What can save white-working class Americans?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:12:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What can save white-working class Americans?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What can save white-working class Americans?  (Read 1774 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 05:19:19 PM »
« edited: September 20, 2018, 05:28:30 PM by HillGoose »

It's annoying me that the general consensus here seems to be that it's the responsibility of others to save the working class. I grew up this way, and I'm no longer a part of the working class lifestyle. I found a way out, and I didn't need the help of the government or anyone else.

"Saving" the white working class is the responsibility of no one but themselves. The government shouldn't force me to subsidize these people.

"Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 07:12:19 PM »

It's annoying me that the general consensus here seems to be that it's the responsibility of others to save the working class. I grew up this way, and I'm no longer a part of the working class lifestyle. I found a way out, and I didn't need the help of the government or anyone else.

"Saving" the white working class is the responsibility of no one but themselves. The government shouldn't force me to subsidize these people.

"Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

We found the (unironic) "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" answer!
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 10:48:03 PM »

My experience is invalid?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 06:02:33 AM »

I don't think there's much to be done if simple logic isn't recognized. Rural areas are not coming back. Coal is not coming back.

I don't think you can save people that don't recognize facts and don't want to save themselves. Democrats offer universal healthcare, a living wage, job retraining, and affordable college. Republicans offer tax cuts and false promises of a coal and/or rural revival. It's almost impossible to truly save people from themselves sometimes.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 06:14:43 AM »

Very curious about this apparent popularity of cricket among white working class Americans

Lmao
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 07:08:51 AM »

Of course, along with other supplements like a good woman to whip you into shape, an appreciation for whiskey and craft beer, the moral clarity one gets from supporting unsuccessful sports teams, etc. Wink

Agreed. When even the Wings don’t have that good a season, the lack of success is quite real. Sad
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2018, 01:15:05 AM »

At least unlike Republicans he is consistent and applies it to white people as well.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2018, 01:17:11 AM »

At least unlike Republicans he is consistent and applies it to white people as well.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2018, 04:38:34 AM »

And it's kind of true. I still think there is a role for Government in solving rural and micropolitan poverty and ignorance. However, it's not the role of Government to just give away things no strings attached or to help  by tearing down the houses if others. Whatever happened to public investing in research and development of new industry, fighting cartels, and providing public services that create a more employable workforce? The jobs aren't coming back but the hope to bring jobs back wasn't an ambitious enough goal. Why isn't there a focus on finding new things for people to do?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2018, 08:52:46 PM »

Two more blows to the white middle class in NJ:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/2018/09/25/fatal-drug-overdoses-nj-continue-rise-opioid-prescriptions-decline/1421045002/

http://nj1015.com/nj-obesity-rate-still-at-its-highest-level-report-finds/

Yes, New Jersey is an affluent Northeastern state, but a lot of white middle class NJers are moving out, some of them are dying due to opiods, obesity, etc.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies