Early & Absentee Voting Megathread - Build the Freiwal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:45:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Early & Absentee Voting Megathread - Build the Freiwal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 72
Author Topic: Early & Absentee Voting Megathread - Build the Freiwal  (Read 128816 times)
BundouYMB

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: November 02, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »

R+7 or so in Arizona is fine for Sinema, Hobbs, and Hoffman. The recent poll where all three of their races were within two points of each other in margin was one that had an R+10 electorate

Reminder: 2016 was R+6.4 in the early vote. If the electorate is like that again, which it looks like it will be, does anyone doubt Sinema will win? They shouldn't.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1451 on: November 02, 2018, 07:54:23 PM »

@NOVA what does the OR legislature look like? Any gains for Democrats you think are likely?

OR-Senate District 3 is certainly a possibility. It's an open seat that was represented by a Republican that includes Ashland, Medford, and some surrounding rural areas and smaller towns.

Most of the population lives in the Belt from Medford to Ashland...

Although Medford is the largest City in Oregon to vote it for Trump, he still won it with less than 50% of the Vote. It's also a relatively fast growing City.

Ashland is an overwhelmingly Democratic stronghold, and EV numbers overall point to an extremely strong DEM performance in Jackson County to date.

State Senate District 10 could potentially be interesting in a wave election, represented by a Republican in a fairly Democratic District including Salem & Keizar.

https://ballotpedia.org/Jackie_Winters

Still Jackie is fairly popular and has a reputation as a Liberal Republican, who frequently crosses over to vote for key Democratic policy initiatives.

Thus far Turnout in Marion has been lower than statewide averages, likely being driven down a bit by Turnout in the City of Salem, which is a relatively solidly Democratic City, but with a relatively large Younger and Latino population.

South Salem isn't as heavily Democratic as some other parts of the City, and there are some "exurban" type places within the LD.

It does include the City of Independence, which is basically a Sister City of Monmouth, and hence has a decent Student, Staff, and Faculty presence and pretty solidly Democratic City in most partisan elections.

(Unfortunately I can't break down turnout by Cities within Oregon at this point, solely by County so it gets trickier to assess based upon Early VbM numbers).

State Senate District 13 is tougher than it might appear on paper....

Sure it has a sliver of Democratic Hillsboro....

Wilsonville is a fairly fast growing Exurban City, which has gone from being a Republican stronghold in the late '80s and most of '90s to becoming a DEM leaning City.

Newburg in Yamhill County is an extremely fast growing Exurban City on the SW fringes of Metro Portland, and has started to shift Democratic at a fairly decent clip within just the past Decade.

Keizer is the largest population center within the District and is relatively WWC in terms of Educational and Occupational classifications (Although not nearly as Old as many lumped into the WWC Demographic.). It voted for Trump by ~ 10% in '16, and although I don't have the numbers at my fingertips it was less than 50% PUB, with significant 3rd Party defections. It's also a fairly "swingy" kind of place.

Where I say the District can get tricky is that the rural areas floating around the district are heavily Republican farming type precincts, and in statewide elections you're generally not going to see the types of farming in the Willamette Valley swing DEM (Other than maybe some Christmas Tree and Marijuana farmers, organic farmers, etc).  Grass-seed/Grains and livestock farmers in the Mid Valley tend to vote heavily Republican.

State Senate District 20 is an interesting DEM pickup concept....

It has a decent chunk of DEM strongholds in NW ClackCo, but also some of the most Republican rural parts of the County.

State Senate District 26 is potentially a more feasible DEM pickup opportunity, considering that it is a pretty solidly Lean DEM district overall in most elections both Federal and State elections.

You have a nice decent chunk of outer SE PDX, (Which is not an overwhelmingly Democratic part of the City), some relatively affluent, educated, and fast growing Exurbs out in Happy Valley/Damascus, and then the district stretches East and includes a wide variety of Rural Communities, and the Democratic stronghold of Hood River County.

So, to summarize:

1.) The battle to gain a Democratic Super-Majority in the OR-SEN is being fought on generally positive terrain for the Democrats in terms of Federal Level Elections

2.) The Portland Exurbs will be key to any massive breakthrough in the OR-SEN for the DEMs (And quite possibly the OR-GOV race). These are precisely the types of communities where we saw some of the biggest swings at the US PRES from '12 > '16 towards the DEMs.

*IF* OR DEMS can breakthrough at a Statewide level in these types of Communities, will likely play a key roll.

3.) Trump's regressive Taxation policies are likely to hit hard in many of these Districts, especially when the Taxman comes around in April... (Oregon has now Sales Taxes, a relatively high but progressive State Income Tax, doesn't mess around with fees for GVT services like many other States).

4.) These voters want services from Government, such as K-12 Schools, Roads that are maintained for frequently long commutes, etc...

5.) If the Federal Government can't provide these services, Exurban communities will expect State Government to provide the funding gap, and will likely be extremely pissed off about any "local candidate" with an (R) next to their name on the ballot, because of the flawed priorities of Republicans at the Federal Level.

6.) Will it happen in Oregon at the Statewide level in 2018? IDK... if not 2020 will be a Year or reckoning in my home State.

Anyways... I'll have to take a peak at state House races this weekend, but that's at least a sneak preview of places we might see DEM gains to gain a Super-Majority in the OR-State SEN.

NoVA GREEN

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1452 on: November 02, 2018, 07:56:04 PM »

As a reminder, some EV sites in Clark are open until 8pm today.

I saw some in shopping malls are are open until 9pm.

Love this.

I want 2016 style footage of people waiting on lines after the polls "closed", if you're on the line you get to vote.

Nothing is more pathetic than trying to stop people from voting.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1453 on: November 02, 2018, 09:13:16 PM »

Lawd Jesus

Progressive
jro660

« Reply #1454 on: November 02, 2018, 09:16:54 PM »

As a reminder, some EV sites in Clark are open until 8pm today.

I saw some in shopping malls are are open until 9pm.

Love this.

I want 2016 style footage of people waiting on lines after the polls "closed", if you're on the line you get to vote.

Nothing is more pathetic than trying to stop people from voting.

That will happen in my neighborhood. We don't have early voting in New York. People in my densely packed area will be on line for hours.
new_patomic

« Reply #1455 on: November 02, 2018, 09:27:02 PM »

Lawd Jesus

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1456 on: November 02, 2018, 09:27:43 PM »

Huge props to Culinary226
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1457 on: November 02, 2018, 09:33:29 PM »

But Atlas, the pundits, Emerson, and Reuters told me that Heller had this in the bag. How could all these esteemed geniuses POSSIBLY be wrong?!
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1458 on: November 02, 2018, 09:36:38 PM »

LAWD JESUS

Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1459 on: November 02, 2018, 09:40:32 PM »

LAWD JESUS

congresswoman elect lizzie fletcher.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1460 on: November 02, 2018, 09:42:11 PM »

LAWD JESUS

For some context on that, 105,005 people voted on the last day of early voting in Harris County in 2016. So if they still have long lines, they will probably pretty much meet and perhaps exceed that # today.

And that 105,005 number is, I think, the all time record for highest turnout in a day of early voting in a TX county.

51,628 voted on the last day of early voting in 2014.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1461 on: November 02, 2018, 09:45:39 PM »

Looks great for Rosen.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1462 on: November 02, 2018, 09:46:29 PM »

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/1058513670982922241

Clark already hit 35K. Looks like it will top 40K, could it reach 45K?

If it does, and Democrats get a strong margin, the freiwal could come close to or hit 45K, and Democrats could come close to a statewide lead of 20K.

The Clark freiwall is getting bigger!

I won't infract the misspelling of freiwal this time, but consider this a warning.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1463 on: November 02, 2018, 09:55:53 PM »

The concept of cannibalization is the most overrated thing of the 2018 election. A vote is a vote. If you get your sure and most frequent voters to go vote early you can spend time, energy, and money with your ground game to go after low propensity voters.

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1464 on: November 02, 2018, 09:57:44 PM »

The concept of cannibalization is the most overrated thing of the 2018 election. A vote is a vote. If you get your sure and most frequent voters to go vote early you can spend time, energy, and money with your ground game to go after low propensity voters.

Cannibalization does sound extremely negative.   It's really just the normalization of early voting.  More and more people do it, and more and more people find they like it.   It's nothing bad happening to either party.
new_patomic

« Reply #1465 on: November 02, 2018, 10:02:58 PM »

Oh bby
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1466 on: November 02, 2018, 10:04:06 PM »

Oh bby

My body is ready.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1467 on: November 02, 2018, 10:32:16 PM »

Live from Dean Heller's bedside, where the life support is about to be shut off.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1468 on: November 02, 2018, 10:34:40 PM »

INJECT THIS INTO MY VEINS!
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1469 on: November 02, 2018, 10:34:56 PM »

new_patomic

« Reply #1470 on: November 02, 2018, 10:35:55 PM »

That being said while I do love people going out to vote long lines are sort of a problem in and of themselves and aren't a good thing.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1471 on: November 02, 2018, 10:37:30 PM »

The Culinary Union is telling people to stay in line:

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1472 on: November 02, 2018, 10:38:32 PM »

Men, prepare yourselves for the glory that will swell the spirits of all of us.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1473 on: November 02, 2018, 10:38:57 PM »

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia