How much do you care if posters here sincerely believe what they post? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:13:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How much do you care if posters here sincerely believe what they post? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How much do you care if posters here sincerely believe what they post?  (Read 1008 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 26, 2018, 11:08:25 PM »

It seems like the trolling accusation is much more hotly debated here than it was about five years ago.  And I do agree that posters deliberately making provocative comments in order to rile people up ("trolling") can be annoying.  But if a poster's engaging in reasonable debate (even if you disagree with them), and not being especially provocative, then how much do you, personally, care if they sincerely believe what they're posting, as opposed to someone who just likes playing devil's advocate, or whatever?

I feel like I may be in a small minority here in that I feel quite apathetic about which posters are "real" in either their personality or expressed viewpoints.  Instead, it's the debates about who's being real that I find tedious.  If someone's making posts that I think are interesting to read for whatever reason,  that doesn't prompt me to try to stare into their soul to see if they're being real or not.  Maybe I'm alone on that score though....
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 11:20:04 AM »

if the character is so good we can't tell, sure, fine whatever.  The problem happens when we can see the strings, at least to me.  Some of them you can see the strings on ever post, I don't understand how anybody could find that entertaining....on either end.  I suppose HillGoose thought he was "getting one over on people" or whatever, but his character had less depth than a mud puddle and it dragged down many threads.

It's like good magic vs bad magic.  Good magic is fine for most people (in small doses at least), but bad magic forces the most eager of toddlers to groan.

But I would distinguish between two different ways of "being able to tell".  Some "characters" (and I assume you'd put HillGoose in this category) just post ridiculous material.  And so, at least in my opinion, the reason for finding them tiring is that the actual content of what they post is stupid.  That's the issue, not the fact that they're "being fake".

On the other hand, you have posters who have made radical ideological shifts that many people don't believe are genuine.  Torie mentioned Beet, and he's the primary character I'm thinking of here.  In this case, the content of what he posts would barely register on people's radars if he were a new poster with an R-TX avatar.  But because of the presumably phony ideological shift, people act as if he's guilty of war crimes or something.  Whereas I just plain don't care, because it doesn't really matter to me if folks here are "real" or not.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 07:35:52 PM »

Trolling is absolutely not tolerated on any high quality forum. Atlas is not such a forum due to feckless moderation

My question wasn't really about moderation though.  Leave what the moderators do aside for the moment, and just consider what you personally find more annoying: Posters not "being real"?  Or all of the debate / accusations against posters for being fake?  For me it's the latter, but maybe I'm weird.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies