FL-GOV 2018: Ron DeSantis vs. Andrew Gillum: Who wins?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 06:52:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-GOV 2018: Ron DeSantis vs. Andrew Gillum: Who wins?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19
Poll
Question: Who wins this matchup?
Andrew Gillum (D-Fla.)

Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 292

Author Topic: FL-GOV 2018: Ron DeSantis vs. Andrew Gillum: Who wins?  (Read 43907 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: November 06, 2018, 11:40:29 PM »

Or she might have run behind Gillum.  No way to know.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #401 on: November 06, 2018, 11:42:38 PM »

WOW, the FLORIDA DEMOCRATIC PARTY threw away a winnable race? THIS IS A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS THAT NOBODY COULD HAVE PREDICTED.

Anyone who thinks racism wasn't a factor in this election is blind.

DeSantis takes a mostly consistent 4 point lead in the polls within a month and doesn't relinquish it through the campaign. With better organization and less skeletons in his closet, DeSantis easily out-raises and out-campaigns Gillum. Democrats blame racism, voting laws, and money as it becomes clear on election night that they have needlessly thrown away yet another winnable Florida race by nominating the FLGOP dream candidate.

My prediction wasn't all correct, but this part was certainly on the money.

DeSantis called Gillum a "monkey" and was attacked by racist robocalls by nazis and you still believe racism didn't play a factor in his loss?

Gillum is a scandal tainted radical who was, as I said a few months ago, the GOP's dream candidate. There was never a need to grasp for factors of his loss beyond that. You can try to ignore who he is and look for other reasons he lost, but when it came down to it Gillum was a terrible candidate who was always going to struggle to win in anything less than a blue tide.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #402 on: November 06, 2018, 11:46:33 PM »

I take back all the good things I wanted to say about Florida. You are, and probably always will be, my least favorite state. I hope those f***ing Hamilton tickets were worth it, Gillum!
NeederNodder
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -7.28

« Reply #403 on: November 06, 2018, 11:50:11 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2018, 12:23:37 AM by NeederNodder »

WOW, the FLORIDA DEMOCRATIC PARTY threw away a winnable race? THIS IS A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS THAT NOBODY COULD HAVE PREDICTED.

Anyone who thinks racism wasn't a factor in this election is blind.

DeSantis takes a mostly consistent 4 point lead in the polls within a month and doesn't relinquish it through the campaign. With better organization and less skeletons in his closet, DeSantis easily out-raises and out-campaigns Gillum. Democrats blame racism, voting laws, and money as it becomes clear on election night that they have needlessly thrown away yet another winnable Florida race by nominating the FLGOP dream candidate.

My prediction wasn't all correct, but this part was certainly on the money.

DeSantis called Gillum a "monkey" and was attacked by racist robocalls by nazis and you still believe racism didn't play a factor in his loss?

Gillum is a scandal tainted radical who was, as I said a few months ago, the GOP's dream candidate. There was never a need to grasp for factors of his loss beyond that. You can try to ignore who he is and look for other reasons he lost, but when it came down to it Gillum was a terrible candidate who was always going to struggle to win in anything less than a blue tide.

You do realize the last governor literally embroiled in even bigger scandals himself? It's rich for you to claim I'm ignoring yet you are still ignoring that there was Gillum's attacks were fueled by racism when there was Jim-Crow style robocalls running throughout the state against him ran by neo-nazis.  This election wasn't about scandals, it was about fueling prejudices in order to get votes smothered in voter suppression.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #404 on: November 06, 2018, 11:58:10 PM »

But at least we now know that progressive black candidates don't work in the South (at least in Florida and Georgia).
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #405 on: November 06, 2018, 11:58:51 PM »

But at least we now know that progressive black candidates don't work in the South (at least in Florida and Georgia).

Sadly, I agree.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #406 on: November 07, 2018, 12:28:27 AM »

If the Florida Democratic Party registers more voters and turns them out they win and it's not that hard. They also have to get their early voting game to be even better. They're never going to beat a bunch of counties with smaller populations voting in a lot of places vs a few huge urban counties trying to cram a large vote on election day.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #407 on: November 07, 2018, 12:55:28 AM »

In other news, due to the results of the Senate race, Lt. Gov. Carlos López-Cantera will become Florida's 46th governor on Jan. 3rd & hold office for 5 days.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #408 on: November 07, 2018, 01:51:01 AM »

I take back all the good things I wanted to say about Florida. You are, and probably always will be, my least favorite state. I hope those f***ing Hamilton tickets were worth it, Gillum!

Lesson: Never say good things about Florida. I lived there for decades--it's beyond trash.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #409 on: November 07, 2018, 02:02:51 AM »

Lesson: Never say good things about Florida. I lived there for decades--it's beyond trash.

In all honesty, I am shocked by the victories of DeSantis and Scott (apparent) in Florida. Honestly-what happened? Especially since Mucrasel-Powell and Shalala won in South Florida.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #410 on: November 07, 2018, 02:40:58 AM »

Wonder why there is such a difference between this unofficial link for Broward?

https://tqv.vrswebapps.com/?state=FL&county=bro

And this one

https://enr.electionsfl.org/BRO/Summary/1985/

That's a difference of 66,716 ballots cast.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #411 on: November 07, 2018, 02:55:58 AM »

So, there was a Bradley effect again? This is the biggest disappointment; maybe Graham or Levine would have won.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #412 on: November 07, 2018, 03:06:53 AM »

So, there was a Bradley effect again? This is the biggest disappointment; maybe Graham or Levine would have won.

These were always close races. The polls were garbage, like always. Any competitive Florida statewide race is coming down to a few percentage points. Also anybody paying attention saw Republicans were very strong in early voting. People keep saying EV doesn't matter in Florida and they're wrong. It totally matters.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #413 on: November 07, 2018, 03:09:42 AM »

These were always close races. The polls were garbage, like always. Any competitive Florida statewide race is coming down to a few percentage points. Also anybody paying attention saw Republicans were very strong in early voting. People keep saying EV doesn't matter in Florida and they're wrong. It totally matters.

Agree. I think regardless of the outcome in 2020, Democrats will lose or win the presidency without Florida.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #414 on: November 07, 2018, 03:10:41 AM »

I mean one of the last polls had Gillum up by 1% (ironically much like Bradley's in 1982)
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #415 on: November 07, 2018, 04:17:56 AM »

One glorious overlooked fact from this race; the florida supreme is one of the most partisan state supreme court's in the country, being stacked with holdovers from the Chiles era. The court in a controversial decision that disregarded well over a century of precedent, ruled that the next governor would appoint their replacements rather than Rick Scott (most likely assuming a den win). No they get to be replaced by an even more conservative governor than Scott
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #416 on: November 07, 2018, 04:36:12 AM »

Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #417 on: November 07, 2018, 09:48:36 AM »

Racism won in Florida last night, but what more should I expect from Floridians! Poor Gillum!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #418 on: November 07, 2018, 10:34:14 AM »

Racism won in Florida last night, but what more should I expect from Floridians! Poor Gillum!

Yeah, I've lost any sympathy for Florida. This is the third 1% heartbreaker in a row: 2010, 2014 and now 2018. A guy who committed Medicare fraud and now Mr. Monkey-it-up. Lawton Chiles still the last Democrat being elected governor in 1994. This sucks. In addition, Florida gave us Dubya. I'm done with this state.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #419 on: November 07, 2018, 11:08:55 AM »

Look, your guy took bribes from an undercover agent and still came within 1%, that is pretty good for you guys
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #420 on: November 07, 2018, 11:15:09 AM »

There's hasn't been any proof Gillum took a bribe.

To prove bribery, the Supreme Court has held that “payments are made in return for an explicit promise or undertaking by the official to perform an official act.”
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #421 on: November 07, 2018, 11:46:11 AM »

Not sure if this is real

Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #422 on: November 07, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2018, 04:55:01 PM by Da2017 »

I cannot believe what happened last night.Gillum had a bright future ahead of. He had all the enthusiasm on his side.I,m  devastated.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #423 on: November 07, 2018, 02:39:21 PM »

Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #424 on: November 07, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »

"A white guy who is a republican won against a liberal who just happens to be black! Racism!"

By your ridiculous logic I could day the same about MI SEN.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies