Legislation: Capital Relocation Act of 1791 (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:43:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: Capital Relocation Act of 1791 (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: Capital Relocation Act of 1791 (Passed)  (Read 1238 times)
Galaxie

« on: July 26, 2018, 01:08:06 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

At the very basis of this legislation, I must ask this:

Shall we move our legislature and seat of government for each expansion our nation makes?

As we expand farther westward towards the Great Pacific, shall we move our legislature yearly to catch up?

This idea surely sounds ludicrous -- as it is. Nay, this Act appears designed to appease a Southern Constituency who wishes to harness more political clout for themselves.

I ask the Sponsor of this Act what his true intentions are: to continuously move our legislature around like a sort of nomadic government, or simply increase the political power of the needy South?

I further contend, if the Sponsor of this Act is worried about cost, then why is he advocating for spending untold sums on constructing a completely new city from the ground up? We have a perfectly fine one here in Pennsylvania, sir. One that will cost much less to develop than the swampland you propose.

I yield.
Galaxie

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 02:42:28 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

The idea of a Capitol at Susquehanna is certainly more appealing to me than the idea originally proposed. Yet I will still contend that the notion that this is cost-saving is downright preposterous, and should not be a selling point of moving the location.

If the location shall be moved to the Susquehanna, and the name of the Act changed, I shall no longer stand opposed, but instead open to both sides of debate.

I yield.
Galaxie

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 07:05:07 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

The offer of the Gentleman from Kentucky is certainly more reasoned, and keen to detail, than the plan initially offered. I encourage all Hamiltonians to vote to pass this amendment in hopes of creating a more fair plan for the relocation of our capital.

While the initial legislation offered reeked of geographical bias, it is clear that through the work of this chamber a compromise has been reached. Shall the funds be available for this new great city, I shall vote in favor of its construction, and I urge my fellow Hamiltonians to do the same.

I yield.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies