm pretty sure the AG stuff at least is unconstitutional.

According to my gut feeling and judical logic:
If the WISC applies judical logic: All are invalid, as they have not been properly legislated according to WI-Sen procedures. For concrete measures everything which elevates the legislature to the executive should be contradicting the common 3-power-government theory , western democracy style(executive controls of AG+GOV, parallel executive boards without GOV oversight), as well.

I am not a lawyer thus which provisions are indeed invalid any comment or hint of an actual, impartial lawyer specialized in constitutional law would be helpful(obviously not Ted Cruz).
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1292 on: December 05, 2018, 02:23:15 PM »

Good luck trying to make me and many other young workers stay in the state, WI Republicans. You're really doing the state a great service...

Even more disappointing is the silence from our Republican friends...
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1293 on: December 05, 2018, 02:23:28 PM »

It's up to the 4-3 conservative Supreme Court until at least 2020.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1294 on: December 05, 2018, 02:24:09 PM »

MI is 3-1-3 right?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1295 on: December 05, 2018, 02:26:20 PM »

Are all the 4 conservatives complete and utter hacks, or could one or more of them actually rule based on, you know, what the State Constitution actually says?

And if the latter, how would they rule?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1296 on: December 05, 2018, 02:26:51 PM »

MI is 3-1-3 right?

No idea. I know there were two conservative seats up this years and the liberals took one.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #1297 on: December 05, 2018, 02:34:30 PM »

So, early voting as been limited too, right? I thought somebody said there wasn't enough votes for it.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1298 on: December 05, 2018, 02:41:00 PM »

So, early voting as been limited too, right? I thought somebody said there wasn't enough votes for it.

Nope that happened, even though it was recently reinstated via a court order just a couple years ago.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #1299 on: December 05, 2018, 02:48:04 PM »

Nope that happened, even though it was recently reinstated via a court order just a couple years ago.

Seriously?? Well, that's going to help to ensure WI goes to Trump in 2020 and GOP victories in WI in 2022. Ridiculous!
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies