Legislation: National Coinage Act of 1791 (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:38:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: National Coinage Act of 1791 (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: National Coinage Act of 1791 (Passed)  (Read 956 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« on: July 29, 2018, 02:48:17 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

The financial security of these States is imperative to their future prosperity. A stable national currency is, therefore, indispensable. It may be, that in the adoption of this measure, we shall incur some small increase of the national debt. Far better to do so, than to neglect the question entirely, allow the value of our currency to continue to fall, and watch as our commercial prospects sink one by one into the sea. Does the gentleman from Augusta believe, that the states of Europe will be any willing to trade with us, or lend us additional funds, if we continue to rely on the worthless paper Continentals? It is the luxury of opposition to allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good; but a government which will bloody its face for spite of its nose is no government at all.

I vote that the measure brought by the gentleman from Pennsylvania be adopted, and advise all Whigs to follow.

I yield my time to the chair.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies