Legislation: National Coinage Act of 1791 (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:50:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: National Coinage Act of 1791 (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: National Coinage Act of 1791 (Passed)  (Read 947 times)
Galaxie

« on: July 26, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

These United States have experimented with a non-existent monetary policy, and we have failed.

Our currencies are largely meaningless, inter-state trade is needlessly confounding, and our financial system continues to falter.

Many delegates have come to the floor of this Congress with the hopes of righting the ship of fiscal insolvency in our Nation. I believe it is time to enact a system that can truly handle the scale of economy we wish to see here. For if we want this nation to grow and prosper, we must have a reliable, predictable, and robust system of which to do business.

I encourage debate, amendments, and thorough discussion over this Act. We only have one chance to build a foundation for a strong United States. Gentlemen, let us do it well.

I yield.
Galaxie

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 02:06:30 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

In regards to the delegate who spoke before me, an amendment could be added to this Act that specifies that the Mint be constructed in the Official Seat of the Government, as to ensure that wherever this may be, the Mint shall be there.

I yield.
Galaxie

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 06:12:27 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

With all due respect to the Gentleman from Augusta, do tell how our current economic system functions? I would implore you, should you talk to your constituents, ask them how the ease of doing business is. Ask the farmer from Augusta, from Savannah how feasible it is to ship their crops out of state, nay, out of this great Nation!

Mr. Gunn, you can bury your head in the sand for so long over our failed Articles of Confederation and the economic mayhem they have created. You can sing about our national debt as much as you like. But this, Mr. Gunn, is a viable, common-sense solution to righting the wrongs you so decry!

It is but a simple fact of economics that a nation's currency must be based in a product of undeniable worth. That is why the Spanish Silver Dollar is so universally accepted as a form of payment -- its worth in Silver holds its value undeniably true.

Yes, Mr. Gunn, we as a nation may not be of great wealth as of yet. But perhaps if we put our resources, our golds, silvers, and coppers into the smelter and into coinage, put our system of trade both inter-state and international to good use, we would build a wealth big enough for all of us one hundred times over. What is more responsible, Mr. Gunn? Putting our limited gold into a brand new southern city, or into the pockets of our constituents?

I yield.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies