MD-Goucher: Hogan +22 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:24:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  MD-Goucher: Hogan +22 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MD-Goucher: Hogan +22  (Read 3441 times)
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« on: September 19, 2018, 11:30:14 AM »
« edited: September 19, 2018, 11:33:39 AM by Celes »

Jealous is a fine candidate and Hogan is far from a moderate. His true colors will be shown soon enough. The Maryland Democratic party has done effectively nothing to help Jealous with this campaign and many of them genuinely don't want him to win because he isn't Rushern Baker. It's truly vindictive. Hogan is one of the most vulnerable incumbents in the country and the Maryland Dems have utterly blown it out of sheer spite.

Move from lean to likely R.

Maryland Democrats have essentially abandoned Jealous, there has been almost zero tv spots for him. Really piss poor effort by state officials. I’m debating leaving my ballot blank, other than Jealous, as protest. I already know I’m not voting for the Comptroller (didn’t endorse Jealous) and maybe Cardin (still can’t forgive his Iran Deal vote).

I also refuse to vote for Franchot. He is a shifty opportunist with calculated political instincts and no principles to speak of.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 03:01:51 PM »

The reason it is unacceptable that the Democratic party has acted this way about Jealous is that it is simple political expediency. These people are strangulatig themselves because they’re afraid of looking bad. It all goes back to O’Malley being unpopular and Democrats being unwilling to take any pride in their achievements as such. This is not a principled stand in the name of policy. It isn’t as if we nominated someone truly ridiculous.

Jealous is by no means outside of the Democratic mainstream. He’s a tad further left than Rushern Baker or, say, Parris Glendening, but to pretend he’s some screaming left-winger — or even a doctrinaire Berniecrat — is lazy and vindictive. There is nothing about Ben Jealous or his campaign that would reasonably inspire more moderate Democrats to be so skeptical of him as they are, outside of tribalist factionalization and the refusal to fight Hogan on his out-and-out lies because of concerns about being unpopular. That is the real crime here. Spinelessness.

He is a pragmatic, harm reduction minded Democrat with some political sympathies to the Bernie wing. The Bernie people are souring on him because he isn’t an ideologue, the moderates don’t like him because the Democratic party wrote off this election by July when their guy didn’t win the primary, and the entire rest of the state has just bought into this moderate hero myth.

There is a profoundly racial character to Hogan’s campaign, as well. Jealous isn’t a “real Marylander” because he’s in Baltimore (and as we all know, western Maryland is the only smart population here because they voted for Hogan and he cut a toll!), he’s never had a “real job” (outside of running one of the most important civil rights organizations in American history), and here’s a photo of him wearing... gasp!... a hoodie! How uppity... is this who you want to pay your taxes to, Maryland?

I’d sooner have Ehrlich back than Hogan.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies