Legislation: Capital Relocation Act of 1791 (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:49:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: Capital Relocation Act of 1791 (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: Capital Relocation Act of 1791 (Passed)  (Read 1255 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« on: July 29, 2018, 02:09:19 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I concur with the good sense and judgement of the gentleman from Kentucky, who foresees at once the folly of the original proposal brought by the gentleman from Augusta, and the necessity that the federal Power, being separate from the influence of all the states, be established, as it were, on neutral ground. To permanently set the government in an established city would be to explode the influence of the state in which it were placed. If in a slave state, it should offend the sensibilities of the inhabitants of the free states; if in a free, the inhabitants of the slave states; if established in a center of commerce, we place ourselves at the feet of financiers and speculators whose corrupting influence can be only a plague on the honesty of the government.

All this being considered, I vote that the amendment proposed by the gentleman from Kentucky be adopted, and only then that the measure be passed; and advise all Whigs to follow.

I yield my time to the chair.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 09:18:25 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

On behalf of the house, I welcome the gentleman to this, our National Assembly. With this amendment he promises a bright future for his tenure as the deputy from Pennsylvania; it being wholly in keeping with my own inclination, I vote that the amendment proposed by the gentleman from Pennsylvania be adopted, and advise all Whigs to follow.

I yield my time to the chair.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies