Legislation: The Maine Statehood Act of 1791 (Defeated) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:28:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: The Maine Statehood Act of 1791 (Defeated) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: The Maine Statehood Act of 1791 (Defeated)  (Read 925 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« on: July 29, 2018, 01:52:54 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I may commend the gentleman from Westchester on one point, Mr. Speaker, and one point alone: that for all his previous ill designs, and evil he has heretofore raised in his honorable house, I would have not, 'til evidence of my senses forced me to iot, suspect from him so brazen and so foul a measure as this bill here proposed. I may pronounce myself so utterly appalled, that such a measure has received the uncritical support of so many among the deputies of this Assembly, without any one seeming to consider the foundation it is, or is not, raised upon.

I raise, Mr. Speaker, no principled objection to the expansion of our federal Union. It has been my policy from the seating of this Assembly, to receive every petition for the admission of a state to this Union with a generous heart. Yet I object to the measure brought for the gentleman from Westchester, and for that very reason: that no petition has yet been received by the inhabitants of Maine requesting their admission as a separate state. There is no reason this Assembly ought construe, from their words or actions, a desire by the inhabitants of Maine to be separated from the greater Commonwealth of Massachusetts, except that the gentleman from Westchester pronounces so. Further note, that the measure as proposed does not design to consult the inhabitants of Maine on the question of their separation. It is proposed, as such, that the county of Maine be forcibly and coercively seceded from her present government, and established as a separate state of this Union, without any word from the inhabitants of that county as would indicate their inclination to such a secession, or indeed without any consideration for the rights of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. When the counties of Westsylvania were considered for statehood, it was only after the inhabitants of that country had applied for such consideration. No such application has been received from the people of Maine.

Gentlemen, if this Assembly may make states from counties at will without consideration either for the will of their inhabitants or the sovereignty of the states of which they form part, then the federal character of this Union is at an end, and each state must take upon itself the duty of preserving its integrity against a tyrannical central authority.

I vote that the measure proposed by the gentleman from Westchester be tabled immediately; or failing that, defeated by a vote of this Assembly; and advise all Whigs to follow so.

I yield my time to the chair.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies