Posters who are rooting for a Trump collapse...why?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:07:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Posters who are rooting for a Trump collapse...why?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Posters who are rooting for a Trump collapse...why?  (Read 3145 times)
twenty42
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2018, 12:26:09 PM »

Every day when I look at the approval thread and a lot of other posts on here, I notice that many posters seem to be pining for Trump's approval ratings to plummet into the 20s a la Nixon or GWB at the end of their administrations. Stability in the polls seems to frustrate people, as if their lives are made worse by Trump's approval remaining in the 40s.

My question is, what exactly would be so appealing about a collapse in Trump's numbers? His approvals falling to catastrophic levels would likely result in congressional gridlock, economic downfall, and a weaker position on the world stage. Eras such as 1974 and 2008 were pretty terrible times to live through as an American citizen, and I'd think most people are old enough to at least remember the latter.

It just seems more and more to me that Trump detractors are rooting for misery and failure in America simply because they hate the party in control that much. That doesn't make you much of a citizen if you ask me.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 12:29:05 PM »

lolwut
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 12:38:01 PM »

1974 & 2008 were crap times because of presidential failings, not because of low approval ratings.

If you see people rooting for an approval rating collapse, it’s merely a desire for people to understand how awful a person and president Trump is, and produce a political environment where embracing him is frowned upon. It feels crass to vocalise this, but this is a crass time, thanks in no small part to the president.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 12:39:53 PM »

Rooting for a polling collapse is nothing more than "I want everyone to agree with me" which is at the heart of politics in the first place (and at the heart of anything really)
Rhenna
Gabor
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 12:40:36 PM »

1974 & 2008 were crap times because of presidential failings, not because of low approval ratings.

If you see people rooting for an approval rating collapse, it’s merely a desire for people to understand how awful a person and president Trump is, and produce a political environment where embracing him is frowned upon. It feels crass to vocalise this, but this is a crass time, thanks in no small part to the president.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 12:48:02 PM »

Because a Trump collapse of sorts would lead to a change in political coalitions that could allow to us fix the fundamental problems the country faces and restore the middle class in a decade or so?
twenty42
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 12:49:49 PM »

So using this logic, rooting for a collapse in Trump's approval ratings is tantamount to rooting for a collapse of America. That's cool.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 12:53:26 PM »

Because a Trump collapse of sorts would lead to a change in political coalitions that could allow to us fix the fundamental problems the country faces and restore the middle class in a decade or so?

This is exactly what happened in 2008, which set off a chain reaction of Republicans taking back both houses of congress and eventually electing Donald Trump to the presidency. The further you pull a pendulum to one side, the harder it swings back the other way.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 01:04:55 PM »

So using this logic, rooting for a collapse in Trump's approval ratings is tantamount to rooting for a collapse of America. That's cool.

You have got it all wrong. It all comes down to the fact that we are all in league with MS-13 to make all Senators kneel during the national anthem while engaging in pedophilia.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 01:08:13 PM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 01:16:44 PM »

In order to trigger you, of course.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 01:19:42 PM »

Because i like to see bad people fail....they fail? Im happy about it.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »

Well part of the president "failing" would include millions of good people suffering financially, and perhaps losing loved ones. That doesn't make you a very good person, in my view.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 01:35:52 PM »

There are presidents who have done far less harm to the country than he has, while suffering far lower approval ratings. This is not fair.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 01:36:04 PM »

Well part of the president "failing" would include millions of good people suffering financially, and perhaps losing loved ones. That doesn't make you a very good person, in my view.
lol...like you care when millions of people suffer financially every day or lose loved ones due to things like lack of good medical coverage. Please...let the republican moralize.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 01:37:04 PM »

the people you describe in the op are probably referring to approval ratings, i.e. they think trump is a sucky president and they want more americans to perceive the same (in contrast to trump's current relatively high approval ratings)
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2018, 01:46:04 PM »

lol
twenty42
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2018, 01:48:57 PM »

lol...like you care when millions of people suffer financially every day or lose loved ones due to things like lack of good medical coverage. Please...let the republican moralize.

Democrats didn't exactly do a great job with healthcare, if you recall. There was a reason why Republicans won the House vote by 6.8% and the Senate vote by 5.4% in 2010.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2018, 01:49:00 PM »

Lol, you vote for a party that tried to strip millions from their healthcare.

Don't patronize us.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2018, 01:53:57 PM »

Don't patronize us.

And you reelected a president who boldface lied to the American people about healthcare. We can go round and round with this.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2018, 01:59:38 PM »

Don't patronize us.

And you reelected a president who boldface lied to the American people about healthcare. We can go round and round with this.

He also expanded coverage for millions of Americans and cut the uninsured rate by half.

What have Republicans done about healthcare the last 8 years? They have tried to weaken the ACA at ever turn, refused to take the feds money to expand Medicaid, and then crafted a bill that strip millions of their coverage to give fat cats a tax cuts.

Seriously, just shut up. Republicans should be the last one getting on their moral high horse about caring about people suffering.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2018, 02:14:56 PM »

Don't patronize us.

He also expanded coverage for millions of Americans and cut the uninsured rate by half.

What have Republicans done about healthcare the last 8 years? They have tried to weaken the ACA at ever turn, refused to take the feds money to expand Medicaid, and then crafted a bill that strip millions of their coverage to give fat cats a tax cuts.

Seriously, just shut up. Republicans should be the last one getting on their moral high horse about caring about people suffering.

Whoa buddy...calm your boner. Mondale made a comment, and I replied to it. He put it out there that he wants Trump's presidency to be a failure. I don't know about you, but I think a failed presidency would consist of bad economic conditions and quixotic war(s). Nobody who calls themselves an American should be rooting for those things. I despised Obama and voted against him twice, but I never WANTED him to be a bad president.

But look what I'm dealing with. Liberals claim to hate whataboutism, but it's their knee-jerk reaction whenever an uncomfortable truth is espoused.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2018, 02:53:17 PM »

This forum is full of people who are still students, or who don't work for a living, have accomplished little (whatever their potential may be) and exist in much of a theoretical universe.  Trump's crashing and burning will give them the ego satisfaction of being right.  As many of these types are not yet productive citizens (albeit preparing to be), they will not be paying the price the rest of America will pay.  At least not right away.

I can't afford for America to fail.  America fails when our President fails, at least at some levels.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2018, 02:57:42 PM »

Because it wouldn't be best for the country if he loses in 2020 and the lower his approval rating the better chance of that happening. He is far too unstable to hold such a serious position.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2018, 02:59:59 PM »

This forum is full of people who are still students, or who don't work for a living, have accomplished little (whatever their potential may be) and exist in much of a theoretical universe.  Trump's crashing and burning will give them the ego satisfaction of being right.  As many of these types are not yet productive citizens (albeit preparing to be), they will not be paying the price the rest of America will pay.  At least not right away.

I can't afford for America to fail.  America fails when our President fails, at least at some levels.

This. I'm a student myself, so technically I would fit in the categories described here. But what he says is exactly correct. Many of the posters on here don't seem to understand that most working Americans have different priorities and different concerns than they.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies