Legislation: Cumberland Statehood Act of 1791 (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:49:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: Cumberland Statehood Act of 1791 (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: Cumberland Statehood Act of 1791 (Passed)  (Read 1049 times)
Galaxie

« on: July 29, 2018, 07:09:44 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

While I believe the amendment brought fourth by the Gentleman from Kentucky is in good faith, it does still stand that North Carolina very much wishes against Cumberland acquiring this Federal Land, be it now or in the future. How can we guarantee that if this land does have the desire to join Cumberland that North Carolina will not seek to put a stop to it?

Before pledging any vote on this amendment, I hope to hear on whether such a crisis is truly to be feared.

I yield.
Galaxie

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 10:19:22 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

Upon hearing both the First Secretary and Gentleman from Kentucky on this matter, I believe it to be in the greater interests of this Nation, as well as our security, to allow this act to set a precedent as the Gentleman from Kentucky has suggested.

Westsylvania has taught us what the process for finding independent statehood can look like in its worst instances, and that is something I frankly hope we never have to witness again. With that in mind, establishing a precedent of referendum, which this faction has advocated for previously, combined with the check of the Federal Assembly in admittance to the Union, seems the best fit for territories of some contention such as that between Cumberland and North Carolina.

May these systems be a check upon each other now and for years to come. I shall be voting in favor of the Gentleman from Kentucky's amendment, and urge my Faction to do the same.

I yield.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies