Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:48:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14
Author Topic: Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 29722 times)
UWS
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: January 29, 2019, 03:35:40 PM »
« edited: January 29, 2019, 03:46:37 PM by UWS »

Dillon's Debate Answers

1. If we get to a real mess at the convention, yes. But of course, I intend to select the right conservative running mate to keep all the wings of the Republican Party together and to help us winning in November.

2. Here are my final 3 top choices for Vice-President : Florida Governor Claude Kirk, Michigan Governor George Romney and California Governor Ronald Reagan. Governor Kirk has once been a Democrat before becoming a Republican, which would help me to keep the moderate wing of our party. In addition, he is the first Republican Governor of Florida since the Reconstruction era, which will help us to flip Florida and to make more gains in the South, an area that is very likely to decide the winner of this presidential election. Governor Romney would be a perfect running mate to flip Michigan and he has the necessary business experience to emphasize our message on economic issues by promoting a message of economic prosperity for all Americans through the promotion of free enterprise, small government, tax reform and opportunity. And finally, Governor Reagan would help us to keep the conservative wing of our party and he would help us to win back California, an important battleground state of 40 electoral votes, and to make us competitive in the West and in the south.

3. Both Johnson and Kennedy are sharing the same big government philosophy that raises taxes, increases the size of government and kills jobs. They both want to undermine the American people's Second Amendment rights and take away their right to self defense. But we will prove that we are the clear alternative to the record of disapointment of the last few years by championing free enterprise and small government and protecting the Second Amendment. And also, do you know that President Johnson was so reluctant on advancing Civil Rights for African Americans before doing so? Well, we are clear on this issue, we want civil rights for all Americans, no matter your ethnicity, your origins or your religious beliefs.

And I will adopt a 50 state strategy. I will not abandon any state and you know why? Because I'm running for President to represent all the American people and that is the duty of a President to represent 100 % of all the people, including those who did not vote for you.

4. Here's my top 5 list : Richard Nixon, G. Harrold Carswell, Clement Haynsworth, William E. Miller and Spiro Agnew.

Nixon would be a decent choice for SCOTUS because of his good judgement as he voted in favor of civil rights for minorities and we all know that the rights defended by the Constitution of the United States belongs to all Americans. Carswell and Haynsworth are strong defenders of the Second Amendment and of the right of the unborn to live. As we all know that Miller was Senator Goldwater's running mate, we also know that after serving in the United States Army during World War II he later helped prosecute German war criminals at the Nuremberg trials, which is a strong resume. When it comes to Agnew, he not only practiced law but he is also a Governor and so he understands that we must grant more power to the states and respect those state powers and that government is not the answer to everything.

5. Thank you for hosting this debate. My friends, this election is the most important in our lifetime. This campaign is based on this major question : do you want four more years of big government, national division and international insecurity or do you want a bright future through full-employment, permanent economic prosperity, free enterprise, civil rights for all Americans, stronger and modernized U.S. military and strong diplomacy to help our country to overcome its foreign policy challenges and to win the Cold War. My campaign offers the latter option and that's why I ask for Republican delegates at our national convention in Miami Beach for their vote and that's why I ask for your vote, my fellow Americans because I have the right experience to get us there. As Secretary of Treasury who cut taxes with President Kennedy, as a member of the Excomm during the Cuban missile crisis and as a soldier who served our country during the Pacific War, during World War II, I know what it takes to keep our country strong and safe and to get our country to prosperity and keep our nation together. Because our main goal is to restore the American Dream.

Thank you.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #276 on: January 29, 2019, 05:43:26 PM »

Barry Goldwater announces his running mate in Orlando Florida
Fellow supporters it is so glad to be here in the Sunshine State again. Today is a historical speech not just because I am announcing my running mate but it’s a historical one nonetheless!  Me and Dillion do not have the amount of delegates to be nominated for the Republican nomination and with that said that is why I am out here in announcing this news.

So ladies and gentleman getting ready for the next Vice President Of the United States and the first ever Female Vice President Margent Chase Smith!!

*The Crowd was shocked but cheered loudly*
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #277 on: January 29, 2019, 09:30:56 PM »

Goldwater debate answers part -
1.Im not dropping out because I don’t think Douglas Dillion is conservative  enough to lead the party. His history for the other party will be enough to damage his candidacy and give the presidency to Robert Kennedy.

Some of us have to work hard to be on this stage and campaign and campaign and actually listen to the people while Dillion joins in all of the sudden and is just givien the nomination? I don’t think so!

We don’t need a establishment hijacking of this party like what happened in the 30s and 40s which gave us 5 straight Presidental victories for the Democrats.

We need a person that speaks for the people not the bankers.

2.I believe Ms Smith is a good enough  compromise for the people who are not in interested in this campaign and I respect her hard work in the senate and think she will be a great history maker for this country.

I believe her vision of wanting to put a man on the moon and build a colony there is very similar to mine and and we also believe that social security and Medicare are broken and need to be fixed without having to raise taxes on people.

I think together as a ticket we could ride to a historical victory
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #278 on: January 29, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2019, 10:44:02 PM by UWS »

Dillon's rebuttal to Senator Goldwater during the debate

Well if Senator Goldwater thinks that I'm not conservative enough to lead the party, I think he has a problem with the facts. I am the only one on this stage who cut taxes along with President Kennedy, which brought our country to prosperity and brought our unemployment at its lowest rate in history and encouraged job creation thanks to the promotion of free enterprise, small government and a stronger purchasing power to our people. And by the way, Senator, there is only one person on this stage who in 1964 voted against these tax cuts who were proven to be productive and that is you. And I guess that is one of the reasons why you lost so badly to President Johnson in a landslide in the 1964 election because your vote against these tax cuts have disappointed some Republican conservative voters who either stayed home or voted for Johnson. The moreover that Senator Goldwater supports abortion, which is taking away from unborn children their right to live. So if there is anyone on this stage who isn't conservative enough to lead this party, it's you, not me.

And when it comes to my history of working for the Kennedy Administration, it is rather an advantage than a disadvantage because I know what it takes to bring the American people together and to bring Republicans and Democrats together in order to get things done. But instead of being willing to bring both parties to work together, Senator Goldwater is seeing the Democrats as ennemies. He is seeing a very important part of our people as ennemies. You cannot win votes with that kind of attitude. We must not see any fraction of the American people as ennemies even though we disagree on certain issues. This country has been divided for too long and we need a unifier to lead our party as well as this country, not a divider and partisan hack. No matter our beliefs, our political affiliations or our origins, we are all Americans and we all have a common goal : restoring the American Dream and leading our country to victory against America's foes. I have that experience of getting both parties to work together and America needs that kind of experience in order to get things done.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #279 on: January 29, 2019, 10:29:30 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2019, 10:40:46 PM by UWS »

Dillon's VP announcement in Tampa, Florida
Thank you my friends!

I am here for one of the most important moments of this campaign. I am here to announce who will be my running mate and the next Vice-President of the United States of America. This is a man who proudly served our country as Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps during World War II and the Korean War. This is a leader who managed to make remarkable gains for the Republican Party in the South by becoming the first Republican Governor of Florida in 90 years, since the Reconstruction Era. This is a reformer who defended the interests of the people of Florida by lowering their taxes, defending their Second Amendment rights and making the Sunshine State a promised land for the Cuban exiles who flew tyranny, opression, poverty and terror in Fidel Castro's Cuba. This is a man who knows through his executive experience that we must respect the powers of the states and that the government is not the answer to all of our problems and who is an unapolegetic champion of small government and tax reform, just like me, for the sake of America's prosperity.

My friends, my fellow Americans, I introduce you to the next Vice President of the United States of America, your governor, Claude Kirk!
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #280 on: January 29, 2019, 10:52:15 PM »

Goldwater debate answers part 2
3:I have my own 50 state strategy.  I think if I wanna win I need to connect and tell my side of the story to everyone across all these great United States. That I am a different candidate than who I was back in 1964. 

I think we need to try to hold on to Alaska as not a lean Republican state but a solid Republican State.
We need to try to flip most of the south by promoting the amazing people who have really kick started productions of peaches in Georgia,Oranges in Florida and corn and grain in Arkansas. 

4.I have a shortlist for that also. My top choices are Malcolm Henry Friendly,Richard Nixon and William Requinest are my top choices for the Supreme Court.

I want someone who honors the constitution, fights for civil rights and the 2nd amendment and to protect from goverment from getting bigger and bigger.

These men do all of that and will prove to be the best representatives of this country’s justice system.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #281 on: January 30, 2019, 10:14:54 AM »

Governor John Connally's Response to Dillion's Vice-President
Arlington, VA on June 25th, 1968

Just last night, Former Sectary Douglas Dillion while acting like he is the Republican nominee announced his choice for Vice-President. This ticket could not be any worse for this nation. Governor Claude Kirk of Florida, one of the most inexperienced vice-presidential choices of All Time. Kirk has served as governor of Florida for less than a year and had no prior position to that. Kirk has officially used his office as a stepping-stone to further his career. The voters who backed Kirk in 1966 will not be happy with that news that they have had their backs turned on them by their governor. Truly, this choice might have just put Florida in play for the Kennedy campaign and I and Robert Kennedy will be winning those voters over that feel wronged by Governor Kirk's using the governor's office as a stepping stone.

Choosing Kirk shows how clearly desperate the Dillion campaign is at winning the nomination and then being in play in the south but with that choice, they have a clear difference between the two campaigns. One ticket has both executive and legislative experience while the other doesn't have either. I have more experience than both Kirk and Dillion combined. I served as Governor of Texas, I have served as Sectary of Navy under President Kennedy and I served in the Navy against the authorians trying to take over the world.

Not only is this ticket obviously not experienced enough to be making decisions for the whole country but Kirk further hurts Dillion's argument that he is the most Kennedy esque candidate. Not only is that an obvious lie, Dillion is running against the brother of John F. Kennedy and is running against a man that was shot alongside the president but Dillion just choose a vice-president that used everything in his power to give Florida to Nixon in 1960. Kirk helps further expose Dillion's lies about being the closest to Kennedy.

Kirk is not fit to be Vice-President, I don't even think for the vice-presidential nomination, and a Dillion-Kirk ticket is unfit to be in the White House. Republicans, vote against Kirk at the convection, and Americans, vote against Dillion-Kirk at the ballot box.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #282 on: January 30, 2019, 11:21:48 AM »

Dillon's response to Connally in Green Bay, Wisconsin

Recently, Governor Connally has questionned my running mate Claude Kirk's ability to be Vice-Presdient and his experience. Well, I need to remind you Governor, that when JFK ran in 1960, he had very short experience and yet he got elected. Maybe experience matters, but judgement matters even more.  Let me remind you, Governor, that it was under your watch as Secretary of the Navy that the Bay of Pigs has failed in April 1961. Do you know why it failed? Because you have failed to provide the invasion the sort of US support that it would have needed.  For example, the Cuban Air Force was supposed to be destroyed by US-backed air strikes.  This was not done completely and the Cuban Air Force was able to sink some of the invasion force’s ships and shoot down its airplanes. The U.S. did not want to openly support the invasion and was not willing/able to help. Meanwhile, along with Senator Kennedy, I served as a member of the Excomm during the Cuban missile crisis. Not only that, but I also served as U.S. Ambassador to France and I also served our country in the U.S. Navy during the Pacific War and Claude Kirk served our country as Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps during World War II and the Korean War. So we know what it takes to keep America safe, which requires a strong military, which is something you guys want to undermine through deep cuts in the military, thus handing victory to the Soviet Union in the Cold War.

And frankly, Governor Connally is wrong when he said that Governor Kirk used his gubernatorial office as a stepping-stone to further his career. When he ran for Governor in 1966, he did not expect to be selected as my running mate. This is like saying that Richard Nixon used his senatorial office as a stepping-stone to further his career when he was selected as Eisenhower's running mate in 1952 only 2 years after being elected Senator. He accepted my VP offer because he is a great patriot who loves his country and was called for service for our country and is ready to serve all the American people.

You also have a situation when you talk about « betrayal ». In fact, you betrayed the people of Texas as you have proven yourself, during your time as Govenor, to be a big spender and so every biennium the Legislature had to raise taxes. The moreover that Governor Connally has raised sales taxes, which deprived Texans of their purchasing power and their jobs, thus undermining consumption. The people of Texas and the people of America want less government and less taxes and that's exactly what I provided as Secretary of the Treasury when we lowered taxes under JFK's watch, bringing the national economy into prosperous times.

And you also told Republicans to vote against Kirk at the convention. It is not in your power to dictate the choice of the Republican Party to select who to nominate for President and for Vice-President. It is the choice of the people of America. And they will select a ticket of real leadership which, unlike the Democratic ticket, will reduce taxes and spending to strengthen our economy, reinforce and modernize our military and our alliances in order to keep our country safe, win the Cold War. We will also fight for the advancement of civil rights and make America the leader in space exploration by sending men on the Moon next year and sending a manned-space mission on Mars by 1980.

In short, we will fight to move America forward.
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #283 on: January 30, 2019, 12:22:55 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith Holds Rally, Accepting Her Place on the Goldwater-Smith Ticket

“Well, I’m sure you’ve heard the news. The Republican ticket is going to be history making, with geographical, ideological, and gender diversity. I was a little surprised when Senator Goldwater asked me to join the ticket, but I am so grateful for the opportunity. This is proof the Republicans have a better vision for the country, one that is open to debate on the issues, one that will stand strong against our enemies, and one that will not forget its people. I’m excited to get back on the campaign trail, and serve as your Vice President!”
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #284 on: January 30, 2019, 01:30:26 PM »

Goldwater responses to Douglas Dilion’s debate response
Well Mr Dillion I never said I saw the Democrats as enemies and I am willing to work with them if o were elected President.

However the tax cuts that went into effect in 1964 were short term in growth. Also there was massive spending that come into being and the goverment grew for more than 1% for the first time since the 40s.  Also take into the fact that the deficit has grown overtime and not to say this is your fault Douglas. It’s the fault of the current administration and I feel like that the Mr Kennedy will do the wrong thing and raise taxes and continue the massive spending of LBJ.

Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #285 on: February 01, 2019, 09:03:31 AM »

Seventh Republican Debate between Former Secretary of Treasury C. Douglas Dillion and Former Senator Barry Goldwater at Pomona College in Pomona, California on July 17th

Cronkite : "Welcome each and every viewer to the Seventh Republican Presidential Debate between Former Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater and Former Secretary of Treasury C. Douglas Dillon of Massachusetts at Pomona College in Pomona, California. I'm your moderator Walter Cronkite of CBS News. We ask for all those in the Audience tonight to hold their applause and remain quiet for the Duration of their debate and respect each candidate as they answer. Now, let's start debating.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Cronkite : "And that will be the end of this debate. We again want to thankPomona College for hosting this debate. We hope you tune in to watch the Eighth and final Republican Debate on August 1st at Fort Lauderdale City College in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Thank you and Good Night."
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #286 on: February 01, 2019, 08:05:44 PM »

Kennedy responds to Dillon

I have nothing but respect for the Secretary, but I do truly hope he is not advocating for another invasion of Cuba. We don't need to try something like that again. He is aware that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting things to turn out differently?

As far as ExComm goes, the Secretary was not the only one serving on that. I was there too, and I recall the Secretary consistently siding with the hawks and favouring an invasion. I admit that I did initially, but I can around to realising what a terrible mistake that would be. Moreover, the Secretary had very little, if any,  role in any decision making during the Crisis. The Secretary of State will support me on that.

Moreover, Governor Kirk has only been serving for a single year. The Secretary has made a poor choice. I am aware of my lack of executive experience, which is why i selected a man who has governed the state of Texas since 1963, and was re-elected in 1966. Governor Kirk on the other hand has barely served for a year, held no prior office, and is in a childish feud with Congressman Cramer over control of the Republican Party in Florida.

Furthermore Mr Secretary, I would ask that you stop invoking my brother's name to score political points. Have you no sense of decency sir? You are running against the brother of a man who was assassinated, and John was wounded  badly in the same situation. Please stop invoking my brother's name, Secretary. It is extremely disrespectful to rub in my face about just how close you were to my brother, and my entire family asks that you stop invoking his name for political points.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #287 on: February 01, 2019, 10:13:07 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2019, 10:36:45 PM by UWS »

Dillon's debate answers

1. Thank you, Walter, for hosting this debate and thank you Pomona College for your wonderful hospitality.

When it comes to your question, Walter, I honestly find Governor Connally's attitude very disappointing because it shows how much he's ready to play the politics of fear against us just for political gain instead of running on the issues that are really concerning the American people when it comes to our future. The moreover that Senator Kennedy claimed that I was advocating another invasion of Cuba, but that is simply not true. I was just mentioning the mistakes of the past that explained the reasons of the failure of the Bay of Pigs invasion. When it comes to the so-called « lack of experience », that is the only argument that they have against my running mate. I'm getting tired of hearing about his short experience and let me say something : Governor Kirk got more votes running for Governor of Florida than Joe Connally got running for Governor of Texas. The moreover that as Governor of Florida, Kirk has improved the Sunshine State’s recreation, tourism and business climate without raising taxes, unlike Governor Connally who has shown time after time after time his incapacity to demonstrate any sign of fiscal responsibility as the Texas legislature had to raise taxes every biennium and as he increased sales taxes during his time as Governor of Texas.

And Governor Kirk actually knows what it takes to handle foreign policy issues, for example, as he served our country in the United States Marine Corps during World War II and the Korean War just like I served our country in the U.S. Navy during World War II, served as vice chairman of the Council on Foreign Relations and served America as U.S. Ambassador to France and as member of the Excomm. So we both have the necessary experience to keep America safe and to make America victorious in the Cold War which requires strong and modernized U.S. military and strong alliances while Senator Kennedy wants to aweaken our military and cut defense spending and is suggesting surrender in Vietnam which would hand massive victory to the Soviets and allow them to use the Asian continent as a base to launch a military offensive against the United States.

The Kennedy/Connally ticket is suggesting more of the same through bigger government and higher taxes, meanwhile the Dillon/Kirk ticket is the team of change that will create jobs and prosperity through lower taxes, small government, fiscal responsibility, free trade and energy independence. I have brought that leadership as Secretary of Treasury, Claude Kirk brought that leadership as Governor of Florida and we will bring that leadership again as President and Vice-President of the United States.

2. With pleasure, Walter. [laughs]

Well first of all, Senator Goldwater is a good patriotic man, there is no doubt about it.

I am proud of his military service, I appreciate the way he excited a very important part of our base during the 1964 election as well as his contribution in the revival of American conservatism. I voted for him in 1964 and he surely would have made a better President than Lyndon B. Johnson. And he supported the Civil Rights Act of 1968 because that is the best way to improve the living conditions to all Americans and to spread opportunity and civil rights for the minorities that were mistreated and exploited for too long. No matter what happens, I will continue to have admiration and respect for Senator Goldwater.

3. We understand the concerns of the Brazilian people, but the government in place there is surely better than a Castro-style regime. The Brazilian government took a series of pro-American policies in both the foreign and domestic agendas by cutting ties with Cuba and China, by sending troops to Santo Domingo in support for the 1965 invasion of the Dominican Republic and by defending the creation of an Inter-American Peace Force, a Pan-American military force whose main function is to intervene in any nation of the region where there is danger of a communist revolution. So we have a strong, strategic and effective relation with Brazil and if there were to be regime change there, we better get a centre-right or a centre-left government there instead of a communist regime like Castro's.

4. I would support that treaty, because that is the best way to prevent World War III. As long as the Soviet Union respects that treaty and actually reduces its nuclear weapons and stops bullying our allies, this will be a first step towards global peace.

5. Thank you my friends. Here we are, in the great state of California, one of the largest battleground states of the 1968 election. Who knows, this election might come down to California where Governor Reagan fixed the state by reducing the size of government and the fiscal burden, by balancing the budget and by defending your rights for self defense. What Governor Reagan did for California I will do for America. Every single vote counts and the 1960 election has demonstrated it and that is why I ask for your vote because the stakes of this election are so high that the voice of every single American voter deserves to be heard and that's why I intend to work with Republicans and Democrats in order to get things done. Thank you.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #288 on: February 02, 2019, 12:19:07 PM »

Goldwater debate answers part 1
1.I will  endorse Dillion if he ends up with the nomination because I don’t want 4 more years of Democratic rule in the White House however I am still focusing on finding a way to win the nomination.
As for a cabinet position I think that is too far away in the future to think about that.  We shall see what happens.

2:Well that we both served in the same war together. And we know the horrific scene that is. I admire his fight for free enterprise and market values plus his fight for a constitutional limited goverment and I admire that we have the same passion about wanting to see communism fall between it reaches the main part of the Western world.  I also his admire his way of fighting and debating. Sir it’s been fun to be debate with you if I could be honest *He laughs*

Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #289 on: February 05, 2019, 01:39:13 PM »

Goldwater debate answers part 2
3.I view milltary involvement as last resort when it comes to what’s going on in Brazil.   One of my messages of this campaign was Amercia mostly focusing on Amercia’s problems.   I support these protest authoritarianism as I believe the people should rise up if any sort of goverment in any country
If the goverment started to become full on tyranny

With that said I want to let the people of their own country try to deal with it without the US trying to get involved.

4:I believe nuclear weapons should be the last resort which hopefully never happens.  I will be willing to giving up our nuclear weapons in a detrene way and make sure they we try to end this conflict in the most peacefully way possible.

5.Thank you so much for letting me be here to tell you why Amercia should be me and Chase Smith a chance.  A decade ago we were in no wars and we cut spending and had a balanced budget 3 times.

Now look at where we are now. It’s almost like that never happened. So please Republicans trust me as a person who has been here’s before and a well respected and historical woman on my side to get us out of this mess and bring Amercia into a new decade with prosperity.  Thank you and good night
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #290 on: February 06, 2019, 01:34:55 PM »

Eighth and Final Republican Debate between Former Secretary of Treasury C. Douglas Dillion and Former Senator Barry Goldwater at Fort Lauderdale City College in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on August 1st

Reasoner : "Welcome each and every viewer to the Eighth and Final Republican Presidential Debate between Former Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater and Former Secretary of Treasury C. Douglas Dillon of Massachusetts at Fort Lauderdale City College in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I'm your moderator Harry Reasoner of CBS News. We ask for all those in the Audience tonight to hold their applause and remain quiet for the Duration of their debate and respect each candidate as they answer. Now, let's start debating."

Reasoner : ""And that will be the end of this debate. We again want to thank Fort Lauderdale City College for hosting this debate. We hope you tune in to watch our coverage of the 1968 Republican National Convention in Miami Beach, Florida from August 5th-8th. Thank you and Good Night."
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #291 on: February 06, 2019, 09:14:18 PM »

Kennedy Adresses the Sentencing of Truong Dinh Dzu and the March of the 100, 000

The arrest of Truong Dinh Dzu is nothing less than an unconscionable violation of civil and human rights. Whatever our personal feelings, we have no choice but to condemn such egregious violations. Mr Truong was a legitimate political candidate who was likely sentenced on trumped-up charges.

I cannot find any way this could be justified. I call on the South Vietnamese government to free Mr Truong without hesitation. Should there be consequences? Undoubtedly. As Edward Murrow said, we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home. If the South Vietnamese government fails to release Mr Truong in a timely manner, then consequences should be felt.

As far as Brazil, the dictatorship there has been arresting people arbitrarily, and I would argue that the charges for many of the arrested students just conveniently appeared. I would not be surprised to learn if the arrested students were tortured or murdered on the government's orders.

Do we want a communist government in Brazil? No. We also do not want a government that violates the civil and human rights of its citizens, as well as the fundamental right to protest. The United States must stand for democracy the world over, and support of a cruel dictatorship cannot be justified.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #292 on: February 08, 2019, 12:46:48 AM »
« Edited: February 08, 2019, 10:08:32 AM by UWS »

Dillon's debate answers

1. Absolutely, Senator Goldwater is very qualified for a Cabinet Office. He would be terrific choice for Secretary of Treasury, for example, as he has a clear record in defending the cause of free market and small government as well the golden rule. I could also see him Secretary of the Veterans Affairs as he served in the military like I did and so he understands the troubles that our veterans are now living.

2. I would support the idea of further exploration of our solar system within the next few decades because to remain competitive in space exploration and must remain the leader in this domain. We can't allow the Soviet Union to overtake us, we have to keep the advantage.

3. Even though I don't agree with Trương Đình Dzu on some issues such as what needs to be done to end the Vietnam War, I understand that his arrest and his Hard Labor sentence is a profound violation of human rights and as President I will call for his release because we all know that a dictatorship often starts by the imprisonment of political opposition. We are great allies with South Vietnam but they will have to understand that their attitude can decrease our allies' trust and winning the Vietnam War partly requires keeping the trust of our allies because it is only together that we can win that conflict.

4. I will definitely support the Republican nominee because I don't want four more years of the same failed policies such as big government, higher taxes and national division.

5. Of course I would challenge Senator Kennedy and President Johnson to a Debate because all voters across the country deserve to have the opportunity to see the differences between us and Senator Kennedy and President Johnson and I would also accept to challenge Kennedy and Johnson to a debate in order to tell the American people from the stage how much the policies they are both defending - higher taxes, big government, wasteful spending - have failed and that I have the best background and plan to fix America. I would equally accept that our running mates debate each other in order to show which one is the best prepared for the job of Vice-President of the United States. And I think there should be 3 presidential debates as well as 1 or 2 vice-presidential debates. As I was a little disappointed that there wasn't any debate between President Johnson and Senator Goldwater in 1964 and I guess that is one of the reasons why we did so badly that year because the fact that there was no debate at that time did not give Goldwater this great priviledge to distinguish himself from Johnson, which makes me believe that the process at that time was not fair. So this year in 1968 these debates will be great moments of democracy that will give the American people the power to make up their minds and make their democratic choice.

6. Because I have the best experience for the job of President of the United States. I served as Secretary of the Treasury for 4 years and cut taxes, which brought massive job creation and led this economy to the prosperity we are now living. So I know what it takes to grow this economy and create jobs which requires keeping the government small and promoting free enterprise. I served our country in the U.S. Navy during World War II, was vice chairman of the Council on Foreign Relations, U.S. Ambassador to France and a member of the Excomm during the Cuban missile crisis. I know what it takes to keep America safe and win the Cold War, which requires a strong and modernized U.S. military and strong alliances. And I'm the only candidate on this stage who can defeat Kennedy and Johnson in the general election and we can't afford four more years of the same failed policies of the last few years. And that is why, delegates, I ask for your vote at the Republican National Convention in 4 days for the sake of party unity and victory in the general election and for America's progress. Thank you.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #293 on: February 08, 2019, 11:59:24 AM »

Dillon's Campaign Schedule from June to August

Dillon spent the rest of June campaigning in southern states like Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina and Arkansas on economic issues, free market, gun rights and civil rights.

Dillon spent time with his family in Boston, Massachusetts to celebrate Independence Day on July 4th. He spent a half week campaigning in California before stumping in other western states such as Oregon, Washington, Nevada and Colorado on foreign policy, space exploration, civil rights for the rest of July. When asked about the scrutiny about his running mate, Dillon declared that in choosing Claude Kirk as his running mate he has chosen for the future by selecting a man who is representing a new generation of leaders, declaring that « Senator Kennedy looked back, but I looked forward. »

In early August, Dillon campaigns in Florida at the approach of the 1968 Republican National Convention in Miami Beach, Florida, trying to convince as many delegates as possible.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #294 on: February 08, 2019, 01:24:30 PM »

President Lyndon Johnson announces independent campaign

Quote from: Restricted
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #295 on: February 10, 2019, 04:10:29 PM »

What Goldwater did part 1
Goldwater campaigned around the South Florida area on why the RNC should select him to be the nominee and how he will bring prosperity to Amercia.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #296 on: February 10, 2019, 04:43:05 PM »

Goldwater debate answers part 1
1.Well maybe to a top economic advisor position because we both have ambitions for the free enterprise system and people that the people not the goverment create jobs and wealth in this county.

If not that then maybe NASA administrator because we both seem to have a share goal when it comes to space exploration for the United States

2.Yes I would definitely agree to debates with Senator Kennedy.  I think it would be a nice discussion between the two of us.

I disagree with his policies but I do respect the man himself and would love to put our differences and work side by side if I am elected president.  We both served in the milltary in World War II in the Pacific area.

I will be the best candidate for the Republican side as President to work with the Democrats on a bipartisan matter on issues. I fully believe that we can put differences aside and get to work on making Amercia better.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #297 on: February 11, 2019, 08:24:57 PM »

Kennedy/Connally '68

Schedule for Senator Kennedy

June 12-16: Kennedy campaigned in industrial states with Vice President Humphrey these days, attempting to capitalise on the support of organised labor. he touted his plans for an increased minimum wage, as well as declaring that he would look to cut the taxes of the middle and working classes in the United States.

He also continued hsi full-throated defence of the War on Poverty, declaring it "A fight that must be seen through."

June 17-22: Kennedy campaigned in Washington, Oregon and California with Senator McCarthy and Former Governor Brown. Again, Kennedy hit on his themes of progressivism and government reform, vowing to establish an Independent Commission Against Corruption to investigate corruption from elected officials.

He also declared that he would form an Evironmental Protection Agency, as well as passing a Clean Water Act and expanding the Clean Air Act. He also stated that: "Of course i support energy independence. What I don't support is when that energy makes acid rain fall from the skies, choke our cities with smog and make our rivers unusable to humans. We need to protect our environment."

June 23-28: Kennedy used these days to campaign in the northeast, once again hitting on governmental reform and oversight. Again, he also hit Dillon on his lack of experience (in particular highlighting that Dillon had never served in elected office) and Goldwater on his opposition to the CRA and VRA. He contrasted this with his time as Attorney-General and Senator, as well as Connally's time as Navy Secretary and Governor.

June 28-July 2nd: Kennedy hit Texas these days, campaigning through the state on his education plan, incolving public funcding of community college degrees, and the establishment of a Presidential Scholarship Fund for those who achieved highly in secondary schools in the US. He also held a couple of joint rallies with Governor Connally in Dallas and Austin.

July 3-4: Kennedy returned home to New York to celebrate Independence Day with his wife and children.

Jule 5-14: Senatorial duties.

July 15-20: Kennedy campaigned in Florida with Senator Smathers, highlighting that Kirk was now running for Vice President aftter having only served the people of Florida for a year, and implied that he was only using them as a stepping stone for higher office. He also made a visit to Cape Canveral Air Force Station, giving a speech on his space policy

"Space is the final frontier. From here at Cape Canaveral, many firsts were achieved in space. The first US satellite, the first US astronaut in orbit, the first US two-man and three-man crews in space and the first lunar landing. We need to go further. My administration will infuse billions of dollars into NASA's budget, and we will put a man on the moon by the end of 1969. We will develop new and better spacecraft so our astronauts can stay safe when exploring the great black yonder. We will win the space race!"

July 21-28: Return to Washington DC for Senatorial duties.

July 29-August 1: Campaign in the plains states with Senator McGovern. He once again touted his plan to open commerce with the eastern bloc states, creating new markets for American goods and creating a way to break up the Warsaw Pact.

August 2-4: Travel to Washington DC for conference between Democratic leaders. Also attend to Senate duties.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #298 on: February 11, 2019, 10:41:39 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2019, 10:48:51 PM by UWS »

Dillon's response to Senator Kennedy in Kansas City, Missouri

Recently, Senator Kennedy attacked me, claiming that I don't have the experience to lead as I have not been elected to any political office. Well, it may be true that I have not occupied any elected office before, but let me remind you, Senator, that Dwight D. Eisenhower too has never been elected to any political office before being elected President of the United States in 1952 and yet he ended the Korean War in 1953, balanced the budget not only once but three times, he sponsored and signed the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 that gave birth to America's interstate highway system, he sponsored the Civil Rights Act of 1957 that provided support for racial equality following the Supreme Court's 1954 Brown decision. And after the Soviet Union launched Sputnik in 1957, Eisenhower authorized the establishment of NASA, which contributed to America's success in the space race.

And I actually have experience related to the issues facing America on economic issues due to my experience as Secretary of Treasury when I cut taxes and on foreign policy issues as I served our country in the U.S. Navy during the Pacific War, served as vice chairman of the Council on Foreign Relations, U.S. Ambassador to France and member of the Excomm like you. So I know what it takes to keep America safe, which requires a strong military, strong alliances and strong American leadership, which is the contrast of your agenda. And I know what it takes to keep this economy growing, which requires cutting taxes for all Americans and keeping America's status as the best place in the world to start a business, which is the contrast of your policies.

So, my fellow Americans, you can count on me to bring real leadership at the White House, to lead this country, to bring prosperity back to this country, to keep America safe and to win the Cold War.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #299 on: February 12, 2019, 09:26:53 AM »

Kennedy in Dallas

"So We all heard that the Secretary compared himself to President Eisenhower, right?

The sheer gall that one must have to compare themselves to a man of President Eisenhower's stature speaks volumes about the Secretary's ego and sense of self-importance. He has shown his arrogance before by claiming that he was my brother's closest advisor, when he was nothing of the sort, but this is another level.

Now I have the utmost respect for the Secretary, as I have said before, but to repeatedly compare himself to one of the greatest men in the nation is beyond the pale.

What I continue to find most offensive is the fact that he continues to carry on about my brother. I would ask you to refrain from invoking my brother as a way to score cheap political points, Mr Secretary. My brother was gunned down, and my running mate was wounded in that same assassination. He is not a political card to be played, expecially when you are running against his brother and a man who was badly wounded.

So please, Mr Secretary,  control your ego. 
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies