2004 Dem primaries w/o 9/11
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:49:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Dem primaries w/o 9/11
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2004 Dem primaries w/o 9/11  (Read 469 times)
Wolf
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2018, 10:11:22 PM »

If 9/11 never happens, what do the 2004 Democratic Party presidential primaries look like?

Does Al Gore run again? Does Hillary Clinton run? Does John Kerry still run? What about Howard Dean? John Edwards?

What would the 2004 Dem primary map look like?
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 11:41:52 PM »

My hot take is that Wesley Clark would win, just because of his military experience.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 10:51:04 AM »

This isn't a very popular answer, but I tend to think that Al Gore would have tried for a rematch and maybe even won the election if there was neither a 9/11 nor an Iraq and the desire for a "war president" that came with those. If Iraq still happens, Kerry runs and wins the nomination, but his primary rivals do somewhat better.

The peacetime election would concern the deteriorating economy and the gay marriage debate, for which Gore might pick populist primary rival John Edwards as his running mate. He would already be looking for more Southern appeal based on 2000 and the past success of Bill Clinton.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 12:47:23 PM »

I suspect that Biden runs instead of Kerry. I feel like Kerry was pressured to run because he was a war hero.

The Democrats would gain control of Congress in the 2002 midterms, so taxes and healthcare would be bigger issues.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 01:27:59 PM »

This isn't a very popular answer, but I tend to think that Al Gore would have tried for a rematch and maybe even won the election if there was neither a 9/11 nor an Iraq and the desire for a "war president" that came with those. If Iraq still happens, Kerry runs and wins the nomination, but his primary rivals do somewhat better.

The peacetime election would concern the deteriorating economy and the gay marriage debate, for which Gore might pick populist primary rival John Edwards as his running mate. He would already be looking for more Southern appeal based on 2000 and the past success of Bill Clinton.

I think you might actually be right. A lot of people thought Bush was doomed to be a one-termer before 9/11. Questions about his legitimacy and what went down in the 2000 election would have remained potent issues longer, for one thing. Al Gore could easily campaign as the guy who should be president anyway, and blast Bush for a middling economy compared to Clinton’s and unpopular domestic policies like Social Security privatization. Bush would have to answer for that instead of making the whole thing about how true patriots vote for the president in wartime. This is one rematch I could see being pulled off. I’m not sure Gore goes with Edwards but it’s possible and could work for him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies