Kavanaugh accused of sexually assaulting classmate in high school
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 06:14:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kavanaugh accused of sexually assaulting classmate in high school
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 34
Author Topic: Kavanaugh accused of sexually assaulting classmate in high school  (Read 42536 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: September 16, 2018, 09:28:52 PM »

What are the chances Kavanaugh's nomination doesn't go forward and Republican's fail to nominate anyone before the midterms?

1 in 100?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #451 on: September 16, 2018, 09:30:59 PM »

Ford Passed a Polygraph Test Administered by a Former FBI Agent in July, the Post Reports

According to The Washington Post, Ford acted on the advice of her lawyer, Debra Katz, and took a polygraph test administered by a former FBI agent in July. Though Ford had decided not to come forward, the story was soon leaked, with increasing details leading to her identity. She told The Washington Post, “Now I feel like my civic responsibility is outweighing my anguish and terror about retaliation.”

https://heavy.com/news/2018/09/christine-blasey-ford/

Sexual Assaulter Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. Who next?? Roy Moore !
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #452 on: September 16, 2018, 09:31:36 PM »

What do you guys think the odds are that the nomination is withdrawn/rescinded?

The odds are pretty low for one reason, Trump. He has doubled down on Kavanaugh, and I can see him sending an ultimatum(you dont put my guy up, you dont get a Supreme Court majority) to the senate Republicans. If he passes, its by a 51-49 vote.

I think it is highly unlikely that in the event Kavanaugh goes down, Trump will refuse to nominate someone else.

Of course, he would prefer Kavanaugh - that's why he nominated him in the first place.

But Trump has a very high personal stake in getting someone on the court who he thinks will rule in favor of himself with regards to things that come up from the Mueller investigation, such as constitutional questions about pardons. It is very much in Trump's personal interest to try to do whatever he can to rig the Supreme Court in his own favor for these cases, and the court will be more favorable to him with someone he appoints than with an empty seat. Depending of course of the particular details of what Mueller turns up and what future indictments are made, Trump may be essentially in a similar position of a criminal defendant (or father of a criminal defendant, etc) that is allowed to pick their own judge/jury. Perhaps for some reason they don't get their first choice, but that doesn't mean they just pout and say, "ok, then I won't choose at all, you just give me whatever Judge."
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #453 on: September 16, 2018, 09:44:15 PM »

If there are rumblings about him not having the votes to be confirmed, I wouldn't necessarily be surprised to see Trump pull him quickly. Then again, he stuck with Roy Moore until the end.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #454 on: September 16, 2018, 09:44:17 PM »

Judge says it never happened:  https://www.weeklystandard.com/john-mccormack/kavanaugh-classmate-named-in-letter-strongly-denies-allegations-of-misconduct

There were notes from Ford's therapy about the assault; they said that there were four people there.  Ford claims it was a mistake in the transcription, which is possible.  https://www.weeklystandard.com/john-mccormack/professor-christine-blasey-ford-woman-alleging-misconduct-by-brett-kavanaugh-in-high-school-steps-forward

This is a 15 year old girl who comes running down some stairs, nearly hysterical, and locks herself in the bathroom.  There were a number of people there; somebody will remember that.  That generally doesn't happen at parties. 

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #455 on: September 16, 2018, 10:03:52 PM »

It's important not to misrepresent what was in the account. The account she gave never said she ran downstairs hysterical and locked herself in the bathroom, it says that made a few attempts to free herself from then me finally being able to get out of the room and then ran across the hall and locked herself in the bathroom. She then exited the bathroom and ran out of the house.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #456 on: September 16, 2018, 10:13:48 PM »

Judge says it never happened:  https://www.weeklystandard.com/john-mccormack/kavanaugh-classmate-named-in-letter-strongly-denies-allegations-of-misconduct

There were notes from Ford's therapy about the assault; they said that there were four people there.  Ford claims it was a mistake in the transcription, which is possible.  https://www.weeklystandard.com/john-mccormack/professor-christine-blasey-ford-woman-alleging-misconduct-by-brett-kavanaugh-in-high-school-steps-forward

This is a 15 year old girl who comes running down some stairs, nearly hysterical, and locks herself in the bathroom.  There were a number of people there; somebody will remember that.  That generally doesn't happen at parties. 

This is pathetic.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #457 on: September 16, 2018, 10:21:27 PM »

It's important not to misrepresent what was in the account. The account she gave never said she ran downstairs hysterical and locked herself in the bathroom, it says that made a few attempts to free herself from then me finally being able to get out of the room and then ran across the hall and locked herself in the bathroom. She then exited the bathroom and ran out of the house.

This was a small gathering, not a huge, wild party. No one heard music suddenly get loud in one room, or even heard noises like people scuffling or someone running down the hall? No one questioned someone from the gathering suddenly leaving unannounced?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #458 on: September 16, 2018, 10:22:38 PM »

Corker now joining Flake in the calls to postpone the vote.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #459 on: September 16, 2018, 10:26:15 PM »

I remembered the steps.  According to her account, they were quite noisy and other people talked to them.  Will anyone back that up? 

Okay, how did she exit the house?   She was upstairs.  Did anyone see her?     

Was there anyone else upstairs who might have seen something. Did anyone try to use the bathroom and found it locked?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #460 on: September 16, 2018, 10:27:55 PM »

I remembered the steps.  According to her account, they were quite noisy and other people talked to them.  Will anyone back that up? 

Was there anyone else upstairs who might have seen something. Did anyone try to use the bathroom and found it locked?

These would be useful questions to ask if we weren't talking about some drunk people 30 years ago.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #461 on: September 16, 2018, 10:28:04 PM »

This is pathetic.

I do agree that it is pathetic not to look for evidence to refute or support someone's claim. 
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #462 on: September 16, 2018, 10:31:39 PM »

You know it's getting bad when the Atlas thread about your Supreme Court pick is going on about what did or did not happen at a High School party.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #463 on: September 16, 2018, 10:32:30 PM »

These would be useful questions to ask if we weren't talking about some drunk people 30 years ago.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #464 on: September 16, 2018, 10:33:37 PM »

You know it's getting bad when the Atlas thread about your Supreme Court pick is going on about what did or did not happen at a High School party.

Critical Question at this point: Does Kavanaugh read Atlas?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #465 on: September 16, 2018, 10:36:14 PM »

Obviously this hit piece and the 'therapy' session was planned years in the future and planted in the past by a liberal terminator. It's the only explanation
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #466 on: September 16, 2018, 10:38:01 PM »

How else would he know if he has the endorsement of Senator Wulfric?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #467 on: September 16, 2018, 10:38:12 PM »

Fixed that bit for you. I'm sure you didn't want to mislead anyone
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #468 on: September 16, 2018, 10:39:00 PM »

As much as I want Kavanaugh to go down, a little part of me hopes there actually is a "Bart O'Kavanaugh" who turns out to be the real culprit.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #469 on: September 16, 2018, 10:41:50 PM »

Sooo, I'm just going to throw this out there, but the reason "the right to be believed" was a big part of the past few years is because in a lot of cases of sexual assault / rape, there is no other evidence. This stuff tends to happen away from people, away from cameras, away for all of that. And even in cases of rape where evidence may exist, not all women report it immediately for a whole host of legitimate reasons. I get that people want more to go on, but in many cases, there won't be. And I'd be careful saying "well then that's sad but it's not enough," because you're essentially writing off a massive number of cases of sexual abuse then. Even without hard evidence, other available information should take on a higher meaning - such as who they told and when.

So I'm sorry, but in these cases, her word is all you have. The fact that she told people about this in counseling way back in 2012 is critical here. Kavanaugh wasn't really on the public's radar then, so there is no reason for her to do that unless there is truth to this. But so far from conservatives, this doesn't seem to matter?
While I agree that rape is a unique crime in this sense, Virginia, that's precisely why so many of us tend to take a skeptic's attitude toward a rape accusation.

While there have been many false accusations or convictions of crimes as serious as or more serious than rape, at least there's some sort of EVIDENCE for said crimes.  With murder, you have a dead body.  With burglary, you have a broken door and stolen valuables.  With assault/battery, you have a black eye and bruises on the body.  

With rape (or attempted rape), there's obviously physical evidence (DNA from the unwanted invasion, torn clothes/underwear, etc.).  However, if the victim doesn't report it within a particular timeframe, the evidence goes away.  The body physically heals, the DNA washes away after showering, the unwanted clothes go in the garbage, and so forth.  Then, it becomes a purely he said/she said deal.  

I agree for criminal trials and what have you - we already have a standard, and in the end juries can decide if it's enough, but I think it would be wrong to apply that level of proof to something like a Senate confirmation for any office. This isn't affecting Kavanaugh's freedom, after all. If he is voted down, he just goes back to his other federal judgeship, which, quite frankly, is disturbing if this accusation is true.

As it stands now, he was already a flawed nominee who would have probably been a partisan justice (imo), but a possible rapist? Do Republicans really want to go down this path again? How many justices accused of sexual assault / attempted rape are they going to put on the Supreme Court?

The way I see it, they ought to start the process over with someone else if for no other reason than to maintain the public's faith in the USSC.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #470 on: September 16, 2018, 10:41:51 PM »

He probably does. Never underestimate a cunning legal expert.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #471 on: September 16, 2018, 10:46:29 PM »

So we just take an accuser at her word with no evidence or witnesses, label someone a rapist, and ruin their career?

I get the whole "victims should be believed", but if someone's life is going to be destroyed in this, there needs to be something from that time period to back it.

It is completely fair to ask these types of questions.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #472 on: September 16, 2018, 10:51:37 PM »

So we just take an accuser at her word with no evidence or witnesses, label someone a rapist, and ruin their career?

I get the whole "victims should be believed", but if someone's life is going to be destroyed in this, there needs to be something from that time period to back it.

Of course, an investigation should be conducted. A good proper investigation, including finding possible witnesses, giving the time and opportunity for both the accuser and judge Kavanaugh to prepare and testify. It would necessarily take time - given that we are not talking about a criminal trial, a few additional months for the current confirmation process should, probably, be enough.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #473 on: September 16, 2018, 10:56:00 PM »

If the Judiciary Committee actually conducts a proper investigation of this, and it exonerates Kavanaugh, I'll drop my other concerns related to the nominee and the process and endorse his confirmation.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #474 on: September 16, 2018, 10:56:15 PM »

Isn't the Democrats' argument precisely that we -should- be asking these type of questions, and gathering evidence and testimony toward addressing them?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies