Canada - Saudi Arabia dispute ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:06:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada - Saudi Arabia dispute ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Canada - Saudi Arabia dispute ?  (Read 2062 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 11:31:15 PM »

Good on Canada. Justin Truduea once again proves himself one of the greatest world leaders today, especially with such a poor slate of leaders.

The tweet by the Canadian foreign ministry was really just a basic canned remark made only because the relatives of the imprisoned live in Canada. Justin Trudeau's response was equally bland. This "dispute" is almost entirely about Saudi Arabia and MBS flexing their muscles by sanctioning a Western middle power. It has almost no meaningful economic or political impact beyond increasing Saudi Arabia's international stature. Personally, I think it is amazing foreign policy on the part of MBS, as long as they don't try to get too cute.

Seems standard MBS overkill to me, to add to similar demented moves in Yemen, Qatar and Lebanon.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2018, 01:26:55 AM »

Good on Canada. Justin Truduea once again proves himself one of the greatest world leaders today, especially with such a poor slate of leaders.

Canada is still selling $12 billion in military materiel to the Saudis.  Smiley

I personally think the ethics of the sale is very complicated, but this is typical of the Trudeau Liberals (not that they asked for this over reaction from the Saudi Government) be big on symbolism and much less clear on actual substance.

I did say "especially with such a poor slate of leaders" Tongue Canada is, as of today, one of the only western nations bold enough to hurt the bloated egos of the Saudi leaders and make even a little stand against their terrible regime.

Would I like to have America able to take a stand against Saudi Arabia? Yes. Realistically, can we afford to push Saudi Arabia to China? No. That would result in a great threat to the United States, to Israelis, and to Palestinians. We would hope that Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Iraq, and Kuwait could join us in a third alliance, but I would not gamble one bird in the hand for two in the bush.

If regime change can be on the table for Iran, why can't it be for Saudi Arabia?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2018, 02:42:42 AM »

The tweet by the Canadian foreign ministry was really just a basic canned remark made only because the relatives of the imprisoned live in Canada. Justin Trudeau's response was equally bland. This "dispute" is almost entirely about Saudi Arabia and MBS flexing their muscles by sanctioning a Western middle power. It has almost no meaningful economic or political impact beyond increasing Saudi Arabia's international stature. Personally, I think it is amazing foreign policy on the part of MBS, as long as they don't try to get too cute.

Seems standard MBS overkill to me, to add to similar demented moves in Yemen, Qatar and Lebanon.

This isn't quite on the same level as Saudi Arabia killing thousands of Yemeni children.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2018, 02:53:46 AM »

This isn't quite on the same level as Saudi Arabia killing thousands of Yemeni children.

Didn't say that. What I'm saying in is that MBS is prone to these big POWER MOVES (Canada said something mildly critical? CANCEL EVERYTHING! Yemen war going terribly? BOMB EVERYTHING!) that don't work except for a bit of shock and awe. He pissed off the Lebanese by blatant interference and did not dent Hezbollah in the slightest, he pretty much led Qatar into the arms of Iran and he has bogged his country further into an unwinnable conflict where they are seen as a hated aggressor.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2018, 03:05:38 AM »

Didn't say that. What I'm saying in is that MBS is prone to these big POWER MOVES (Canada said something mildly critical? CANCEL EVERYTHING! Yemen war going terribly? BOMB EVERYTHING!) that don't work except for a bit of shock and awe. He pissed off the Lebanese by blatant interference and did not dent Hezbollah in the slightest, he pretty much led Qatar into the arms of Iran and he has bogged his country further into an unwinnable conflict where they are seen as a hated aggressor.

True, I don't even like Qatar at all (they're basically mini Saudi with their Wahhabism, and the whole World Cup 2022 thing is ridiculous) but I had to side with them in that dispute.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2018, 07:34:44 AM »

Good on Canada. Let's hope they (and all the west) put the entire bunch - the KSA, Qatar, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt - out to pasture. Cancel their security and military deals, freeze their leaders' bank accounts and seize their London property etc.

Exactly what Saudi-owned London property do you suggest Canada seize? Unless you mean the KSA's vast holdings in the Highland Country Club and the Fanshawe College ghetto Tongue
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2018, 07:54:35 AM »

Good on Canada. Let's hope they (and all the west) put the entire bunch - the KSA, Qatar, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt - out to pasture. Cancel their security and military deals, freeze their leaders' bank accounts and seize their London property etc.

Exactly what Saudi-owned London property do you suggest Canada seize? Unless you mean the KSA's vast holdings in the Highland Country Club and the Fanshawe College ghetto Tongue

I believe he was suggesting that the entire West does this, which would include Britain.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2018, 10:44:22 AM »

I know, but I will never pass up an opportunity to make fun of fake London.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2018, 10:49:25 AM »

It's interesting to see that the Post Media Newspaper Chain in Canada that lambasted the Trudeau Liberals for selling the war materiel to Saudi Arabia is now lambasting the Trudeau Liberals for getting mixed up in this.

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2018, 11:48:07 AM »

It's interesting to see that the Post Media Newspaper Chain in Canada that lambasted the Trudeau Liberals for selling the war materiel to Saudi Arabia is now lambasting the Trudeau Liberals for getting mixed up in this.

Yes.  The Tories seem to love Saudi Arabia all of a sudden.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2018, 08:50:00 PM »

It's no surprise: conservatives love cultural relativism.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2018, 10:08:57 PM »

Yes.  The Tories seem to love Saudi Arabia all of a sudden.

According to the CBC radio show The House, the Conservatives have pretty much stayed silent on this, or offered qualified public support to the Liberals.  From the public perspective (I don't know about individual conservative voters) this seems to be a strictly PostMedia (or Post/Sun Media) thing. 
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2018, 01:00:42 PM »

It's great to know that President Trump has doubled down on the US government's commitment to fighting Radical Islam by cementing America's proud relationship with Saudi Arabia. Shame on Canada for being Weak on Terror!
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2018, 08:10:03 PM »

John Baird, who was Stephen Harper's Foreign Affairs Minister, has called for Canada and Saudi Arabia to patch up their differences.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2018, 11:04:30 PM »

John Baird, who was Stephen Harper's Foreign Affairs Minister, has called for Canada and Saudi Arabia to patch up their differences.

"Both sides"...
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2018, 09:19:06 AM »

The silence from Canada's own allies on this issue is deafening..
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2018, 02:28:19 PM »

The silence from Canada's own allies on this issue is deafening..

Indeed. Quite insulting tbh, they're betraying their commitment by not standing by Canada, at least verbally.
EPG
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2018, 03:33:53 PM »

It's not a war, it's a dispute. Countries don't tend to muck around in each others' bilaterals. Canada doesn't volunteer when other medium and small countries disagree.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2018, 06:23:48 PM »

It's not a war, it's a dispute. Countries don't tend to muck around in each others' bilaterals. Canada doesn't volunteer when other medium and small countries disagree.

If this was just an isolated bilateral dispute, perhaps you would have a point. However, this isn't an isolated event. Saudi Arabia has been increasingly aggressive in the last few years. They've committed war crimes in Yemen, blockaded Qatar, likely kidnapped the Lebanese PM, purges have occurred, dissidents continue to be suppressed, oppression of Gays, Shiites ect. Theres plenty of stuff I haven't mentioned because we would be here all day.

Condemnation from Canada's allies is the very least that can be done.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2018, 11:01:11 PM »

He didn't disclose his own extensive business connections with the Saudis when speaking, which breaks basic journalistic ethics.

Maybe he should beheading to Riyadh to patch things over.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2018, 12:08:17 AM »

https://vancouversun.com/news/canada/this-has-not-been-a-good-hour-for-canada-john-baird-slams-trudeau-government-on-saudi-state-tv/wcm/f40f30e8-ed3d-49de-9fa5-c4a93fded4e1?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1534202588
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies