How much do you care if posters here sincerely believe what they post? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:29:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How much do you care if posters here sincerely believe what they post? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How much do you care if posters here sincerely believe what they post?  (Read 988 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« on: July 26, 2018, 11:15:12 PM »

I've changed so dramatically since 2004 that my early posts bear no resemblance to who I am today. And 14 years from now I will probably have evolved in other ways. So whether I'm being "sincere" or not, what you see me post is just me arguing for the sake of argument.

I also try to stay "descriptive, not proscriptive" in my discussion of politics. I make some attempt to keep my feelings and advocacy out of it.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 06:40:24 PM »

if the character is so good we can't tell, sure, fine whatever.  The problem happens when we can see the strings, at least to me.  Some of them you can see the strings on ever post, I don't understand how anybody could find that entertaining....on either end.  I suppose HillGoose thought he was "getting one over on people" or whatever, but his character had less depth than a mud puddle and it dragged down many threads.

It's like good magic vs bad magic.  Good magic is fine for most people (in small doses at least), but bad magic forces the most eager of toddlers to groan.

But I would distinguish between two different ways of "being able to tell".  Some "characters" (and I assume you'd put HillGoose in this category) just post ridiculous material.  And so, at least in my opinion, the reason for finding them tiring is that the actual content of what they post is stupid.  That's the issue, not the fact that they're "being fake".

On the other hand, you have posters who have made radical ideological shifts that many people don't believe are genuine.  Torie mentioned Beet, and he's the primary character I'm thinking of here.  In this case, the content of what he posts would barely register on people's radars if he were a new poster with an R-TX avatar.  But because of the presumably phony ideological shift, people act as if he's guilty of war crimes or something.  Whereas I just plain don't care, because it doesn't really matter to me if folks here are "real" or not.

I don't have too much of problem with Beet.  I suspect it's because he's consistent and good at it...and not posting stupid sh**t in every freaking thread.

so I guess...

fake and annoying posters are bad
fake and not annoying posters are...well, not "good", but not bad either

My main beef with beet is that I would regularly get mistaken for him over the years, despite my being here first.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies