Ungerrymandering(and unskewing) squad! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:17:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ungerrymandering(and unskewing) squad! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ungerrymandering(and unskewing) squad!  (Read 5272 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« on: September 16, 2018, 09:41:33 PM »

Arkansas Map that is fair, if a bit dem leaning. What the legislature should have drawn in 2018. Sures up Ross and keeps the Little Rock district possible for Dems.

That looks more like unskewing than ungerrymandering. Here's a version that keeps all the population deviations under 200 with whole counties and without chopping the Little Rock UCC.

Any map that does not have a seat that is less than an R+3 or so in Arkansas is a GOP rig. Arkansas should really have at least 1 cd with a weak d pvi.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 11:15:16 PM »

Arkansas Map that is fair, if a bit dem leaning. What the legislature should have drawn in 2018. Sures up Ross and keeps the Little Rock district possible for Dems.

That looks more like unskewing than ungerrymandering. Here's a version that keeps all the population deviations under 200 with whole counties and without chopping the Little Rock UCC.

Any map that does not have a seat that is less than an R+3 or so in Arkansas is a GOP rig. Arkansas should really have at least 1 cd with a weak d pvi.

Gerrymandering is the process of drawing districts to get a particular political outcome. Drawing a plan to insure one seat with a Dem PVI is therefore a form of gerrymandering, even if it is for a good public purpose. That's why I pointed out that the plan was more designed to unskew AR rather than ungerrymander it.

Hey, notice how I chose my words carefully and I did not say gerrymander. Your map is a shameless GOP rig just like the current one. I said a GOP rig, and imo an Arkansas map without a tossup to highly competitive seat is a GOP rig. I point out issues on both sides of the aisle and think the maps in MA, CT, MD, and OR are reprehensible and actually drew a Massachusetts with a McCain seat. Shame that people on all sides pull out excuses to allow this. I have no idea why a 3-1 GOP majority delegation would be so controversial unless one just loves being unfair and unrepresentative.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 12:16:45 PM »

Gerrymandering is the process of drawing districts to get a particular political outcome. Drawing a plan to insure one seat with a Dem PVI is therefore a form of gerrymandering, even if it is for a good public purpose. That's why I pointed out that the plan was more designed to unskew AR rather than ungerrymander it.

Hey, notice how I chose my words carefully and I did not say gerrymander. Your map is a shameless GOP rig just like the current one. I said a GOP rig, and imo an Arkansas map without a tossup to highly competitive seat is a GOP rig. I point out issues on both sides of the aisle and think the maps in MA, CT, MD, and OR are reprehensible and actually drew a Massachusetts with a McCain seat. Shame that people on all sides pull out excuses to allow this. I have no idea why a 3-1 GOP majority delegation would be so controversial unless one just loves being unfair and unrepresentative.

I also chose my words carefully. I said that drawing districts to get a particular political outcome is a gerrymander even if it is for good public purpose. I also was referring to my earlier exchange in this thread that one can have a goal of unskewing the political bias in a map, but that is not the same as ungerrymandering a map.

My map was drawn without looking at political data, just a spreadsheet of populations and a map of what counties were adjacent. So if my AR map is a GOP rig then a politically neutral computer program drawing maps for AR would also meet your definition of a GOP rig. Using a map and data without political numbers is how IA draws its map, and I've never heard any serious claim that it is a partisan rig. I don't think the UK boundary commission tries to balance the political parties when it draws lines either, but that doesn't make them rigged.

Fair enough if you just wanted to do that, but a submission of this to be the map would be ludicrous. Life is interesting, it does not matter as much the intention as is the outcome. And that map would be incredibly unfair towards dems.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:40:47 PM »

Fair enough if you just wanted to do that, but a submission of this to be the map would be ludicrous. Life is interesting, it does not matter as much the intention as is the outcome. And that map would be incredibly unfair towards dems.

I don't see how you can say the a map consistent with one a computer might generate is unfair, other than to say that life is unfair. I would say that it is skewed due to natural geographic distribution in the state, but that doesn't make it unfair. Would you expect a UK Boundary Commission to ignore its neutral requirements if one party was becoming unfavored due to the distribution of voters in that region? Should the CA redistricting commission consider political data (which they currently may not) to insure a partisan division consistent with the statewide results?

Regardless of the intent or process, the result looks unfair, like many things the result is what matters the most, I guess you could attribute it to life being unfair. So yes, I would support drawing maps that attempt to represent the populace fairly. Like I think MD should be a 5-3 map for dems instead of 6-1, and I think MA should be at least 7 to 2 for dems, and CT, should be 4-1 (just because anything close to a 3-2 is really ugly to draw) and Oregon should get another solid GOP district, and a few others. So this is not just a dem vs GOP thing for me, I want more accurate representation. Sadly that won't occur anytime soon Sad.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies