Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:32:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 58
Author Topic: Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*  (Read 99298 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: September 21, 2018, 08:04:14 AM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #551 on: September 21, 2018, 08:22:17 AM »

I wonder what blowback caused the guy to publish that regret tweet posted above. I mean when you name somebody, putting that person in the crosshairs of hell, based on idle speculation, even if interesting speculation, you have to be pretty comatose not to realize that you have crossed a Rubicon. Tweets are a bane. If I were dictator, I think I would ban them.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #552 on: September 21, 2018, 08:37:49 AM »

I wonder what blowback caused the guy to publish that regret tweet posted above. I mean when you name somebody, putting that person in the crosshairs of hell, based on idle speculation, even if interesting speculation, you have to be pretty comatose not to realize that you have crossed a Rubicon.

No doubt he conferred with some people, at a minimum staffers on the Judiciary Committee, before proceeding. Check out Orrin Hatch's staffer who said to watch Whelan's feed and then deleted the tweet later. None of those people realized it was a mistake. I think this is a consequence of the "nothing matters"/"we make our own reality" bubble of the Trump-era GOP. They really thought they could steer the conversation this way.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #553 on: September 21, 2018, 08:51:50 AM »

I was wondering how long Trump can keep his trap shut.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #554 on: September 21, 2018, 09:04:19 AM »

Pretty clear he wants to scare her into not testifying.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #555 on: September 21, 2018, 09:16:44 AM »

Ed Whalen really screwed the pooch on this one. Democrats are now going to ask Kavanaugh what he knew about this incredible strategy the Republicans had to sink Ford and when he knew it.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #556 on: September 21, 2018, 09:24:13 AM »

I was wondering how long Trump can keep his trap shut.

This is a ridiculous thing to suggest, and if someone close to Kavanaugh who knew what they were doing had said this, it’d cast serious doubt on him.

Of course, this is Trump, so...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #557 on: September 21, 2018, 09:32:31 AM »

Another question I have is... why was she at a "small party" with three boys none of which went to her school or is apparently willing to vouch for her decades later? Who did she go to this party with? Who invited her? How did she get home? The only reason I ask is because Brett, Mark, and PJ are all students at Georgetown Prep who still like each other decades later. Christine is the odd one out.

I'm interested in how she got home.

Maybe a victim won't be paying too much attention to how she got to the party.  After she runs from the house, after the attempt, would stick out.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #558 on: September 21, 2018, 10:07:17 AM »

You mean no evidence other than the fact she knew both Kavanaugh quite well, as well as the sacrificial goat Kavanaugh's friend is suggesting was the "real" assailant, but she consisetently identified Kavanaugh as her assailant, and recently just as emphatically said she'd know if it was the other guy only but it wasn't?

Got it. "No evidence". A sexual assault occurred, but her ID of someone she knew very well, saw ALL too up close and personal, not a SCRAP of evidence suggesting why she might be mistaken beyond "reasons" and "maybe", and you still have the obstinance to pavlovian respond "no evidence".

The sole evidence that we have is that, in 2012, Ford stated that, while in high school she was assaulted.  We don't have her statement, at that point, that it was Kavanaugh.  We have a record of her statement, that she has furnished, that materially differs from her current statement.

This is the sole evidence. 

We know that is 2012, Kavanaugh was a public figure and that her family had dealing with Kavanaugh. Even Ford claimed that she knew that Kananaugh was a public figure.

The sole evidence, at this point, is Ford's statement, about someone she knew was a public figure, which is recorded as being materially different from her current claim.

So far, the people that Ford has claimed were present in the area, state that this incident did not happen.  There is not even hearsay evidence that this incident occurred or that the particular party occurred, at this point.   Certainly the Senate should look for that evidence, even for just the party. 

Absent of anything else, this is not Ford's word against Kavanaugh's. This is Ford's word against the record of her prior statement, the people that she claims were witnesses, and finally Kavanaugh's word.  The preponderance of evidence, currently, does not support Ford's claim. 

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #559 on: September 21, 2018, 10:10:44 AM »

You mean no evidence other than the fact she knew both Kavanaugh quite well, as well as the sacrificial goat Kavanaugh's friend is suggesting was the "real" assailant, but she consisetently identified Kavanaugh as her assailant, and recently just as emphatically said she'd know if it was the other guy only but it wasn't?

Got it. "No evidence". A sexual assault occurred, but her ID of someone she knew very well, saw ALL too up close and personal, not a SCRAP of evidence suggesting why she might be mistaken beyond "reasons" and "maybe", and you still have the obstinance to pavlovian respond "no evidence".

The sole evidence that we have is that, in 2012, Ford stated that, while in high school she was assaulted.  We don't have her statement, at that point, that it was Kavanaugh.  We have a record of her statement, that she has furnished, that materially differs from her current statement.

She told her husband in 2002, and if a thorough investigation were done no doubt we'd turn up some contemporaneous accounts based on the number of people who've said that lots of people who discussed at their school.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #560 on: September 21, 2018, 10:19:52 AM »

We know that is 2012, Kavanaugh was a public figure and that her family had dealing with Kavanaugh.

You really think she endeavored to determine if the judge in her mom's case (a routine proceeding to rubber stamp a deal made with a bank) happened to be related to someone she knew in high school?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #561 on: September 21, 2018, 10:21:27 AM »

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Friday said that Brett Kavanaugh will be on the Supreme Court "in the very near future" even as President Trump's nominee faces a sexual assault allegation.  

"You've watched the fight, you've watched the tactics, but here's what I want to tell you: In the very near future Judge Kavanaugh will be on the United States Supreme Court," McConnell said while speaking at the Values Voter Summit in Washington, D.C.

He added that Trump has "nominated a stunningly successful individual" and told conservatives not to get "rattled" because Senate Republicans are going to "plow right through it."

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/407761-mcconnell-kavanaugh-will-be-on-supreme-court-in-very-near-future
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #562 on: September 21, 2018, 10:39:13 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2018, 10:42:38 AM by ProudModerate2 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #563 on: September 21, 2018, 10:45:11 AM »

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Friday said that Brett Kavanaugh will be on the Supreme Court "in the very near future" even as President Trump's nominee faces a sexual assault allegation.  

"You've watched the fight, you've watched the tactics, but here's what I want to tell you: In the very near future Judge Kavanaugh will be on the United States Supreme Court," McConnell said while speaking at the Values Voter Summit in Washington, D.C.

He added that Trump has "nominated a stunningly successful individual" and told conservatives not to get "rattled" because Senate Republicans are going to "plow right through it."

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/407761-mcconnell-kavanaugh-will-be-on-supreme-court-in-very-near-future

Seems that McTurtle and probably many other GOP Senators already have their minds made-up, so what good is having Ford speak? This is incredible.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #564 on: September 21, 2018, 11:32:39 AM »

We know that is 2012, Kavanaugh was a public figure and that her family had dealing with Kavanaugh.

You really think she endeavored to determine if the judge in her mom's case (a routine proceeding to rubber stamp a deal made with a bank) happened to be related to someone she knew in high school?

It might have been mentioned, e.g. "We had a Judge Kavanaugh.  Didn't you go to school with her son?"
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #565 on: September 21, 2018, 11:35:07 AM »

It might have been mentioned, e.g. "We had a Judge Kavanaugh.  Didn't you go to school with her son?"

"Oh yeah, I did."

"Well, she signed the papers that let us keep our house."

"Cool, in a few decades I'll fabricate a story to destroy him."
elcorazon

« Reply #566 on: September 21, 2018, 11:45:46 AM »

there is LITERALLY ZERO evidence that this happened. But go ahead and make stuff up.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #567 on: September 21, 2018, 11:57:22 AM »

She told her husband in 2002, and if a thorough investigation were done no doubt we'd turn up some contemporaneous accounts based on the number of people who've said that lots of people who discussed at their school.

The husband might just be a bit bias.

I would be surprised if there were contemporaneous rumors. That would back up Ford's story, but her account indicates that she did not spread it around.  I understand why she would not say anything (I wholeheartedly disagree with Trump's tweet about it).

I am concerned that there isn't even confirmation that Ford, Judge and Kavanaugh were at a party together.  Surely there were other women at the party who might remember that and won't "cover for a bro."

Once you interview the people that Ford says were there, and/or anyone who claims that they were there, I'm at a loss to figure out what additional investigation there could be.  You could eliminate all the houses in Montgomery County, MD that didn't have a pool in 1982, but that won't help all that much.

All that said, I think someone attempted to assault Ford in 1982; it could have even Kavanaugh, but not as she is describing it. 

Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #568 on: September 21, 2018, 12:01:07 PM »

I would be surprised if there were contemporaneous rumors. That would back up Ford's story, but her account indicates that she did not spread it around.  I understand why she would not say anything (I wholeheartedly disagree with Trump's tweet about it).

I am concerned that there isn't even confirmation that Ford, Judge and Kavanaugh were at a party together.  Surely there were other women at the party who might remember that and won't "cover for a bro."

Once you interview the people that Ford says were there, and/or anyone who claims that they were there, I'm at a loss to figure out what additional investigation there could be.  You could eliminate all the houses in Montgomery County, MD that didn't have a pool in 1982, but that won't help all that much.

All that said, I think someone attempted to assault Ford in 1982; it could have even Kavanaugh, but not as she is describing it. 

Good to know we should all trust your opinion of what happened over the actual victim, right?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #569 on: September 21, 2018, 12:02:47 PM »

I guess. But it's the 2nd time I've seen you bring this up and I still fail to see the significance.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #570 on: September 21, 2018, 12:06:12 PM »

I'm sure that the people defending Kavanaugh would be just as forgiving of Hillary Clinton if she had used a private email server when she was 17 as well.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #571 on: September 21, 2018, 12:12:12 PM »

Good to know we should all trust your opinion of what happened over the actual victim, right?

No, we should trust evidence. By her own admission, Ford does not remember the details.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #572 on: September 21, 2018, 12:16:28 PM »

I'm sure that the people defending Kavanaugh would be just as forgiving of Hillary Clinton if she had used a private email server when she was 17 as well.

Only White men deserve second (and third, and fourth, and fifth) chances, don't you know?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #573 on: September 21, 2018, 03:05:14 PM »

tallguy23
United States

« Reply #574 on: September 21, 2018, 03:34:43 PM »

CNN's Randi Kaye speaks to Republican women in Florida about Christine Blasey Ford's sexual assault allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

Please watch video here: https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/09/21/gop-women-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-florida-kaye-pkg-ac-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/brett-kavanaugh-sexual-misconduct-allegations/

----------------------------------

Some of the video highlights ....

Women#1: "But in the grand scheme of things, my goodness. There was no intercourse. There was maybe a touch. Can we ... really ... thirty-six years later? She is still stuck on that?"

Women#2: "But we are talking about a 17 year-old boy in high school, (with) testosterone running high. Tell me what boy hasn't done this in high school? Please, I would like to know?"

----------------------------------

Jesus Christ! Are these f***ing people for real? What planet do they live on, because it cant be Earth.
I seriously wanted to vomit after seeing this video.

Most 17-year old boys I went to high school with never attempted to rape someone. These women are garbage people.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies