Ukrainian presidential election, 2019
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:07:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ukrainian presidential election, 2019
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Poll
Question: Who will make it into the second round? (2 votes)
Petro Poroshenko (BPP)

Yulia Tymoshenko (BA)

Anatoliy Hrytsenko (GP)

Yuri Boyko (OB)

Vladimir Zelenski (SN)

Svyatoslav Vakarchuk (IND)

Oleg Lyashko (RP)

Vadim Rabynovych (ZZ)

Andrii Sadovyi (SP)

Evgeny Murayev (IND)

Other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Ukrainian presidential election, 2019  (Read 20365 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2019, 11:36:32 PM »

Some news
Today Andrei Sadovyi (mayor of Lviv, had 2-3% in polls) and Dmytro Gnap (minor candidate) dropped out from the race and announced their support towards Anatoliy Hrytsenko.

There are 3 ongoing HUGE scandals in Ukrainan politics.

1) It wasn't a big secret that Pororshenko and other government officials are involved in corruption schemes around military-industrial complex. But latest journalist investigationmade it clear that top managers of Ukrainian military-industrial complex and top Poroshnko's ally (and his friend for many years) partiipated in fishy schemes.
https://www.rferl.org/a/weeks-ahead-of-ukraine-vote-poroshenko-under-fire-over-smuggling-claim/29791859.html
Btw, in few days journalists will release second part of investigation.

2) Top officials from both Poroshenko's and Tymoshenko's parties in Kherson region were accused in organizing of killing anti-corruption activist Kateryna Handziuk. Speaker of regional legislature Manger, from Tymoshenko's party, was indicted.
https://112.international/article/who-is-who-in-acid-attack-murder-of-ukrainian-activist-handziuk-36970.html
However other two guys from Poroshenko's party, governor Hordeyev and his deputy Ryshchuk for now are clear from charges.

3) Constitutional Court (controlled by government) has killed major anti-corruption law, and public is angry.
https://www.transparency.org/news/pressrelease/constitutional_court_ruling_undermines_anti_corruption_achievements_in_ukra

Sad  RIP FF

Not that I expected Sadovyi to go anywhere, and this is a responsible move from him. It would be great were Hrytsenko bumped back up into the top tier, I would take him over the top three. Endorsed by default for now.

Another major thing going on recently is the Rada failed to pass a major defense reform which would have brought the Ukrainian army up to NATO standards. This is a major embarrassment for the government.
How did that occur and what was the vote breakdown? Seems like an incredibly stupid thing to vote down such an essential legislation.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 06:20:20 AM »

Some news
Today Andrei Sadovyi (mayor of Lviv, had 2-3% in polls) and Dmytro Gnap (minor candidate) dropped out from the race and announced their support towards Anatoliy Hrytsenko.

There are 3 ongoing HUGE scandals in Ukrainan politics.

1) It wasn't a big secret that Pororshenko and other government officials are involved in corruption schemes around military-industrial complex. But latest journalist investigationmade it clear that top managers of Ukrainian military-industrial complex and top Poroshnko's ally (and his friend for many years) partiipated in fishy schemes.
https://www.rferl.org/a/weeks-ahead-of-ukraine-vote-poroshenko-under-fire-over-smuggling-claim/29791859.html
Btw, in few days journalists will release second part of investigation.

2) Top officials from both Poroshenko's and Tymoshenko's parties in Kherson region were accused in organizing of killing anti-corruption activist Kateryna Handziuk. Speaker of regional legislature Manger, from Tymoshenko's party, was indicted.
https://112.international/article/who-is-who-in-acid-attack-murder-of-ukrainian-activist-handziuk-36970.html
However other two guys from Poroshenko's party, governor Hordeyev and his deputy Ryshchuk for now are clear from charges.

3) Constitutional Court (controlled by government) has killed major anti-corruption law, and public is angry.
https://www.transparency.org/news/pressrelease/constitutional_court_ruling_undermines_anti_corruption_achievements_in_ukra

Sad  RIP FF

Not that I expected Sadovyi to go anywhere, and this is a responsible move from him. It would be great were Hrytsenko bumped back up into the top tier, I would take him over the top three. Endorsed by default for now.

Another major thing going on recently is the Rada failed to pass a major defense reform which would have brought the Ukrainian army up to NATO standards. This is a major embarrassment for the government.
How did that occur and what was the vote breakdown? Seems like an incredibly stupid thing to vote down such an essential legislation.

I'm not sure it was really that important. Haven't seen any articles about this in ukrainian press (maybe 1-2 articles). Usually when such measures don't pass, it means poor lobbying from authorities - if government want something pro-nato or pro-eu to pass, it can easily do this (see changes in constitution about goal to move to NATO and EU - recently government recruited constitutional majority for this)
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 11:30:50 AM »

Taruta has dropped out and endorsed Tymoshenko, and I've seen some argument that this will help her regain some credibility in the eastern parts of the country, though I think this is a stretch given her history and the limited appeal of Taruta in the first place.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 04:22:16 AM »

Looking at polls i see - it's sure run-off with Zelenski as one of participants. The question is - who will be the second?
mgop
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 08:22:24 AM »

i hope after this election:

zelenski - president
tymoshenko - opposition
poroshenko - jail
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2019, 02:48:54 PM »

zelenski - president
tymoshenko - opposition
poroshenko - jail

Most of major candidates promised to prosecute Poroshenko) but he can easily escape to some western country, he has real estate in England and Spain.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 03:39:13 PM »

zelenski - president
tymoshenko - opposition
poroshenko - jail

This is probably the first and last time I will ever agree with a post you make.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 03:44:10 PM »

How much trouble is Poroshenko in ? I know Putin & Co., HATE this man & would rather want a Putin ally inside Mariyinksy Palace.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 03:42:30 AM »

How much trouble is Poroshenko in ? I know Putin & Co., HATE this man & would rather want a Putin ally inside Mariyinksy Palace.

There are no Putin's allies among leading candidates...
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 07:04:12 AM »

For some unknown reason, Poroshenko decided to attack (via his close ally and relative, Attorney General Lutsenko) current US Ambassador, Marie Yovanovitch.
https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/434875-top-ukrainian-justice-official-says-us-ambassador-gave-him-a-do-not-prosecute

Between other things, he accused head of NABU (National Anti-Corruption Bureau) and some MPs in working for Hillary Clinton during 2016 US election. They, with assistance of ambassador Yovanovitch, tried to damage Paul Manafort's reputation. If you read Trump's twitter, he mentioned this question several times in last days.

Really, I think it's stupid move by President Petro. He definitely doesn't like Yovanovitch, who criticized ukrainian government in the past, but accuse her of participation in crime and in conspiracy against Trump? He also hates NGO's and activists supported by Embassy, but are they that big of a threat? It's clear he tries to make alliance with Trump against State Department bureucracy, but
1) He himself supported Clinton in 2016. I doubt that Manafort's info was leaked without his authorization
2) What if Trump loses in 2020?
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2019, 07:09:57 AM »

For some unknown reason, Poroshenko decided to attack (via his close ally and relative, Attorney General Lutsenko) current US Ambassador, Marie Yovanovitch.
https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/434875-top-ukrainian-justice-official-says-us-ambassador-gave-him-a-do-not-prosecute

Between other things, he accused head of NABU (National Anti-Corruption Bureau) and some MPs in working for Hillary Clinton during 2016 US election. They, with assistance of ambassador Yovanovitch, tried to damage Paul Manafort's reputation. If you read Trump's twitter, he mentioned this question several times in last days.

Really, I think it's stupid move by President Petro. He definitely doesn't like Yovanovitch, who criticized ukrainian government in the past, but accuse her of participation in crime and in conspiracy against Trump? He also hates NGO's and activists supported by Embassy, but are they that big of a threat? It's clear he tries to make alliance with Trump against State Department bureucracy, but
1) He himself supported Clinton in 2016. I doubt that Manafort's info was leaked without his authorization
2) What if Trump loses in 2020?

I wonder what the reasoning for this is. I doubt the support of people who are willing to believe the corruption in the GPO is all America's fault are going to put him over the top.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2019, 06:50:54 AM »

This week two debates should have occured, first with middle-tier candidates (Hrytsenko, Lyashko, Boyko), and second today - with Poro, Yulia and Zelenskiy. Only Hrytsenko has participated, so, basically, no debates. Maybe before second round?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2019, 06:45:05 PM »

Far-Right militias take roles as election observers, possible police clashes likely to occur
He is one of 363 members of the National Militia movement, a camouflage-clad group known for its appeals to patriotism and promise “to use force to establish order”, who have officially registered to monitor the vote.

Their planned presence in polling stations across the country has caused concern about the prospect of violence during a close election that will decide who leads a country at the hard edge of a standoff between Russia and the West.

The movement, which has repeatedly collided with police, says its members may take control of ballot boxes and close polling stations pending the arrival of police if they detect cheating, setting up possible confrontations.

The PR moves against Ukraine would just be escalated if these militias cause even further problems.Ukrainian stability would not look good if the militias ballot-stuff their candidates in office.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2019, 05:56:27 AM »

Elections tomorrow!

Recent polls from the most credible pollsters:

Razumkov Centre, without undecided:
Zelenskiy - 24.8%
Poroshenko - 22.1%
Timoshenko - 14.8%
Boyko - 10.0%
Hrytsenko - 8.2%

Rating Group
Zelenskiy - 26.6%
Poroshenko - 17.2%
Timoshenko - 17.2%
Hrytsenko - 9.8%
Boyko - 9.5%

KMIIS
Zelenskiy - 27.6%
Poroshenko - 18.2%
Timoshenko - 12.8%
Boyko - 11.1%
Hrytsenko - 8.4%

SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2019, 05:23:04 PM »

Are Zelensky's ties with Kolomoysky too much worrying, policy-wise?
I see the oligarch has funded Tymoschenko and Poroshenko in the past...
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2019, 05:50:14 PM »

I am for Boyko but I would be fine if Poroshenko wins re-election
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2019, 12:53:20 AM »

Interesting choices, given that Boyko is one of the most pro-Russia candidates, and Poroshenlo - one of the most anti-Russia...
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2019, 02:48:59 AM »

Interesting choices, given that Boyko is one of the most pro-Russia candidates, and Poroshenlo - one of the most anti-Russia...

Yeah, and economically they are also very different, and culturally...
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2019, 04:26:38 AM »

Isn't Boyko pretty liberal, in contrast to Proroshenko's religious nationalism?
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2019, 05:06:01 AM »

Isn't Boyko pretty liberal, in contrast to Proroshenko's religious nationalism?

Liberal in ethnic questions - yeah. Mainly it's about rights of Russian minority, but in recent years also about Hungarians. Historically, all minorities supported eastern parties, except for Crimeans and Poles, they supported Western parties.

In LGBT relations... I don't know Boyko's positions, but suspect he isn't very liberal. Poroshenko was pretty friendly to LGBT at first, but during this campaign he painted himself as conservative and "defender of family values". Between his allies, there are staunch LGBT-defenders and ugly homophobes.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2019, 06:38:32 AM »

Well, within the Ukraine context I am pro-Russia.  I am also pretty anti-Tymoshenko so I want Poroshenko to make it into the second round.   In many ways I like the status quo.  What I oppose the most is Ukraine joining NATO.  If Poroshenko can win perhaps the anti-incumbency feelings toward Poroshenko could somehow delay the vote to join NATO.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2019, 06:48:47 AM »

Voting will end 8pm Kiev time (1pm EST) which I assume exit polls will come out.  Donbas will not be voting of course but it seems Donbas residents who want to vote and travel to the areas controlled by the Ukraine government.
mgop
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2019, 07:08:17 AM »

poroshenko and tymoshenko are both highly corrupted and who ever goes to second round will be kremlin's favorite. putin's propaganda will go hard after zelenski because they don't like to "rock the boat" and they probably already during this 5 years create deep ties with current regime.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2019, 08:50:54 AM »

Voting will end 8pm Kiev time (1pm EST) which I assume exit polls will come out.  Donbas will not be voting of course but it seems Donbas residents who want to vote and travel to the areas controlled by the Ukraine government.

How does this work ?

Are these people even on the lists of eligible voters ? How does Ukraine maintain population/voter information of people who are under Russian/separatist control ?
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2019, 10:11:08 AM »

As at 16:00 (13:00 GMT), 45,01% of Ukrainians have already voted. The highest turnout in the central regions, including in the Vinnytsia, Cherkassy, Kiev regions. Almost all of the presidential candidates have already voted
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies