Legislation: Cumberland Statehood Act of 1791 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:26:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: Cumberland Statehood Act of 1791 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: Cumberland Statehood Act of 1791 (Passed)  (Read 992 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2018, 01:04:31 PM »
« edited: July 30, 2018, 12:57:12 PM by Lumine »

From the Sponsor:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 03:36:45 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I rise to caution against the rapid passage of this act. This body has yet to hear from the government of North Carolina on its opinion on the subject. We do not wish to create another crisis just as the one in Pennsylvania seems to be in the process of subsiding.

I would, with the permission of this house, humbly invite a representative of the government of North Carolina to enlighten us on their state's attitude towards the creation of the new state of Cumberland.

I yield.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 03:53:22 PM »

GM Context:

I think it wasn't clear enough on the article, but Cumberland has already organized itself and sent a petition, the North Carolina government accepting statehood. However, delegates from North Carolina have made it clear they do not want the land granted to the Federal Government to become part of Cumberland, believing the state does not deserve expansion.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 04:04:47 PM »

(My apologies, I should have read the article more closely than I did.)

Mr. Speaker,

My concerns over North Carolina's view on the ascension of Cumberland to statehood have been resolved. However, as per the state of North Carolina's wishes, I would support the removal of the fourth point of this act.

Should that be done, I will have no qualms supporting Cumberland's statehood.

I yield.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 11:53:05 AM »

Mr. Speaker,

I offer an amendment to address the concerns of my colleague from New Hampshire:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 06:43:23 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I support the amendment offered by the gentleman from Kentucky, and should it be adopted, I will have no qualms about supporting this act. I thank Mr. Wilkinson for his work in ensuring the fairness of this act.

I yield.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 02:12:31 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I concur with the judgement of my colleague, the honorable gentleman from New Hampshire. I vote that the measure brought by the gentleman from Kentucky be passed as amended, and advise all Whigs to follow.

I yield my time to the chair.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 02:52:31 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

Cumberland, unlike Maine, has shown that it truly wants statehood and I believe that it deserves it. The Patriot faction is fully behind this legislation.

I yield
Galaxie

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 07:09:44 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

While I believe the amendment brought fourth by the Gentleman from Kentucky is in good faith, it does still stand that North Carolina very much wishes against Cumberland acquiring this Federal Land, be it now or in the future. How can we guarantee that if this land does have the desire to join Cumberland that North Carolina will not seek to put a stop to it?

Before pledging any vote on this amendment, I hope to hear on whether such a crisis is truly to be feared.

I yield.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 08:52:13 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

To answer the question posed by the honorable Deputy from Pennsylvania, the Government of North Carolina, while not receptive to Cumberland's expansion, will not act in the same manner as the Pennsylvania Government did during the Westsylvanian Crisis. (OOC: Lumine can confirm this if you would like but this is the position I've ascertained)

In addition, due to the position of the North Carolinian people on this matter, but also the people of the Cumberland region's position, I myself will be abstaining on this vote, and allow my caucus a free vote.

I yield.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 09:17:23 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I do not wish to aggrieve the people of North Carolina, but I see little possible objection to the democratic decision of the people of this territory. If, once attaining the population specified, this territory does desire to join the State of Cumberland, it would set a dangerous precedent to allow the State of North Carolina to veto their decision. Should North Carolina wish this territory to instead become another separate state, I would urge the state to make its case before the people of the territory at the time of that referendum, and win the support of the people through persuasion and reasoned argument, rather than by the hand of this Assembly.

I yield.
Galaxie

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 10:19:22 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

Upon hearing both the First Secretary and Gentleman from Kentucky on this matter, I believe it to be in the greater interests of this Nation, as well as our security, to allow this act to set a precedent as the Gentleman from Kentucky has suggested.

Westsylvania has taught us what the process for finding independent statehood can look like in its worst instances, and that is something I frankly hope we never have to witness again. With that in mind, establishing a precedent of referendum, which this faction has advocated for previously, combined with the check of the Federal Assembly in admittance to the Union, seems the best fit for territories of some contention such as that between Cumberland and North Carolina.

May these systems be a check upon each other now and for years to come. I shall be voting in favor of the Gentleman from Kentucky's amendment, and urge my Faction to do the same.

I yield.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 12:57:01 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2018, 01:09:45 PM by Lumine »

A vote was called on the Wilkinson Amendment, which passed overwhelmingly.

National Assembly Vote:

Moving into the final vote, the result was 50 in favor, 6 abstentions.

Senate and President:

After a brief debate in the Senate the Cumberland Statehood Act of 1791 passed with 25 votes in favor and 3 abstentions, and was promptly signed into law by President Hancock.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies