Early & Absentee Voting Megathread - Build the Freiwal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:52:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Early & Absentee Voting Megathread - Build the Freiwal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 72
Author Topic: Early & Absentee Voting Megathread - Build the Freiwal  (Read 128344 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: November 01, 2018, 10:16:49 AM »

People keep telling me that the GOP EV is better than dems and that if Dems can’t even win EV they have no shot. Someone  please explain why these people are wrong.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1301 on: November 01, 2018, 10:21:46 AM »

People keep telling me that the GOP EV is better than dems and that if Dems can’t even win EV they have no shot. Someone  please explain why these people are wrong.

Read my post about 5 back.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1302 on: November 01, 2018, 10:23:23 AM »

1) Seniors are more likely to vote early than young people and 2) we don’t know how independents will vote but probably majority Democrat amd 3) the gap is a lot smaller than it was in 2014 in most states.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1303 on: November 01, 2018, 10:44:54 AM »

Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1304 on: November 01, 2018, 11:40:04 AM »

Analysis of Upshot polls: independents are breaking 2-1 toward the Democrats.  An important point (bolded) for EV analysis:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If you calculate out the #s in the chart, Dems are winning the overall early vote as measured by the NYT/Siena polls by something like 52.6ish to 38.4ish (with 8.9ish refusing to say who they voted for).

That is across the districts/races analyzed, and with the caveat that of course some of these districts have much more early vote than others, and that the polls were conducted at different stages in time as the early vote period progressed:

AZ-06,AZ-SEN, CA-10,CA-25,CA-39,CA-49,FL-15,FL-26,FL-27,FL-GOV, FL-SEN, IA-03, IL-06,IL-12,IL-13,KS-02,ME-02,MN-08,NC-09,NJ-03,NJ-11,NM-02,NY-11,OH-01, PA-01,PA-08,PA-10,TX-07,TX-23,UT-04,VA-02.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1305 on: November 01, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »

TN will likely end at 1.37 million votes vs. 1.66 million in 2016.

That is 83% of 2016 early voting and 230% of 2014 early voting.

(It should be noted that overall 2014 turnout in TN was catastrophic and even in 2016, TN ranked as 2nd to last in turnout in the US among all states, just behind HI and WV).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1306 on: November 01, 2018, 01:47:50 PM »

Analysis of Upshot polls: independents are breaking 2-1 toward the Democrats.  An important point (bolded) for EV analysis:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

But Atlas and the pundits told me that Mean Dean would win independents by eleventy bajillion points!
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1307 on: November 01, 2018, 02:25:16 PM »

Democrats gained almost another point in Arizona:

Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #1308 on: November 01, 2018, 02:30:43 PM »

I wonder if it's possible to quantify how much an exciting candidate motivates youth turnout? Like, if Sinema and O'Rourke switched states, what impact would that have on these numbers? I don't think it would be negligible.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1309 on: November 01, 2018, 03:08:12 PM »

While Ralston is still calling NV-SEN and NV-GOV Toss-Ups, he is saying that if Heller isn't winning Independents, he might be done for. If Clark turnout is strong today and tomorrow, I'm pretty sure he'll predict that Rosen and Sisolak will win, though he'll probably say that it'll be narrow.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1310 on: November 01, 2018, 03:12:22 PM »

While Ralston is still calling NV-SEN and NV-GOV Toss-Ups, he is saying that if Heller isn't winning Independents, he might be done for. If Clark turnout is strong today and tomorrow, I'm pretty sure he'll predict that Rosen and Sisolak will win, though he'll probably say that it'll be narrow.

It's funny, he has NV-04 as Likely D, while our buddy Sean T at RCP has it as a Toss Up due to reasons.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1311 on: November 01, 2018, 03:28:31 PM »

I wonder if it's possible to quantify how much an exciting candidate motivates youth turnout? Like, if Sinema and O'Rourke switched states, what impact would that have on these numbers? I don't think it would be negligible.

I also think Texas just has way more young people than AZ, too

I mean the data supports close wins for both, he probably wouldn’t be wrong
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1312 on: November 01, 2018, 03:35:17 PM »

Well, it shows close wins assuming that independents break narrowly or evenly. If independents break towards the Democrats decisively, it will develop into a wider victory.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1313 on: November 01, 2018, 04:16:17 PM »

Still not good, given that Dems ended early voting with a 4-5 point deficit behind Republicans.  Democrats are going to have to turn out like crazy today and tomorrow to have a chance.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1314 on: November 01, 2018, 04:40:15 PM »

Still not good, given that Dems ended early voting with a 4-5 point deficit behind Republicans.  Democrats are going to have to turn out like crazy today and tomorrow to have a chance.

Again, you don't know how people are voting. Or how Indies are voting.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1315 on: November 01, 2018, 04:55:51 PM »

Not true.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1316 on: November 01, 2018, 04:56:29 PM »

Still not good, given that Dems ended early voting with a 4-5 point deficit behind Republicans.  Democrats are going to have to turn out like crazy today and tomorrow to have a chance.

This is very much true. I saw a article somewhere saying that 7% of Republicans support Sinema, compared to 4% of Democrats who are backing McSally. And that Sinema is leading among independents something like 58-32%. Such numbers point to a narrow (~2-4 pt.) Sinema victory.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1317 on: November 01, 2018, 05:22:14 PM »

In which election did Democrats end up at a 4-5 point deficit? 2016?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1318 on: November 01, 2018, 05:25:48 PM »

Still not good, given that Dems ended early voting with a 4-5 point deficit behind Republicans.  Democrats are going to have to turn out like crazy today and tomorrow to have a chance.

This is very much true. I saw a article somewhere saying that 7% of Republicans support Sinema, compared to 4% of Democrats who are backing McSally. And that Sinema is leading among independents something like 58-32%. Such numbers point to a narrow (~2-4 pt.) Sinema victory.

So it's not that Democrats are staying home. Its whether moderate/libertarian Republicans  come home or Independents get cold feet.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1319 on: November 01, 2018, 05:32:36 PM »

So it's not that Democrats are staying home. Its whether moderate/libertarian Republicans  come home or Independents get cold feet.

Exactly. And I don't think McSally can erase that kind of deficit with independents at this point. As for the Republican base in Arizona, they have never been enthused with McSally as their nominee, and of course, you have the more moderate ones who disapprove of Trump, who like Sinema's centrism, and who may have been turned off by McSally's recent flip-flopping on the issues. These factors are why I believe Sinema will win on Tuesday.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1320 on: November 01, 2018, 05:48:08 PM »

Exactly. And I don't think McSally can erase that kind of deficit with independents at this point. As for the Republican base in Arizona, they have never been enthused with McSally as their nominee, and of course, you have the more moderate ones who disapprove of Trump, who like Sinema's centrism, and who may have been turned off by McSally's recent flip-flopping on the issues. These factors are why I believe Sinema will win on Tuesday.

The bigger thing is that PID is lagging behind voting in some parts of AZ, so there are a few voters with a pub ID who vote dem now. Of course I will cite the special election with a ten point gap between registration and results, but also the NYT poll which found Sinema winning >15% of Reps.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1321 on: November 01, 2018, 07:09:36 PM »

Looks like Clark is staying steady over a historical jump https://mobile.twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1058138108686827520
psychprofessor

« Reply #1322 on: November 01, 2018, 07:23:28 PM »

In which election did Democrats end up at a 4-5 point deficit? 2016?

yes, and I don't get why people keep comparing 2018 to 2016...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1323 on: November 01, 2018, 07:25:23 PM »

F**k f**k f**k f**k
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1324 on: November 01, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »

The jump usually happens to its biggest extent on Friday, but it looks like turnout will definitely be higher than yesterday. On other days when it's been at 17K at 3 PM, it's almost always gotten above 25K, and sometimes been close to 30K.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies