Lincoln's amendment has passed which was a much needed and meaningful amendment to the constitution!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:41:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Lincoln's amendment has passed which was a much needed and meaningful amendment to the constitution!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lincoln's amendment has passed which was a much needed and meaningful amendment to the constitution!  (Read 244 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2022, 04:22:45 AM »
« edited: December 15, 2022, 11:41:08 AM by Laki »

It is linked to an amendment of an amendment

Section 18. To be in agreement with the international human rights law, restrictions of mobility including lockdown, curfew or mandatory quarantine due to public health emergency must be carried out for a legitimate purpose, based on scientific evidence, of limited duration, and respectful of human beings' dignity.

while all of this

Section 18. To be in agreement with the international human rights law, restrictions of mobility including lockdown, curfew or mandatory quarantine due to public health emergency must be carried out for a legitimate purpose, based on scientific evidence, of limited duration, and respectful of beings' dignity.

would be newly added

See this thread

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=532059.0
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 04:48:29 AM »

Whatever it is, I'm voting against it.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 04:55:16 AM »

Whatever it is, I'm voting against it.

And i'm not sure why it faces opposition. In Lincoln General Court, it passed 5-0, unanimously.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyt.2020.603875/full

paper done by members of the following institutes:

University of Washington, Seattle, WA, United States
Washington University, St. Louis, MO, United States
Department of Health Metrics Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, United States
VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System, Ann Arbor, MI, United States
Department of Psychology, University of California Los Angeles Life Sciences, Los Angeles, CA, United States
United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF), New York, NY, United States
New York University, New York, NY, United States
Harvard T.H Chan School of Public Health, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, United States
Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, United States
University of Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
Amref Health Africa, Nairobi, Kenya
University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana

I suggest you to read this research paper. I proposed the constitutional change to prevent to replicate whatever happened in China here. To strengthen our constitution against authoritarianism. It doesn't outlaw lockdowns or such measures, it just limits them in time, saying they have to be 1. scientifically supported and 2. need a legitimate purpose and 3. respectful of beings' dignity which all are common sense to me.

If people want a China-style police state they need to vote nay.

It doesn't specify the pandemic. The people who played Runescape also know about the plague in West-Ardougne, how it was a lie, just to keep the people repressed there. That one would not have been supported by scientists if samples were taken (which you have to do in a quest).
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 09:00:08 AM »

I linked to that post because the OP still has the old 'human dignity' language.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 02:18:46 AM »

I linked to that post because the OP still has the old 'human dignity' language.
it gives the impression that what's being voted on is the change of that single word, however.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 11:40:36 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2022, 11:47:35 AM by Laki »

Victory.

The amendment has passed

Section 18. To be in agreement with the international human rights law, restrictions of mobility including lockdown, curfew or mandatory quarantine due to public health emergency must be carried out for a legitimate purpose, based on scientific evidence, of limited duration, and respectful of beings' dignity.

This essentially is a step towards a more freer and democratic society, and i'm grateful that this has passed and to everyone who supported is.

Some might think this is not huge, since the amendment doesn't ban lockdowns if there's a valid scientific reason for that (which during the covid pandemic, there was), or at least it was extensively debated. It however guarantees that the duration would be limited, and for specific legitimate purposes

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/14/peru-state-emergency-pedro-castillo-protests?CMP=share_btn_tw

In Peru, we're seeing a clear example of why this amendment was needed.

Otarola said a nightly curfew could also be imposed.

“With this measure, we seek to guarantee order, the continuity of economic activities and the protection of millions of families,” Peru’s defence minister, Luis Otárola, tweeted after the decision was reached in a cabinet meeting. He added the government had not decided whether a curfew would be imposed.

This would effectively be banned in Lincoln, since there's no scientific reason to back up a nightly curfew in this example.

It is a step towards being a check on authoritarianism and preserving democracy in Lincoln and to a wider extent Atlasia.

The measure announced on Wednesday suspends the right to gather and move freely across the entire country – and comes just before the Christmas holidays when people typically travel extensively to visit family.

In the future, it will continue to be a focus of me to defend the right to gather and move freely across the country, and to defend the right to strike and protest. Because I believe it is an essential human right.

Thank you for passing this.

This is a huge victory.

Laki.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies