Kavanaugh accused of sexually assaulting classmate in high school
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 12:35:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kavanaugh accused of sexually assaulting classmate in high school
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 34
Author Topic: Kavanaugh accused of sexually assaulting classmate in high school  (Read 42482 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: September 16, 2018, 08:30:42 PM »

Apparently Flake is voicing his opposition to proceeding Kavanaugh's nomination. Let's see if that sticks.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #426 on: September 16, 2018, 08:31:48 PM »

Apparently Flake is voicing his opposition to proceeding Kavanaugh's nomination. Let's see if that sticks.
True if big.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #427 on: September 16, 2018, 08:31:48 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2018, 08:38:09 PM by Old School Republican »

Yah I now support delaying the vote until a more thorough investigation can be done into this matter.

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #428 on: September 16, 2018, 08:32:04 PM »

It's Jeff Flake.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #429 on: September 16, 2018, 08:33:14 PM »

Let's put it this way.  When Cocaine McTurtle forced Senators to stay through the August Recess, Flake waltzed on to Africa for some missions trip.  McCain was, of course, absent, forcing the GOP to be a minority (tied) party for the time being. 

Flake can be a pretty nasty dude when necessary.  Don't mess with the Mormons.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #430 on: September 16, 2018, 08:33:49 PM »

I asked both my parents to also send letters to Brian Frosh asking him to prosecute Kavanaugh, and I asked both of them to ask their friends to do the same.
BBD
Big Bad Don

« Reply #431 on: September 16, 2018, 08:33:50 PM »

Yup:

Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #432 on: September 16, 2018, 08:36:15 PM »

I asked both my parents to also send letters to Brian Frosh asking him to prosecute Kavanaugh, and I asked both of them to ask their friends to do the same.

I absolutely don't think Kavanuagh should be comfirmed as a Supreme Court justice.

But I also don't think prosecutors should base decisions of whether to prosecute an individual for a crime on public opinion.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #433 on: September 16, 2018, 08:43:32 PM »

now I do have to question why the upload date is blacked out. Is there any chance these were all uploaded in the last few hours before the deletion?
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #434 on: September 16, 2018, 08:43:43 PM »

Corker (!) doesn't want Judiciary to vote yet either: https://twitter.com/KasieDC/status/1041492710526525440/video/1
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #435 on: September 16, 2018, 08:46:59 PM »

If Corker and Flake force a hearing, this could get ugly fast.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #436 on: September 16, 2018, 08:49:29 PM »

With the possibility of Kavanaugh withdrawing his nomination in the wake of Christine Blasey Ford's letter accusing him of rape and sexual assault, who do you see Trump pick to fill Kennedy's seat? I'd say either Coney Barrett, Kethledge, or Hardiman.

Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #437 on: September 16, 2018, 09:00:17 PM »

So, two men were accused of sexually assaulting a woman while drunk. One of them of has admitted to binge drinking during that time, says that the second one also binge drank, and has a history of extraordinarily creepy around women, including filming what are almost certainly underage girls in skimpy clothing. The other is Brett Kavanaugh. 
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #438 on: September 16, 2018, 09:01:56 PM »

Kavanaugh will not be withdrawing. A Bernie Sanders donor just got the right wing emotionally invested again. Their Senators will have to answer to them if they say no.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #439 on: September 16, 2018, 09:04:23 PM »

This makes sense if you are Mitch McConnell and you want to kill this nomination and get Trump to nominate someone else, but Trump himself won't see reason to just do it himself.

Mitch goes to the retiring Republican Senators, who have nothing to lose, and says ~ "Hey Flake and Corker, can you please announce your opposition to kill his nomination? Then we will get Trump to nominate someone else. You guys need to be the ones to do it because if anyone else does it, they will lose in a future Republican primary. Thanks guys! Besties!"

I was thinking earlier that if I were Mitch, that would be how I would try to kill it to avoid the otherwise inevitable political train wreck.

If my theory is correct, I suspect however that they will try to get 1 or 2 more retiring Senators to also announce their opposition (maybe Orrin Hatch, for example). That way no individual Senator can be blamed as the deciding vote.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #440 on: September 16, 2018, 09:04:59 PM »

With the possibility of Kavanaugh withdrawing his nomination in the wake of Christine Blasey Ford's letter accusing him of rape and sexual assault, who do you see Trump pick to fill Kennedy's seat? I'd say either Coney Barrett, Kethledge, or Hardiman.

Given the context of how this hypothetical withdrawal would be occurring, it has to be Barrett... call it the Al Franken/Tina Smith precedent
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #441 on: September 16, 2018, 09:07:36 PM »

This makes sense if you are Mitch McConnell and you want to kill this nomination and get Trump to nominate someone else, but Trump himself won't see reason to just do it himself.

Mitch goes to the retiring Republican Senators, who have nothing to lose, and says ~ "Hey Flake and Corker, can you please announce your opposition to kill his nomination? Then we will get Trump to nominate someone else. You guys need to be the ones to do it because if anyone else does it, they will lose in a future Republican primary. Thanks guys! Besties!"

I was thinking earlier that if I were Mitch, that would be how I would try to kill it to avoid the otherwise inevitable political train wreck.

If my theory is correct, I suspect however that they will try to get 1 or 2 more retiring Senators to also announce their opposition (maybe Orrin Hatch, for example). That way no individual Senator can be blamed as the deciding vote.

True, McConnell would probably love to have Amy Barret nominated before the election.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #442 on: September 16, 2018, 09:17:38 PM »

If the accuser signals she's willing to testify before the committee, I could absolutely see McConnell quietly scuttling the nomination without any actual testimony.   No Republican Senator is going to want to be seen on live TV aggressively questioning her story.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #443 on: September 16, 2018, 09:19:26 PM »

If the accuser signals she's willing to testify before the committee, I could absolutely see McConnell quietly scuttling the nomination without any actual testimony.   No Republican Senator is going to want to be seen on live TV aggressively questioning her story.
In the Era of Trump, never say never.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #444 on: September 16, 2018, 09:20:05 PM »

What do you guys think the odds are that the nomination is withdrawn/rescinded?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #445 on: September 16, 2018, 09:21:35 PM »

I don't want to be too optimistic - Trump almost always doubles down when this sort of thing happens.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #446 on: September 16, 2018, 09:23:51 PM »

The odds are pretty low for one reason, Trump. He has doubled down on Kavanaugh, and I can see him sending an ultimatum(you dont put my guy up, you dont get a Supreme Court majority) to the senate Republicans. If he passes, its by a 51-49 vote.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #447 on: September 16, 2018, 09:25:22 PM »

In the Era of Trump, never say never.

True, but remember this is the Senate.
If this was the House, then of course there would be vile GOP Congresspeople abound that would volunteer and love to do "the job."
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #448 on: September 16, 2018, 09:25:38 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #449 on: September 16, 2018, 09:26:04 PM »

I think he either he gets confirmed ASAP (i.e. prior to October, on schedule, w/ the Judiciary Committee vote occurring this Thursday, & the full Senate vote soon after) or not at all.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies