I noticed something dumb about California's Proposition 7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:09:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  I noticed something dumb about California's Proposition 7
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I noticed something dumb about California's Proposition 7  (Read 796 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2018, 12:45:04 AM »

It would switch California to permanent Pacific Daylight Time. The US government allows states to either not be on daylight savings time, or be on it just for March to November. Mountain Standard Time  (which Arizona follows for the whole year) is the same as Pacific Daylight Time, but no, we're going to insist on having permanent Pacific Daylight Time if it passes.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 05:22:43 PM »

every state should do this. It will definitely pass in CA
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 05:01:33 AM »

Federal law only allows California to adopt year-round PST, not year-round PDT (and I don't California is allowed to move to MST on its own). California law says it has to go before the voters, then back to the Legislature (which should be easy, since it was referred to the people by the Legislature), and then to the federal government.

I've read about this. The main reason is to stop changing the clocks twice a year. Initially, the proposal was to change to PST year-round (which the state could do alone), but there was a lot of hostility to losing an extra hour of daylight throughout the summer. Also, many business interests were opposed as well. It would have meant that from March-November, California would be 4 hours behind the East Coast.

This proposal goes the other way. California would adopt PDT year-round (assuming Congressional approval). That would leave California the same from March-November. However, from November-March, California would effectively be the same as MST, only 2 hours behind the East Coast. That's actually a pretty big deal if you think about it. I'm actually in support of Prop 7 for that reason.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 07:55:28 PM »

I oppose this on principle because I'm tired of state entities playing with time. Either stick with PST or deal with springing forward like the rest of us. Earth's solar day should be the prime influence on what time it is, otherwise we might as well all adopt the same national time like they do in China.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 09:09:50 PM »

States being able to do this individually is almost as dumb as daylight savings time itself.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies