1952: President Harry Truman (D) vs. New York Governor Thomas Dewey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:50:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1952: President Harry Truman (D) vs. New York Governor Thomas Dewey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1952: President Harry Truman (D) vs. New York Governor Thomas Dewey (R)  (Read 1223 times)
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2018, 12:48:45 PM »

How would a rematch have gone? Discuss with running mates and maps.

Yes, I know it's unlikely either would've gotten their party's nomination...
UnselfconsciousTeff
Rookie
Egypt

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 02:30:16 PM »

Dewey/Stassen
Truman/Sparkman
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 09:24:58 AM »

Unlikely Sparkman is picked. I don't see Truman winning the deep South either. There would have been another Dixiecrat ticket because Dewey is unacceptable for the racists.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 09:23:33 AM »

✓ Governor Thomas Dewey (R-NY)/Governor Earl Warren (R-CA): 394 EVs.; 51.1%
President Harry S. Truman (D-MO)/Governor Adlai Stevenson (D-IL): 88 EVs.; 43.9%
Governor Strom Thurmond (Dixie-SC)/Senator John Sparkman (Dixie-AL): 49 EVs.; 4.6%
UnselfconsciousTeff
Rookie
Egypt

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 01:42:37 AM »

Unlikely Sparkman is picked. I don't see Truman winning the deep South either. There would have been another Dixiecrat ticket because Dewey is unacceptable for the racists.

After 1948 there was a compromise between the Dixiecrats and the Democratic establishment this was the reason why Sparkman was Stevensons RM in '52
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 08:37:39 AM »

This, except I'd flip West Virginia, Texas, Florida and Pennsylvania.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 06:16:46 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2018, 06:20:56 PM by TheElectoralBoobyPrize »

I think Nixon may have still been the (R) running mate...he was seen as acceptable to both the conservative and moderate/liberal factions.

How would the campaign have gone? Truman doesn't have a Republican Congress to rail against...and Dewey's not going to roll over like he did in '48.

I think Truman would do a bit better in the North than these maps are showing (but don't know why he would've won PA...just because Ike barely won it?)

Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 10:28:28 AM »

President Harry Truman (D-MO) / Governor Adlai Stevenson (D-IL)
Governor Thomas Dewey (R-NY) / Senator Richard Nixon (R-CA) ✓
Governor Strom Thurmond (DX-SC) / Senator John Sparkman (DX-AL)

Texas was bound to swing to the Republicans in the 1950s due to the Presidential Republicanism of the Shivercrats, but Truman still narrowly carries some Outer South and Northern states. This is being generous to Truman IMO, partly because Dewey wouldn't have the unique appeal to veterans, independents, and Democrats that Eisenhower did, but mostly because I don't want to bother with another wall-of-text rant from seething Kentuckian Democrat users.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 12:58:22 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2021, 01:23:13 PM by Alben Barkley »

President Harry Truman (D-MO) / Governor Adlai Stevenson (D-IL)
Governor Thomas Dewey (R-NY) / Senator Richard Nixon (R-CA) ✓
Governor Strom Thurmond (DX-SC) / Senator John Sparkman (DX-AL)

Texas was bound to swing to the Republicans in the 1950s due to the Presidential Republicanism of the Shivercrats, but Truman still narrowly carries some Outer South and Northern states. This is being generous to Truman IMO, partly because Dewey wouldn't have the unique appeal to veterans, independents, and Democrats that Eisenhower did, but mostly because I don't want to bother with another wall-of-text rant from seething Kentuckian Democrat users.

LOL, well, now you’re gonna get one anyway. I have no problem with people thinking Truman would have lost badly in 1952 given his unpopularity; I’m not sure why you think I would. But I also don’t think that map is generous to Truman. Let’s consider the reason (some) Deep South states revolted against him in 1948. It wasn’t because they especially hated Truman. And they sure as hell didn’t vote for Stevenson in 1952 because they particularly loved him. It was mainly because Thurmond was an option in protest against Truman’s Civil Rights support. After the failure of that move in 1948, there seemed to be little appetite in the South to try it again until 1968. (See 1960, when the Catholic and pro-Civil Rights JFK only lost Mississippi to the Dixiecrat.) I think if Truman were to run again, the South would have supported him this time, especially against Dewey rather than Ike. I think you oversell Dewey’s appeal in general. I’m skeptical he would have had the crossover support needed to even win Texas; don’t know if the Shivercrats would have backed him. Also not sure why Stevenson would be the VP here; if it’s not Barkley again, Truman probably does go with a Southerner like Sparkman in an attempt to ensure he locks the South down.

Ultimately, I’m thinking it’s basically your map except Thurmond doesn’t run and Truman wins all the states he does, plus perhaps TX, TN, OK, and VA. Against Ike, however, he does much worse and loses those at least most likely. Probably also LA and SC.

Also, even if Thurmond does run again, I find it hard to believe he’d winnall tjose states he couldn’t win in 1948. Particularly Georgia and Arkansas.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies