2016 National Precinct Map on NYT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:14:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2016 National Precinct Map on NYT
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 2016 National Precinct Map on NYT  (Read 6902 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2018, 02:47:36 PM »

[snip]
Here I am, existing in my perfect, college-educated island of Deep Blue surrounded by rural Georgia Smiley

I find your politics VERY hard to pin down, LOL.  It almost seems like you're a pro-establishment, anti-populist Republican who is adamant about a Democratic Party that embodies those characteristics and a GOP that doesn't...?

Ideologically, I'm a pretty standard moderate conservative who supports the free market, lower taxes, a robust defense, and an interventionist/internationalist foreign policy.  Stylistically I tend to be attracted to politicians who come across as well-versed in the issues and non-ideological, so there are quite a lot of Republican politicians of which I am not very fond.  As an openly gay man who is not particularly religious, I tend to skew towards the left on social issues and consider myself a cultural liberal (which is why I enjoy living in college towns with other social liberals who regularly vote Democrat).  I voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016 and have mildly warmed-up to Trump over his first couple years and office, but I'm unsure how I will vote in 2020.

how could u endorse so many anti-LGBT politicians like Kemp tho???

Kemp was always the more establishment, pro-business choice who was only pretending to be far right for political expediency.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2018, 05:15:19 PM »

Precinct that I currently live in: 79-12 Clinton
Precinct that I went to college in: 84-10 Clinton
Other precinct that I went to college in:77-16
Precinct that I grew up in (majority): 55-35 Clinton
Other precinct that I grew up in (early years): 56-36 Clinton

Never lived in a Trump precinct, but that doesn't surprise me.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2018, 05:17:01 PM »

Mine voted 64% Clinton. Unsurprising.

Shame that they show the third-party vote only if it was higher than a major party candidate.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2018, 12:24:18 AM »

how could u endorse so many anti-LGBT politicians like Kemp tho???
Kemp was always the more establishment, pro-business choice who was only pretending to be far right for political expediency.

he still anti-lgbt tho...
Kodak
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2018, 11:33:02 PM »

There is a precinct south of Enterprise, Oregon that is a 5-hour drive from the nearest Clinton precinct.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2018, 02:21:06 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2018, 02:25:53 PM by peenie_weenie »

Where I grew up: Clinton 55 - 38
Where my absentee ballot was counted: Clinton 67 - 27
Where I was temporarily living on Election Day: Clinton 87 - 7
Where I live now: Clinton 77 - 8

Looks like I'm in the running for living the most sheltered life on this forum.

edit: except I spent the summer of 2016 living/working in a Trump 62 - 26 precinct
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2018, 03:06:10 PM »

Where I grew up: Clinton 55 - 38
Where my absentee ballot was counted: Clinton 67 - 27
Where I was temporarily living on Election Day: Clinton 87 - 7
Where I live now: Clinton 77 - 8

Looks like I'm in the running for living the most sheltered life on this forum.

edit: except I spent the summer of 2016 living/working in a Trump 62 - 26 precinct

Oh, you ain't got nothin':

Where I grew up: 84% Clinton, 14% Trump
Where I live now: 97% Clinton, 2% Stein, 1% Trump
Where I lived at the time of the 2016 election: 93% Clinton, 5% Trump
Where I work: 75% Clinton, 21% Trump
Where my parents live now:* 51% Trump, 42% Clinton
My various other prior addresses in adulthood (in order of residence):
- 81% Clinton, 13% Trump
- 86% Clinton, 8% Trump
- 85% Clinton, 9% Trump
- 78% Clinton, 17% Trump

*I never lived here.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2018, 04:58:46 PM »

Places I've lived:

1970-1976:  Clinton 50-43
1976-1984:  Trump 68-25
1984-1996:  Trump 62-30
          (College dormitory:  Clinton 51-39;
          College apartment:  Clinton 55-32)
1996-1998
   & 2000-2004:  Clinton 79-16
1999-2000:  Trump 55-38
2004-2010:  Clinton 57-33
2010-date:  Clinton 54-38

My current precinct and my college dorm precinct are adjacent to Trump districts.
My two public-school-age precincts were 16 to 17 minutes from the nearest Clinton district.
All other districts were listed as 10 minutes from the nearest precinct of the opposing candidate.

mencken
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2018, 06:06:24 PM »

Where I grew up: Trump 50 - Clinton 42 (pretty sure Romney got ~70 here for perspective)
Where I lived in college (I only registered to vote at the first location): Clinton 88 - Trump 6
Clinton 85 - Trump 8
Where I lived after college (and am currently registered): Clinton 59 - Trump 34 (this was much closer to even in 2012)
Where I live most of the year now (I will reregister after November): Clinton 87 - Trump 10
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2018, 03:23:27 PM »

I was looking for precincts where one candidate got no votes and thus far all I could find was

Trump

-A precinct in Custer County MT
-A few very low population precincts in Nebraska and Kansas

Clinton

-A precinct a few blocks south of 8 mile
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2018, 07:36:02 PM »

I was looking for precincts where one candidate got no votes and thus far all I could find was

Trump

Clinton

There's a 1-0 precinct in Brooklyn.

I looked around Chicago and New York thinking I'd find a couple but came up with little luck. Plenty of 1-Trump vote precincts in both, though.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2018, 09:52:54 PM »

Trump

Clinton

Here's one in Detroit, although Jill Stein got 1 vote.

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2018, 02:13:22 AM »

There is a precinct south of Enterprise, Oregon that is a 5-hour drive from the nearest Clinton precinct.
There is a precinct on San Juan Island, Washington that is a 4:13 drive from the nearest Trump precinct. I bet Prudhoe Bay would be further, but it wont show up on the drive time calculator.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2018, 09:29:11 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2018, 09:37:41 AM by Tintrlvr »

There is a precinct on San Juan Island, Washington that is a 4:13 drive from the nearest Trump precinct. I bet Prudhoe Bay would be further, but it wont show up on the drive time calculator.

The "drive times" don't really make sense for remote islands, though. Monhegan, Maine (might be Stein's best precinct with a non-negligible number of votes - she got 16%) is shown as being a "55 minute drive" from the nearest Trump precinct, but there are no cars on Monhegan and no car ferry to the island.

Also, New Shoreham, Rhode Island (another remote island), is shown as 5:09 drive to the nearest Trump precinct. I think it does have a car ferry, though. And Nantucket is shown as a 10:18 (!!) drive to the nearest Trump precinct, but that seems to wildly overstate the amount of time it takes to get from Nantucket to the mainland (and there are Trump precincts right near the ferry on Cape Cod).

The farthest on the "mainland" (connected to the rest of the country by road and not by ferry) I can find is Montauk, New York, which is reported to be a 5:14 drive from the nearest Trump precinct. Problem is that it seems to be picking up a location in Rhode Island, which, while nearest in a straight line, is obviously not the shortest travel time; there are Trump precincts around an hour away elsewhere on Long Island.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2018, 01:24:19 PM »

also is there any way we could put this into DRA ourselves? lol

It will happen in due time

Congrats!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2018, 01:29:30 PM »

The "drive times" don't really make sense for remote islands, though. Monhegan, Maine (might be Stein's best precinct with a non-negligible number of votes - she got 16%) is shown as being a "55 minute drive" from the nearest Trump precinct, but there are no cars on Monhegan and no car ferry to the island.

Also, New Shoreham, Rhode Island (another remote island), is shown as 5:09 drive to the nearest Trump precinct. I think it does have a car ferry, though. And Nantucket is shown as a 10:18 (!!) drive to the nearest Trump precinct, but that seems to wildly overstate the amount of time it takes to get from Nantucket to the mainland (and there are Trump precincts right near the ferry on Cape Cod).

The farthest on the "mainland" (connected to the rest of the country by road and not by ferry) I can find is Montauk, New York, which is reported to be a 5:14 drive from the nearest Trump precinct. Problem is that it seems to be picking up a location in Rhode Island, which, while nearest in a straight line, is obviously not the shortest travel time; there are Trump precincts around an hour away elsewhere on Long Island.

maybe it's counted from Midnight and so the ferry isn't in operation so you need to wait for it?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2018, 05:08:53 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2018, 05:12:16 PM by Tintrlvr »

maybe it's counted from Midnight and so the ferry isn't in operation so you need to wait for it?

Maybe. Seems strange.

Anyway, I've quested to check my assertion that Monhegan, Maine is the most Stein precinct in the country (with a non-negligible number of votes, so excluding any precinct NYT thought had too few votes to color in) and shown myself to be wrong. It appears that there is a precinct on the remote coast north of Fort Bragg, California (only town named on the map in the precinct is Hales Grove, which has a rather barren Wikipedia article) where Stein got 20% of the vote, and another one near there where she hit 16%. She's also only shown in places where she came second. There are a few precincts in the same general area of California (such as one in Willits, California) where the Clinton+Trump total is under 80% (in that case, just 76%) where it's possible that the lion's share of the other vote is Stein, though Johnson generally did well in that area, too, and so the Hales Grove precinct is probably the winner.

Edit: Found another one nearby, this time covering Petrolia, California, that was 22% Stein.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2018, 03:03:02 PM »

Sadly, this map doesn't work anymore.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2018, 03:41:02 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2018, 08:46:26 PM by NOVA Green »

Currently where I live:

Heavily Working-Class Downstate Oregon Manufacturing Town, with some Middle Class Areas and smattering of Millennials and College Students in the precinct. Overwhelming White Census Tract.

2016: (46-40 Trump) +6% R
2012: (53-42 Romney) +11% R    ----> +5% D Swing

Where I lived at the time of the '16 GE:

Metro Portland---- Westside--- Used to be an area where Republicans could at least put on a decent show at the Federal level prior to '08, and even better for Oregon Statewide elections. Generally fairly Upper-Middle Class, with some educated Millennials floating around in parts of the precinct, and also with a decent Jewish Observant/Reform population. Generally skews more Middle Aged because of the cost of home ownership being not that far from Downtown.

2016:  (11-80 HRC)   +69% D
2012:  (18-79 Obama)   +61% D   ---->  +8% D Swing

I'll try to pull up a few more places where I used to live over the past decade or so....
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2018, 10:10:52 PM »

Early childhood: 56-31 Clinton (80th percentile Dem), 10 min away from nearest Trump precinct
1st grade school location: 52-44 Trump (60th percentile Dem), adjacent to nearest Clinton precinct
2nd grade school location: 65-27 Clinton (83rd percentile Dem), adjacent to nearest Trump precinct
3rd grade: 59-34 Clinton (64th percentile Dem), adjacent to nearest Trump precinct
Rest of childhood: 63-24 Clinton (83rd percentile Dem), 10 min away from nearest Trump precinct

College: the immediate vicinity of my school's campus is split into multiple tiny precincts that went 75-90% Clinton and 3-13% Trump. The three precincts I lived in were all around 84-6 (96-97th percentile Dem) and ~23 min away from the nearest Trump precinct.

I'm fairly certain my 1st-3rd grade neighborhoods were reliably R at the time, and can confirm the area I spent the rest of my childhood in has voted reliably D in the last four election cycles.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2018, 09:26:33 PM »

Precinct I lived in NW Harris County Texas for Three Years between '13 and '15:

Heavily Anglo Middle Class Commuter Zone:

2016: (36-59 Trump)        +23% R
2012: (30-67 Romney)     +37% R      +14% D Swing

Precinct where I lived in Santa Clara County California for a Year back at the time of the 2012 elections:

Fairly Anglo Precinct in an overwhelmingly Asian-American (Heavily Chinese/Taiwanese-American) part of South Bay Silicon Valley ....

2016: (17- 76 HRC)      +59% D
2012: (25- 72 Obama)  +47% D         +12% D Swing

I'm starting to think I should move more often, since the swings seem to follow Wink

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2018, 10:57:15 PM »

Why is southern Brooklyn so Republican?

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2018, 11:26:04 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2018, 11:31:54 PM by Tintrlvr »

Primarily ultra-Orthodox Jews, who explain all of the very heavily Republican areas. The more moderately Republican areas are a mix of areas that are heavily "ethnic white" third- and fourth-generation American families (with the most Republican of such areas, like Mill Basin and to a lesser extent Dyker Heights, also being quite wealthy - the more marginal ones tend to be more middle class, but are also rapidly becoming heavily Asian (mainly Chinese) American and more Democratic) and some areas with a lot of recent immigrants from Russia (especially Brighton Beach and Manhattan Beach on the eastern half of Coney Island).

Basically nothing in Brooklyn south of Prospect Park (the six-sided blank space near the middle of the borough) is anything like the stereotypical image non-locals have of the borough.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2018, 02:43:39 AM »

Primarily ultra-Orthodox Jews, who explain all of the very heavily Republican areas. The more moderately Republican areas are a mix of areas that are heavily "ethnic white" third- and fourth-generation American families (with the most Republican of such areas, like Mill Basin and to a lesser extent Dyker Heights, also being quite wealthy - the more marginal ones tend to be more middle class, but are also rapidly becoming heavily Asian (mainly Chinese) American and more Democratic) and some areas with a lot of recent immigrants from Russia (especially Brighton Beach and Manhattan Beach on the eastern half of Coney Island).

Basically nothing in Brooklyn south of Prospect Park (the six-sided blank space near the middle of the borough) is anything like the stereotypical image non-locals have of the borough.

Thanks. That makes sense. I hooked up with a guy in Flatbush-Ditmas Park and when we were walking to his place, I was sorta feeling like I wasn't even in Brooklyn. It was definitely not the image of a bohemian, urbane, trendy area. It was still nice, but very mixed suburban lowscale kind of nice.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2018, 07:26:43 AM »

Old house: 46-45 Clinton
Current house: 49-44 trump
School: 71-22 Clinton
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length