Legislation: Capital Relocation Act of 1791 (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:05:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: Capital Relocation Act of 1791 (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: Capital Relocation Act of 1791 (Passed)  (Read 1235 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« on: July 26, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »
« edited: July 26, 2018, 02:42:33 PM by sjoyce »

Mr. Speaker,

I agree broadly with the idea that Philadelphia should be considered a temporary capital only, particularly given its ongoing status as the seat of state government, and agree that a new site ought to be sought for the construction of a permanent seat of government. I would, however, suggest a different location than the one suggested by the sponsor.

I believe a district that borders both northern and southern states would present an ideal solution to regional disputes by ensuring no faction can possibly gain undue influence over the capital, and propose the land around the mouth of the Susquehanna in Maryland as such a location — located within a slave state, this district would also border the free state of Pennsylvania, and would be located an equal distance between the second-largest city in the North, Philadelphia, and the second-largest city in the South, Baltimore.

I yield.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 12:12:47 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I do not believe the objections about the cost of construction to be particularly influential — such costs will be similar, whether creating a new federal district in an established city, or establishing a new city. The same number of government offices, same development of supporting infrastructure, and so on will have to occur, regardless of the choice — our present situation, in which we share space with a state legislature, is not viable except as a temporary situation. Indeed, a new federal district may be the less expensive option, as it will spur the growth of private industry in the new city, rather than driving such revenues to existing merchants.

I would request that the gentleman from New Hampshire offer his better choices, as yet unstated. He acknowledges that Philadelphia is untenable, yet doubtlessly New York or Boston would be even more unacceptable to our Southern delegation, and Charleston offensive in the same manner to our northern deputies. Baltimore remains as the only option, and may make a fine provisional capital, but would require significant additional construction on land that is significantly more costly to purchase than the land at the mouth of the Susquehanna.

I yield.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 05:06:09 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I propose an amendment to strike the text of the legislation and insert the following:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 07:40:36 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

The amendment to the amendment is friendly.

I yield.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies