Kavanaugh accused of sexually assaulting classmate in high school
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 04:29:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kavanaugh accused of sexually assaulting classmate in high school
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34
Author Topic: Kavanaugh accused of sexually assaulting classmate in high school  (Read 41981 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: September 18, 2018, 04:00:35 PM »

They are apparently talking about both being question by the other's lawyer.

I would hope that someone from the Senate would ask her, before this starts, if she could remember any additional details. 

Why wouldn't they ask her that as part of the questioning under oath?

It gives them a chance to verify the story.

Ford might remember some landmarks going to the house; they might be able to determine the location.  She might remember some of the other people at the party and they could be asked.

That could cut both ways, obviously.  Someone who was there could remember that Kavanaugh wasn't there, for instance, or remember Ford locking herself in the bathroom.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #776 on: September 18, 2018, 04:02:37 PM »

People just believe what they want to believe, Clarence Thomas was confirmed and so will this guy, and in the process help save many of muah red state dems Smiley.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #777 on: September 18, 2018, 04:07:20 PM »

I support whatever questioning Ford will consent to - open or closed session, senators or lawyers, etc - but some sort of hearing must occur if she expects to be seen as credible and truthful.

Also, Judge does not want to testify:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mark-judge-testify-kavanaugh-hearing_us_5ba15f8ae4b04d32ebfd8c01
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #778 on: September 18, 2018, 04:22:17 PM »

That fits the psychological profile of people who lie about sexual assault. They are usually looking for something other than getting the accused person in jail. In the case of the UVA false rape accuser, "Jackie", she wanted to win the affection of fellow coed Ryan Duffin. In many other cases, it's to cover up for sexual promiscuity. So they will only tell the people who they need to, to achieve their objective, but will resist attempts to take it to its logical conclusion, like (a) reporting it to the police (b) confronting the accused, or (c) going to trial.

Not directed at you, but I don't like to assign motivations.  The reason is that someone can come up with plausible motives.  We can assign all sorts of motives to Ford, Kavanaugh, Judge, but it won't prove anything.

I'm glad that did you did cite a case where the allegation was false.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #779 on: September 18, 2018, 04:58:39 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/18/kavanaugh-what-happens-geogetown-prep-828420

Okay.....local psychologist Beet, this mean anything to you?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #780 on: September 18, 2018, 05:02:07 PM »

I don't get why they haven't invited the other alleged assaulter and the therapist to testify too.

Republicans don't have an interest in turning this into a spectacle. All they need to do is placate 50/51 Republicans, so what Feinstein or Durbin or Hirono wants doesn't matter whatsoever.

Well, maybe, but isn't there an upside for the Pubs? The second accused denies it all, and the therapist could be asked if she thinks that the four versus two was a typo, or that she was told four, and whether K's name came up, and what the description of the perp was, and so forth. There would be a a particular upside if the Dems are not really pushing for it, because at least as to the therapist, they might have been in contact.

No one will care about that.

The optics is what everyone is going to remember. It doesn't even matter if Ford is credible, all that matters is if she can generate sympathy.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #781 on: September 18, 2018, 05:53:19 PM »

I realize you meant this towards Beet, but a lot of people do dumb stuff in their teenage years they hope never gets mentioned again, and I can imagine at an all boys school they get themselves into all sorts of dumb situations.

This doesn't prove anything.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #782 on: September 18, 2018, 06:08:12 PM »

I realize you meant this towards Beet, but a lot of people do dumb stuff in their teenage years they hope never gets mentioned again, and I can imagine at an all boys school they get themselves into all sorts of dumb situations.

This doesn't prove anything.

Thanks. "What happens in ___ stays in ___" is a pretty common riff off the Vegas quote and I'm pretty sure my buddies and I used it at least once for a trip somewhere. It means nothing.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #783 on: September 18, 2018, 06:18:56 PM »

If she is reluctant to testify it is understandable. Senate Republicans are ready to attack on her.
If she's going to put herself out there like this, then she should be ready to face the consequences.

IMO, she should either face the music and testify publicly or rescind her story.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #784 on: September 18, 2018, 06:22:17 PM »

New York Times is reporting that she has already receiving death threats. Can’t blame her for not wanting to put herself through the abuse she would have to face in order to testify.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #785 on: September 18, 2018, 06:38:49 PM »

If she is reluctant to testify it is understandable. Senate Republicans are ready to attack on her.
If she's going to put herself out there like this, then she should be ready to face the consequences.

IMO, she should either face the music and testify publicly or rescind her story.

Ok she needs an ultimatum. Come and testify, and tell your side. If you won't, we move on. We confirm Kavanaugh and he's on the Supreme Court for a few generations. That's it. It's one or the other.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #786 on: September 18, 2018, 06:41:30 PM »

Given that Kavanaugh has entirely denied being at the party (despite no one knowing when the party in questions exactly was), it seem like this could be boiled down into a very clear cut factual question.

This isn't a case of someone misinterpreting signals, or one person believing the other consented, or someone misremembering details.  It's a straight up Shaggy defense.

So couldn't the investigation focus on getting actual hard evidence of whether Kavanaugh was at the party?  If it's proven he wasn't there, he's obviously innocent.   If it's proven he was there, his defense has been entirely dishonest, and he is clearly unfit to be on the Court regardless of the details of the assualt.

If you are just trying to determine if Kavanaugh was at the party, you can't just call Kavanaugh and Ford.  You first need to determined the exact date of the party, and then try to get some third party confirmation of who attended.

It's possible that no such confirmation is available.  But I wouldn't be so sure.  
Once the date is established, it is possible that Kavanaugh, if innocent, could establish an airtight alibi.  For example, if he could prove that he was on vacation with his family that weekend.

On the other hand, if Kavanaugh was at the party, there might be people who can bring evidence about that.  People might not remember what happened on a particular day 30+ years ago, but a lot of high schoolers kept diaries in the 80's that they might still possess, and if someone at the party kept a diary, this could be subpoenaed.  Maybe someone mentioned in a diary seeing Brett at the party.
Someone at the party might have taken a photo; people who were friends of people at the party might have heard about what happened the next day.

The point is that this sort of evidence calls for serious engagement by professional investigators.  Senators just asking questions of Ford and Kavanaugh isn't likely to convince anyone.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #787 on: September 18, 2018, 06:41:56 PM »

This. ^^
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #788 on: September 18, 2018, 06:45:11 PM »

Given that Kavanaugh has entirely denied being at the party (despite no one knowing when the party in questions exactly was), it seem like this could be boiled down into a very clear cut factual question.

This isn't a case of someone misinterpreting signals, or one person believing the other consented, or someone misremembering details.  It's a straight up Shaggy defense.

So couldn't the investigation focus on getting actual hard evidence of whether Kavanaugh was at the party?  If it's proven he wasn't there, he's obviously innocent.   If it's proven he was there, his defense has been entirely dishonest, and he is clearly unfit to be on the Court regardless of the details of the assualt.

If you are just trying to determine if Kavanaugh was at the party, you can't just call Kavanaugh and Ford.  You first need to determined the exact date of the party, and then try to get some third party confirmation of who attended.

It's possible that no such confirmation is available.  But I wouldn't be so sure. 
Once the date is established, it is possible that Kavanaugh, if innocent, could establish an airtight alibi.  For example, if he could prove that he was on vacation with his family that weekend.

On the other hand, if Kavanaugh was at the party, there might be people who can bring evidence about that.  People might not remember what happened on a particular day 30+ years ago, but a lot of high schoolers kept diaries in the 80's that they might still possess, and if someone at the party kept a diary, this could be subpoenaed.  Maybe someone mentioned in a diary seeing Brett at the party.
Someone at the party might have taken a photo; people who were friends of people at the party might have heard about what happened the next day.

The point is that this sort of evidence calls for serious engagement by professional investigators.  Senators just asking questions of Ford and Kavanaugh isn't likely to convince anyone.

Dude, subpoena a diary from 1983? Have we reached this point?

August 1, 1983:
Totally want to see Madonna in concert next year! It'll be rad! Went to Grandmas after and she baked cookies! I wonder if Brett likes me? He likes me...he likes me not?

What do you think this is? The Babysitter's Club?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #789 on: September 18, 2018, 06:45:38 PM »

She should be asked questioned by Senators, not attacked. Just because she put her story out there does not mean she should be attacked under oath.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #790 on: September 18, 2018, 06:53:25 PM »

I support whatever questioning Ford will consent to - open or closed session, senators or lawyers, etc - but some sort of hearing must occur if she expects to be seen as credible and truthful.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mark-judge-testify-kavanaugh-hearing_us_5ba15f8ae4b04d32ebfd8c01

So, according to all the various Ford denihilist here who said that her possible, yet TBD, decision to decline testifying would essentially demonstrate she shouldn't be believed. I assume they all now believe that Mike judges claim that he doesn't remember this incident should likewise be discounted because he refuses to testify under oath?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #791 on: September 18, 2018, 06:54:09 PM »

I can’t think of any reason why she wouldn’t want to come testify. Nope not at all... /s

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #792 on: September 18, 2018, 06:55:29 PM »

This isn't a case of someone misinterpreting signals, or one person believing the other consented, or someone misremembering details.  It's a straight up Shaggy defense.

So couldn't the investigation focus on getting actual hard evidence of whether Kavanaugh was at the party?  If it's proven he wasn't there, he's obviously innocent.   If it's proven he was there, his defense has been entirely dishonest, and he is clearly unfit to be on the Court regardless of the details of the assualt.

If you are just trying to determine if Kavanaugh was at the party, you can't just call Kavanaugh and Ford.  You first need to determined the exact date of the party, and then try to get some third party confirmation of who attended.

It's possible that no such confirmation is available.  But I wouldn't be so sure. 
Once the date is established, it is possible that Kavanaugh, if innocent, could establish an airtight alibi.  For example, if he could prove that he was on vacation with his family that weekend.

On the other hand, if Kavanaugh was at the party, there might be people who can bring evidence about that.  People might not remember what happened on a particular day 30+ years ago, but a lot of high schoolers kept diaries in the 80's that they might still possess, and if someone at the party kept a diary, this could be subpoenaed.  Maybe someone mentioned in a diary seeing Brett at the party.

The point is that this sort of evidence calls for serious engagement by professional investigators.  Senators just asking questions of Ford and Kavanaugh isn't likely to convince anyone.

Dude, subpoena a diary from 1983? Have we reached this point?

August 1, 1983:
Totally want to see Madonna in concert next year! It'll be rad! Went to Grandmas after and she baked cookies! I wonder if Brett likes me? He likes me...he likes me not?

What do you think this is? The Babysitter's Club?

If a diary can conclusively establish that a Supreme Court candidate lied about an attempted rape allegation, absolutely.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #793 on: September 18, 2018, 07:00:54 PM »

NickG actually brings up a good point. Kavanaugh has flatly denied he ever went to the party in question (the fact that he's so conclusive about having not been at that specific party sort of sticks out) - so evidence that Kavanaugh was there would mean he's lying and likely had something to hide (the language he's used doesn't really leave room for "I forgot I was there").
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #794 on: September 18, 2018, 07:03:32 PM »

she says she won't unless the FBI investigates first
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #795 on: September 18, 2018, 07:03:40 PM »

NickG actually brings up a good point. Kavanaugh has flatly denied he ever went to the party in question (the fact that he's so conclusive about having not been at that specific party sort of sticks out) - so evidence that Kavanaugh was there would mean he's lying and likely had something to hide (the language he's used doesn't really leave room for "I forgot I was there").

I guess I could see that. Kavanaugh doesn't seem likable enough to have been invited to parties.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #796 on: September 18, 2018, 07:04:30 PM »

I thought the FBI had investigated. What additional investigation does she want?

Link please?
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #797 on: September 18, 2018, 07:04:56 PM »

Watching Cooper now

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/18/politics/ford-letter-fbi/index.html
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #798 on: September 18, 2018, 07:07:06 PM »

I thought the FBI had investigated. What additional investigation does she want?

Link please?

The FBI dismissed the claim because they did not view it as pertaining to a prosecutable federal crime. Whether Maryland officials investigate it is an entirely different manner FTR.

So, according to all the various Ford denihilist here who said that her possible, yet TBD, decision to decline testifying would essentially demonstrate she shouldn't be believed. I assume they all now believe that Mike judges claim that he doesn't remember this incident should likewise be discounted because he refuses to testify under oath?

Sure, but that just means we discredit both Judge and Ford, so all we're left with is Kavanaugh...who flatly denies it.

Wait, did Kavanaugh cite a specific party (by name, date, etc.) in his comments?
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #799 on: September 18, 2018, 07:08:29 PM »

Xavier Becerra, Attorney General of California should investigate these death threats, and prosecute the people responsible for making such threats. If you live in California, please send him an email.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies