BJP wins in 2004
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:29:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  BJP wins in 2004
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BJP wins in 2004  (Read 3061 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2018, 06:17:19 PM »

How long do you think they stay in power

I think they win again in 09 and then are thrown out in 2014

But then after being in power for 18 years the Gandhi Dynasty Probably is finished so the INC would probably be a much better party as well
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 01:09:08 AM »

But then after being in power for 18 years the Gandhi Dynasty Probably is finished so the INC would probably be a much better party as well
I kinda doubt that. After leading the party to by far its worst result in history in 2014, the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty still didn't die out.
Newo1981
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 09:59:20 AM »

I have a feeling Vajpayee would not have led the party into the 2009 GE. He would have led the country for about a decade by that time and would have been in his mid-80s.

Vajpayee was, by my understanding, a relatively moderate voice within the BJP and was also a distinguished and respected national statesman who had been in the public spotlight for over three decades. In other words, he was a known quality and the Indian people largely knew what they were getting when they voted for him

Much would depend, then, on whom his successor was and possibly how much time Vajpayee gave him or her to cultivate a profile and a following before the 2009 general election. If it were someone like L.K. Advani -who indeed did succeed Vajpayee as BJP leader after the 2004 general election -I think the BJP would have likely lost. Although Advani was well-known and already was a national figure and senior cabinet minister, the impression I get is that he is quite a polarizing and divisive figure

It's possible that another cabinet minister could have done a better job as a successor to Vajpayee and kept the BJP in office in 2009 but I really am not familiar with other possible leadership alternatives at the time. I think it would have been too early for Modi, who was still Gujarat Chief Minister and probably nneeded more time to put the controversies of the 2002 Gujarat riots behind him and cultivate the national image and profile that he subsequently did. I do believe, though, that the party would have struggled in the immediate aftermath of a Vajpayee departure

That having been said, and perhaps slightly in contradiction to my last point, I think Vajpayee miht have struggled had he decided to seek a third consecutive term as Prime Minister. 10 years is a long time for one incumbent to remain in office and Vajpayee might have run the risk of being perceived in the same way that Singh was in 2014 -a once good Prime Minister who had hung on for too long and was past his usefulness. Voters may have found it very tempting to opt for a change

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 12:39:18 AM »

In comparison with what occurred in real life, not a whole lot would change in terms of economic policy, as Singh & Vajpayee largely agreed with each other in regards to liberalizing the economy.

I strongly suspect that the BJP would lose the next election, as a corruption scandal would likely pop up during their term.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 02:00:54 PM »

In comparison with what occurred in real life, not a whole lot would change in terms of economic policy, as Singh & Vajpayee largely agreed with each other in regards to liberalizing the economy.

I strongly suspect that the BJP would lose the next election, as a corruption scandal would likely pop up during their term.

The problem was while Singh was PM, Sonia Gandhi was essentially India's version of Dick Cheney so early 90s Singh and PM Singh were very very different.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies