MI-WDIV: Whitmer +14
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:11:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  MI-WDIV: Whitmer +14
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: MI-WDIV: Whitmer +14  (Read 3580 times)
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 08:14:39 AM »

I was told by Beet that Michigan voters are misogynists though, so therefore we need to give Whitmer a 10 point penalty because every single female candidate is DOA because “MUH 2016.”
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 08:18:36 AM »

Link.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 10:59:21 AM »

A year ago Democratic insiders were wringing their hands saying Whitmer was doomed and we needed to find a man to run for Governor. My how times have changed.

This was nonsense then and is nonsense now. MI already elected a female governor twice, in 2002 and 2006. And Whitmer seems to run a strong campaign. Most voters don't care about gender. At least not those who vote or might vote Democratic. Same on male Democratic incumbents or candidates. If they're doomed, it's not because of gender.

Honestly, at this point it may in fact be the case that as long as you're a Democrat, it's better electorally to be Female than it is to be Male.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 11:34:43 AM »

A year ago Democratic insiders were wringing their hands saying Whitmer was doomed and we needed to find a man to run for Governor. My how times have changed.

This was nonsense then and is nonsense now. MI already elected a female governor twice, in 2002 and 2006. And Whitmer seems to run a strong campaign. Most voters don't care about gender. At least not those who vote or might vote Democratic. Same on male Democratic incumbents or candidates. If they're doomed, it's not because of gender.

Honestly, at this point it may in fact be the case that as long as you're a Democrat, it's better electorally to be Female than it is to be Male.

In primaries generally, yeah. But plenty of men have beat women in competitive primaries this year as well: Gillum, Lipinski, Walt Maddox, Mike Levin, Jared Polis, Ige, Case, Casten, Hubbell, Walz, Sisolak, Horsford, Scott Wallace come to mind. It’s hardly as big a penis penalty as Hemorrhoid claims
The fact that one has to strain for examples kind of proves my point. Unqualified women have been winning up and down for no other reason than who they are regardless of how progressive they are via-à-vis the more qualified man (with AOC being a huge exception that proves the rule).  When are people gonna wake up to the Bosse-types owning the Dem party at this point? No men will be left in the party in two decades the more they keep up these antics.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 11:44:45 AM »

In primaries generally, yeah. But plenty of men have beat women in competitive primaries this year as well: Gillum, Lipinski, Walt Maddox, Mike Levin, Jared Polis, Ige, Case, Casten, Hubbell, Walz, Sisolak, Horsford, Scott Wallace come to mind. It’s hardly as big a penis penalty as Hemorrhoid claims
The fact that one has to strain for examples kind of proves my point. Unqualified women have been winning up and down for no other reason than who they are regardless of how progressive they are via-à-vis the more qualified man (with AOC being a huge exception that proves the rule).  When are people gonna wake up to the Bosse-types owning the Dem party at this point? No men will be left in the party in two decades the more they keep up these antics.

Calm down
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 11:45:36 AM »

With this kind of margin it appears it is likely that the MI state House falls and maybe the MI state Senate
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 11:46:50 AM »

Lean/Likely D, but we knew that already.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2018, 12:57:53 PM »

It's disappointing that my early endorsement of Schuette failed to create a Toss-Up Contest.

it's almost as if no one gives a sh*t about your endrosements
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2018, 01:37:25 PM »

It's disappointing that my early endorsement of Schuette failed to create a Toss-Up Contest.

it's almost as if no one gives a sh*t about your endrosements

Unfortunately that is the case sometimes.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2018, 02:18:14 PM »

What they were freaked about is the fact that the woman who was elected in 2002 and 2006 was politically radioactive, just like Nancy Pelosi was from 2010 until this year. We all knew that whoever the GOP nominee was would just scream GRANHOLM!!!!!!! incessantly and in a Hillary midterm it might have worked. Right now the national environment combined with Snyder fatigue are the reason why the Granholm refrain isn’t winning over voters. It worked in 2010 and 2014, and in a more neutral environment, it probably would have worked in 2018.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2018, 03:47:32 PM »

He listed like a dozen examples, I'd hardly call that having to "strain."
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2018, 03:50:13 PM »

What they were freaked about is the fact that the woman who was elected in 2002 and 2006 was politically radioactive, just like Nancy Pelosi was from 2010 until this year. We all knew that whoever the GOP nominee was would just scream GRANHOLM!!!!!!! incessantly and in a Hillary midterm it might have worked. Right now the national environment combined with Snyder fatigue are the reason why the Granholm refrain isn’t winning over voters. It worked in 2010 and 2014, and in a more neutral environment, it probably would have worked in 2018.

Actually, this poll shows Granholm with a 41-41 favorability rating.

It's almost as if running against someone that hasn't been on the ballot in over a decade isn't the best strategy, since time usually rehabilitates the image of past politicians. It would be like Dems running against Dubya in 2020, lol.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2018, 04:00:45 PM »

I was told by Beet that Michigan voters are misogynists though, so therefore we need to give Whitmer a 10 point penalty because every single female candidate is DOA because “MUH 2016.”

Michigan was by far the biggest state where voters saw a man, saw a woman, both who had a real shot at winning, and picked the latter. I thought it would follow the same pattern as other states. I was wrong, but it's an understandable mistake, given the general pattern.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 08:18:22 AM »

There is no reason why anyone should think this race is a toss up.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2018, 12:39:48 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2018, 12:45:23 PM by IceSpear »

There is no reason why anyone should think this race is a toss up.

It hasn’t been a tossup since last summer, but I was ridiculed for suggesting that an unpopular Governor and an unpopular President of the same party would be a drag on the party’s chances at holding it.

I've had it at lean D since the spring. I was overly pessimistic and cautious I guess, lol. Whitmer leading by 5-7 points in polls where she had like 20% name recognition (about the same a random name drawn out of a hat would get) was a dead giveaway to the direction of this race.

But at the time, we had geniuses talking about how it was TERRIBLE news for Whitmer that she only led 40-36 or something. Because apparently many people can't read into a poll beyond the toplines.

This thread is a great example of how easily "candidate quality" is confused with "name recognition":

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=277085.0
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2018, 07:20:03 PM »

Doubt. But RGA is pulling out of Michigan.

Why? It’s pretty much in line with Whitmer’s climb.

This reminds me of back in summer 2008 when McCain pulled out of Michigan in the summer.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2018, 11:03:40 PM »

So is it too early to declare this a NJ-2017 redux yet?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2018, 08:09:05 PM »

Will Whitmer under-perform due to low turnout yet still win by a pretty sizable margin?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2018, 08:55:22 PM »

Will Whitmer under-perform due to low turnout yet still win by a pretty sizable margin?

I meant more in the sense that an originally-formidable Republican loses badly because an unpopular incumbent drags him/her down like an anchor around their neck.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2018, 06:14:38 PM »

I meant more in the sense that an originally-formidable Republican loses badly because an unpopular incumbent drags him/her down like an anchor around their neck.

True. I can definitely see that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies