Israel 2018 municipal elections Oct 30 and Nov 13
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:21:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel 2018 municipal elections Oct 30 and Nov 13
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Israel 2018 municipal elections Oct 30 and Nov 13  (Read 11598 times)
danny
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2018, 06:45:14 PM »

elections in 251 municipalities (out of 255) will take place on October 30. Each voter votes twice, once for the council, and a second vote for the mayor. If no candidate reaches 40% in the first round, then there is a second round on November 13 between the top 2. The number of councillors depends on the population in the municipality and is between 7 for the smallest locations and 31 for he largest.

Keep in mind that while there are many local affiliates of national parties, local parties will often dominate the council, and in some cases there are alliances between local affiliates that wouldn't make sense from a national perspective.

Obviously I can't talk about each municipality so I'll just go with my own city of Jerusalem.

Moshe Leon- Ran last time and came in a close second with 45% mostly on the back of Haredi support. This time he has the backing of Shas the Litvishers (the non hasidic part of UTJ) and Yisrael Beitenu.

Zeev Elkin- The current Minister of Environmental protection and Jerusalem affairs for the Likud. Has the support of Netanyahu the Jewish Home and outgoing mayor Barkat whom is going into national politics with The Likud.

Ofer Berkovitch- The head of a local party that was in the municipal coalition until they left because they blamed Barkat for giving in too much to the Haredim. Berkovitch has made himself the main candidate of Secular Jerusalem and related groups who are opposed to Haredi power in the city.

Those are the 3 candidates that have a chance to win but there are two more who don’t.

Yossi Deitch- The candidate of the Hasidic part of UTJ. A Haredi candidate would need to unite the Haredi vote to win and with Shas and the Litvishers supporting Leon he can’t win anymore.

Rachel Azaria- A member of Knesset for Kulanu. Her potential electorate would be the same as that of Berkovitch, and since he is clearly the stronger candidate Azaria’s candidacy has become hopeless and could only serve as a spoiler for Berkovitch.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 06:11:03 AM »

Which national parties have the strongest representation in the municipalities?
danny
Israel

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 06:35:07 AM »

This varies greatly by municipality, but the Haredi are the only ones who consistently keep their national support, and a newer party like Kulanu does the worst.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 08:07:59 AM »

This varies greatly by municipality, but the Haredi are the only ones who consistently keep their national support, and a newer party like Kulanu does the worst.
In places like Beitar Illit, Modiin Illit or Bnei Brak, do the Agudat Yisrael and Degel HaTorah run separately?
danny
Israel

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 08:27:04 AM »

In places like Beitar Illit, Modiin Illit or Bnei Brak, do the Agudat Yisrael and Degel HaTorah run separately?

Last time they ran together in those places. in fact in Beitar they also ran with Shas.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 08:42:13 AM »

Last time they ran together in those places. in fact in Beitar they also ran with Shas.
and won... all seats?
danny
Israel

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 09:26:20 AM »

12 of 15 seats, there were a couple of small local parties that got 3 seats between them.
Boobs
HCP

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 10:19:47 AM »

How about Afula? I’m certain it’s a Likud stronghold. 
danny
Israel

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »

How about Afula? I’m certain it’s a Likud stronghold. 

They do well in national elections, in the last local election they won one seat out of 15.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 02:52:05 PM »

This is probably showing my complete ignorance of Israeli politics, but Yisrael Beiteinu and the Haredim? I was under the impression that they didn't really get along?
danny
Israel

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 04:27:23 PM »

This is probably showing my complete ignorance of Israeli politics, but Yisrael Beiteinu and the Haredim? I was under the impression that they didn't really get along?
The bases of the party are very different and would disagree a lot on religious matters. Deri and Lieberman are a different matter, they have been friends and allies for a long time and are both connected to Jewish Austrian billionaire Martin Schlaf. Not coincidentally, Moshe Leon, the guy they are promoting, used to be an adviser to Schlaf.
danny
Israel

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 12:21:37 PM »

Rachel Azaria dropped out of the race and will endorse Elkin. She wasn't going to get many votes and I expect that most of the those that were panning to vote for her won't vote based upon her recommendation anyway. I think Berkovitch gets more of her former supporters than Elkin, but it won't make a big difference anyway.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 12:25:39 PM »

Who do Armenians and Arabs vote for here, or are they kinda shut from Jerusalem politics.
danny
Israel

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 12:43:22 PM »

Who do Armenians and Arabs vote for here, or are they kinda shut from Jerusalem politics.
Hardly anyone votes.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 10:33:26 AM »

Jerusalem also has Yossi Havilio, a secular attorney who's basically the candidate of the tiny left plus the LGBTQ community in the city. He obviously can't win Tongue I'd probably vote for Berkovitch considering everything.

Meanwhile, the comparably small cities of Ma'alot and Nahariya in the north have contests between the longtime incumbent mayors Jackie Sabag (Nahariya) and Shlomo Buchbut (my city- Ma'alot). They're both part of the old wave of Mizrahi Jews who took a firm hold of the municipalities following the fall of the Ashkenazi domination. I doubt either will lose, though my Mayor looks more endangered to me, considering there's a Russian candidate running who came close last time, and the city's post-Soviet population is very large. Buhbut, by the way, is in office for 42 years, serving as head of the Council and then as Mayor when Ma'alot became a real city with municipal authorities. If he wins reelection, I believe he'll become the longest-serving Mayor ever in Israel.
danny
Israel

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 10:51:34 AM »

Jerusalem also has Yossi Havilio, a secular attorney who's basically the candidate of the tiny left plus the LGBTQ community in the city. He obviously can't win Tongue I'd probably vote for Berkovitch considering everything.

He already dropped out and endorsed Berkovitch a while ago.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 11:11:54 AM »

He already dropped out and endorsed Berkovitch a while ago.

Huh, he did? I guess I wasn't tuned in enough, considering I'm in Jerusalem only during the academic year.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2018, 08:32:20 AM »

in most municipalities I would wager Likud and surprisingly Shas.

Likud as the rulling party and closest to a big tent party are represented all around. Shas had perpetual holders of the home office have the money, hence many running under their banner. Labour used to be like that but they're finished as a "national party'.

Who controls most municipalities? I have no idea, I don't think anyone keeps track of that. we also need to remember that you can have multiple parties in one municipality that are basically composed of members of the same national party (Haifa has like 3 Labour parties and 2 Likud parties)

Meanwhile in Haifa, the mayoral election is running at "full speed at neutral gear' mode
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 01:31:34 AM »

Some of my hard-right friends are whining about Berkovitch so I guess its time I pay attention to the Jerusalem race Tongue

I originally planned on supporting Ze'ev Elkin but for most of this year I had grown increasingly frustrated with Likud. At different points of this year I possibly would've been on board with Berkovitch mainly because my disagreements w/ Likud had been on social issues.

But...I took a break from following Israeli politics and have "come home" back to Likud, for the most part. Social issues ultimately wouldn't be the end-all for me if I were an Israeli voter.

I want Elkin to win, but I wouldn't be upset w/ Berkovitch winning, either. Just not Yossi Deitch and his list. I'm neutral (but somewhat skeptical) towards Moshe Leon.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 09:18:56 AM »

What would be the difference between Elkin and Lion, policy-wise?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2018, 12:57:51 PM »

What would be the difference between Elkin and Lion, policy-wise?
Minor.
Mayor's have very little actual power, they usually appoint some friends to jobs in cityhall, arrange for building permits to their friends, approve some massive absolutely pointless landmark construction that people will remember them for, and fund some projects they like.
Most actual important planning for infrastructure and such happens at the national level anyhow, especially in Jerusalem where it is practically ran by the different government departments stationed there anyhow.

The city basically makes sure the trash is taken out, and business owners pay their taxes.

As Elkin has his eyes on national politics I think he'll do more PR stunts if he's elected.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 11:21:40 AM »

I heard Jerusalem has an Arab city councilor running for the first time?  I was there just recently and apparently even some Jews will be voting for them.  What do you think his chances are?  While Arab voters show up this time or will many as in the past boycott municipal elections.
danny
Israel

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2018, 12:07:26 PM »

I heard Jerusalem has an Arab city councilor running for the first time?  I was there just recently and apparently even some Jews will be voting for them.  What do you think his chances are?  While Arab voters show up this time or will many as in the past boycott municipal elections.

There is an Arab party running for the council this time, whether that will cause enough Arabs to show up and vote I don't know. As for Jewish voters it's not something I heard about, but if you look hard enough you could find just about any kind of voter, although this is coming from the far left it would be ironic since the party leader is a Likud member.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2018, 02:26:42 PM »

Is Huldai running in Tel Aviv again?
danny
Israel

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 08:00:41 PM »

Is Huldai running in Tel Aviv again?
Yes, seems that his main competition is Assaf Zamir, although other than being half his age I don't know what the differences are between them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies