Legislation: National Coinage Act of 1791 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:32:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: National Coinage Act of 1791 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: National Coinage Act of 1791 (Passed)  (Read 930 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2018, 07:19:30 PM »
« edited: July 30, 2018, 01:13:50 PM by Lumine »

National Coinage Act of 1791

Be it resolved,

You must be logged in to read this quote.

From the Sponsor:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Galaxie

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

These United States have experimented with a non-existent monetary policy, and we have failed.

Our currencies are largely meaningless, inter-state trade is needlessly confounding, and our financial system continues to falter.

Many delegates have come to the floor of this Congress with the hopes of righting the ship of fiscal insolvency in our Nation. I believe it is time to enact a system that can truly handle the scale of economy we wish to see here. For if we want this nation to grow and prosper, we must have a reliable, predictable, and robust system of which to do business.

I encourage debate, amendments, and thorough discussion over this Act. We only have one chance to build a foundation for a strong United States. Gentlemen, let us do it well.

I yield.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 09:54:23 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I support this legislation as it is written. It is a strong Tory idea from the Honorable Gentleman from Pennsylvania who once sat next to me on the Tory bench.

I yield.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 12:13:41 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I am broadly supportive of this act, but I urge that this enactment of this legislation be delayed by a short period until a location of the new capital be fixed, so that the Mint may be constructed in that city.

I yield.
Galaxie

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 02:06:30 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

In regards to the delegate who spoke before me, an amendment could be added to this Act that specifies that the Mint be constructed in the Official Seat of the Government, as to ensure that wherever this may be, the Mint shall be there.

I yield.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 05:56:39 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

By using gold in some of these coins this will make this bill unfundable and I cannot support something that is unfundable. This cannot pass, I will not stand to let it pass. I and the rest of my Patriots are fully against this legislation.

I yield
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 06:07:40 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I am uncertain why the Patriot faction is so vehemently against the usse of gold in coinage. Gold is commonly used in other national currencies, and is necessary to ensure the currency circulating has value. Does the deputy have an alternative proposal?

I yield to my friend from Georgia.
Galaxie

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 06:12:27 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

With all due respect to the Gentleman from Augusta, do tell how our current economic system functions? I would implore you, should you talk to your constituents, ask them how the ease of doing business is. Ask the farmer from Augusta, from Savannah how feasible it is to ship their crops out of state, nay, out of this great Nation!

Mr. Gunn, you can bury your head in the sand for so long over our failed Articles of Confederation and the economic mayhem they have created. You can sing about our national debt as much as you like. But this, Mr. Gunn, is a viable, common-sense solution to righting the wrongs you so decry!

It is but a simple fact of economics that a nation's currency must be based in a product of undeniable worth. That is why the Spanish Silver Dollar is so universally accepted as a form of payment -- its worth in Silver holds its value undeniably true.

Yes, Mr. Gunn, we as a nation may not be of great wealth as of yet. But perhaps if we put our resources, our golds, silvers, and coppers into the smelter and into coinage, put our system of trade both inter-state and international to good use, we would build a wealth big enough for all of us one hundred times over. What is more responsible, Mr. Gunn? Putting our limited gold into a brand new southern city, or into the pockets of our constituents?

I yield.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 06:22:28 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I very much opposed to the use of gold since at the level that it will be used for the coins to be produced will cost too much and make it unfundable as I stated earlier. With the amount this country is in debt, I cannot see this country go further down into debt.

At this moment, I believe that all the coins should be made out of the cheaper copper which will make this less unfundable. I also would like to get rid of the half-cent which is too small and will cost too much to make even when it is made out of copper.

Before I yield, I will like to address Mr. Morris attacks on my character and my values. I am so sorry that you don't care about our national debt but my constituents do and that is why I will constantly talk about the debt of our nation. They fear it will cause a debt crisis and I don't think our young nation can handle that. Our economy is being dragged down by our debt and I will not stand by and let it happen. A government should function like a business and a business that is in debt is a failing business. The government must do something so we don't continue to drive our nation into financial failure. I will never apologize for caring about our national debt or economy.

Also, near the end of your speech, you said "we as a nation may not be of great wealth as of yet" and we never will be if we continue to drive this country into debt.

I yield
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 01:34:34 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

While I fully support the goals of this bill and a national currency, I do feel that we need to alleviate our debt situation at least to a point where we can incur debts like this one without too much adverse effect. For this reason, I intend to vote Nay, but allow my party a free vote.

I yield.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 02:48:17 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

The financial security of these States is imperative to their future prosperity. A stable national currency is, therefore, indispensable. It may be, that in the adoption of this measure, we shall incur some small increase of the national debt. Far better to do so, than to neglect the question entirely, allow the value of our currency to continue to fall, and watch as our commercial prospects sink one by one into the sea. Does the gentleman from Augusta believe, that the states of Europe will be any willing to trade with us, or lend us additional funds, if we continue to rely on the worthless paper Continentals? It is the luxury of opposition to allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good; but a government which will bloody its face for spite of its nose is no government at all.

I vote that the measure brought by the gentleman from Pennsylvania be adopted, and advise all Whigs to follow.

I yield my time to the chair.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »

Debate having been closed, the Speaker called for a vote:

National Assembly Vote:

Moving into the final vote, the result was 39 in favor, 23 against, 4 abstentions.

Senate and President:

After a heated and controversial debate in the Senate the National Coinage Act of 1791 passed with 16 votes in favor against 11 opposed - and one abstention -, and was promptly signed into law by President Hancock.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies