Legislation: Capital Relocation Act of 1791 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:48:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: Capital Relocation Act of 1791 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: Capital Relocation Act of 1791 (Passed)  (Read 1203 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2018, 01:02:32 PM »
« edited: July 30, 2018, 05:44:40 PM by Lumine »

Mr. Speaker,

As the Interim Leader of the Patriots in the national assembly, I present this bill on behalf of the Patriot faction:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

From the Sponsor:

Galaxie

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 01:08:06 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

At the very basis of this legislation, I must ask this:

Shall we move our legislature and seat of government for each expansion our nation makes?

As we expand farther westward towards the Great Pacific, shall we move our legislature yearly to catch up?

This idea surely sounds ludicrous -- as it is. Nay, this Act appears designed to appease a Southern Constituency who wishes to harness more political clout for themselves.

I ask the Sponsor of this Act what his true intentions are: to continuously move our legislature around like a sort of nomadic government, or simply increase the political power of the needy South?

I further contend, if the Sponsor of this Act is worried about cost, then why is he advocating for spending untold sums on constructing a completely new city from the ground up? We have a perfectly fine one here in Pennsylvania, sir. One that will cost much less to develop than the swampland you propose.

I yield.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2018, 02:42:33 PM by sjoyce »

Mr. Speaker,

I agree broadly with the idea that Philadelphia should be considered a temporary capital only, particularly given its ongoing status as the seat of state government, and agree that a new site ought to be sought for the construction of a permanent seat of government. I would, however, suggest a different location than the one suggested by the sponsor.

I believe a district that borders both northern and southern states would present an ideal solution to regional disputes by ensuring no faction can possibly gain undue influence over the capital, and propose the land around the mouth of the Susquehanna in Maryland as such a location — located within a slave state, this district would also border the free state of Pennsylvania, and would be located an equal distance between the second-largest city in the North, Philadelphia, and the second-largest city in the South, Baltimore.

I yield.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 02:34:00 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2018, 02:41:04 PM by wxtransit »

Mr. Speaker,

I additionally concur that Philadelphia is only a temporary capital for our nation, and that it should instead be moved to a more permanent location at the earliest chance. For this reason, I also support the honorable Deputy from Kentucky's amendment to this bill, in relocating the capital to a neutral location at the mouth of the Susquehanna.

I also introduce an amendment to rename the bill to the "Capital Relocation Act of 1791", as to maintain neutrality.

I yield.
Galaxie

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 02:42:28 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

The idea of a Capitol at Susquehanna is certainly more appealing to me than the idea originally proposed. Yet I will still contend that the notion that this is cost-saving is downright preposterous, and should not be a selling point of moving the location.

If the location shall be moved to the Susquehanna, and the name of the Act changed, I shall no longer stand opposed, but instead open to both sides of debate.

I yield.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 02:47:06 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I must rise to talk about what Gouverneur Morris covered in his speech. Mr. Morris has decided to have the Hamilton deputies that serve the south turn their backs on the south because of random what if secnoroes.

I am about to give you all things that aren't what if secnoroes but things that are actively happening because we have put Philadelphia as the capital.

1. Southern deputies are being unfairly unrepresented in the national assembly because of the distance between our districts and the capitol. The southern deputies have to decide whether they stay in Philadelphia and vote on every important bill and ignore the people who elected them or they choose to visit and meet with the people who elected them and being unable to vote on important bills.

2. Philidelphia is not a safe city to have a capital. We have rioters and native Americans looking for blood out west. We must move the capital away from the dangers of out west.

3. By staying in Philidelphia, we will waste money and effort. It will increase our national debt when we are on the brick on a national debt crisis. We cannot continue to waste money in Philidelphia or we will destroy our economy.

Now I have a what if question for Mr. Morris, what if we stay in Philidelphia. I know the answer, what will happen is keeping the south unrepresented, keep deputies in an unsafe area and allowing our nation to go further and further into debt.

Before I yield, I must also speak about Gen. Wilkinson's amendment. The Patriots cannot support an amendment till I learn more about this city but I believe that D.C. is the best city for the capital since it is the exact middle of the country and it is nearly the same travel time from New Hampshire to D.C. than Georgia to D.C. so it will allow everybody to be represented.

The Patriots also support a name change which was proposed by Mr. Madison.

I yield
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 03:04:33 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

After discussing the amendment of Mr. Wilkinson with my fellow Patriots and Mr. Jackson. I have decided to urge them to support the amendment rather than wait like what my earlier statement said.

I yield
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 03:33:09 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

And who should pay for the establishment of this new capital? The area at the mouth of the Susquehanna is underdeveloped and sparsely populated, and the location originally proposed by the gentleman from Georgia is little more than a malaria infested swamp. Shall this government take it upon itself to fund the construction of a new city? We are yet in the process of paying down our still significant debts from the Revolution, and I would pray that this body would not consider adding any more to that sum.

No doubt, Philadelphia's position as our nation's capital is fast becoming untenable, yet there are other, better choices for us to meet. Delegates, I urge you to vote against this act.

I yield.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 09:56:34 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

This bill is foolish. Philadelphia is a fine city, the city in which our great Republic was born, and it should continue to be seated here.

I yield.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 12:12:47 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I do not believe the objections about the cost of construction to be particularly influential — such costs will be similar, whether creating a new federal district in an established city, or establishing a new city. The same number of government offices, same development of supporting infrastructure, and so on will have to occur, regardless of the choice — our present situation, in which we share space with a state legislature, is not viable except as a temporary situation. Indeed, a new federal district may be the less expensive option, as it will spur the growth of private industry in the new city, rather than driving such revenues to existing merchants.

I would request that the gentleman from New Hampshire offer his better choices, as yet unstated. He acknowledges that Philadelphia is untenable, yet doubtlessly New York or Boston would be even more unacceptable to our Southern delegation, and Charleston offensive in the same manner to our northern deputies. Baltimore remains as the only option, and may make a fine provisional capital, but would require significant additional construction on land that is significantly more costly to purchase than the land at the mouth of the Susquehanna.

I yield.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 03:47:32 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2018, 03:53:05 PM by terp40hitch »

Mr. Speaker,

I propose this compromise amendment:

I yield
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 05:06:09 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I propose an amendment to strike the text of the legislation and insert the following:
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 05:39:52 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I fully support the proposed amendment from the Deputy of Kentucky.

I yield
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 07:28:34 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I remain opposed to this legislation even with the proposed amendments. I find it silly to feel the need to move out of Philadelphia. Look at our British counterparts - they meet and sit and function exclusively in London, one of the largest and busiest cities in the world. They get by just fine, and so shall we in Philadelphia.

I yield.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 07:45:55 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I support the bill with the newest amendments from the honorable member from Kentucky. It is time we move our capital into a self sustaining region free from North or South, or any state government, so that our government can function in complete neutrality and as intended, without impedece.

I yield.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2018, 11:44:11 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I rise to answer the gentleman from Kentucky's queries. I am under no illusion that Boston would be acceptable to this body, but why would New York City be so offensive to our southern delegates? New York is a slave state, and New York City is a thriving hub of culture and commerce, where ideas of all kinds are welcome. Moreover, a city so large would offer many of the amenities our government needs without imposing an undue cost on our debt riddled government.

I will oppose this act with or without the amendments offered.

I yield.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 02:09:19 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I concur with the good sense and judgement of the gentleman from Kentucky, who foresees at once the folly of the original proposal brought by the gentleman from Augusta, and the necessity that the federal Power, being separate from the influence of all the states, be established, as it were, on neutral ground. To permanently set the government in an established city would be to explode the influence of the state in which it were placed. If in a slave state, it should offend the sensibilities of the inhabitants of the free states; if in a free, the inhabitants of the slave states; if established in a center of commerce, we place ourselves at the feet of financiers and speculators whose corrupting influence can be only a plague on the honesty of the government.

All this being considered, I vote that the amendment proposed by the gentleman from Kentucky be adopted, and only then that the measure be passed; and advise all Whigs to follow.

I yield my time to the chair.
Galaxie

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2018, 07:05:07 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

The offer of the Gentleman from Kentucky is certainly more reasoned, and keen to detail, than the plan initially offered. I encourage all Hamiltonians to vote to pass this amendment in hopes of creating a more fair plan for the relocation of our capital.

While the initial legislation offered reeked of geographical bias, it is clear that through the work of this chamber a compromise has been reached. Shall the funds be available for this new great city, I shall vote in favor of its construction, and I urge my fellow Hamiltonians to do the same.

I yield.
Boobs
HCP

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 07:22:34 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

While I oppose this legislation, and find it needless to rob an illustrious city such as Philadelphia of its importance to our union, I see that nearly all those in this Congress are keen on supporting a move.

I propose the following amendment to the Gentleman from Kentucky’s amendment:

I believe it is an important step to maintain the balance between free and slave states within our union; with the ascension of Kentucky, and the almost guaranteed ascension of Cumberland and Vermont into our union, we currently see an imbalanced addition of 2 territories with legal slavery and only one without; let us remedy this.

I do not believe any slavery advocates have reason to object to such an amendment, seeing as the district will be primary urban in nature and not reliant on enslaved labour for its economy.

I yield.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 07:40:36 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

The amendment to the amendment is friendly.

I yield.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 07:56:46 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

We cannot ban slavery in D.C. or it will surge the development cost of the capital and capital city. Also, the deputy from Pennsylvania brought up it would screw up the balance between slave and non-slave states but as the amendment states, the District of Columbia will not be a state so the argument is invalid. I stand firmly against the amendment proposed to by the deputy from Pennsylvania.

I yield
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 09:18:25 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

On behalf of the house, I welcome the gentleman to this, our National Assembly. With this amendment he promises a bright future for his tenure as the deputy from Pennsylvania; it being wholly in keeping with my own inclination, I vote that the amendment proposed by the gentleman from Pennsylvania be adopted, and advise all Whigs to follow.

I yield my time to the chair.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 01:02:15 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2018, 01:09:25 PM by Lumine »

Debate having been closed, the Speaker called for a vote on the Wilkinson Amendment and the Bache Amendment. The Wilkinson Amendment passed overwhelmingly, and the Bache Amendment was defeated on a 29 to 36 vote.

National Assembly Vote:

Moving into the final vote, the result was 60 votes in favor, 6 against.

Senate and President:

After a brief debate in the Senate the Act to Move South of 1791 passed with 25 votes in favor and 3 against, and was promptly signed into law by President Hancock.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies