New Hampshire Megathread: Sherman in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:37:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New Hampshire Megathread: Sherman in
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: New Hampshire Megathread: Sherman in  (Read 31734 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: November 11, 2020, 08:35:08 PM »

Republicans have united around Dick Hinch, a strong conservative voice who isn't explicitly allied with the Trump wing. Trump acolyte Al Baldasaro flirted with a run of his own, but decided against it in the name of unity.

The current speaker, Steve Shurtleff, has stood down, endorsing outgoing House Majority Leader/teacher's union president Doug Ley (D-Jaffrey). He seems progressive enough. Not explicitly allied with any specific wing (I believe he endorsed Klobuchar), but seems fine.

Others are running. Long-time state representative Marjorie Smith (D-Strafford) has decided to throw her hat in the ring, representing the Michael Bennet wing of the NHDP. Again, not a bad choice.

Renny Cushing (D-Hampton) is a strong Berniecrat who is considering a run as well. He's well-regarded for being the main voice pushing for the successful repeal of the death penalty (which could become relevant again, given the NHGOP has a trifecta and one of their "defectors" in the state senate lost in the primary). He would be my pick if he ran.

What's the Michael Bennet wing of the NHDP?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #201 on: November 11, 2020, 11:10:21 PM »

Republicans have united around Dick Hinch, a strong conservative voice who isn't explicitly allied with the Trump wing. Trump acolyte Al Baldasaro flirted with a run of his own, but decided against it in the name of unity.

The current speaker, Steve Shurtleff, has stood down, endorsing outgoing House Majority Leader/teacher's union president Doug Ley (D-Jaffrey). He seems progressive enough. Not explicitly allied with any specific wing (I believe he endorsed Klobuchar), but seems fine.

Others are running. Long-time state representative Marjorie Smith (D-Strafford) has decided to throw her hat in the ring, representing the Michael Bennet wing of the NHDP. Again, not a bad choice.

Renny Cushing (D-Hampton) is a strong Berniecrat who is considering a run as well. He's well-regarded for being the main voice pushing for the successful repeal of the death penalty (which could become relevant again, given the NHGOP has a trifecta and one of their "defectors" in the state senate lost in the primary). He would be my pick if he ran.

She endorsed Michael Bennet.

Much like how Paul Hodes was the Marianne Williamson wing of the NHDP.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2020, 11:21:06 PM »

She endorsed Michael Bennet.

Much like how Paul Hodes was the Marianne Williamson wing of the NHDP.
Ah. I see.

I always thought Bennet would do decently (like 3%) in NH primary. Alas I was very wrong.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2020, 05:21:08 PM »

* Democrats elected Renny Cushing to be their leader. I'm very pleasantly surprised, and glad to see that at least one state party is looking for unity with the left.

* Gardner is running again, which is a surprise. There were rumblings of a retirement. With the commission in the past and GOP control, this is Safe Gardner.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #204 on: November 20, 2020, 12:37:26 AM »

* Democrats elected Renny Cushing to be their leader. I'm very pleasantly surprised, and glad to see that at least one state party is looking for unity with the left.

So, Democrats in NH wish to prolonge their stay in minority?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #205 on: November 20, 2020, 01:54:30 AM »

You clearly don't know Renny Cushing if you're saying that. He's a leftist, but he's much closer to Mondaire Jones's or Andru Volinsky's style than someone like me or AOC. He knows how to get things done (and has - he's the reason we have death penalty repeal!), and he's a unifier.

The NHDP's approach to the Bernie/leftist caucus in the state is a refreshing change from the DNC screaming "REEEEE HE'S A BERNIE BRO WE CAN'T ENDORSE HIM". If the national party was anything like my state party, I'd still be a Democrat.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #206 on: November 20, 2020, 02:49:38 AM »
« Edited: November 20, 2020, 04:37:45 AM by smoltchanov »

You clearly don't know Renny Cushing if you're saying that. He's a leftist, but he's much closer to Mondaire Jones's or Andru Volinsky's style than someone like me or AOC. He knows how to get things done (and has - he's the reason we have death penalty repeal!), and he's a unifier.

The NHDP's approach to the Bernie/leftist caucus in the state is a refreshing change from the DNC screaming "REEEEE HE'S A BERNIE BRO WE CAN'T ENDORSE HIM". If the national party was anything like my state party, I'd still be a Democrat.

You - may be. Many - wouldn't (exactly because of that). And, obviously, living in Moscow i don't know Renny Cushing. But i DO know Berniecrats "in general" (yes, there are some in Moscow too...)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #207 on: November 20, 2020, 04:45:24 AM »

You - may be. Many - wouldn't (exactly because of that). And, obviously, living in Moscow i don't know Renny Cushing. But i DO know Berniecrats "in general"..

It seems extremely Atlas brain to suggest that there would be enough of a swing because the House Minority Leader is a Berniecrat. Nobody really knows who the Speaker is, let alone the Minority Leader!
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #208 on: November 20, 2020, 05:15:28 AM »
« Edited: November 20, 2020, 08:26:36 AM by smoltchanov »

You - may be. Many - wouldn't (exactly because of that). And, obviously, living in Moscow i don't know Renny Cushing. But i DO know Berniecrats "in general"..

It seems extremely Atlas brain to suggest that there would be enough of a swing because the House Minority Leader is a Berniecrat. Nobody really knows who the Speaker is, let alone the Minority Leader!

Let's see. But i don't think that at least somewhat polarizing figure is of big help just after party lost it's majority in legislature. Not sure whether some moderate Republicans are left, but some years ago Democrats and Republican moderates successfully blocked ultra-right Republican for Speaker forming a sort of working coalition (or, at least, electing moderate Speaker). But for this to happen there must be some concessions from BOTH sides. And minimum polarizing figures in leadership.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #209 on: November 20, 2020, 05:22:38 AM »

I actually hope Sununu runs for Senator, against Hassan and Ducey runs against Kelly, both Chris and Ducey haven't built up a natl profile like John Sununu has. Chris Sununu came dangerously close to losing to Molly Kelly a Hassan candidate in 2018, the Gov race being vacant will open the door for one of our retread candidates Marchant, or Feltas to come in and win the Gov race and generate turnout in NH Senate😃😃😃
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #210 on: November 20, 2020, 05:34:40 AM »

Let's see. But i don't think an at least somewhat polarizing figure is of big help just after party lost it's majority in legislature. Not sure whether some moderate Republicans are left, but some years ago Democrats and Republican moderates successfully blocked ultra-right Republican for Speaker forming a sort of working coalition. But for this to happen there must be some concessions from BOTH sides. And minimum polarizing figures in leadership.

Cushing isn't a polarizing figure, though. You have to be REALLY bad in order to be known here (like Bill O'Brien, the ultra-right Republican you mentioned, was in 2010). Even then O'Brien was more infamous for being a scumbag than being far-right. There was a "moderate revolt" in 2014.because he was an awful leader who waged war against his own party!

It's more about personality rather than ideology. Cushing doesn't have the personality to become a bogeyman.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #211 on: November 20, 2020, 08:48:14 AM »

Let's see. But i don't think an at least somewhat polarizing figure is of big help just after party lost it's majority in legislature. Not sure whether some moderate Republicans are left, but some years ago Democrats and Republican moderates successfully blocked ultra-right Republican for Speaker forming a sort of working coalition. But for this to happen there must be some concessions from BOTH sides. And minimum polarizing figures in leadership.

Cushing isn't a polarizing figure, though. You have to be REALLY bad in order to be known here (like Bill O'Brien, the ultra-right Republican you mentioned, was in 2010). Even then O'Brien was more infamous for being a scumbag than being far-right. There was a "moderate revolt" in 2014.because he was an awful leader who waged war against his own party!

It's more about personality rather than ideology. Cushing doesn't have the personality to become a bogeyman.

Good, if so. As i said - we shall see in the near future..
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #212 on: December 09, 2020, 06:45:28 PM »

Quite a shock. He was just elected Speaker.

I don't know what House procedure is for this, but I am interested to see if the House GOP rallies to another Speaker candidate quickly. I would guess that the Acting Speaker will probably get the job full time sometime soon.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #213 on: December 10, 2020, 03:27:30 PM »

The cause of death is confirmed to be COVID.

Wear your masks, people. And wear them the right way.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #214 on: December 14, 2020, 10:09:26 PM »

Regina Barnes's downward spiral has been something to watch. On paper, she looked like a strong candidate. Vice chair of the Select Board in the largest city in the district, strong local ties, the whole nine yards. Most outside observers thought she was a favorite (including myself) until Sununu stepped in to endorse Gargiulo for some reason. Come to find out after the primary that it was because Barnes backed his primary opponent, and she was essentially running against masks and lockdowns.

She lost her primary, 70-30. Since then, she's gone completely off the rails, with a different controversy every month. She's recently endorsed QAnon (not that it hurt Kevin Avard), and has come under fire for making racist, anti-Semitic, and transphobic comments regarding masks. What pushed everyone over the edge was appearing on a far-right podcast (whose host is known for being an unhinged racist) and calling our local Black Lives Matter chapter "Burn, Loot, Murder".

This was apparently enough for the Select Board to censure her. The vote was 3-2 (including her own no vote), over her cries of the Republican chair supporting "Marxist communists".
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #215 on: December 14, 2020, 10:30:28 PM »

State representative Dawn Johnson (R-Laconia) has faced calls for her resignation after sharing an article from the Daily Stormer. I'm not going to share the article, but it contained an extremely anti-Semitic graphic with a play on a white nationalist slogan with the N-word in it.

Johnson apologized and claimed "unawareness of the source" when she posted it. The controversy came when she posted about Facebook censoring her when she tried to share it to everyone. It's also pretty clear from the content that it was racist.

Most people don't think this is good enough and are demanding her resignation. There have been protests in her home town and widespread condemnation from both sides of the aisle. Sununu offered his condemnation, but stopped short of calling on her to resign.

moderate reasonable republicans btw, support the good ones still left Smiley
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #216 on: December 16, 2020, 02:27:21 AM »

Rochester City Councilman/business owner/former EC candidate Emmett Soldati has decided to run for NHDP chair. He's explicitly running on building the state party up from local apparatuses up. There's an impression that the NHDP is losing connection to its communities. He has my endorsement. Soldati has a history of overperforming, nearly running even with Plunkett and overperforming her and Warmington in his turf, and is deeply connected around various NH circles.

There have been a lot of red flags recently that support Soldati's claims of the tail wagging the dog. Aside from the obvious, there's the 2018 SoS race (which we could have won if the NHDP didn't turn the nominating process into a coronation), and the party's immediate embrace of Dan Feltes (most progressive candidate in years, worst campaigner I've seen in NH politics).
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #217 on: December 16, 2020, 02:49:40 AM »

State representative Dawn Johnson (R-Laconia) has faced calls for her resignation after sharing an article from the Daily Stormer. I'm not going to share the article, but it contained an extremely anti-Semitic graphic with a play on a white nationalist slogan with the N-word in it.

Johnson apologized and claimed "unawareness of the source" when she posted it. The controversy came when she posted about Facebook censoring her when she tried to share it to everyone. It's also pretty clear from the content that it was racist.

Most people don't think this is good enough and are demanding her resignation. There have been protests in her home town and widespread condemnation from both sides of the aisle. Sununu offered his condemnation, but stopped short of calling on her to resign.

moderate reasonable republicans btw, support the good ones still left Smiley

people like johnson are such an embarrassment
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #218 on: December 16, 2020, 12:45:34 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2020, 12:50:31 PM by RecoveringDem »

Rochester City Councilman/business owner/former EC candidate Emmett Soldati has decided to run for NHDP chair. He's explicitly running on building the state party up from local apparatuses up. There's an impression that the NHDP is losing connection to its communities. He has my endorsement. Soldati has a history of overperforming, nearly running even with Plunkett and overperforming her and Warmington in his turf, and is deeply connected around various NH circles.

There have been a lot of red flags recently that support Soldati's claims of the tail wagging the dog. Aside from the obvious, there's the 2018 SoS race (which we could have won if the NHDP didn't turn the nominating process into a coronation), and the party's immediate embrace of Dan Feltes (most progressive candidate in years, worst campaigner I've seen in NH politics).

Oh boy. Stand by for Buckley twitter meltdown.

I hope he wins. Buckley has obviously done an incredible job bringing Dems from the perpetual minority party to the prevailing force in NH politics over the last several years. But you are right about the red flags (I think Buckley has been particularly ineffective with regards to Sununu - he clearly doesn't know how to land a message against him, which is alarming for 2022), and new blood / energy can only help the party. I hope Buckley gracefully decides to bow out and pass on the reigns but that seems very unlikely.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #219 on: December 16, 2020, 07:44:49 PM »

I hope he wins. Buckley has obviously done an incredible job bringing Dems from the perpetual minority party to the prevailing force in NH politics over the last several years. But you are right about the red flags (I think Buckley has been particularly ineffective with regards to Sununu - he clearly doesn't know how to land a message against him, which is alarming for 2022), and new blood / energy can only help the party. I hope Buckley gracefully decides to bow out and pass on the reigns but that seems very unlikely.

Of course. The entire strategy has been repeating "orange man bad" over and over again. Not showing how Sununu has been similar to Trump, making him seem like less of a moderate, or whatever. Just repeating a 4-year-old debate line ad nauseam.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #220 on: December 16, 2020, 07:46:14 PM »

Of course. The entire strategy has been repeating "orange man bad" over and over again. Not showing how Sununu has been similar to Trump, making him seem like less of a moderate, or whatever. Just repeating a 4-year-old debate line ad nauseam.

iM a tRuMp gUy tHroUgH aNd tHrOuGh

Lmao. Do you think Soldati has a good shot? If names as prominent as Mo Baxley are backing him, that's a pretty good sign.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #221 on: December 16, 2020, 08:04:33 PM »

Lmao. Do you think Soldati has a good shot? If names as prominent as Mo Baxley are backing him, that's a pretty good sign.

100%. The progressive wing (which I'd consider Soldati a part of) is already upset with Buckley. Volinsky just called out Buckley's leadership on Twitter, and Martha Hennessey just endorsed Soldati.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #222 on: December 16, 2020, 08:34:22 PM »

100%. The progressive wing (which I'd consider Soldati a part of) is already upset with Buckley. Volinsky just called out Buckley's leadership on Twitter, and Martha Hennessey just endorsed Soldati.

Great. I think this needs to be framed as "Buckley has been fantastic for NH Dems, but it is time for a change" and NOT an all-out repudiation of Buckley's leadership. I think the latter would backfire - if it turns into a full-on referendum on Buckley, he'll have plenty of compelling counter-arguments and stats on how he's made the Dems a majority party in the state, and I think undecided delegates would be swayed to his side. The time for change argument feels much likelier to resonate.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #223 on: December 17, 2020, 05:23:43 PM »

This is a reminder that 400 seats for a small state like NH is ridiculous, and it makes it so easy for crazies to be elected
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #224 on: December 19, 2020, 04:36:20 PM »

Sherman Packard from Londonderry will be the new speaker.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies